Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 304 - AVS Forum
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Los Angeles, CA - TWC
WackyPacks's Avatar WackyPacks 06:44 PM 08-16-2014
I am in the Eagle Rock territory and received a notice today off a analog cutoff date of October 7.

henhowc's Avatar henhowc 03:11 AM 08-18-2014
So ETA for West LA seems to be mid September. PDF does say the channel listing is from June 2014. So wouldn't be surprised if there continue to be delays. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
Ya, you're right. I just hate paying for broadcast TV. And I'm sure there's a fee for the box rental too since there's no more clear QAM.
I was doing the same (except using an indoor antenna...my dummy self didn't realize that I could split and get free local channels). After reading about the upcoming switch to digital and encryption of QAM, I inquired with TWC about switching to a starter TV and internet bundle. I'm actually paying less now for the bundle than I was paying for Turbo Internet by itself.

So yeah its not all doom and gloom. You should call them up and see if they have any deals available to you for bundling up. Also like someone mentioned the DTA is free until 2016. After that its 99cents a month which isn't too bad. At least in my case, this is way better than having my tv signal dropping in and out every so often and having to adjust an antenna any time I wanted to watch those pesky VHF channels that always seem to be losing signal on indoor antennas.
cstu's Avatar cstu 07:34 PM 08-20-2014
If someone activated a Cisco 170HD on their account would I be able to use it?
SPDICKEY's Avatar SPDICKEY 07:58 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstu View Post
If someone activated a Cisco 170HD on their account would I be able to use it?
If you're on the same head end as "someone," you also have paid for cable service, and you hook up "someone's" box to your TV outlet, sure it will work. TWC doesn't know exactly where the box is, just that its somewhere in the same system.

It won't work at my house, since this head end uses the Technicolor DTAs.
holl_ands's Avatar holl_ands 08:42 AM 08-21-2014
Not sure what you trying to do....but you should know that TWC Enables/Disables service to each drop via a remotely controlled Filter.

TWC also knows the EXPECTED Round-Trip-Time to that address and has the ability to determine if a box is activated with a DIFFERENT RTT....which violates your friend's Service Agreement, which can cost HIM dearly and also constitutes Theft-Of-Service, which can cost YOU dearly in penalties and back charges.
SPDICKEY's Avatar SPDICKEY 10:18 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Not sure what you trying to do....but you should know that TWC Enables/Disables service to each drop via a remotely controlled Filter.

TWC also knows the EXPECTED Round-Trip-Time to that address and has the ability to determine if a box is activated with a DIFFERENT RTT....which violates your friend's Service Agreement, which can cost HIM dearly and also constitutes Theft-Of-Service, which can cost YOU dearly in penalties and back charges.
Addressable filters (traps)? Not here in my system. Our tap is located in a box outside my condo. No traps there, just drops connected directly to ports. That the system isn't addressable outside the home is the whole reason TWC now requires addressable DTAs or cable boxes to decode scrambled signals.

RTT can't be measured from devices like DTAs since they are one way devices and don't transmit back to the head end.
holl_ands's Avatar holl_ands 12:53 PM 08-21-2014
To eliminate truck rolls every time someone moved or changed Tiers, a number of years ago, Cable systems switched from individual Tier Filter(s) installed in the individual home connection box (or Pedestal) and are now using ADDRESSABLE TAPs or SPLITTERS contained in a DIFFERENT BOX. There are usually two controls: enable/disable each house and enable/disable JUST the Analog Channel Tier (up thru about Ch70 or so):
http://www.electroline.com/product_ultima.php
http://www.multicominc.com/active/ma...ress_split.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/...02497-01_F.pdf

Addressable Taps/Splitter Utility Boxes may also contain CATV Line Amplifiers and Frequency Response "Slope" Compensation Filters. They are usually found in GREEN CURB-SIDE Utility Boxes (about 2'x1.5'x1') that typically look like this one in SOCAL region (YMMV):
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/image...box%282%29.jpg
Each of these taps off the neighborhood CATV "Loop", sending signals to typically 16 homes via a Circular Pedestal that feeds either two adjacent or individual homes. These locked Pedestals USED TO contain Tier Filters:
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/image...ations_box.jpg
holl_ands's Avatar holl_ands 01:37 PM 08-21-2014
Yup, DTA and CableCARD don't have a Reverse Data Channel, so they can't tell the headend which Switched Digital Video (SDV) channel they want (which are MOST digital channels), as well as PPV, OnDemand......and a big gotcha IMHO...the Interactive Channel Guide.

And, unfortunately the Tuning Adapter Box ONLY works with CableCARD equipped TiVo DVR to enable reception of SDV Channels.
SPDICKEY's Avatar SPDICKEY 03:10 PM 08-21-2014
Quote:
To eliminate truck rolls every time someone moved or changed Tiers, a number of years ago, Cable systems switched from individual Tier Filter(s) installed in the individual home connection box (or Pedestal) and are now using ADDRESSABLE TAPs or SPLITTERS contained in a DIFFERENT BOX. There are usually two controls: enable/disable each house and enable/disable JUST the Analog Channel Tier (up thru about Ch70 or so):
http://www.electroline.com/product_ultima.php
http://www.multicominc.com/active/ma...ress_split.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/...02497-01_F.pdf

TWC in my neighborhood never used addressable taps. I do remember premium channel traps (individual channels) and tier traps that were phased out when scrambling and set top boxes came around. There were also negative and positive traps. Remember the beep beep beep on a premium channel you didn't subscriber to? A trap stripped out the jamming signal to allow a subscriber to see the channel. Every time you changed premium channels, a truck needed to be rolled to a subscriber's individual drop to make the change.

Addressable Taps/Splitter Utility Boxes may also contain CATV Line Amplifiers and Frequency Response "Slope" Compensation Filters. They are usually found in GREEN CURB-SIDE Utility Boxes (about 2'x1.5'x1') that typically look like this one in SOCAL region (YMMV):
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/image...box%282%29.jpg
Each of these taps off the neighborhood CATV "Loop", sending signals to typically 16 homes via a Circular Pedestal that feeds either two adjacent or individual homes. These locked Pedestals USED TO contain Tier Filters:
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/image...ations_box.jpg
The whole purpose of the digital transition is to eliminate trapping in systems.

Anything upstream of the tap is feeding multiple homes. Any trapping would have to be installed at the individual drop to the subscriber. That square green box you pictured may have just taps, it also may have amplifiers that feed a neighborhood. Could be a node where fiber connects to coax. The round pedestal probably only contains taps that feed four to six homes.

And now that the analogs are gone, and data channels are now using that portion of the bandwidth, any trap (addressable or not) are obsolete and would need to be physically (in the case of non-addressable) removed . This started happening a long time ago when the digital packages were released, and old time trapping of channels was used less and less. Here in this system, that means the old time HBO and Z channel positive and negative traps were pulled when premiums went scrambled. The last traps to be removed will be the ones that limited reception to 2-36 for the old "limited basic" tiers, and the "data only" traps now that data has spread to more of the bandwidth. The only thing left will be the locks that don't pass anything, they're just F-connector locks that supposedly can't be removed by a pair of pliers.

And as you mentioned, DTAs don't send anything upstream, so there is nothing communicated to the head end and time delay can't be measured. That only happens with two way set top boxes, and cable modems.

In my newly rebuilt system, while we were launching high speed data, we could take a cable modem anywhere in the system served by the same CTMS, which served a huge swath of area. We could hook it up to any drop, and it would fire up just fine. No one back at the office was looking at ping times to see if modems were moving around. There are a lot of reasons that timing would change, not just that the device physically moved.

And "most" digital channels on switched digital is an overstatement. Perhaps not even "many." Certainly a few, at least in my system. I can tell what I can see on my tuning adapter equipped TiVo vs. what's available on a set with a DTA. Its a "small handful."
crackedscreen's Avatar crackedscreen 04:35 PM 08-21-2014
What I currently get via QAM:

2: Analog static
70: Analog static
87.301: KNBC-HD
87.302: KABC-HD
87.303: KTTV-HD
88.305: KCBS-HD
88.306: KTLA-HD
88.307: KMEX-HD
110.2: On demand promo loop
110.3: On demand promo loop
110.4: On demand promo loop
110.5: On demand promo loop
134.1204: WGN America HD
135.149: On demand promo loop
135.151: On demand info slide
135.158: RT (some strange news channel)
135.1055: TWC local traffic & weather

Last year I was in the area, I was able to get almost all of the local OTA stations and their subchannels, along with some basic cable channels via QAM. Not so much this time.
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 04:37 PM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedscreen View Post

2: Analog static
70: Analog static
87.301: KNBC-HD
87.302: KABC-HD
87.303: KTTV-HD
88.305: KCBS-HD
88.306: KTLA-HD
88.307: KMEX-HD
110.2: On demand promo loop
110.3: On demand promo loop
110.4: On demand promo loop
110.5: On demand promo loop
134.1204: WGN America HD
135.149: On demand promo loop
135.151: On demand info slide
135.158: RT (some strange news channel)
135.1055: TWC local traffic & weather

Last year I was in the area, I was able to get almost all of the local OTA stations and their subchannels, along with some basic cable channels via QAM. Not so much this time.
Wow. I wonder if my parents' HDTV get less these days. A couple weeks ago, it still had a lot.
cstu's Avatar cstu 04:58 PM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
If you're on the same head end as "someone," you also have paid for cable service, and you hook up "someone's" box to your TV outlet, sure it will work. TWC doesn't know exactly where the box is, just that its somewhere in the same system.

It won't work at my house, since this head end uses the Technicolor DTAs.
Thanks. Not planning to do this by the way or suggesting anyone do it, just legitimately curious since it seemed like it would work. As far as needing to have service yourself, if the box was activated how would it not work?
Mastaclocksetta's Avatar Mastaclocksetta 06:40 PM 08-21-2014
Just noticed today that 90024 got the new internet speeds. I have standard, which was 15 mbps down and 1 or 2 (don't remember which) mbps up. Now it's 50/5, as evidenced in the attached picture.
Attached: 3705170493.jpg (53.5 KB) 
johnw248's Avatar johnw248 06:56 PM 08-21-2014
Quote:
And, unfortunately the Tuning Adapter Box ONLY works with CableCARD equipped TiVo DVR to enable reception of SDV Channels.

Tuning adapters also work with cableCARD tuners in Win7 and Win8 and provide access to SDV channels.

Here in the West Valley the cableCARD alone has 340 channels available, The Tuning Adapter has access to 843 channels so that means that 503 channels are available switched. If you have a Cisco 1520 you can verify if the channel is broadcast or switched by going into the diagnostic map and looking at the tuner in use Looks for SDV SESSION A, B, C. Tuners 0,1 will be in A, 2,3 in B, 4, 5 in C.
Here is a sample of a non-switched channel:
SESSION-1
Name-Status: LTSID0-Idle
Session Id: 54d46f7b3ac800000000
SamSvcId/Type: 61850/Broadcast
Source Id: 55042

and a switched on another tuner
SESSION-2
Name-Status: LTSID1-Ready
Session Id: 54d46f7b3ac801000000
SamSvcId/Type: 61869/Switched
Source Id: 62081

The TA also knows if you're watching or recording. If recording it won't time out with a press any button to continue watching.
sted 11:10 PM 08-21-2014
Faster speeds are here in San Marino/South Pasadena. I just did a speedtest.net test.

Ping: 16 ms
Download: 82.45 Mbps
Upload: 10.48 Mbps
SPDICKEY's Avatar SPDICKEY 02:09 PM 08-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
Faster speeds are here in San Marino/South Pasadena. I just did a speedtest.net test.

Ping: 16 ms
Download: 82.45 Mbps
Upload: 10.48 Mbps
Got MAXX in 90272 yesterday.
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 12:45 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedscreen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Wow. I wonder if my parents' HDTV get less these days. A couple weeks ago, it still had a lot.
The channels are dropping like flies for the last few weeks. At my mom's residence, where she subscribes to the starter TV, she just received a box to continue receiving starter TV (the digital TV can't tune those otr channels through the cable line). At my place, a few blocks away, I installed an antenna in the attic and am now only getting Internet service from TWC.

I subscribe to Ultimate Internet. In the last week, my upload speed doubled from 5mbs to 10mbs. I get 100mbs+ download. Very happy with Internet service. I'll pay whatever it costs for fast Internet access, but I refuse to pay for TV!

joe221's Avatar joe221 03:55 PM 08-25-2014
My upload speed bumped to 10 up, down is still 100. They're working on it.
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 10:10 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Hey neighbor! I'm 90025 as well. The bump in upload speed is a huge plus. Wondering if we'll ever see that 300mbs download speed. I'm waiting anxiously.
joe221's Avatar joe221 11:20 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Hey neighbor! I'm 90025 as well. The bump in upload speed is a huge plus. Wondering if we'll ever see that 300mbs download speed. I'm waiting anxiously.
Remember to reboot your modem. Then test. The speed rollout seems to be humming along.
nyctveng's Avatar nyctveng 08:34 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
If you have an 8 channel modem, it won't go above 100.
joe221's Avatar joe221 09:42 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
If you have an 8 channel modem, it won't go above 100.
I have this one, it mentions 8 channels but tops out over 340 down?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
I just said to hell with it and bought the 6183.
I'll sell the old one, still in warranty if they allow for transfer.
joe221's Avatar joe221 10:00 AM 08-26-2014
I posted an Amazon link. It was converted to Sears. Wow. Correct modem.
fastsvo's Avatar fastsvo 10:26 AM 08-26-2014
Which modem should I purchase to be compatible with the new system? Link?
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 10:38 AM 08-26-2014
I have the SB6141. Purchased it from Best Buy a few months ago. Per the specs, it's supposed to support 300+ mbs, but I'm not an expert on this. The SB6183 is brand new and just about to hit the market. Both the SB6141 and SB6183 are on TWC's approved modem list for Ultimate 100. There is no mention of Ultimate 300 plan on the approved modems:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...our-modem.html

I'm hoping the SB6141 will handle the new upcoming speeds.
nyctveng's Avatar nyctveng 02:37 PM 08-26-2014
Quote:
I have this one, it mentions 8 channels but tops out over 340 down?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
I just said to hell with it and bought the 6183.
I'll sell the old one, still in warranty if they allow for transfer.
It's capable of 340 but to manage traffic, TWC will not provision it for over 100. Only 16 channel modems such as 6183 will be provisioned for over 100.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...ovedmodems.pdf
SPDICKEY's Avatar SPDICKEY 05:57 PM 08-26-2014
Quote:
I have the SB6141. Purchased it from Best Buy a few months ago. Per the specs, it's supposed to support 300+ mbs, but I'm not an expert on this. The SB6183 is brand new and just about to hit the market. Both the SB6141 and SB6183 are on TWC's approved modem list for Ultimate 100. There is no mention of Ultimate 300 plan on the approved modems:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...our-modem.html

I'm hoping the SB6141 will handle the new upcoming speeds.

Give up all hope on the SB6141 doing anything better than 100 on TWC. You're looking at an old list.

The new approved modem list at http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...ovedmodems.pdf shows the SB6183 as the only one approved for Ultimate 200 and 300.

You can find it for sale (backordered) at http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola...otorola+sb6183
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 06:16 PM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
Give up all hope on the SB6141 doing anything better than 100 on TWC. You're looking at an old list.

The new approved modem list at http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...ovedmodems.pdf shows the SB6183 as the only one approved for Ultimate 200 and 300.

You can find it for sale (backordered) at http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola...otorola+sb6183
I wonder why TWC didn't use the new list in their web page.
HowardV's Avatar HowardV 06:26 PM 08-26-2014
Damn it! So, before I take a loss on my SB6141 and jump on the SB6183 bandwagon, I wonder how much more Ultimate 200 and 300 will cost (if any). And do I *need* it? Maybe I'll just rent a box for one month and try it out before I commit to this change.

Thanks for the info!
phildaant's Avatar phildaant 06:33 PM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Damn it! So, before I take a loss on my SB6141 and jump on the SB6183 bandwagon, I wonder how much more Ultimate 200 and 300 will cost (if any). And do I *need* it? Maybe I'll just rent a box for one month and try it out before I commit to this change.

Thanks for the info!
For me, 15/1 was good enough. I don't need crazy 200, 300, etc. I'd like faster upload speeds. 1 is lame!
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop