post #901 of 9475 Old 08-22-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchron View Post

I noticed this doesn't come in anymore... is there a reason why Adelphia is charging an additional $1.50/mo. Since when did ESPN become a "pay station"??

Synchron

Because they can.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9475 Old 08-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greinstein View Post

Now, after about 1 year with the Moxi box, you couldn't take it away from me.

Yes there are problems--all minor--with the Moxi, but the advantages FAR outweigh the negatives. The recording and playback with skipping over commercials by itself is worth the extra few bucks a month for the Moxi.

I try to look at the Moxi as I do my computer. Both have things I would change. Both hiccup at times. Would I give up on computers because they are not perfect? Same reasoning with the Moxi. (Note to Moxiguy--Don't treat this a permission to stop improving the product!!)

Gary: I thank you for the note of support and guarantee that we're continuing to work on improvements. I was in the Adelphia booth at the Anaheim convention center Friday for a press preview in advance of the Home & Garden show. Adelphia was showing Moxi 3.2 software. I take it as a sign that they are feeling more comfortable with it. Not so comfortable that they're announcing a date... but they were showing it throughout the weekend.
post #903 of 9475 Old 08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

We had "Fine Living" added on 131. Anyone else?

post #904 of 9475 Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

We had "Fine Living" added on 131. Anyone else?

Is that a network on living with Adelphia cable?

Jim
post #905 of 9475 Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Is that a network on living with Adelphia cable?

Jim

No, that'd be more like "F*ed Up Living", wouldn't it?
post #906 of 9475 Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

No, that'd be more like "F*ed Up Living", wouldn't it?

Exactly!

post #907 of 9475 Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the response Greinstein.

I have more questions. Tried to do some searches but now I just have more of a headache.

I currently have Adelphia Basica Cable. I just realized my Panasonic 42in HD plasma has an QAM tuner and accordingly I'm able to pick up some HD channels. Only channel 4 comes in really good though. Channel 7 kind of goes in and out and pixels show up. Here are my questions:

1. If I get the Moxi unit...will this improve the reception? This HD signal I'm getting is from the Adelphia...right?

2. Does my Panasonic (50xu?) have an HD tuner/receiver built in? Is the signal coming through in this way? I just need an antenna to get a stronger signal?

3. Out of curiosity, if you have an OTA HD receiver...how do you switch between that and the Adelphia connection into your TV? Doesn't our HDTV's only have one coaxial input? Are you using the HDMI input?

I was wondering if I could get some advice from people as to how I should set things up in my home.

Background:

Every room is cable ready (coax connection). I have splitters galore in a box at the side of my house feeding the signal into every room.

Family Room
The cable signal is good. The good news is that I mainly watch TV in the family room for reguarl SD programming. The bad news is that I only have my 32 in Sony Tube TV in there. It wasn't feasible to set up my 5.1 home theatre system in the family room.

Living Room
The cable signal is not that great. Some channels come in fine and other regular SD channels look horrible. This is where I have the 42in Plasma set up. I didn't really plan on watching SD with this TV anyhow. Mainly will watch stuff in HD local and DVD's. Still I would like to improve the SD signal. Should I get a booster? Is this where I should get the Moxi?

Master Bedroom.
Cable signal is quite bad. Some channels barely come in while it is perfectly fine down stairs in the family room. I watch a lot of TV here. I have a 23in LCD Sony that I plan on putting here. How can I improve this signal too. I also want to watch HD programming here if possible. Oh...I have this line split too for the VCR and TV...oh and actually the Sony computer I have too. Not even sure if my Sony LCD can get local HD OTA. Sony KLV-S23A10 . I don't think I can. I would need a separate HD receiver?

Any advice is much appreciated
post #908 of 9475 Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM

Just switched back to cable yesterday from DTV after about 3 years. The most important reason I switched back is the need for an OTA antenna to receive the local ch. in HD. Secondly, the HD offer on DTV [need to purchase an HD box], is not for me. Than, with the current promotion Adelphia is running, I can get more premium channels plus HD, at a lower price than with DTV. Sure, this lasts only 4 months and then it would be comparable with DTV prices for the same package. So I decided to give it a try. Until then hopefully DTV will improve their offering in HD.
First impression: the image quality seems to be on par with DTV. The HD ch. look great, similar or better than I can get from a good DVD. The only complain here is that the major networks broadcast some HD programs in 4:3, with CBS putting light gray bars on sides! On HBO, there's a clear quality difference between the regular digital ch. and HD. Same goes for SHO. KCET and Discovery are spectacular!
Switching between ch. though is rough, with severe flickering especially when moving between HD and other ch. Also is slow compared to DTV.
Equipment wise, there's a Moto HD box and a Moto Digital box. The HD box has composite cable, which is very hard duty, all 5 wires stuck together into a 2" wide band, hard to hide behind the tv or in the equipment stand. The digital box is standard connected to the tv with regular coaxial.
The remotes are too small, at least for my hands, and cramped with buttons. The button layout is far from being user friendly, with most accessed buttons placed in odd positions or too small. Two of the most used buttons, "last" and "fav" are so small and cramped by other buttons that are almost impossible to use w/o touching everything around them! There are buttons that are not in use [A, B, C] with regular boxes/cable, the functionality of the buttons is not intuitive, etc. The worst feature is the necesity to push 0 in before entering one digit ch. like 2, 4, etc. Further, since most of the ch. are located with 3 digits, you need to push them w/o visual feedback on screen since the display shows only 2 digits! For 223 for ex. you'll see on screen only 22, 3 not being shown!
Last but not least, the menu! The on screen menu is ages behind DTV. First, the appearance of text and graphics is so pixelized that some are hard to read. The highlighting of items on the menu is almost non discernable. The navigation through the menu is sub par. The layout is even worse! While on DTV you can see a period of 1.5h. and at least 5 ch. at the same time, here the time blocks are limited to 1/2 h. with no visual markers for hours on different channels. Apparently Adelphia chose to waste about 1/3 of the width of the menu display for some stupid advertising [like we dont' get enough through regular ch.] instead of extending the menu display. Every time you access the "guide" it starts with ch. 1 instead of the ch. where you are in! The favorites setup is only possible for 1 set of ch. not like 4 on the DTV. And as mentioned above, the navigation through favorites is almost impossible due to the small and crammped button. Secondly, there's no provision to exclude from the guide the ch. that are not in your favorite setup! Due to this fact, there's no way to navigate through the guide w/o seeing all channels all the time.
The ch. lineup is not user friendly either. Related ch. are spread appart, ESPN is fragmented in two blocks, etc. The current ch. info that shows when changing ch. is an opaque piece of graphic that takes about 1/3 of the height of the screen, blocking the view for at least 3sec. if you don't push another button, which is again too small. On DTV you can adjust the oppacity of the menu such as to see something through these info bars. And it's also thinner. Overall, the guide/menu features on these boxes/remotes are extremely anoying and make me almost regret that I've switched! Hopefully by the end of this promo period DTV will have some decent offerings so I can go back! Or maybe move to Dish.
post #909 of 9475 Old 09-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a new Adelphia subscriber. Just purchased a 50" Hi Def TV and thought that it deserved something other than just SD. I opted for the HiDef DVR, AKA Moxi. So far I am happy with it but wondering if anybody out there is experiencing the following:

Ocassionally there will be no audio coming in on any SD channels. All channels above 100 will have audio but channels 2-99 will be silent. Don't know if it's a problem with Adelphia or a setting on the Moxi box. I'm thinking it's Adelphia since the problem is occasional.

I could call Adelphia, but I thought I'd try here first since one usually gets more experienced, knowledgable, and intelligent answers than when calling CSRs.

Thanks in advance!
post #910 of 9475 Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhug View Post

Hi everyone,

I am a new Adelphia subscriber. Just purchased a 50" Hi Def TV and thought that it deserved something other than just SD. I opted for the HiDef DVR, AKA Moxi. So far I am happy with it but wondering if anybody out there is experiencing the following:

Ocassionally there will be no audio coming in on any SD channels. All channels above 100 will have audio but channels 2-99 will be silent. Don't know if it's a problem with Adelphia or a setting on the Moxi box. I'm thinking it's Adelphia since the problem is occasional.

I could call Adelphia, but I thought I'd try here first since one usually gets more experienced, knowledgable, and intelligent answers than when calling CSRs.

Thanks in advance!

There's a thread dedicated to the Moxi. You can find it here. It's over 130 pages long, but contains lots of valuable info. Specifically, look for posts by splinke -- he has an FAQ that is wonderful.

To answer you question, the only time I've had problems with sound like this, if I switch up a channel and back down, it solves the problem. If that doesn't solve it for you, try posting on the other thread.

-Dan
post #911 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Does anybody know if and when will the new iGuide be available in the Calabassas/Thousand Oaks area?
post #912 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 06:34 PM

My ESPN-HD is out...anyone else?

pj1016
post #913 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Out here also.

Jim
post #914 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

ESPN-HD, working in West LA.
7:10PM

post #915 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks, guys; it finally came back on...after the Angel game was over...of course.

pj1016
post #916 of 9475 Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1016 View Post

Thanks, guys; it finally came back on...after the Angel game was over...of course.

pj1016

Was it an intentional blackout?

post #917 of 9475 Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM

No, shouldn't have been as the game was in Boston.

Plus, it was on the "regular" definition ESPN channel.

It was just "the man" holding us down.

pj1016
post #918 of 9475 Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Has anyone used a HD OTA STB or HTPC HD card and able to receive Adelphia HD?
post #919 of 9475 Old 09-08-2005, 08:10 PM

MOXI SOFTWARE VERSION 3.2 IS HERE. MANHATTAN BEACH. Just in time for Opening Day of the NFL. Settings now allows Native Pass Thru and the ticker bar at the bottom is much more stylish! Thank you ADELPHIA!!!
post #920 of 9475 Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the moto (non Moxie) HD cable box also updated with a new iGuide

watch the demo here http://www.i-guide.tv/

My 1st impression is I like it. Quick & easy to navigate.
post #921 of 9475 Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 AM

Does anybody have the new i-Guide installed yet in LA area/Ventura Co.?

Called the local Adelphia service center, the cust. service rep didn't even heard about this i-Guide!
post #922 of 9475 Old 09-09-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

the moto (non Moxie) HD cable box also updated with a new iGuide

watch the demo here http://www.i-guide.tv/

My 1st impression is I like it. Quick & easy to navigate.

Is it possible now to skip the ch. not on the favorite list?
post #923 of 9475 Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Here in Diamond Bar, Ch. 938 appeared, "no program title". Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
post #924 of 9475 Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndudes View Post

Here in Diamond Bar, Ch. 938 appeared, "no program title". Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Not on in West LA. What's the programming like??

post #925 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 AM

Probably the same as yours. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS (KCET)HD'S, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, MAX-HD, SHO-HD. Quite a lineup, eh ?
I forgot to add, all HD channels are 900 and up.

Dave
post #926 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 12:34 AM

I see 938 too. I didn't see this last night. I hope it is either TNT or HDNet.
post #927 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndudes View Post

Probably the same as yours. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS (KCET)HD'S, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, MAX-HD, SHO-HD. Quite a lineup, eh ?
I forgot to add, all HD channels are 900 and up.

Dave

I meant is anything running on 938 or it's just in the list with nothing on? I assume it's blank, cause you'd see a logo. Do'h.

post #928 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I meant is anything running on 938 or it's just in the list with nothing on? I assume it's blank, cause you'd see a logo. Do'h.

Just blank, in the list of course, and no logo. ESPN2 HD?? TNT-HD?? At this point, anything HD is an improvment. Last HD channel added was Dec. last year.

Dave
post #929 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

938 = NFLHD
post #930 of 9475 Old 09-10-2005, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

938 = NFLHD

This is good! It's not a pay channel like ESPN_HD, right??

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception