Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 9455 Unread Today, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
Thanks Phil. I just like the SB6183 due to it's smaller size. Guess I'll have to buy my own, but not sure if I want to pay about $150.
Buy it now for $129.

Personally, I decided 100/10 was just fine for my needs. That meant I could go with a lesser expensive SB6141, and drop my +$20/month Internet speed premium over Standard (for new Ultimate 200, previously named Extreme which is what I'd been getting to provide 30/5) down one level to just +$10/month premium over Standard (for new Ultimate 100, previously named Turbo which had previously provided 20/2 or something like that).
phildaant likes this.
DSperber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 9455 Unread Today, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
Yes, it's a misunderstanding and I accept your apology. I'm gonna take a wild guess here, but I think you meant to reply to "nyctveng", not me.

Believe me, lazy employees, excessive corporate greed, and shady business practices by monopolies don't turn me on either. I've learned to live with an off air antenna, but I still "need" the internet. So TWC has to stay on my payroll.
yes, holl_ands & nyctveng sound very much like the mouthpieces of cable TV monopolies or their PR shills. I know I shoudl have checked the names but I went by the avatar. Sorry. Last day b4 long weekend and I don't even want to work for things I really like to do. It was a crazy year in 2014 for me.
phildaant likes this.
thenomad is online now  
post #9453 of 9455 Unread Today, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
HowardV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Buy it now for $129.

Personally, I decided 100/10 was just fine for my needs. That meant I could go with a lesser expensive SB6141....
Ya, $129 + 10% california tax! My local Best Buy has in stock and I'm sure they won't be discounting it on Black Friday. I'm still debating the idea. I had the SB6141 (still in my closet), but I decided to go for the higher speed just because of the 20Mbs upload. For downloading, 300 is way overkill for my needs. I upload some family videos to YouTube in HD and the faster uploads are fantastic.
phildaant likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
HowardV is online now  
post #9454 of 9455 Unread Today, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
Ya, $129 + 10% california tax! My local Best Buy has in stock and I'm sure they won't be discounting it on Black Friday. I'm still debating the idea. I had the SB6141 (still in my closet), but I decided to go for the higher speed just because of the 20Mbs upload. For downloading, 300 is way overkill for my needs. I upload some family videos to YouTube in HD and the faster uploads are fantastic.
Pricematch Amazon's price at Best Buy.
phildaant is online now  
post #9455 of 9455 Unread Today, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
Yes, it's a misunderstanding and I accept your apology. I'm gonna take a wild guess here, but I think you meant to reply to "nyctveng", not me.

Believe me, lazy employees, excessive corporate greed, and shady business practices by monopolies don't turn me on either. I've learned to live with an off air antenna, but I still "need" the internet. So TWC has to stay on my payroll.
Up until last week, I was a happy camper with my 14.99/mo naked internet from TWC. I had the DOCSIS 3.0 modem from my days with cox in San Diego and my trusty router and I was set.

Last week my Mother-in-law got a surgery (83 years old) and came to live with us till the end of her days. It is very hard for me to explain watching TV on a computer to an old person. FOr my sanity, I decided to shell out extra 10 bucks a month (plus junk fees to feed the FCC fat cats of course) and found myself in the middle of this quandary all of a sudden.

As an old DIRECTV employee, I already hated the cable companies and now I am realizing why, once again. Monopolies are never good for the customer.

Oh by the way, I wish I was in your shoes, with the antenna reception of TV signals. In the high desert, there is no such thing. Antennaweb.com lists 4 channels with medium to low signal for where I am but I tried 3 different flat indoor antennas to no signal availability in the last month. So, like it or not, I have to pay for cable if someone in my household wants to watch live TV. I am happy with netflix, hulu+ and an occasional torrent of a TV show I missed everywhere otherwise.
phildaant likes this.
thenomad is online now  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off