Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #9211 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Yeah, rebooting is pretty quick on the DCX3400.

Trying to see if I'm the odd man out with the scheduler populating....seems not so far

The TWC CS rep was so adamant that it should not take so long, and that it should populate out to 3 weeks! She even asked her supervisor and he concurred!

It's always taken so long for me, and I remember reading posts here of the same complaint FWIR, but they were adamant about this!

That being said, the scheduler does seem to be populating faster than normal. All channels (it seems) are populated up to 4:30pm today already after about 30 mins since boot. This seems faster than before---maybe since there's fewer channel #'s to populate now?
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9212 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Is that Navigator?
I don't know what it's called....no name onscreen that I could find?
phildaant likes this.
post #9213 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I don't know what it's called....no name onscreen that I could find?
iGuide: http://static.twcableuntangled.com/w.../07/iguide.jpg
Navigator (prettier): http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2012...-box-near-you/

IIRC, your model can only do iGuide.
post #9214 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Definitely iGuide.

Surprised they can call it that w/o Apple suing them!
phildaant likes this.
post #9215 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Definitely iGuide.

Surprised they can call it that w/o Apple suing them!
http://www.tcc.coop/iGuide/dual/web/
TV Guide owns the name i-guide and Apple doesn't own the letter 'i'
phildaant likes this.
post #9216 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
I am surprised Apple didn't call their new watches as iWatch!
post #9217 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
It was a somewhat rhetorical question
phildaant likes this.
post #9218 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of iGuide and Navigator, which ones do you guys like better if you used both before? Navigator is prettier, but it still has lots of bugs IMO and slow boot ups. iGuide is faster and uglier, but who cares.
post #9219 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That being said, the scheduler does seem to be populating faster than normal. All channels (it seems) are populated up to 4:30pm today already after about 30 mins since boot. This seems faster than before---maybe since there's fewer channel #'s to populate now?
I guess I jinxed myself.

While it did only take about 30 mins from boot to load all channels up to 4:30pm in the guide (the boot was around 1130am, so 5 hrs of guide programs in 30 mins), it has basically stalled at that point since then. For the last hr it hasn't gone into the 5pm timeslots yet, still stuck at 430pm guide timeslot, since the initial loading after the boot (30 mins in).

So it appears to have slowed down the repopulate! Back to normal guide load delay.

If it continued loading at the initial load rate, my whole guide woulda been loaded in about 12 hrs!
phildaant likes this.
post #9220 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I jinxed myself.

While it did only take about 30 mins from boot to load all channels up to 4:30pm in the guide (the boot was around 1130am, so 5 hrs of guide programs in 30 mins), it has basically stalled at that point since then. For the last hr it hasn't gone into the 5pm timeslots yet, still stuck at 430pm guide timeslot, since the initial loading after the boot (30 mins in).

So it appears to have slowed down the repopulate! Back to normal guide load delay.

If it continued loading at the initial load rate, my whole guide woulda been loaded in about 12 hrs!
Hey, that is like over the air (OTA)'s schedule data stuff that hold that much. DTV Pal DVR can only hold a few hours. These DVRs used to use TV Guide that went a week, but Roxio(?) dropped TV Guide support for CBS2 transmitters.
post #9221 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey, that is like over the air (OTA)'s schedule data stuff that hold that much. DTV Pal DVR can only hold a few hours. These DVRs used to use TV Guide that went a week, but Roxio(?) dropped TV Guide support for CBS2 transmitters.
Not sure I understand.

I don't have anything OTA, cable only (in the hills, so OTA is very spotty). So just TWC cable direct to my Moto DCX3400.

"DTV Pal DVR"> Pal? As in European interlaced?

5pm to 630pm has just loaded for all channels (7pm on not loaded yet). So it looks like it's loading in 2hr chunks currently, though it took over 1 hr to load 2hrs of the scheduler
post #9222 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
When I used to have the Motorola DVR's with I-Guide software, I never could figure out why the Guide design and re-boot software architecture didn't just restart from the last version of the downloaded program information it had stored on its hard drive.

Obviously after 5+ days the local copy (on hard drive, which appears instantly when you push the GUIDE button) is up-to-date. Even if they wanted to always re-populate the "most current and accurate data" at every re-boot (although clearly immediately before the re-boot the local hard drive data was clearly already the most accurate and up-to-date at that moment, since presumably it was being updated continuously as time goes by) in order to potentially guard against corrupted data on the hard drive, why not just at least just start instantly from whatever was last on the hard drive and refresh it "accurately" in realtime?

How could that not be a reasonable starting point for re-boot approach, with ZERO re-start effort to get the user back in business INSTANTLY?? What's the possibility that the GUIDE information is corrupted, and is actually unusable for an instant restart idea?

But even if a full refresh of GUIDE data is desired, how long could it take to download even 2 weeks of cells of GUIDE text/info information for even 2000 channels??? Send it out in a ZIP format rather than uncompressed and it takes what... maybe a minute tops? Less?? These are broadband connection speeds for heaven's sake!

How ANY modern equipment design and software technology running at anything faster than old dial-up 14.4Kb/s modem speeds could take FIVE DAYS to intentionally repopulate GUIDE data for 12-13 days (which is the max I ever saw it show when I had DCT/DCH/DCX equipment) using a ZIP or similarly compressed approach is beyond me.
post #9223 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand.

I don't have anything OTA, cable only (in the hills, so OTA is very spotty). So just TWC cable direct to my Moto DCX3400.

"DTV Pal DVR"> Pal? As in European interlaced?

5pm to 630pm has just loaded for all channels (7pm on not loaded yet). So it looks like it's loading in 2hr chunks currently, though it took over 1 hr to load 2hrs of the scheduler
Before I moved, I didn't have TWC cable TV (only Internet). The new place has spotty OTA as well (KTLA 5.x, KSCI 18.x, etc.) When I was using my Echostar/Dish DTV Pal DVR for OTA TV, its guide (not TV Guide that was discontinued) was limited. Your issue reminded me of that limited guide from the local transmitters.
post #9224 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
When I used to have the Motorola DVR's with I-Guide software, I never could figure out why the Guide design and re-boot software architecture didn't just restart from the last version of the downloaded program information it had stored on its hard drive.

Obviously after 5+ days the local copy (on hard drive, which appears instantly when you push the GUIDE button) is up-to-date. Even if they wanted to always re-populate the "most current and accurate data" at every re-boot (although clearly immediately before the re-boot the local hard drive data was clearly already the most accurate and up-to-date at that moment, since presumably it was being updated continuously as time goes by) in order to potentially guard against corrupted data on the hard drive, why not just at least just start instantly from whatever was last on the hard drive and refresh it "accurately" in realtime?

How could that not be a reasonable starting point for re-boot approach, with ZERO re-start effort to get the user back in business INSTANTLY?? What's the possibility that the GUIDE information is corrupted, and is actually unusable for an instant restart idea?

But even if a full refresh of GUIDE data is desired, how long could it take to download even 2 weeks of cells of GUIDE text/info information for even 2000 channels??? Send it out in a ZIP format rather than uncompressed and it takes what... maybe a minute tops? Less?? These are broadband connection speeds for heaven's sake!

How ANY modern equipment design and software technology running at anything faster than old dial-up 14.4Kb/s modem speeds could take FIVE DAYS to intentionally repopulate GUIDE data for 12-13 days (which is the max I ever saw it show when I had DCT/DCH/DCX equipment) using a ZIP or similarly compressed approach is beyond me.
I have always felt this way...seems bizarre it would take that amount of time to load what is essentially text info at broadband speeds.

But what's even more bizarre is that TWC is telling me this is NOT normal, the CS and her supervisor says it should only take a 'couple of hrs', that there must be 'something wrong with my DVR'. This goes contrary to what I've experienced over 12+ years of varies DVR's, and what I've read here FWIR.

I assume it takes just as long for your DVR to load the full guide? And only for about 1.5 weeks of info? Not 3 weeks?
phildaant likes this.
post #9225 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I assume it takes just as long for your DVR to load the full guide? And only for about 1.5 weeks of info? Not 3 weeks?
I haven't had a true TWC DVR for four years now. I'm operating an HTPC based on Windows Media Center for my whole-home solution, with internal PCIe Ceton (cable) and internal PCIe Hauppauge (OTA) tuner cards.

WMC has Guide info stored locally on hard drive so there is ZERO refresh time if you re-boot Windows. It's just instantly re-available in its last most-current up-to-date form. Guide data is updated nightly (at around 3AM), provided to WMC machines in every zip code and for every cable/sat/OTA provider all over the country (world?) by Zap2it which has a contract with MS to deliver the data. Guide data from Zap2it for WMC runs out about 12-13 days tops, same as TWC shows on their Moto/Arris boxes.

When I had TWC boxes, I don't recall ever having anything beyond perhaps 2 weeks of Guide data absolute tops maybe. 12-13 days was also what the usual outer limit was for me.
phildaant likes this.
post #9226 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's the story with the Technicolor little boxes? Why are some channels in stretchovision SD when after the rollout they were supposed to be in HD. Is this normal now. I've been waiting for the rollout for it all to go to the correct resolution. Example is MSNBC which was in HD when I got the box. Then it popped into the weird squeezed version. After the new rollout it's still like that just on a new channel(s). I think I need DirecTV to kill my last TWC TV.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #9227 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
If you reformat a Replay TV hard drive with with a new OS then tell it to connect for guide listings, everything 11 days into the future is downloaded over Ethernet in ... maybe 5-10 minutes more or less. Just speculating but is TWC's contract to Tribune for guide data delivered over 56K modem speeds? Maybe there's a throttled bandwidth benefit to deliver the guide slowly?

Arvy
post #9228 of 9228 Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
What's the story with the Technicolor little boxes? Why are some channels in stretchovision SD when after the rollout they were supposed to be in HD. Is this normal now. I've been waiting for the rollout for it all to go to the correct resolution. Example is MSNBC which was in HD when I got the box. Then it popped into the weird squeezed version. After the new rollout it's still like that just on a new channel(s). I think I need DirecTV to kill my last TWC TV.
Same here in 90272 (we share same channel line-up), MSNBC was in full 1080i, I noticed today it was back to 480i with a few other channels and the DTA puts it in stretch-o-vision, CNN is okay in 1080i.

Everything is okay with my TiVo, tuning adapter and CableCard.

TWC should fix the channel maps soon.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; Today at 11:40 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page