118Likes

post #9241 of 9251 Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
I bought a Roamio a few weeks ago. It mapped to the new channel guide even though we are still on the old guide. Thus, it has been difficult to record things except by setting the recordings on the low numbers (2-98).
You're current (old) channel line-up is still available. Just do another guided setup, enter your ZIP and when shown a couple of channel line-ups, don't select either. Don't accept the sample channels they present that are below 99. You'll then be given a dozen or two different line-ups to select, go through the ones you think are yours, looking at each lineup until you find one that exactly matches yours. It probably will not have digital rebuild in its name.

You'll then go through the same process after TWC changes your line-up, then you'd select one that usually says digital rebuild.
sted likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 9251 Old 09-28-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
and now the channels in the 1200s are getting signal again
post #9243 of 9251 Old 09-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
You're current (old) channel line-up is still available. Just do another guided setup, enter your ZIP and when shown a couple of channel line-ups, don't select either. Don't accept the sample channels they present that are below 99. You'll then be given a dozen or two different line-ups to select, go through the ones you think are yours, looking at each lineup until you find one that exactly matches yours. It probably will not have digital rebuild in its name.

You'll then go through the same process after TWC changes your line-up, then you'd select one that usually says digital rebuild.
Thanks. I didn't realize that I could do that.

On another topic, can anyone tell me why WGN is available throughout most of Southern California on Time-Warner, yet is not available on the South Pasadena/San Marino system?
phildaant likes this.
post #9244 of 9251 Old 09-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

On another topic, can anyone tell me why WGN is available throughout most of Southern California on Time-Warner, yet is not available on the South Pasadena/San Marino system?
WGN was grandfathered in by the former owners of the cable systems before they were acquired by TWC. Your system was built by ATC (American Telecommunications and Communications) who was owned then by Time Inc. You're in one of the few systems that TWC didn't acquire over the years, since they're the ones who originally built it.

From the LA Times in 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
John Bernardi, city manager of South Pasadena, said he is happy with ATC's service in his city. "To my knowledge, in the last two years there have been only two complaints," he said.

The 5-year-old system offers 37 channels and serves 3,500 of the 10,500 households in the city, according to Antonio Dominguez, ATC's general manager in South Pasadena. Basic service is $12.95, movie channels are $10.95, considered average for the industry.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-...on-franchise/2
sted likes this.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 09-29-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fix formatting
post #9245 of 9251 Old 09-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Expect WGN to gain wider dsitribution in SoCal once they drop their superstation status and convert to a basic cable channel similar to what TBS did many years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/bu...work.html?_r=0
sted likes this.
post #9246 of 9251 Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am currently not receiving any of the channels designated for Syfy.
post #9247 of 9251 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
My most recent letter from TWC a few weeks back advised that 10/1 is the date for me. That's probably next Tuesday overnight.
Well, I suppose late tonight's the night. I will be paying close attention to whether or not I can still get to the old channel numbers via WMC, and when/if that changes.

As I've said before, I'm really much more anxiously looking forward to the MAXX upgrade in my area. If the channel lineup occurs tonight, should the MAXX upgrade be close at hand as well or is there no direct connection?
phildaant likes this.
post #9248 of 9251 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Well, I suppose late tonight's the night. I will be paying close attention to whether or not I can still get to the old channel numbers via WMC, and when/if that changes.

As I've said before, I'm really much more anxiously looking forward to the MAXX upgrade in my area. If the channel lineup occurs tonight, should the MAXX upgrade be close at hand as well or is there no direct connection?
My and neighbor cities got the Internet speed upgrades after midnight PDT today. Now, I need to swap for a new cable modem to get the full speeds.
post #9249 of 9251 Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

In South Pasadena we received the speed upgrade about a month ago. We are still waiting for the channel lineup change.
phildaant likes this.
post #9250 of 9251 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
In South Pasadena we received the speed upgrade about a month ago. We are still waiting for the channel lineup change.
For my area, I got the channel lineup on 9/25/2014 after its midnight PDT or so (didn't pay attention exactly when) and got the Internet speed upgrade this morning after 1:49 AM PDT.
post #9251 of 9251 Old Today, 04:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
Please let us know when you get the channel line-up change....I'm guessing you'll have to re-run tv set--up and pick the new guide (TWC Digital Rebuild). But then there is an issue with your series recording and if MC will remap by title or if you have to remove and reset each recording. The options are channel number only (if it know where it is) or any channel or HD only or SD only ... so it will be interesting. We're not scheduled until Oct 9/16 right now in the West Valley.

I notice setting up a new computer that there is a guide listing for TWC Digital Rebuild that has a different ID number than the current TWC Digital. Also many of us are suffering guide update errors from MSFT with the server not found or disconnecting....
Ok. Happened tonight just after midnight.

I first took screenshots of my series recordings, so that I could re-do them after re-running TV setup.

I then re-ran TV setup, and my first issue was dealing with selecting the correct channel lineup for my area. I used to be considered "Hollywood/Westchester" but they don't have such a designation in the list now. So of the various choices which appeared possible, I picked "Hollywood digital, upgrade". Since we all are getting the same channel guide presumably, I didn't think it would make a difference. And it looks like it turned out ok.

I then spent some time editing channels, and creating a "favorites" list. I also spent some time experimenting with proving that where they used to have HD vs. non-HD on two channel numbers and there's now only one (or rather, there are often two... one in the 1-99 group and a duplicate in the 100 and higher groups), that it actually was HD. I decided to avoid the 1-99 group channels except for the OTA local networks, and go with the 100+ version for the cable channels.

That's when I discovered a real problem: some of the channels which previously were provided in East Coast HD version only are now also being offered in Pacific versions as well, but they are not in HD. In fact, the original East Coast HD version is up in the 1300+ range. I personally think this is a mistake (i.e. having SD for the new Pacific feeds), but that's how they are right now. For example, E! Pacific is 51/168 and is SD, whereas E! East is 1351 and is HD. Same for IFCP 627 SD vs. IFC East 1354 HD, and SundanceP 625 SD vs. Sundance East 1356 HD. Also WeTVP 172 SD vs. WeTV East 1357 HD.

Also, the printed brochure channel lineup shows 1353 as History East HD but it's actually Nick Jr. East HD, with HistoryP 72/107 being HD.

Anyway, after figuring out the inconsistencies and that I should just use the 1300+ series for the East Coast HD versions of those problem channels (as was the case before when these were the only channels offered), I got everything settled down. I then re-ran MyChannelLogos to refresh the large logos that show on the WMC Guide, and updated a handful of new channels (e.g. FXX) which had newly available logos. I also decided to re-sort my Guide presentation into "name" sequence rather than "number", since except for the local OTA channels I honestly don't want to re-learn the new "national channel numbers". I'll just deal with "name" which is intuitive, and probably what TWC wants us to do.

I then deleted all of my previous series recordings for cable channel programs and recreated them with the new channel numbers. It's ambiguous to me what "HD Preferred" or "HD Only" means or how it might work in the new world, so I just picked the known HD channels to avoid any possibility of error. All my OTA series are coming from my Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuners and OTA/ATSC channels, so this was unchanged. It was only my cable series recording that required recreation.

Took about 3 hours to get this all sorted out, but I believe I'm back in business.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page