292Likes
post #9511 of 9533 Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I am coming close to cancelling my HBO tier. I am so fed up with having a single channel in HD while the rest are SD. And yes, I know there's two HD HBO channels in the guide, but they're the same channel, just East-West feeds offset by three hours. That's a single HD channel for practical purposes.

On my Roku, when I stream TW, most of the HBO channels are HD. In N.Y., I understand ALL the HBO channels are HD. In a major market like L.A., one channel? Pathetic.

It's ridiculous to be paying extra for a premium provider that's mostly SD channels. I don't know what the hell is wrong with TW, but I'm pretty fed up with that aspect. They did the same thing to Showtime, which I cancelled. It's just stupid.
There really is no reason that they shouldn't upgrade all the Premium channels to HD. The old excuse was bandwidth due to NTSC. With SDV and all digital they should be able to work this out. Back when they had CBS blacked out, they managed to immediately put up STARZ Family in HD and now it is only in SD.

If they can carry the primary HBO, SHO, STARZ, ENCORE in HD, they should be able to call all versions in HD...or they should consider serious refunds to those of us with HD equipment.
phildaant and sted like this.

Last edited by johnw248; 12-11-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9533 Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
There really is no reason that they should upgrade all the Premium channels to HD. The old excuse was bandwidth due to NTSC. With SDV and all digital they should be able to work this out. Back when they had CBS blacked out, they managed to immediately put up STARZ Family in HD and now it is only in SD.

If they can carry the primary HBO, SHO, STARZ, ENCORE in HD, they should be able to call all versions in HD...or they should consider serious refunds to those of us with HD equipment.
I agree. I think Time-Warner has greatly overpriced its premiums and its tiers. First, $15 for the first premium tier, such as HBO, with only one hd channel, is just not worth it. I used to have all the premiums, mainly because my wife watched some of the movies, but we decided that we could no longer afford it and cancelled all the premiums--HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and Epix. We also used to have the Variety tier (included in our basic rate), Variety Plus tier, Movie tier, and HD tier. We got rid of the Movie tier because many if not most of its channels are duplicated elsewhere. And it was at least $8 a month. We also got rid of the HD tier, which is $9.95 a month for two channels (its other two channels are duplicated on other tiers). We also went with Tivo and got rid of our two dvr's and one playback unit. We were paying $20 a month for whole-house service (costs Time-Warner nothing), plus $10 for each outlet that had a box, plus $10 for dvr service. It was just a ripoff, and the equipment was always having to be reset. When I reduced the service, I reduced my bill by $150 per month. I am now paying $103 a month for cable and internet.
phildaant likes this.
post #9513 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
I agree. I think Time-Warner has greatly overpriced its premiums and its tiers. First, $15 for the first premium tier, such as HBO, with only one hd channel, is just not worth it.
HBO has been $15 or slightly below for over a decade. Even back when it was a single channel SD service. Right now TWC provides two HBO feeds of their main channel, east and west. So you have two options to view HBO in HD at any one time.
post #9514 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Ditto on the expensive TV services. I was upset when some recent HBO movies weren't even in HD.
sted likes this.
post #9515 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
HBO has been $15 or slightly below for over a decade. Even back when it was a single channel SD service. Right now TWC provides two HBO feeds of their main channel, east and west. So you have two options to view HBO in HD at any one time.
If you have a DVR, as many people do, and you record shows for later viewing, as many people with DVRs do, there is just one HBO HD channel showing the same shows offset by three hours.

Contrast that with the premium offerings by DirecTV and DISH - ALL their premium channels are in HD.

It's pathetic - no other word for it, especially considering that HBO and TW are the same company. Pathetic.

I find it astonishing that anyone would defend this utter disdain by TW for their customers.
post #9516 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
If you have a DVR, as many people do, and you record shows for later viewing, as many people with DVRs do, there is just one HBO HD channel showing the same shows offset by three hours.

Contrast that with the premium offerings by DirecTV and DISH - ALL their premium channels are in HD.

It's pathetic - no other word for it, especially considering that HBO and TW are the same company. Pathetic.

I find it astonishing that anyone would defend this utter disdain by TW for their customers.
What about other cable companies like Comcast? Do they do this too?
sted likes this.
post #9517 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
What about other cable companies like Comcast? Do they do this too?
No idea. Since 99.9% of communities are served by a single cable monopoly, it doesn't really matter. We all have to live with whatever is available, or switch to satellite or the utterly pathetic U-Verse.

A very few of us live where Verizon has built out FiOS, a vastly superior fiber based service that doesn't compress the living hell out of video, and doesn't have to use unstable tuning adapters. But it seems the FiOS buildout has stopped...
post #9518 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
No idea. Since 99.9% of communities are served by a single cable monopoly, it doesn't really matter. We all have to live with whatever is available, or switch to satellite or the utterly pathetic U-Verse.

A very few of us live where Verizon has built out FiOS, a vastly superior fiber based service that doesn't compress the living hell out of video, and doesn't have to use unstable tuning adapters. But it seems the FiOS buildout has stopped...
Yeah, I know but was just curious if all cable companies did this SD only on many channels like HBO.

Yes to FIOS. I am upset. I can't even get DSL (too far due to 20+K ft.).
sted likes this.
post #9519 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know but was just curious if all cable companies did this SD only on many channels like HBO.

Yes to FIOS. I am upset. I can't even get DSL (too far due to 20+K ft.).
I have friends who were turned down by the phone company for DSL, but when they went to a third party, it proved to be no problem. If you really want DSL, search around with Google - there are options.
post #9520 of 9533 Old 12-13-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
I have friends who were turned down by the phone company for DSL, but when they went to a third party, it proved to be no problem. If you really want DSL, search around with Google - there are options.
Even if it failed back in the 2000s with MM Internet (even got a self install modem package, but they said I couldn't get DSL near the activation date!), GTE (too far on 2 different phone lines -- 20+K ft.), Verizon (web site and phone calls said unavailable), etc.? Even dial-up suck arse (average 3 kB/sec in downloading compressed files with good connections).

Oh well, thanks God I can get cable like Excite@Home, Adelphia, and TWC (50/5 now). Too bad cable companies don't compete each other in the cities.

Last edited by phildaant; 12-13-2014 at 05:26 PM.
post #9521 of 9533 Old 12-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Pathetic, that some don't know that Time Warner Cable, the cable operator. And Time Warner, the owner of HBO are not the same company. Haven't been for years. Pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable
Originally controlled by Warner Communications, later Time Warner (the film and television production company and cable channel operator), that company spun out the cable operations in March 2009 as part of a larger restructuring. Since then, Time Warner Cable has been an entirely independent company, merely continuing to use the Time Warner brand under license from its former parent (it also previously used the "Road Runner" name for its Internet service). Time Warner Cable does own several local news and sports channels, but it no longer has any corporate affiliation with national cable channels such as CNN or HBO, which remain the property of the original Time Warner.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 12-14-2014 at 02:56 PM.
post #9522 of 9533 Old 12-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Pathetic, that some don't know that Time Warner Cable, the cable operator. And Time Warner, the owner of HBO are not the same company. Haven't been for years. Pathetic.
Really? That's what you choose to focus on in this discussion, not the pathetic level of service on the premium channels?

Are you a Time Warner employee?
sted likes this.
post #9523 of 9533 Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Really? That's what you choose to focus on in this discussion, not the pathetic level of service on the premium channels?

Are you a Time Warner employee?
I agree the focus should be the pathetic level of service of the premium channels, which, in my opinion, have become basically rip-offs at this point. Dish or DirectTV will have all the premium channels in high definition. In the number two media market, we should have a very high level of cable service. We don't.

And the only reason that Time Warner hasn't raised the rates on the premium channels recently is because of the lousy level of service. Once they get a few more of the channels in HD, bet on the rate increase coming.
phildaant likes this.
post #9524 of 9533 Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
I agree the focus should be the pathetic level of service of the premium channels, which, in my opinion, have become basically rip-offs at this point. Dish or DirectTV will have all the premium channels in high definition. In the number two media market, we should have a very high level of cable service. We don't.
Cable companies care not.
sted likes this.
post #9525 of 9533 Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Comcast actually had many of the HD premium channels and dropped them in their markets. So instead of never offering them, they had them and took them away.

In L.A., I don't get why they don't have them all in HD. They have them all in most of their large markets.

Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and Bright House Networks all have many HD premium feeds. So do AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FiOS and CenturyLink Prism.
phildaant likes this.
post #9526 of 9533 Old 12-15-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
Comcast actually had many of the HD premium channels and dropped them in their markets. So instead of never offering them, they had them and took them away.

In L.A., I don't get why they don't have them all in HD. They have them all in most of their large markets.

Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and Bright House Networks all have many HD premium feeds. So do AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FiOS and CenturyLink Prism.
It sesems like the smaller TV service providers have all HDs, but not the bigger service providers.
post #9527 of 9533 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It sesems like the smaller TV service providers have all HDs, but not the bigger service providers.
Big part of the reason is the number of off-air stations, most all in HD, that TWC has by law to provide in LA. Smaller cable operators in smaller markets don't have the number of broadcasters like available in LA and NYC. Where coincidentally , TWC operates in both. This channel crunch has been an ongoing problem in LA since cable TV started here back in the 1960s. Hopefully, switched digital video and the analog shut down will soon help the situation. But I feel TWC won't be making anymore major changes until Comcast takes over.
phildaant likes this.
post #9528 of 9533 Unread Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Big part of the reason is the number of off-air stations, most all in HD, that TWC has by law to provide in LA. Smaller cable operators in smaller markets don't have the number of broadcasters like available in LA and NYC. Where coincidentally , TWC operates in both. This channel crunch has been an ongoing problem in LA since cable TV started here back in the 1960s. Hopefully, switched digital video and the analog shut down will soon help the situation. But I feel TWC won't be making anymore major changes until Comcast takes over.
Does Time-Warner even need switched digital video now that the analogs have been shut down? From what I understand, Comcast doesn't use switched digital video. I think that there is enough space to end switched digital video and put all premiums in HD.
post #9529 of 9533 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

Cox has over 30 Premium HD channels for 1GHz/H.264 STBs.
phildaant likes this.
post #9530 of 9533 Unread Today, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Cox has over 30 Premium HD channels for 1GHz/H.264 STBs.
And you can see multiple HD feeds using TWC's Roku app instead of a STB.
post #9531 of 9533 Unread Today, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
And you can see multiple HD feeds using TWC's Roku app instead of a STB.
So, Internet feeds have HDs? What?
post #9532 of 9533 Unread Today, 12:51 PM

Quote:
So, Internet feeds have HDs? What?
Lots of coverage on TWC and Roku, just Google it. Here's a recent blurb about the on-demand. Which is great since I use a TiVo and can't get on-demand there, at least until Comcast takes over.

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2014...-to-on-demand/
phildaant likes this.
post #9533 of 9533 Unread Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Lots of coverage on TWC and Roku, just Google it. Here's a recent blurb about the on-demand. Which is great since I use a TiVo and can't get on-demand there, at least until Comcast takes over.

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2014...-to-on-demand/
Interesting. How is Roku's VoD compared to the leased TWC's cable boxes (e.g., Arris)?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page