AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
I called AT&T company regarding changing my service to a different package to get a lower rate. The person I spoke to was obviously in another country and was reading from a script and kept saying "I will provide you with excellent service" and "I have exciting news." The exciting news was to transfer me to U-Verse, to which I said no. The request about changing my service to a different package went nowhere, but she said she will transfer me to technical support to explain how to use call forwarding, which is a question that I never asked. I never asked how to use any features. I wasn't adding call forwarding to my line. I finally just told her not to change anything on the line. She wouldn't listen to me and just kept reading from a script of questions and statements.

In many ways I would just like to get rid of them, but I will likely keep the landline service for now. I did speak to an AT&T technician recently, and he told me that the company would like to just get rid of the landline service. I think that explains the high prices that keep going up and the lousy customer service. I am old enough to recall the once proud company that provided excellent end to end service.

AT&T has truly lost sight of its once glorious past.

On another topic, I have an outside phone jack. Does anyone know how to properly waterproof it?
It's not just AT&T. Others too. See http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...per-customers/ ... All of them want to drop copper wires and to use wireless and fiber. Some of us want fiber, but can't get it. Hello Verizon? Resume your FIOS deployments then. I ain't getting your expensive capped wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is anyone else having issues with slow download speeds via wifi after installing the new modem?
post #9423 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
Is anyone else having issues with slow download speeds via wifi after installing the new modem?
Is it a leased modem? If so, then TWC's cable modem's wifi sucks. If not, what about network cable speed?
post #9424 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Question Why is my Motorola DCX3519 DVR scheduled to record a Simpsons rerun?

Hello.

Tonight, there will be a new episode at 8:00 PM PST on KTTV 11 (LA, CA, USA) but why at 11:00 PM PST which is a rerun? Guide doesn't show "new" for 11:00 PM PST. I am confused why my DVR's scheduler and series recording plans show that. It had been like this all week so far. A power cycle did not fix it. Is anyone else seeing this too or just me?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by phildaant; 11-23-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #9425 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Is it a leased modem? If so, then TWC's cable modem's wifi sucks. If not, what about network cable speed?
It's leased. The speeds via Ethernet are fine. The download speeds via Wi-Fi are actually slower than with my previous leased Arris modem. I also tried hooking up an Airport Extreme and tried to access Wi-Fi that way with the same result.
phildaant likes this.
post #9426 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
It's leased. The speeds via Ethernet are fine. The download speeds via Wi-Fi are actually slower than with my previous leased Arris modem. I also tried hooking up an Airport Extreme and tried to access Wi-Fi that way with the same result.
Interesting. So, if you have a wireless device right next to the wireless routers with almost 100% signal strengths, it's still slow? Weird. How about changing channels and stuff? Maybe interferences?
post #9427 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Not sure, since my wireless is much faster than it's ever been with the speed change. Using the Arris DG1670A modem. It was kinda worthless before when I had 15/1, and an old Netgear router.

On a wired connection, using SpeedOf.Me, I now get 58/6 consistently. And might I mention I'm loving it, especially the upload speed (I send big files to clients, and 1 up was killing me)

On the 2.4G wireless link, MacBookPro running Win7 and 802.11n, things vary. The middle of the test peaks around 55, but it ends up at around 28 down and 6 up. Full 5 bars signal to the laptop, it's sitting 15 feet from the modem. Only other thing on the 2.4G during the test is a TiVo, which chatters to 'mom' constantly, but I'm assuming with small payloads.

On the 5G wireless link, same laptop, same conditions, I get 55/6 consistently with 4 bars out of 5 on the wireless signal strength indicator. The only thing on the 5G is a Roku3, which also seems to chatter to 'mom' constantly, but is not currently streaming anything.

Both wireless setups have the same type of security, set to high power, same pretty much default settings.
post #9428 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. So, if you have a wireless device right next to the wireless routers with almost 100% signal strengths, it's still slow? Weird. How about changing channels and stuff? Maybe interferences?
Yup. I could be sitting right in front of the modem with a laptop and my speeds are somewhere around 20mbps. If I plug in the Ethernet it jumps to 295mbps. I haven't had a chance to mess with it. I have a tech coming on Friday.
phildaant likes this.
post #9429 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup. I could be sitting right in front of the modem with a laptop and my speeds are somewhere around 20mbps. If I plug in the Ethernet it jumps to 295mbps. I haven't had a chance to mess with it. I have a tech coming on Friday.
OK, please keep us posted then. BTW, where in L.A.? I am sure you can find IT people to help you.
post #9430 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Sounds like limitations of you laptop rather than an issue with the modem or its built in router. Is your laptop only b/g wireless?
phildaant likes this.
post #9431 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnili View Post
Now available in:<br><br>
Calabassas Park<br>
Diamond Bar/Rowland Heights<br>
Hermosa/Manhattan Beach<br>
Glendora<br>
Redondo Beach<br>
Santa Ana<br>
Simi Valley<br>
Villa Park<br>
Yorba Linda<br><br>
Can someone from these communities post their experience with Adelphia HD?
That would be great (Y)
post #9432 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Sounds like limitations of you laptop rather than an issue with the modem or its built in router. Is your laptop only b/g wireless?
Doesn't matter if I'm on my laptop or on the iMac. I got better download speeds with the old modem.
phildaant likes this.
post #9433 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Doesn't matter if I'm on my laptop or on the iMac. I got better download speeds with the old modem.
I see. It may be congestion on the channel its on. When I got my all in one modem from TWC, it was on default of channel 6 which is super congested. Many people on TWC forum on another website put it in bridge mode and use their own router for more flexibility but that may require a call into tier 3.
phildaant likes this.
post #9434 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
I see. It may be congestion on the channel its on. When I got my all in one modem from TWC, it was on default of channel 6 which is super congested. Many people on TWC forum on another website put it in bridge mode and use their own router for more flexibility but that may require a call into tier 3.
Well, he is letting a TWC tech deal with this. So, we'll see what happens.
post #9435 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hello.

Tonight, there will be a new episode at 8:00 PM PST on KTTV 11 (LA, CA, USA) but why at 11:00 PM PST which is a rerun? Guide doesn't show "new" for 11:00 PM PST. I am confused why my DVR's scheduler and series recording plans show that. It had been like this all week so far. A power cycle did not fix it. Is anyone else seeing this too or just me?

Thank you in advance.

Do you have something else scheduled to record at the time of the first broadcast? If so the device will allow that and record the second show at the later time. Media Center will do this as well if you run out of tuners but usually give you a conflict resolution screen to choose what to do.

The recording scheduling logic is unique to the device and a Tivo or Media Center will operate differently than a Cable System STB DVR.
post #9436 of 9440 Old 11-23-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
Do you have something else scheduled to record at the time of the first broadcast? If so the device will allow that and record the second show at the later time. Media Center will do this as well if you run out of tuners but usually give you a conflict resolution screen to choose what to do.

The recording scheduling logic is unique to the device and a Tivo or Media Center will operate differently than a Cable System STB DVR.
Here is what I had for Sunday nights as a series earlier before redoing Simpsons series recording:
7:55 PM - 8:35 PM = Simpsons on KTTV 11 (new episode)
8:55 PM - 9:35 PM = Family Guy on KTTV 11 (rerun so no record)
8:55 PM - 10:05 PM = The Walking Dead on AMC (new episode)

After deleting the old Simpsons series, I recreated a new one. I noticed it had a time option (can do 8:00, 11:00, etc., or do all times). I wonder if I had all times before for new episodes, but then tonight's 11:00 PM PST isn't new. Only 8:00 PM PST. Anyways, I told it to do 8:00 PM PST and don't see that 11:00 PM PST anymore. AFAIK, Fox doesn't do reruns of the just aired new Sunday nights' episodes.
post #9437 of 9440 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am a newcomer here. Not a big fan of cable tv, but due to conditions beyond my control, I had to have basic(starter) package enabled on my basic internet-only line. And to my dismay, I realized none of my digital TV sets, are able to find any channels on their own. I live in the high desert area (Palmdale/Lancaster) and just found this forum. Unfortunately, the apartment complex I am living in, is not able to receive any OTA signal. Tried with all of my antennas, which worked in different capacities when I lived in Van Nuys up until a couple of months ago.

Aren't cable companies supposed to provide the basic channels (likes of 5 network TV channels and local community channels) without encryption ? They gave me a little decoder box and when I told them I have more than one tv set in my home, They said additional boxes are $1.50/mo each. Not that the amount of money matters but in principle, I refuse to pay anything extra to these dishonest people. Are they within their rights to ask money for the decoders ?
post #9438 of 9440 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I am a newcomer here. Not a big fan of cable tv, but due to conditions beyond my control, I had to have basic(starter) package enabled on my basic internet-only line. And to my dismay, I realized none of my digital TV sets, are able to find any channels on their own. I live in the high desert area (Palmdale/Lancaster) and just found this forum. Unfortunately, the apartment complex I am living in, is not able to receive any OTA signal. Tried with all of my antennas, which worked in different capacities when I lived in Van Nuys up until a couple of months ago.

Aren't cable companies supposed to provide the basic channels (likes of 5 network TV channels and local community channels) without encryption ? They gave me a little decoder box and when I told them I have more than one tv set in my home, They said additional boxes are $1.50/mo each. Not that the amount of money matters but in principle, I refuse to pay anything extra to these dishonest people. Are they within their rights to ask money for the decoders ?
Nope. Blame FCC's decision for allowing encrypting QAM from cable TV providers. See https://www.google.com/search?q=fcc+qam+encrypted ...
post #9439 of 9440 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Nope. Blame FCC's decision for allowing encrypting QAM from cable TV providers. See https://www.google.com/search?q=fcc+qam+encrypted ...
Well...to be fair, I'm sure it's difficult to resist the cableco lobbyists' requests when they back a dump truck full of hundred dollar bills up to your office, and unload it in the guise of political contributions.

And let's not forget that the Chairman of the FCC spent years lobbying for the cable industry.

When it comes to things of this nature, there is no one with any power on the side of the consumer. That much is obvious.
phildaant likes this.
post #9440 of 9440 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Well...to be fair, I'm sure it's difficult to resist the cableco lobbyists' requests when they back a dump truck full of hundred dollar bills up to your office, and unload it in the guise of political contributions.

And let's not forget that the Chairman of the FCC spent years lobbying for the cable industry.

When it comes to things of this nature, there is no one with any power on the side of the consumer. That much is obvious.
And I am pretty sure TWC will be take over by Comcast in the future with FCC's approval. [sighs]

Last edited by phildaant; Yesterday at 02:07 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page