210Likes

post #9391 of 9412 Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
First order of business will be to reduce the loss of video subscribers to cord cutters...Its either that or charge more to the customers that stay, thereby causing even more disconnects. And so it goes.
Yes, it's not a good business model to do that. Last ten subscribers will be paying $47,600 a month each for basic cable.

Quote:
Uncompressed HD? From Blu-ray?
From live high end cameras over fiber. Uncompressed RGB 4:4:4 at 3 G/s is quite good looking stuff .

Quote:
Crank up that RCA TK-41, those three image orthicon tubes really put out a quality signal?
First camera I ever worked on was the TK-44 (1971). At least it only had a single enormous cable going to it instead of the two on the TK-41, although I did eventually see a TK-41 when ABC had to drag one out of mothballs to be able to use a particular lens on Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon jump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9412 Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post

From live high end cameras over fiber. Uncompressed RGB 4:4:4 at 3 G/s is quite good looking stuff .
But not at home I assume.

I know from my past life at NBC Burbank and Metromedia in Hollywood that working in a studio spoils you for what you can see at home. Digital and HD has been a big improvement over the analog cable of the past.

At least there is Blu-ray which right now, besides hard drives filled with 4K content, provides the best picture.

The increased bandwidth with the drop of the analogs is the best sign that things could get better in the future. Unfortunately, people aren't clamoring for extreme HD pictures from that added spectrum, they would rather want more channels.
phildaant likes this.
post #9393 of 9412 Old 11-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Well, not exactly.

Although I did have ALL of those serivces, and somewhere in the basement I still have one of those brown Jerrold boxes. And the Z Channel was remarkably entertaining.

There have obviously been major developments since then, and no one was happier to see analog go away than I was. But I will point out that the quality of the HD images TW sends out has gotten progressively worse in the 8 or 9 years I've been a subscriber, as they torque down the data rate to put more channels on the wire that fewer and fewer people watch. I happen to live in an RF bowl in the hills near the Hollywood Sign, and I get NO off-air signals of any sort, no matter what I do. A couple of years ago, I hired a guy with a spectrum analyzer and a crank up tower to see if there was any possibility of getting off-air channels at my house, and there wasn't. So I'm stuck with cable or satellite for network TV. I've seen FiOS, and it's soooo much better in terms of image quality than TW that it's shocking. Were it available here, I would switch over in a heartbeat.

For reference, I'm a video engineer working in the entertainment field for the last 42 years, started when we still had to shovel coal into the cameras in the morning to get them fired up, and now watch uncompressed HD all day long on very expensive OLED monitors, so my standards may be somewhat different than others who post here.

Regardless, I expect that should the Comcast merger go through, the first order of business will be to raise rates, not improve the service.

What are some of the shows you worked on? Maybe some from my childhood? I am 49.
phildaant likes this.
post #9394 of 9412 Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
What are some of the shows you worked on? Maybe some from my childhood? I am 49.
NBC - Tonight, Midnight Special, too many game shows to mention, John Davidson Show, David Copperfield Specials, Real People...

Metromedia - One Day At A Time, Different Strokes, Soul Train, Jeffersons, Two Close for Comfort, Facts of Life, Hello Larry, Maude...

We had Phillips LDK3 and RCA TK 44 cameras at Metromedia (at the now gone KTTV lot on Sunset). And the TK 44s at NBC Burbank, just before they were retired in 1976 for the TK 47, RCA's last studio camera.

No, not anywhere near HD, but they put out a beautiful picture in the studio. Too bad about those ghosts and snowy pics you saw at home. We had complaints about analog PQ when I worked at a LA cable system in the 80s. Digital was a few years off then. And remember, "all digital" didn't come until just the last decade or so on cable to fight off satellite TV's "digital quality" claims. It took until this year to finally kill off analog on cable.
phildaant, nyctveng and sted like this.
post #9395 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Or a free (for a while at least) DTA.
I recently got two of these things for a bedroom TV and garage TV, and it's pretty crappy. It won't reliably tune some of my local channels, and most of the analog channels (14-99) won't tune either, and also randomly suffers digital signal breakup on the channels that it does tune. Both DTAs act exactly the same in every room i've tested them in. And the little basic remote is difficult to use by feel as all the buttons are pretty much the same, but i have to use it to change channels while also keeping the TV's remote handy for setting the sleep timer and changing picture modes and inputs etc so now i have two remotes.

It was a lot better when i got QAM straight from the wall - all my 2-99 channels tuned perfectly and i was able to use my TVs fancy remote for everything. In the bedroom i ended up connecting that TV to my roof antenna for the locals and only use the DTA to tune HGTV, Food, and CNN - but they don't always tune. At least this thing is free for now, but they will be going back to TWC eventually.
phildaant likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9396 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I recently got two of these things for a bedroom TV and garage TV, and it's pretty crappy. It won't reliably tune some of my local channels, and most of the analog channels (14-99) won't tune either, and also randomly suffers digital signal breakup on the channels that it does tune. Both DTAs act exactly the same in every room i've tested them in. And the little basic remote is difficult to use by feel as all the buttons are pretty much the same, but i have to use it to change channels while also keeping the TV's remote handy for setting the sleep timer and changing picture modes and inputs etc so now i have two remotes.

It was a lot better when i got QAM straight from the wall - all my 2-99 channels tuned perfectly and i was able to use my TVs fancy remote for everything. In the bedroom i ended up connecting that TV to my roof antenna for the locals and only use the DTA to tune HGTV, Food, and CNN - but they don't always tune. At least this thing is free for now, but they will be going back to TWC eventually.
Yep, they're cheap hardwares that is no surprise. My king ant uses a Technicolor DCI401TWC2 DTA with his tiny portable DTV.
post #9397 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

pretty crappy well yeah what do you expect from a box that cost TWC $40-50 a piece and offered to you for free. The breakup issues you're experiencing sounds like problems with the signal coming into your home rather than an issue with the box itself. Many of these DTA are being installed on TVs that were self installed by the customer or wiring that never had a set top box so therefore the signal may not be up to snuff. As far as remotes, if you're using the Cisco DTA then the regular full feature TWC universal remote works as well that can be bought on ebay for $10.
phildaant likes this.
post #9398 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Liked: 32
WGN and Baby First.

On or around January 1, 2015, WGN America may move from Starter TV to Standard TV on the following channel lineups: Agoura-Moorpark-Santa Paula, channels 8/126 ; Air Force Village West - Lakeview - Perris, channels 8/126 ; Anaheim, channels 96/126 ; Antelope Valley & Edwards Air Force Base, channels 32/126 ; Artesia, channels 25/126 ; Beaumont-Redlands-East San Bernardino, channels 8/126 ; Bell & Cudahy, channels 25/126 ; Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, channels 16/126 ; Bradbury, Glendora, La Verna, San Dimas, channels 96/126 ; Brea, La Habra, La Habra Heights, Yorba Linda, channels 96/126 ; Buena Park, Fullerton, Newport Beach, Santa Ana, channels 96/126 ; Calabasas, channels 32/126 ; Camarillo, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, channels 8/126 ; Canyon Country, Santa Clarita, Stevenson Ranch, channels 35/126 ; Carson, channels 25/126 ; Chino - Pomona - San Bernardino County, channels 8/126 ; Claremont, channels 25/126 ; Compton, Athens, Florence & Willowbrook, channels 25/126 ; Costa Mesa, channels 25/126 ; Covina, Pomona, Corona & Riverside County, channels 25/126 ; Cypress & La Palma, channels 25/126 ; Harbor, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro, Wilmington, channels 25/126 ; Hawaiian Gardens - Southeast Cities, channels 25/126 ; Hemet - Temecula, channels 8/126 ; Hollywood - Westchester, channels 25/126 ; Homeland & Romoland, channels 25/126 ; Inglewood, channels 25/126 ; Lakewood, channels 25/126 ; March Air Force Base & Moreno Valley, channels 8/126 ; Orange County, channels 8/126 ; Oxnard & Port Hueneme, channels 8/126 ; Rialto, channels 8/126 ; San Bernardino - Ontario, channels 8/126 ; San Gabriel Valley, channels 96/126 ; Santa Clarita (East), channels 25/126 ; Simi Valley, channels 8/126 ; South Bay, channels 28/126 ; South El Monte, channels 25/126 ; South Los Angeles, channels 25/126 ; Tujunga, channels 25/126 ; Tustin, channels 25/126 ; Ventura, channels 8/126

In addition, WGN America may be made available on the following channel lineups on channel 126 and a below 100 channel number to be determined to customers with subscription to Standard TV: Beverly Hills, City of Los Angeles, East San Fernando Valley, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach & Redondo Beach, Marina Del Rey, San Fernando, San Marino & South Pasadena, Santa Monica, Torrance, West Hollywood, and West Valley.

On or around January 8, 2015, Baby First, channel 256, may be made available to customers with subscription to Variety Pass.
phildaant likes this.
post #9399 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post
On or around January 1, 2015, WGN America may move from Starter TV to Standard TV ...

In addition, WGN America may be made available on the following channel lineups ...

On or around January 8, 2015, Baby First, channel 256, may be made available to customers with subscription to Variety Pass.
Good news.

Looks like the deal with Tribune was to take a small hit on sub counts with a tier move in the legacy systems, (what percentage of subs are Starter TV only?) but they get a big boost with carriage in the rest of Los Angeles plus the additional carriage of Baby First to a tier.
post #9400 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
In the '70's, '80's and '90's, literally thousands of national commercials and scores of music videos - Maddona, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Paula Abdul, Metallica - as a blue and green screen visual effects guy,

In the 2000's I developed the 'virtual booth' for ESPN for what was then Sunday Night Football, and spent several years on the road with them doing that and Thursday Night college ball. In the 2010's I moved into what I affectionately call "Sitcom Hell" and have been doing shows for Nickelodeon and ABC Family as video control and systems engineer since then.
post #9401 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Good news.

Looks like the deal with Tribune was to take a small hit on sub counts with a tier move in the legacy systems, (what percentage of subs are Starter TV only?) but they get a big boost with carriage in the rest of Los Angeles plus the additional carriage of Baby First to a tier.
Yes good news. Like I mentioned in previous posts that the change of WGN America as superstation status to WGN Cable Network as a basic cable channel will yield more broad coverage. This is exactly the same that happened when TBS changed from a superstation to cable network. Cubs games and local Chicago news will be gone similar to TBS dropping Braves games.
post #9402 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post
WGN and Baby First.

On or around January 1, 2015, WGN America may move from Starter TV to Standard TV on the following channel lineups: Agoura-Moorpark-Santa Paula, channels 8/126 ; Air Force Village West - Lakeview - Perris, channels 8/126 ; Anaheim, channels 96/126 ; Antelope Valley & Edwards Air Force Base, channels 32/126 ; Artesia, channels 25/126 ; Beaumont-Redlands-East San Bernardino, channels 8/126 ; Bell & Cudahy, channels 25/126 ; Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, channels 16/126 ; Bradbury, Glendora, La Verna, San Dimas, channels 96/126 ; Brea, La Habra, La Habra Heights, Yorba Linda, channels 96/126 ; Buena Park, Fullerton, Newport Beach, Santa Ana, channels 96/126 ; Calabasas, channels 32/126 ; Camarillo, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, channels 8/126 ; Canyon Country, Santa Clarita, Stevenson Ranch, channels 35/126 ; Carson, channels 25/126 ; Chino - Pomona - San Bernardino County, channels 8/126 ; Claremont, channels 25/126 ; Compton, Athens, Florence & Willowbrook, channels 25/126 ; Costa Mesa, channels 25/126 ; Covina, Pomona, Corona & Riverside County, channels 25/126 ; Cypress & La Palma, channels 25/126 ; Harbor, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro, Wilmington, channels 25/126 ; Hawaiian Gardens - Southeast Cities, channels 25/126 ; Hemet - Temecula, channels 8/126 ; Hollywood - Westchester, channels 25/126 ; Homeland & Romoland, channels 25/126 ; Inglewood, channels 25/126 ; Lakewood, channels 25/126 ; March Air Force Base & Moreno Valley, channels 8/126 ; Orange County, channels 8/126 ; Oxnard & Port Hueneme, channels 8/126 ; Rialto, channels 8/126 ; San Bernardino - Ontario, channels 8/126 ; San Gabriel Valley, channels 96/126 ; Santa Clarita (East), channels 25/126 ; Simi Valley, channels 8/126 ; South Bay, channels 28/126 ; South El Monte, channels 25/126 ; South Los Angeles, channels 25/126 ; Tujunga, channels 25/126 ; Tustin, channels 25/126 ; Ventura, channels 8/126

In addition, WGN America may be made available on the following channel lineups on channel 126 and a below 100 channel number to be determined to customers with subscription to Standard TV: Beverly Hills, City of Los Angeles, East San Fernando Valley, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach & Redondo Beach, Marina Del Rey, San Fernando, San Marino & South Pasadena, Santa Monica, Torrance, West Hollywood, and West Valley.

Where does this information appear? I don't see it on the "programming legal notices" page, which was last updated on Nov. 5.
phildaant likes this.
post #9403 of 9412 Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Where does this information appear? I don't see it on the "programming legal notices" page, which was last updated on Nov. 5.
Yeah, I don't see it on http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...s-angeles.html too. Where?
sted likes this.
post #9404 of 9412 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

New modem arrived - what a PITA

So after assuring me the new modem I was getting would have two telephone ports, it arrives yesterday, and of course it has no telephone ports.

So I call them, and they say just keep your old modem for the telephone lines.

Five minutes after I get off the phone with them, they disable the Internet function on the old modem without notice, forcing me to install the new one immediately, which I reluctantly do because it was 9:30 at night, and I'd already worked a 12 hour day and was saving the project for the weekend.

I power it up, the new modem won't sync up with mom.

After some troubleshooting, I discover that the two way splitter they sent only has output on one spigot. So I dig through my stuff, find another one, and now the modem syncs up. Then I discover that unlike my old modem, the new one has the router and wireless built in, and my entire network, fed from a wireless router expecting to see a WAN connection coming in, is down as a result. So I had to bypass the router temporarily.

I have the modem in a far corner of the house, and its range is not even close to being good enough, so now I have to figure out what I'm gonna do. I suppose I can put the modem into bridge mode (maybe?), and use my router again.

Ain't technology grand?
phildaant likes this.
post #9405 of 9412 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
So after assuring me the new modem I was getting would have two telephone ports, it arrives yesterday, and of course it has no telephone ports.

So I call them, and they say just keep your old modem for the telephone lines.

Five minutes after I get off the phone with them, they disable the Internet function on the old modem without notice, forcing me to install the new one immediately, which I reluctantly do because it was 9:30 at night, and I'd already worked a 12 hour day and was saving the project for the weekend.

I power it up, the new modem won't sync up with mom.

After some troubleshooting, I discover that the two way splitter they sent only has output on one spigot. So I dig through my stuff, find another one, and now the modem syncs up. Then I discover that unlike my old modem, the new one has the router and wireless built in, and my entire network, fed from a wireless router expecting to see a WAN connection coming in, is down as a result. So I had to bypass the router temporarily.

I have the modem in a far corner of the house, and its range is not even close to being good enough, so now I have to figure out what I'm gonna do. I suppose I can put the modem into bridge mode (maybe?), and use my router again.

Ain't technology grand?
Wow, I can't believe they didn't send you a modem with the telephone service. I got mine (Arris TG6172G) correctly, but I was unhappy with its huge size and its wireless router that I didn't need. I also didn't want to use a splitter and add my own cable modem. It took me a while to bridge the modem to reuse my old router. Also, I ran into issues to activate my new modem online. Argh. So yeah, dang technologies. It was as good thing I didn't do it on a Friday night since I was so tired. I expected I would run into issues.

I wonder if TWC ran out of modems with their telephone ports. How did you ask for a replacement for the upgrade? I did it from its snail mail with the link to request a new modem through snail mail.

FYI, you should hang out in these two/2 forums since AVS is mainly about TV:
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc

Last edited by phildaant; Yesterday at 03:23 PM.
post #9406 of 9412 Old Today, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I think WackyPacks got it from here: http://classifieds.latimes.com/class...r-announcement
phildaant likes this.
post #9407 of 9412 Old Today, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastaclocksetta View Post
I think WackyPacks got it from here: http://classifieds.latimes.com/class...r-announcement
Why does TWC not have this update?

I e-mailed TWCable.Help@twcable.com and got this re(ply/sponse):

"... Thank you for bring this discrepancy to our attention. We will make sure that our Web Content group
is made aware of this.

Thanks,
Darren S
Social Media Representative - Time Warner Cable"

Last edited by phildaant; Today at 12:34 PM.
post #9408 of 9412 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I finally updated my modem last night. I'm getting the updated speeds, but only on the one computer that's connected via ethernet. I have the updated upload speed on the wifi computers, but the download speed remains the same as before. I'll have to figure out when I have a block of time available to call TWC.
post #9409 of 9412 Old Today, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Wow, I can't believe they didn't send you a modem with the telephone service. I got mine (Arris TG6172G) correctly, but I was unhappy with its huge size and its wireless router that I didn't need. I also didn't want to use a splitter and add my own cable modem. It took me a while to bridge the modem to reuse my old router. Also, I ran into issues to activate my new modem online. Argh. So yeah, dang technologies. It was as good thing I didn't do it on a Friday night since I was so tired. I expected I would run into issues.

I wonder if TWC ran out of modems with their telephone ports. How did you ask for a replacement for the upgrade? I did it from its snail mail with the link to request a new modem through snail mail.
The modem order was a previous adventure. I ordered online, waited a week, then called. Was informed my order "did not go through" but the CSR would be happy to enter it. I specifically said I needed the new one to support two phone lines, and she said it absolutely did. Two days later, I had an Arris DG1670A, which has no phone ports, and the router and wireless built in.

After playing with it for a few hours, I have grown to like it quite a bit more than I initially thought I would. Once I found a decent place to situate it (and spent half a day to neatly run cables to it), I have full house coverage for three floors with decent signal everywhere. And I was able to put my Roku 3 on the 5 gig network, so it could stream without interference from the rest of the wireless devices, and its PQ improved dramatically as a result. So all in all, not hateful after the initial nonsense.
phildaant likes this.
post #9410 of 9412 Old Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
The modem order was a previous adventure. I ordered online, waited a week, then called. Was informed my order "did not go through" but the CSR would be happy to enter it. I specifically said I needed the new one to support two phone lines, and she said it absolutely did. Two days later, I had an Arris DG1670A, which has no phone ports, and the router and wireless built in.

After playing with it for a few hours, I have grown to like it quite a bit more than I initially thought I would. Once I found a decent place to situate it (and spent half a day to neatly run cables to it), I have full house coverage for three floors with decent signal everywhere. And I was able to put my Roku 3 on the 5 gig network, so it could stream without interference from the rest of the wireless devices, and its PQ improved dramatically as a result. So all in all, not hateful after the initial nonsense.
So, what happened to your phone part?
post #9411 of 9412 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
So, what happened to your phone part?
They told me to keep the old modem and use that as before for my two phone lines, which is what I'm doing.

It's 50/50 that the next bill will include charges for two modems, of course.
phildaant likes this.
post #9412 of 9412 Old Today, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They told me to keep the old modem and use that as before for my two phone lines, which is what I'm doing.

It's 50/50 that the next bill will include charges for two modems, of course.
Have them send you a new leased modem with the phone lines. :/
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page