Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 303 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #9061 of 9201 Old 08-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone found any new dates for So Calif (Los Angeles and surrounds) channel line-up change? It appears that MAXX has arrived in parts of the San Fernando West Valley and I've dumped my clearQAM tuners so I don't know if they've cut all that off yet or not.

Still people picking up DTAs at the Chatsworth office, but no one there is giving out a date or confirming any changes to the service as yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9201 Old 08-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I am in the San Marino/South Pasadena system. I called them a few weeks ago and asked when we would get the new channel lineup and higher internet speed. The TW rep said the new channel lineup would be implemented here on Aug 1 and the higher internet speed would be implemented on Aug 4. As of now, there is no new channel lineup.

I checked to see the status of the discontinuation of the analog feeds. The analog feeds are still there, but the image is just a frozen image, probably from a few days ago. There is no message telling people to get a DTA. Channel 68, the home shopping network, is still operating and is not frozen.

There are still many digital channels that are unencrypted.
post #9063 of 9201 Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
I am in the San Marino/South Pasadena system. I called them a few weeks ago and asked when we would get the new channel lineup and higher internet speed. The TW rep said the new channel lineup would be implemented here on Aug 1 and the higher internet speed would be implemented on Aug 4. As of now, there is no new channel lineup.

I checked to see the status of the discontinuation of the analog feeds. The analog feeds are still there, but the image is just a frozen image, probably from a few days ago. There is no message telling people to get a DTA. Channel 68, the home shopping network, is still operating and is not frozen.

There are still many digital channels that are unencrypted.
Check http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html for TV lineup dates. Still no dates for my local cities.
post #9064 of 9201 Old 08-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
Anyone found any new dates for So Calif (Los Angeles and surrounds) channel line-up change? ... snip ...
Here in the South Bay (90250, original TWC) a special letter states in so many words that my Analog Day Of Death will be September 23, 2014; after that date an STB or Digital Adapter will be required to receive TV programming. Time to avoid the already overcrowded offices, if possible.

IMO they won't change the channel lineup until some time after that date. How much later, ???
phildaant likes this.

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: SA 4250HDC Navigator: ODN version 7.3.0_29
post #9065 of 9201 Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Today talking to a CSR sales rep on the channel line up, the date on his last memo for LA County North (Chatsworth Head End, system 0196) is now October 6-11 or 13-18. That's still two months away and they've already done the MAXX upgrade at least in part of this area (zip 91324, 91326 not sure of others).

I also learned that in addition to the cable tv service issues, there are issues with billing codes and on line ordering as well.
phildaant likes this.
post #9066 of 9201 Old 08-04-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Today talking to a CSR sales rep on the channel line up, the date on his last memo for LA County North (Chatsworth Head End, system 0196) is now October 6-11 or 13-18. That's still two months away and they've already done the MAXX upgrade at least in part of this area (zip 91324, 91326 not sure of others)...
Still no confirmed dates and still far away to show up on http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html ... Wow, they are sure having lots of problems. It is a good thing they delayed it.
post #9067 of 9201 Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
They rolled out the Internet speed increases along with reclaiming analog channel bandwidth in major markets. It seems like they want those to work first, maybe due to higher demand for speed over a national channel guide. It's all speculation but if they get the Internet right and then STBs after by the year's end, which is what was promised, it would be a decent move and provide some insights for upgrading smaller areas. Maybe I give TWC more credit then they deserve - prices are pretty high everywhere for the services provided, and possibly because I got the speed increase early, but it's rough watching people bitch and moan daily about 'why don't I have it yet'.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #9068 of 9201 Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Why would rolling out a new channel lineup be technically difficult? It really doesn't require any new software or new bandwith, does it?
phildaant likes this.
post #9069 of 9201 Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Why would rolling out a new channel lineup be technically difficult? It really doesn't require any new software or new bandwith, does it?
There is a lot of back end work when they do this. You need a new guide and you have to download it to all the STB and reboot them. Then all the customers stored favorite recordings needs to be checked (if the show is stored as channel 138 instead of A&E then it has to be reprogrammed by the user) and they have to reset some preferences on their boxes. For cableCARD users with Media Center, they have to re-run tv set-up and pick the new guide and then go through scheduled recordings and verify that shows are going to the proper channels. There will be no more choice of SD over HD for Tivo & Media Center or home DVR use. The STB will get whatever signal is on the cable and output the requested format.

Then there is the issue of configuration files and channel maps for the various devices. Now these are updated daily (at my hub at around 3 AM daily for channel maps and the guide downloads twice a day) but changing the order means a complete rewrite and with that there is the possibility of errors which can result in missing channels, wrong tunes, etc.

So it is a rather involved project and something I would want to rehearse with the new files on a test bay to make sure it was working. When you consider the total number of channels, its rather easy to missing something and not know it until someone calls in with a complaint.

Then there is just the large number of CS phone calls when people can't find their favorite show or channel after the re-numbering.
phildaant likes this.
post #9070 of 9201 Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
The holdup is not technical; it's the onslaught of calls into call centers as they are rolled out.
phildaant likes this.
post #9071 of 9201 Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
Maybe I give TWC more credit then they deserve
One way to find out is to ask yourself whether you really believe the TWC ads where the spokesman says that you shouldn't have to buy what you don't need.
phildaant likes this.
post #9072 of 9201 Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM

It just bothers me that they send out a letter with a hard date for the new lineup (June 5 for where I live). Then they announce they are postponing it until June 12. Then I call them and they give me the date of August 1 for the new lineup. And now, August 5, still no new lineup in San Marino/South Pasadena, and no explanation. I think the new lineup is much better than the current lineup, where channels are just arranged randomly.

But what really gets me is I just think that this lineup roll-out, with the ever-changing dates, has just been handled in a totally unprofessional manner. I don't have much confidence in a company that handles matters in this fashion.

And in my area they are advertising (on their own ads, on cable channels), that the higher internet speeds are available. However, they are not.

If you call them, it is hard to get a live person on the phone. And then, they just want to sell you more services, yet they never give a straight answer about the new lineup and the new speeds.
phildaant likes this.
post #9073 of 9201 Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM

Well, well, they've posted dates:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html

Have a look, find your place and hold your breath.
phildaant likes this.
post #9074 of 9201 Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, well, they've posted dates:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html

Have a look, find your place and hold your breath.
As of? Still might change? :/
post #9075 of 9201 Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
As of? Still might change? :/
Anything can happen, but I got a letter with another "firm date" of 09/17 for WLA 90272, same as show online. Hope it happens this time.

City of Los Angeles (WLA) Channel Line Up [PDF]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twc clu020.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	200577  
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 08-06-2014 at 06:36 PM.
post #9076 of 9201 Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
Anything can happen, but I got a letter with another "firm date" of 09/17 for WLA 90272, same as show online. Hope it happens this time.
LOL. How many times you got these letters so far? I will believe it when I see it deployed. :P
sted likes this.
post #9077 of 9201 Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I'm encouraged with a firm date. No letters in the mail have arrived but I feel better knowing TWC will improve my TV experience soon
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #9078 of 9201 Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
LOL. How many times you got these letters so far? I will believe it when I see it deployed. :P
Two. Yes, TWC let the June date slip. But better to be forewarned rather than have it happen spontaneously. I have a TiVo and am still not sure that recordings from KNBCHD will be transferred to KNBC when the separate HD channel assignments are gone.
phildaant likes this.
post #9079 of 9201 Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Two. Yes, TWC let the June date slip. But better to be forewarned rather than have it happen spontaneously. I have a TiVo and am still not sure that recordings from KNBCHD will be transferred to KNBC when the separate HD channel assignments are gone.
What type of Tivo do you have? Do you like it? Is it networked to other Tivos in your residence? Can you do on demand with the Tivo?
post #9080 of 9201 Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
What type of Tivo do you have? Do you like it? Is it networked to other Tivos in your residence? Can you do on demand with the Tivo?
TiVO Premiere with four tuners. Requires $2.50/mo. CableCard and a free Tuning Adapter for the SDV signals.

Love it, much better than the TWC boxes.

No, but I could network with $99 TiVo Minis. I use cheap (now free) DTAs for the other TVs.

No on-demand, but I do that with a Roku.

http://tivo.com
phildaant likes this.
post #9081 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 41
I'll try to make a long story short. I live in W. Los Angeles and subscribe to TWC for Ultimate Internet. The speed is blazing fast on the download (120 Mb/s)! I don't subscribe to any TV services, but ran the cable line (using a splitter) to my digital TV as well for local channels.

For the past couple o days, many of the local channels have disappeared (FOX 11, KCAL 9, etc.). These used to come in as 89-310, 87-303, etc. I re-ran the TV channel scan and it only found 12 stations (under digital cable TV mode). It used to find about 60-80 channels.

My mom who lives a few blocks away subscribes to basic local TV through TWC. She was getting fed up with the way the channel line-up kept changing on her digital TV (no box or cable card). So she just opted to get their basic box which they're sending for free (no monthly fee until 2015...or something like that). She gets all the local stations fine now, and gets it in the right number (e.g. channel 2 is CBS instead of 88-305).

Why isn't TWC broadcasting some local channels to regular digital TV's? I thought there was some FCC law that stated they can't encrypt local TV signals?

Is it time that I try to put up an antenna in my apartment? I had one, but reception wasn't great due to another large building blocking my signal.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #9082 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
I'll try to make a long story short. I live in W. Los Angeles and subscribe to TWC for Ultimate Internet. The speed is blazing fast on the download (120 Mb/s)! I don't subscribe to any TV services, but ran the cable line (using a splitter) to my digital TV as well for local channels.

For the past couple o days, many of the local channels have disappeared (FOX 11, KCAL 9, etc.). These used to come in as 89-310, 87-303, etc. I re-ran the TV channel scan and it only found 12 stations (under digital cable TV mode). It used to find about 60-80 channels.

My mom who lives a few blocks away subscribes to basic local TV through TWC. She was getting fed up with the way the channel line-up kept changing on her digital TV (no box or cable card). So she just opted to get their basic box which they're sending for free (no monthly fee until 2015...or something like that). She gets all the local stations fine now, and gets it in the right number (e.g. channel 2 is CBS instead of 88-305).

Why isn't TWC broadcasting some local channels to regular digital TV's? I thought there was some FCC law that stated they can't encrypt local TV signals?

Is it time that I try to put up an antenna in my apartment? I had one, but reception wasn't great due to another large building blocking my signal.
FCC allowed cable companies to encrypt those QAM channels last year or so. Also, no more analog channels soon.
post #9083 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
FCC allowed cable companies to encrypt those QAM channels last year or so. Also, no more analog channels soon.
I am soooo behind times on this stuff! And I just took down my balcony antenna a couple of months ago since I had to keep adjusting it.

So it's either $20/month to TWC for local channels or put up with constantly turning an antenna. Oh boy....I hate TV.
phildaant likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
post #9084 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I am soooo behind times on this stuff! And I just took down my balcony antenna a couple of months ago since I had to keep adjusting it.

So it's either $20/month to TWC for local channels or put up with constantly turning an antenna. Oh boy....I hate TV.
Since you weren't paying for television service for all this time, consider it a bargain at $20 now for the most basic of cable, with a DTA.
phildaant likes this.
post #9085 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Since you weren't paying for television service for all this time, consider it a bargain at $20 now for the most basic of cable, with a DTA.
Ya, you're right. I just hate paying for broadcast TV. And I'm sure there's a fee for the box rental too since there's no more clear QAM.
phildaant likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
post #9086 of 9201 Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Ya, you're right. I just hate paying for broadcast TV. And I'm sure there's a fee for the box rental too since there's no more clear QAM.
Cable TV has charged for delivering clear broadcast signals to viewers since the beginning of cable TV. Of course, where you live, an antenna is an option. For some, like me, it isn't due to geography. Since you've been mooching free video service for all this time, your complaints about having to pay now because you're being turned off are rather weak.

The DTA is free until the end of 2015.
phildaant likes this.
post #9087 of 9201 Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 PM

I just bought a tivo roamio and a roamio plus. I hooked the roamio plus up with no problem and it took a cable card no problem. However, the guide that it shows is the new channel guide, even though the new channel lineup has been delayed. TW never should have announced a date for the lineup, then changed it a few times, now setting it for October. But I don't want to complain to Tivo, because if I do they won't listen to me anyway, or if they do listen to me and change to the old lineup then it will be hard to get them to change to the new one on time. The upshot of this is that it is hard to schedule recordings.

When I hooked the roamio up, I couldn't get it to accept a cable card. It kept saying not locked on the DAVIC info screen. I switched cable outlets in the house, I switched cable cards, nothing worked. I finally gave up and am running the roamio off of an antenna. It is the only model that can accept an antenna.

So far overall the equipment is working well. The interface is much better and response time is much faster than TW dvrs. Also, my TW dvr was always having to be reset. So far the tivo doesn't have that problem.

On an unrelated matter, I noticed that we are bonded both upstream and downstream here in SPas/San Marino.
phildaant likes this.
post #9088 of 9201 Old 08-16-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I just bought a tivo roamio and a roamio plus. I hooked the roamio plus up with no problem and it took a cable card no problem. However, the guide that it shows is the new channel guide, even though the new channel lineup has been delayed. TW never should have announced a date for the lineup, then changed it a few times, now setting it for October.
Same problem with TitanTV, online TV listings.

They, too, have already replaced my TWC Hollywood/Westchester channel lineup with the new one, based on the originally announced TWC schedule. This makes it impossible to now make any further changes to my existing "Favorites" lineup which was originally composed of channels taken from a combination of (1) OTA Broadcast Stations Los Angeles lineup, and (2) then original pre-change Time Warner Hollywood/Westchester lineup.

Thankfully, at least the current "Favorites" is frozen for me with its original still-valid TWC/LA channel numbers, even though the underlying new prematurely appearing TWC Hollywood/Westchester list doesn't look anything like this any longer.

Oh well, just another two months until for me this enters what is sure to be yet another month or two of probably even worse and directly affecting confusion and scheduled recording issues with my Windows Media Center and the Zap2it-provided channel lineups and Program Guide info.
phildaant likes this.
post #9089 of 9201 Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

When I hooked the roamio up, I couldn't get it to accept a cable card. It kept saying not locked on the DAVIC info screen. I switched cable outlets in the house, I switched cable cards, nothing worked. I finally gave up and am running the roamio off of an antenna. It is the only model that can accept an antenna.

So far overall the equipment is working well. The interface is much better and response time is much faster than TW dvrs. Also, my TW dvr was always having to be reset. So far the tivo doesn't have that problem.

Not being able to lock the OOB signal was I problem I was having from June 19 to about July 31 when suddenly I was able to lock up my Ceton 6 tuner PCIe cards again. You should most certainly call TIVO and talk to them. They have some pull with TWC (read a number of legal cases) and might be able to determine the problem or have TWC determine what's going on in your area. When I couldn't lock OOB, TWC came out and verified all signal levels and I could lock Silicon Dust and 4 tuner Ceton devices.

I haven't set up a Tivo in some time, but with Media Center you get to choose your service provider and guide and both the old and new TWC digital guides are offered for this area (LA County North) and I was able to continue with the current guide until the big event in October. Again, talk to Tivo there are things they can do since they talk to your Tivo via the internet and that's how they send you the guide and do updates.

Let us know what the Tivo guys have to say about this issue...the TWC cableCARD guys are aware of the problems and the second problem after you get the OOB for DAVIC is to get the CA stream authorization which can be problematic at the current rebuild level as well, but it can be done, it just might require unplugging and re-plugging the cableCARD in the unit while on the phone with TWC for pairing.
phildaant likes this.
post #9090 of 9201 Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Same problem with TitanTV, online TV listings.

They, too, have already replaced my TWC Hollywood/Westchester channel lineup with the new one, based on the originally announced TWC schedule. This makes it impossible to now make any further changes to my existing "Favorites" lineup which was originally composed of channels taken from a combination of (1) OTA Broadcast Stations Los Angeles lineup, and (2) then original pre-change Time Warner Hollywood/Westchester lineup.

Thankfully, at least the current "Favorites" is frozen for me with its original still-valid TWC/LA channel numbers, even though the underlying new prematurely appearing TWC Hollywood/Westchester list doesn't look anything like this any longer.

Oh well, just another two months until for me this enters what is sure to be yet another month or two of probably even worse and directly affecting confusion and scheduled recording issues with my Windows Media Center and the Zap2it-provided channel lineups and Program Guide info.
Still on the old line-up here in 90272. I just ran the Guided Setup on my TiVo since a couple of channels where in the wrong places. I used 90272 ZIP and TiVo suggested either TWC Sherman Oaks, or TWC City of Los Angeles. I chose LA, confirmed when it asked is SNLA was on the right channel, and the guide is now right on, with KCBS still at 2 and 402. You should try with a Venice or other nearby ZIP to see if the channel line-up is closer to yours.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 08-16-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page