post #9331 of 9347 Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
At the Eagle Rock TWC office they have a reverse ATM machine---it accepts cash payments, so those paying cash do not have to see a teller, just use the payment machine.
Nice. I have not seen those around here yet with cable companies. What about the rest of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 9347 Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post
As I already mentioned a few pages ago, WGN only showed up in my area using a TV's QAM tuner here. I am too lazy to find out if that is still the case or not. WGN has never been an official fulltime channel here either on analog or with a box. The only time when we officially got WGN was years ago when they used to share to channel with other Superstations. WGN was primarily only broadcast when there was a Cubs game.

I just did a rescan today to see if WGN still shows up via QAM even though the channel is not on our list. Sure enough, it is still there: in 1080i.
sted likes this.
post #9333 of 9347 Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I just did a rescan today to see if WGN still shows up via QAM even though the channel is not on our list. Sure enough, it is still there: in 1080i.
Can I ask what area you are in? How are you going about receiving it? With what equipment? Under what number is it showing up?
post #9334 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Nice. I have not seen those around here yet with cable companies. What about the rest of you?
I believe the one in Van Nuys has that, but I've never used it. I just make payments online.
phildaant likes this.
post #9335 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
Can I ask what area you are in? How are you going about receiving it? With what equipment? Under what number is it showing up?

Eagle Rock with just the TV's internal qam tuner. My tv has it at 134.2. It was the only cable regular channel I could get without a box. Rest of the channels that still worked were local, public/community/governmental, and shopping. Even though I can still get WGN via qam, I suspect this will not necessarily apply to all the other TWC systems here in SoCal.
sted likes this.
post #9336 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Since there were discussions on WGN, I do have it in my city (90631): 96 & 126 for WGN America (HD) from the recent channel line up change and with a TWC DVR (Navigator). I find it strange/odd that Guide's Find Channels' Network A-Z doesn't show WGN, but I do see them in Guide and when viewing their channels (Manhattan right now).
sted likes this.
post #9337 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Eagle Rock with just the TV's internal qam tuner. My tv has it at 134.2. It was the only cable regular channel I could get without a box. Rest of the channels that still worked were local, public/community/governmental, and shopping. Even though I can still get WGN via qam, I suspect this will not necessarily apply to all the other TWC systems here in SoCal.
So just to clarify, this does not show up on channel 126 or anywhere else in your lineup, correct? In other words, Time Warner's position is that WGN is not available in Eagle Rock, yet it actually is?

If that is the case, it makes one wonder if Time Warner has somehow lost track of WGN and where it is available/not available on its Southern California systems.
post #9338 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
If that is the case, it makes one wonder if Time Warner has somehow lost track of WGN and where it is available/not available on its Southern California systems.
no they don't lose track but many areas are fed from a centralized headend that feed multiple lineups. Other evidence of a headend that feeds multiple areas is that one may see public access channels from the next town or several towns away.
sted likes this.

Last edited by nyctveng; 10-26-2014 at 05:51 PM.
post #9339 of 9347 Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
So just to clarify, this does not show up on channel 126 or anywhere else in your lineup, correct?

96 is blank. 126 is blank. Likewise, WGN is not listed anywhere on the TWC Channel Listings website for this area. So, it is not a service level issue where I would get it by paying more each month.

Quote:
In other words, Time Warner's position is that WGN is not available in Eagle Rock, yet it actually is?

I never asked. It would be a waste of time talking to them about a channel that is not listed or available with a box. Besides, customer support would likely just say something like that is not supported, they cannot explain it, or that I must be mistaken somehow.
sted likes this.
post #9340 of 9347 Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Question Has anyone tried the new six/6 tuner DVRs yet from TWC?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...anced-dvr.html

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2014...store-more-tv/

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...ced-DVR-130972

If so, then how is it? Is it buggy? Thank you in advance.
sted likes this.

Last edited by phildaant; 10-27-2014 at 07:00 AM.
post #9341 of 9347 Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Even if it's nice, it's $16 extra a month?
sted likes this.
post #9342 of 9347 Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Even if it's nice, it's $16 extra a month?
I had the Time Warner whole house dvr until a few months ago. I was paying $10 to have a dvr and $20 to have the service each month. The playback box was becoming disconnected from the dvr box every day and had to be reset every morning. The dvr often had to be reset as well. So I decided to go with Tivo, which is working perfectly and doesn't require daily resets.

From my experience, I am disinclined to go with a Time Warner dvr box again. It is too expensive and doesn't work that well. Tivo is much better, although there is a slight disadvantage in that on demand is not available on the Tivo, but it is still available on the website.

On another topic, I called WGN to inquire as to why WGN is only available on some of the Time Warner systems in Los Angeles. I actually got through to someone who was quite knowledgeable, and he was surprised to find that the signal was not available on all systems. He actually did some checking while I was on the phone and said that WGN is "on the backbone" for Time Warner in southern California. He said that means that the signal is received by Time Warner at only one location, then they distribute it within their system. He also took my phone number and said that he will contact the "California representative" to determine why it isn't carried everywhere. So we will see what happens.
phildaant likes this.
post #9343 of 9347 Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
no they don't lose track but many areas are fed from a centralized headend that feed multiple lineups. Other evidence of a headend that feeds multiple areas is that one may see public access channels from the next town or several towns away.
Same here in 90272. We get clear QAM of Santa Monica, Calabasas as well as Los Angeles PEGs on our digital feed, along with WGN America. Not tuneable by a converter except for the LA PEG where we live. But all available on the clear QAM feed. Been like that for years. Even after the big channel realign.

TWC isn't paying Tribune for WGN in those systems where it isn't officially carried. And viewership is most likely minimal in systems where you cannot tune it in with a set top. I'm sure WGN doesn't mind.

It looks like WGNA will be added to the rest of the TWC channels next year as part of the carriage agreements for Tribune stations (including KTLA here) nationwide.
sted likes this.
post #9344 of 9347 Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Just got back to LA from a 2-week family event, having noticed four days ago that I could no longer connect remotely to my PC. I imagined it might have finally been the MAXX upgrade, and they'd restarted my Netgear CMD31T modem. It's a bit fussy and never has been able to restart properly on their command. I always need to pull the power cord myself and recycle it manually that way.

Anyway, sure enough the modem was in its typical unusable state when I got home, and when I recycled it sure enough I was now performing at 50/5... which I believe is the maximum TWC's provisioned this modem for under MAXX even though I have been paying for Extreme (which was 30/5 in the old world).

So, I finally broke open the carton for the SB6141 I'd bought many months ago earlier in the year when I foolishly thought MAXX was truly imminent. Swapped the SB6141 for the CMD31T, phoned support to get the new MAC address activated, downgraded my service from Extreme back to Turbo (which is now 100/10 with the SB6141, which is plenty good for my needs given that I'd been seeing only 30/5 for years... and also saves me $10/month).

I also confirmed that it was on 10/24 that my 90292 area was upgraded to MAXX, which agrees with my experience while away.

Excellent.
post #9345 of 9347 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
Same here in 90272. We get clear QAM of Santa Monica, Calabasas as well as Los Angeles PEGs on our digital feed, along with WGN America. Not tuneable by a converter except for the LA PEG where we live. But all available on the clear QAM feed. Been like that for years. Even after the big channel realign.

TWC isn't paying Tribune for WGN in those systems where it isn't officially carried. And viewership is most likely minimal in systems where you cannot tune it in with a set top. I'm sure WGN doesn't mind.

It looks like WGNA will be added to the rest of the TWC channels next year as part of the carriage agreements for Tribune stations (including KTLA here) nationwide.
Do we know what the carriage agreement is? I located a press release saying that Tribune and Time Warner had reached a multi-year agreement for carriage of KTLA, WGN, Antenna TV, and This TV in December of 2013. It seems that the agreement only required partial carriage. WGN and This TV are not carried on Time Warner (at least not in all areas).

On another topic, in South Pasadena/San Marino the analog stations are still here. They are all broadcasting a slate on how to get a DTA, but they are still there, just the same, taking up space. And there are a good number of digital stations that are still in the clear.
phildaant likes this.
post #9346 of 9347 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I see what you are saying. It appears that MAVTV is on 402 on the San Diego-area systems. WGN is on 126 on the San Diego-area systems.

My Tivo also falsely lists WGN as being part of my channel lineup. Where does Tivo get its data for the channel lineup? from Time-Warner?

It appears that San Diego does have a slightly better lineup than Los Angeles.
I'm in San Diego, long-time TWC customer. I get WGN on channel 3, which gets mapped to the HD channel. San Diego channels 2-99 get mapped to their HD counterparts automatically on my system.

EDIT: Here's the link to my channel lineup in San Diego. http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...SingleCLU=True

Last edited by humdinger70; Today at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add channel lineup link
post #9347 of 9347 Old Today, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

On another topic, in South Pasadena/San Marino the analog stations are still here. They are all broadcasting a slate on how to get a DTA, but they are still there, just the same, taking up space. And there are a good number of digital stations that are still in the clear.
The analogs will go away completely in about a month. Then will come MAXX and the channel realignment. If they follow the same path as TWC did at my house.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page