313Likes

Old 12-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
What about other sport channels like NBA League Pass? During its free time on TWC, only 1 channel was in HD and others were in SD.
No idea. What is available streamed on the Roku is the same channels package I get as a subscriber, and I don't (nor will I ever) pay to subscribe to any sports package.

I'm already being ripped off by TW for plenty of sports channels in which I have no interest whatsoever, the Dodgers being at the top of that list.
phildaant and sted like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Why are so many Orange County systems getting rid of the public access channels? This is very bad news.

Also, CSPAN has an HD feed. We have to pay for all these sports channels, yet a feed like CSPAN that is very inexpensive can't get an HD spot on Time Warner.

And we wonder why the American public is so ill informed on most issues and has such a low participation rate in voting. Unless it is about Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian, count on the public being ill informed.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
Why are so many Orange County systems getting rid of the public access channels? This is very bad news...
That is what I'd like to know!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Effective Jan. 1, the cable company (TWC) – which has a major Charlotte administrative office and serves about 50 percent of local households – will charge subscribers a new $2.75-per-month fee for sports programming. Other changes include a 9-month-old broadcasting TV surcharge increasing from $2.25 to $2.75 per month, and an $8-per-month Internet modem lease, up from $5.99.

Subscribers who pay for HBO movie channels selectively on an “a la carte” basis will see those rates increase on their bills from $14.99 to $16.99. Customers who get those channels as part of a package deal will not be charged more.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Oh well.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
Old 12-21-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
Effective Jan. 1, the cable company (TWC) – which has a major Charlotte administrative office and serves about 50 percent of local households – will charge subscribers a new $2.75-per-month fee for sports programming. Other changes include a 9-month-old broadcasting TV surcharge increasing from $2.25 to $2.75 per month, and an $8-per-month Internet modem lease, up from $5.99.

Subscribers who pay for HBO movie channels selectively on an “a la carte” basis will see those rates increase on their bills from $14.99 to $16.99. Customers who get those channels as part of a package deal will not be charged more.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Oh well.
Ouch. Does that mean this will go to everyone like L.A.?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
... and an $8-per-month Internet modem lease, up from $5.99.
Imagine that. It was only a few years back that I decided to buy my own modem to save what was then just a $3/month monthly rental for the Internet side of my phone/internet Arris telephony DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

And now it's going up to $8/month for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, which is a 33% rate increase for something that was only recently priced at $6/month. And a 167% increase over the original $3/month price just a few years ago when they first started charging for the internet modem hardware.

Makes it that much easier to cost-justify buying your own modem.

Last edited by DSperber; 12-21-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ouch. Does that mean this will go to everyone like L.A.?
"Time Warner Cable will soon charge its 15 million customers for watching sports as the major cable provider tries compensating for the rising costs of broadcasting local channels and athletic programming."

"About 30 percent of Time Warner’s TV customers will not see the sports programming or broadcast TV surcharge increases immediately because their service is part of a promotional package, Pryzwansky said. Once their deals end, those customers will find new fees on their bills."

I'd say yes, price increases will hit LA, NYC and anywhere TWC goes.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
"Time Warner Cable will soon charge its 15 million customers for watching sports as the major cable provider tries compensating for the rising costs of broadcasting local channels and athletic programming."

"About 30 percent of Time Warner’s TV customers will not see the sports programming or broadcast TV surcharge increases immediately because their service is part of a promotional package, Pryzwansky said. Once their deals end, those customers will find new fees on their bills."

I'd say yes, price increases will hit LA, NYC and anywhere TWC goes.
I wonder when. Didn't it take a few months with previous increases like the cable modem fees added (new subscribers (1/fir)st)?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Everyone, I just had a new DCX3600M installed and the tech did not have a user guide to give me. I am a TWC LA customer. TWC could not provide a user guide/owner manual. A call to ARRIS was to no avail. They could only transfer me back to TWC. Does anyone know where I can get a user guide/owners manual for the DCX3600M that I don't have to pay for?
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martialman7 View Post
Everyone, I just had a new DCX3600M installed and the tech did not have a user guide to give me. I am a TWC LA customer. TWC could not provide a user guide/owner manual. A call to ARRIS was to no avail. They could only transfer me back to TWC. Does anyone know where I can get a user guide/owners manual for the DCX3600M that I don't have to pay for?

Usually the manuals are available on the TWC website.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
I don't see it on http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...al-cable-boxes ... How about in your TWC online account? I know TWC likes to link manuals in their leased equipments in online accounts.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Usually the manuals are available on the TWC website.
Yeah, but I didn't find it. Did you? http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...rch-q=DCX3600M failed.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DCX3600M user guide

No manual on the TWC site. No help from call to TWC tech/customer support. Any other ideas?
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No manual on the TWC site. No help from call to TWC tech/customer support. Any other ideas?
Ask them to provide one online. I am surprised they didn't offer one. Try asking in http://forums.timewarnercable.com and http://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc as well.

You could try non-TWC links in http://www.google.com/search?q=DCX3600M+manual if those help at all.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wonder when. Didn't it take a few months with previous increases like the cable modem fees added (new subscribers (1/fir)st)?
January 1, 2015
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
Old 12-21-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
January 1, 2015
I meant for everyone like in L.A. Or is that date included for L.A. subscribers?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
(I'm new to this forum, apologies if my question is in completely the wrong place. But...)

Has anyone noticed that, as of last week (I think it happened around Wednesday December 17), all of the clear QAM channels on Time Warner disappeared?

I know they had been phasing most of them out but I'm talking about the broadcast channels, like 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 13 and some others. They had always been clear QAM...and now they are gone.

Have they moved? I've been trying channel scans but I'm getting a bunch of nothing.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcworld View Post
(I'm new to this forum, apologies if my question is in completely the wrong place. But...)

Has anyone noticed that, as of last week (I think it happened around Wednesday December 17), all of the clear QAM channels on Time Warner disappeared?

I know they had been phasing most of them out but I'm talking about the broadcast channels, like 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 13 and some others. They had always been clear QAM...and now they are gone.

Have they moved? I've been trying channel scans but I'm getting a bunch of nothing.
They are encrypted too. You need a cable box/adapter/card.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I searched for "Arris DCX3600" which took me to the subject webpage...with essentially no useful information.....then clicked on "Learn More" under "More Information", revealing three options....I had to REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT, providing name, address, phone number, employers name, title (I used Comm Systems Engineer) and answers to FOUR user chosen "Security" Questions in case I ever forgot my chosen password....what a pain....THEN the SEARCH function found the "DCX3600" (drop the "M"...that's only for the MOCA Multi-Room model) under the VIDEO type.

Try this link:
https://arris--c.na13.content.force....0D30000000kUAL

However, be advised that TWC may not have chosen to enable ALL of the functionality and MAY have replaced the SETUP Menus with their own standardized "MENU" and "SETTINGS" Menus.

Of course, the above is JUST a HARDWARE User Guide....the Channel Guide, MENU, SETTINGS and other operations were developed by TWC and are Downloaded to ALL DVR's so that they ALL operate (almost) the SAME, irrespective of model number or manufacturer. So whatever TWC-LA has on their website describing the Channel Guide and other operations is everything that is available...Also checkout TWC's Video Help Channels.

PS: I have a Motorola/Arris DCX-3510M (on TWC-SD). To access Diagnostic Menus (there are TWO), hold down SELECT key on R/C for about 10 seconds until you see an additional Icon FLASHING on the Front Panel, then hit either UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW....can change Channels while within each Diagnostic Menu....hit EXIT to exit. UP ARROW MENU has most information, including Control Signal Level info, but is inexplicably MISSING Channel Signal Level info...which is only on the DOWN ARROW Menu (which uses PAGE UP/DN to navigate). You can't actually CHANGE anything without knowing TWC's Password.

Arris DCX-3510 Spec Sheet is here:
Interesting.....it has a TOTAL of 8 Tuners....but each time a TV Tuner is in use, it makes one less Tuner available for Channel Bonded Internet Download.....so if watching one Channel while recording a second, there are only FOUR Tuners available for Internet Download....reducing MAX data rate by 25%....oh, well, seems a small price to pay for reduced overall cost for BOTH TV & Internet in a single box....if you don't like it...you can always buy your OWN 8x4 Cable Modem.....
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-22-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
I searched for "Arris DCX3600" which took me to the subject webpage...with essentially no useful information.....then clicked on "Learn More" under "More Information", revealing three options....I had to REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT, providing name, address, phone number, employers name, title (I used Comm Systems Engineer) and answers to FOUR user chosen "Security" Questions in case I ever forgot my chosen password....what a pain....THEN the SEARCH function found the "DCX3600" (drop the "M"...that's only for the MOCA Multi-Room model) under the VIDEO type.

Try this link:
However, be advised that TWC may not have chosen to enable ALL of the functionality and MAY have replaced the SETUP Menus with their own standardized "SETTINGS" Menus.
Wow and good job. Yeah, it can be a pain.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 71
At least they didn't force me to "sign" an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)....like SOME "pro" websites I've visited require.....
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Which headend are you located in?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

We got the notice in 90272 that Standard Cable channels will finally be encrypted in December and that a STB or DTA would be required for all channels. Clear QAM is now dead.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
We got the notice in 90272 that Standard Cable channels will finally be encrypted in December and that a STB or DTA would be required for all channels. Clear QAM is now dead.
Mine was back in beginning of November IIRC.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Yep, same in Santa Monica. All local QAM channels are now encrypted (within the last few days). Good thing I can still receive antenna signals where I am.
phildaant likes this.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Which headend are you located in?
I'm in West Hollywood by the way.

Ugh, just caved and ordered Starter TV. (I had been using the clear QAM that came as a perk of my cable internet service....)
phildaant likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm in West Hollywood by the way.

Ugh, just caved and ordered Starter TV. (I had been using the clear QAM that came as a perk of my cable internet service....)
That should be rephrased to say, "I had been using the clear QAM without paying for it." Not a perk, some would call it cable theft.
phildaant likes this.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
That should be rephrased to say, "I had been using the clear QAM without paying for it." Not a perk, some would call it cable theft.
Just wondering. Why did FCC allow TV viewers see clear QAM for free? Why didn't they allow cable companies to make people pay in the beginning?
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Just wondering. Why did FCC allow TV viewers see clear QAM for free? Why didn't they allow cable companies to make people pay in the beginning?
This all goes way back to NTSC and the only scrambled channels then were HBO and the like. It was only after the introduction of Digital TV that cable systems started fighting cable theft. Besides the loss of revenue there were big problems with the physical plant being compromised with taps and foreign attachments. I think the first waiver was granted for a cable system in Brooklyn, but certainly was New York. The cable system had to provide a means for subscribers to receive channels without having to rent a converter box. Now we're well on the way to no clear QAM on any cable system in the US since there is a way to prevent cable theft.

That's the short answer but the long answer is the way cable tv service started which was before premium services and satellites when cable systems were really just master antenna services providing local stations but with better reception. In theory people had to pay for the cable service, there was no internet and no VOIP so the only service was NTSC retransmission and if you didn't have a wire you didn't have service. They were much better back then at disconnecting drops because there were much fewer of them.
phildaant likes this.
Old Today, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCC
...this rule change will benefit consumers who can have their cable service
activated and deactivated from a remote location. By allowing remote activation and deactivation, we
expect our amended rules will result in benefits to both cable operators and consumers by significantly
reducing the number of truck rolls associated with provisioning service and significantly reducing the
need for subscribers to wait for service calls to activate or deactivate cable service. At the same time, we
recognize that this rule change will adversely affect a small number of cable subscribers who currently
view the digital basic service tier without using a set-top box or other equipment. If a cable operator
decides to encrypt the digital basic tier, then these subscribers will need equipment to continue viewing
the channels on this tier. To give those consumers time to resolve the incompatibility between consumer
electronics equipment (such as digital television sets) and newly encrypted cable service, we require
operators of cable systems that choose to encrypt the basic service tier to comply with certain consumer
protection measures for a period of time.
http://www.fcc.gov/document/commissi...on-prohibition