Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 324 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 405Likes

post #9691 of 9711 Old 06-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
How are the signals?
Signals are strong and solid.

I subscribe to 50/5, and consistently get 60/6, and the tuner strength indicator on my TiVos are between 95 and 100% for every channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9711 Old 06-07-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Signals are strong and solid.

I subscribe to 50/5, and consistently get 60/6, and the tuner strength indicator on my TiVos are between 95 and 100% for every channel.
I meant the cable's signals like in the modem's http://192.168.100.1 ...
post #9693 of 9711 Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I meant the cable's signals like in the modem's http://192.168.100.1 ...
I haven't looked at those before. Here is what came up. I have no idea if this is good or bad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arris.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	762073  
post #9694 of 9711 Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Anyone heard anything about TW transitioning to HD on the rest of the HBO channels?

Having ONE HBO channel be in HD is pathetic. Yes, I know there are actually two, but the other is just a time shifted East coast feed, which is meaningless if you have a DVR, so just ONE HD channel.

Utterly pathetic in a major market like L.A. Utterly pathetic, TW!!

But at least they raised the price they charge for it.

And by the way, same issue with Encore - raised the price, still a single HD channel.

And to add insult to injury, if you stream HBO and/or Encore, most of the channels are in HD. It's just the stuff they feed down the cable that isn't.

It is beyond comprehension.
If you are as annoyed as I am by paying $18 a month for what is essentially ONE HBO HD channel, and $8 a month for ONE Encore HD channel (with the rest all being SD), you can let your feelings be known (as I have) by writing to cotp@twcable.com or calling the Office of the President at 212-364-8300 option 2.
phildaant likes this.
post #9695 of 9711 Old 06-18-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
If you are as annoyed as I am by paying $18 a month for what is essentially ONE HBO HD channel, and $8 a month for ONE Encore HD channel (with the rest all being SD), you can let your feelings be known (as I have) by writing to cotp@twcable.com or calling the Office of the President at 212-364-8300 option 2.
Did they answer you?
post #9696 of 9711 Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Did they answer you?
I wrote this earlier today:

Quote:
I am extremely disappointed to find that in a major market like Los Angeles, you continue to offer a SINGLE HD channel for HBO while continually raising the monthly price for it (mine has increased 50% since I subscribed - from $12 to $18 a month).

Yes, I know there are in fact two HD HBO channels, but one is just a 3 hour delay of the other, so for those with DVRs, they are the same channel. And the two HD channels offer BY FAR the fewest movies, which is why I have HBO in the first place.

And while we're on the subject, your single HD channel for Encore is also disappointing, its price having increased 60% since my original subscription, from $5 to $8 a month.

This is Los Angeles, not some backwater town in Oregon. ALL channels available in HD should be given to your customers, not just the ones convenient to you.

I will be retiring shortly, and will need to reduce my monthly expenses somewhat, and spending more than $300 a year for what is essentially two HD channels will be one of the first things I will consider throwing overboard.

Really, I would be embarrassed to offer HBO and Encore mostly in standard def in 2015.
I got back the following email this afternoon:

Quote:
Thank you for writing us. I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you have encountered
with Time Warner Cable. I have already contacted the Executive Response team that oversees your
area. The Executive Response team is very thorough and they will be in contact with you to address
your concerns as soon as possible. You could also contact the Office of the President at
212-364-8300 option 2 if you have further questions.

Your feedback is extremely important and appreciated.

Regards,

Vonda R.
Customer Care Advocate
Time Warner Cable | Office of the President
You'll note Vonda R. did not wish to give her last name. We'll see if they follow up.

I believe that if they get a couple of dozen emails similar to mine, they will do something about this.

In New York, most all the HBO and Encore channels are in HD, as they are when you stream TW on Roku.

We're just being screwed over here in L.A. for some unknown reason.
phildaant likes this.
post #9697 of 9711 Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Did they answer you?
They called me on the phone yesterday, and the nice woman admitted that it was indeed pretty awful and they were discussing it internally but couldn't give me an answer as to what, if anything, they will do about it.

Then she gave me a $25/month discount on the package of services I get from them (cable, Internet, 2 phone lines) for the next year. So not a total loss.

But I really believe that if enough people complain in email about this specific issue by writing to cotp@twcable.com or calling the Office of the President at 212-364-8300 option 2, TW will do something about it. I suspect the problem is inertia in the L.A. office more than anything else at this point.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by DougDingle; 06-20-2015 at 10:43 AM.
post #9698 of 9711 Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
They called me on the phone yesterday, and the nice woman admitted that it was indeed pretty awful and they were discussing it internally but couldn't give me an answer as to what, if anything, they will do about it.

Then she gave me a $25/month discount on the package of services I get from them (cable, Internet, 2 phone lines) for the next year. So not a total loss.

But I really believe that if enough people complain in email about this specific issue, TW will do something about it. I suspect the problem is inertia in the L.A. office more than anything else at this point.
Ah, thanks.
post #9699 of 9711 Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Unable to get a Technicolor Digital Adapter (DTA) remote control (RC) to work...

Hello.

I am helping an old TWC subscriber with his Technicolor Digital Adapter (DTA; DCI401TWC2 model) remote control (RC; RC2843001/01B). He currently has to use both RCs to watch and control small portable TV (Prism Digital ATSC-071 model), and wanted to just use one/1.

After the instructions in reading http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...chnicolor.html and http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...structions.pdf , I was still unable to get this RC to power off his TV. It mentioned if they still failed, then the user has to use 2 RCs. Is this true or are we doing it wrong?

Also, the RC's DTA Power button doesn't turn off/on the Technicolor DTA box. Are they/Is one of them broken, or something and need to replace to fix (related to not getting TV to turn off/on)?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by phildaant; 08-16-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #9700 of 9711 Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Hello.

I am helping an old TWC subscriber with his Technicolor Digital Adapter (DTA) remote control (RC; RC2843001/01B). He currently has to use both RCs to watch and control small portable TV (Prism Digital ATSC-071 model), and wanted to just use one/1.

After the instructions in reading http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...chnicolor.html and http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...structions.pdf , I was still unable to get this RC to power off his TV. It mentioned if they still failed, then the user has to use 2 RCs. Is this true or are we doing it wrong?

Also, the RC's DTA Power button doesn't turn off/on the Technicolor DTA box. Are they/Is one of them broken, or something and need to replace to fix (related to not getting TV to turn off/on)?

Thank you in advance.
If you cannot program the Technicolor remote to that sub $100 portableTV set, your friend will have to use the remote that came with the TV to turn it on and off and control volume. If you are doing everything the instructions say about programming, you are not doing anything wrong. Its just a TV that the Technicolor doesn't recognize. Channels will be changed using the Technicolor remote.

The DTA power never turns off no matter what you do to the remote. It is designed to stay on all the time.

If he really wants to use one remote, I suggest replacing the TV with another, more common model
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 08-16-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #9701 of 9711 Old 08-16-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
If you cannot program the Technicolor remote to that sub $100 portableTV set, your friend will have to use the remote that came with the TV to turn it on and off and control volume. If you are doing everything the instructions say about programming, you are not doing anything wrong. Its just a TV that the Technicolor doesn't recognize. Channels will be changed using the Technicolor remote.

The DTA power never turns off no matter what you do to the remote. It is designed to stay on all the time.

If he really wants to use one remote, I suggest replacing the TV with another, more common model
Thanks. I'll let him know. FYI, he is not a friend.
post #9702 of 9711 Old 08-17-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll let him know. FYI, he is not a friend.
The other option is to buy an inexpensive 'learning' remote, and teach it the appropriate buttons from the two remotes. Less expensive than replacing the TV.
phildaant likes this.
post #9703 of 9711 Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Motorola DCX3400 DVR had updates to software v.81.51-R31.1.r-4 and Firmware 34.07. Beside displaying the channel call letter in addition to the channel number when changing channels, what else do they do? They updates wiped out my program guide and it will take a few days to download everything again. That's something which wasn't addressed.

Arvy
post #9704 of 9711 Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
The other option is to buy an inexpensive 'learning' remote, and teach it the appropriate buttons from the two remotes. Less expensive than replacing the TV.
The Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Remote Control is a fantastic little Learning Remote. This has been my go-to universal remote for friends and family and anyone else who needs an inexpensive remote to replace up to 7 remotes, especially if they have a Tivo or DVR (it's optimized for DVR). I set one up for my 90-year-old mother-in-law to control her Sony LCD TV, TWC DVR, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, and bookshelf stereo system and she has no problem using it. I have one in a bedroom (3 devices), and another in the dining room to control 5 of my Man-Room devices. The only downside for me is that it does not have Macro capability, but it's a comfy little remote that's easy to use.

Available on Ebay for as low as $5.99 with free shipping (search for "Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Remote Control")

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9705 of 9711 Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Remote Control

Won't work with the RF only Technicolor DTA
post #9706 of 9711 Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Amber alert on TV from my DVR?

This is a first to me. As of a few minutes after turning on my cable DVR, I saw a top screen's red scrolling banner saying "Civil Authorities issued a Child Abuduction for the following counties: ..." It stayed up for a few minutes. How does one manually disable or make it go away? Also, did anyone see it too?

Thank you in advance.
post #9707 of 9711 Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
This is a first to me. As of a few minutes after turning on my cable DVR, I saw a top screen's red scrolling banner saying "Civil Authorities issued a Child Abuduction for the following counties: ..." It stayed up for a few minutes. How does one manually disable or make it go away? Also, did anyone see it too?

Thank you in advance.
I didn't see that one but have seen Child Abduction Amber Alerts before... the ones with name, age, body measurements, license plate, etc. You cannot turn them off. Those kind of things are broadcast by civil authorities, the state, county, weather agencies, etc. in emergency type situations just like the Cal Trans banners on every freeway in L.A. If you want to disregard them, turn off the TV, mute the sound, or take a break for a minute or two. Actually, I've become proficient in aping that god-awful, incessant, grating squeal noise the Emergency Alert System makes. It's a head turner at work.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #9708 of 9711 Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
I didn't see that one but have seen Child Abduction Amber Alerts before... the ones with name, age, body measurements, license plate, etc. You cannot turn them off. Those kind of things are broadcast by civil authorities, the state, county, weather agencies, etc. in emergency type situations just like the Cal Trans banners on every freeway in L.A. If you want to disregard them, turn off the TV, mute the sound, or take a break for a minute or two. Actually, I've become proficient in aping that god-awful, incessant, grating squeal noise the Emergency Alert System makes. It's a head turner at work.
Work lets you watch TV? :P

I didn't see this on my DVR recording, so I assume it doesn't get recorded?
post #9709 of 9711 Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello again.

I noticed Arris DCX3510M DVR's series options are different due to an overnight upgrade (ODN v7.3.2_22 2015/07/23 15:03). However, the new menu is slow and uhh buggy (my old series settings show record this new episode only, but yet schedule show repeating future new episodes?). Is anyone seeing this too? And yes, I already power cycled it.

Thank you in advance.
post #9710 of 9711 Old 08-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Hello again.

I noticed Arris DCX3510M DVR's series options are different due to an overnight upgrade (ODN v7.3.2_22 2015/07/23 15:03). However, the new menu is slow and uhh buggy (my old series settings show record this new episode only, but yet schedule show repeating future new episodes?). Is anyone seeing this too? And yes, I already power cycled it.

Thank you in advance.
If I understand correctly, it will show "possible" recording of future shows but will only get done if priority bumps the first one. The recording for future duplicates should disappear once the first one gets recorded. Also after an upgrade there can be a couple days before the Guide settles down. /Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #9711 of 9711 Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post
If I understand correctly, it will show "possible" recording of future shows but will only get done if priority bumps the first one. The recording for future duplicates should disappear once the first one gets recorded. Also after an upgrade there can be a couple days before the Guide settles down. /Dan
Well, it was the recording options. I had a weird glitch last night while watching my recording. My status when fast forwarding (FFing) wasn't there. :OI think this upgrade is buggy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page