Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 436Likes

Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Cough, cough... Windows Media Center with Ceton/Hauppauge tuner cards
I had that setup a few years ago. Didn't make it past the wife acceptance test. "What do you mean I have to reboot the TV?".

Switched to TiVo, never looked back. Especially with TiVo Mini for multi-room support and Stream for out of home viewing. And Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows Media Center. Should tell you something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
Do you have the Triple Play rates in L.A. too? One would be more my speed if I go with Charter now.
Go to TimeWarnerCable.com. Log in and then hit UPGRADE up top. Then look for the Charter Packages on the lower right. I'm being offered a Triple Gold, since I all ready have a double play TWC package. Its cheaper than what I have now. But when I sign up for the package, I get an email asking me to call in, the reps can't see what i ordered and start offering me the same package at about $20 more per month. So I'm waiting for Charter marketing to get off their asses and get the current subscriber upgrade packages populated into the CSR's system.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Final note... apparently the channel lineup for Charter/Spectrum is different from that of TWC/LA. So if you are (like me) and you use a 3rd-party Guide data (i.e. Schedules Direct for my Windows Media Center setup), there will be one (or two for my 90292 zipcode which has two different infrastructures and corresponding channel lineups) new channel lineup ID. If you use rented DVR/STB boxes you'll just be given the new Charter/Spectrum channel lineup (and you'll have to re-set your series recordings, favorite channel lists, etc.) at some upcoming point in time. No doubt Schedules Direct and Rovi (for MWC) will be given the new set of channel lineups for the zip code, in order to support grandfathered setups that will still be using the current TWC channel lineup and new account setups which will be using the Charter/Spectrum channel lineup.
I have a TiVo currently on the TWC CLU for Los Angeles. The Charter CLU isn't different, all the channel numbers are the same, its just that you won't get some channels if you stay on a TWC package. For example new channel 299 now appears on my TiVo, but its not authorized. Just like all the foreign language channels I don't subscribe to. They show up, I just can't get them. Rovi hasn't sent any updates yet to my TiVo. I'd be surprised if they published two different lineups for the same system.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD1 View Post
I have a TiVo currently on the TWC CLU for Los Angeles. The Charter CLU isn't different, all the channel numbers are the same, its just that you won't get some channels if you stay on a TWC package. For example new channel 299 now appears on my TiVo, but its not authorized. Just like all the foreign language channels I don't subscribe to. They show up, I just can't get them. Rovi hasn't sent any updates yet to my TiVo. I'd be surprised if they published two different lineups for the same system.
Hmm... to be honest, I didn't double-check what the CSR told me on the phone earlier. I simply trusted him when he told me "they're slightly different", and I didn't inquire further. In fact he even agreed with me when I said I would then expect a new set of Charter/Spectrum lineup id's to make their way to Schedules Direct for my zip code, in order to support the unique TWC and Charter lineups (with whatever their small differences) in the same zip code.

But if as you say the channel numbers are the same (although the availability might be different based on tier or service level), then maybe the CSR misspoke or I just should have pressed him. So if my earlier post is incorrect in this regard, I stand corrected now.

For sure, I'm still planning on doing NOTHING. I'm going forward exactly as I currently am configured, both on price and services. So I expect (perhaps naively?) to see no change at all, at least for the forseeable future.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The only change I saw on my TiVo channel lineup when I switched to a Spectrum bundle was that MGM Movies went away, and HDNET MOVIES appeared on channel 640.

No guide data for that yet, but I have submitted a ticket to TiVo that it needs to be added.

Last edited by DougDingle; 09-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
The only change I saw on my TiVo channel lineup when I switched to a Spectrum bundle was that MGM Movies went away, and HDNET MOVIES appeared on channel 640.

No guide data for that yet, but I have submitted a ticket to TiVo that is needs to be added.

What Spectrum bundle do you have?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sted View Post
What Spectrum bundle do you have?
I got the Gold bundle with 100/10 Internet. The agent said around $160/month all in, but I haven't gotten the first bill yet, so we'll see. More premium movie channels than I can possibly eat, and almost all of them in HD.

By the time I got all the channels I wanted 'a la carte' by picking a lesser bundle plus some digital tiers and HBO, the price was within ten dollars of the 'everything in the universe' Gold package, so I went with that.

What I did discover is that going to the actual store front (as opposed to doing it on the phone) got me a better deal - the CSRs seemed much more amenable to keep looking until they found me something I liked. I would have done it on the phone as I always have, but I had to return the phone modem after cancelling phone with them, and I'm glad I took the time.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I got the Gold bundle with 100/10 Internet. The agent said around $160/month all in, but I haven't gotten the first bill yet, so we'll see. More premium movie channels than I can possibly eat, and almost all of them in HD.

By the time I got all the channels I wanted 'a la carte' by picking a lesser bundle plus some digital tiers and HBO, the price was within ten dollars of the 'everything in the universe' Gold package, so I went with that.

What I did discover is that going to the actual store front (as opposed to doing it on the phone) got me a better deal - the CSRs seemed much more amenable to keep looking until they found me something I liked. I would have done it on the phone as I always have, but I had to return the phone modem after cancelling phone with them, and I'm glad I took the time.

I have a question for you: I also have Tivo. I have spoken to different csr's. One told me that I can change to Spectrum services without changing my cable card, another told me that I need a new cable card. Which is correct?
Old 09-25-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I have a question for you: I also have Tivo. I have spoken to different csr's. One told me that I can change to Spectrum services without changing my cable card, another told me that I need a new cable card. Which is correct?
I have the same multi cable card I've had for about two years, from when I first got my Roamio. They were able to authorize it for the new Gold package without issue. So I think the CSR who told you that you needed a new one is misinformed. There is a LOT of bad info floating around inside Spectrum right now with the transition still fresh, from what I can tell.

That's not to say, of course, that they can't just disable it this week and insist I get a new one, but for now (it's been a few days) so far so good.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Final note... apparently the channel lineup for Charter/Spectrum is different from that of TWC/LA.
The channel lineups are the same as of this writing. Charter has all ready added/changed some channels to its system and are reflected in the TWC lineups.

Its the tier levels and what is included that's different. For example 299 is on the wire to everyone, but only those who subscribe to the Charter package will get it. Expect name changes by external providers of CLU like Rovi (TiVo), and channel additions/changes to that lineup. I just got some changes yesterday that renamed English League Premier Soccer overflow channels to the TWC lineups.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 AM

Quote:

No guide data for that yet, but I have submitted a ticket to TiVo that it needs to be added.

What package includes HDNET Movies? Does anyone know where a channel guide that defines the channels in each tier can be found?
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Go to TimeWarnerCable.com. Log in and then hit UPGRADE up top. Then look for the Charter Packages on the lower right. I'm being offered a Triple Gold, since I all ready have a double play TWC package. Its cheaper than what I have now. But when I sign up for the package, I get an email asking me to call in, the reps can't see what i ordered and start offering me the same package at about $20 more per month. So I'm waiting for Charter marketing to get off their asses and get the current subscriber upgrade packages populated into the CSR's system.
Switching to Charter isn't an option for me at this time at least through the website. TWC did cut me a promo deal which lasts until about April. The cost isn't too much but only a little high so I'll stick it out then change plans to something similar (probably Silver Triple Play). There isn't much I'm missing now... maybe HBO, Showtime, etc. instead of Epix is better. That depends on what is airing when anyway. I do enjoy HBO's and Showtimes's comedy specials. Or I can call/visit an office to get a better comparison. The chat agent was pretty much held to her script and became useless. At this point, there seems to be as much to "UGH" about with Charter as there is with TWC.

Arvy
Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
What package includes HDNET Movies? Does anyone know where a channel guide that defines the channels in each tier can be found?
The Gold package, and Digi Tier 2 do. I've attached a PDF of the channel lineup brochure I picked up at the Spectrum store.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spectrum channels and tiers.pdf (39.4 KB, 24 views)
Marc Alexander and phildaant like this.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The Gold package, and Digi Tier 2 do. I've attached a PDF of the channel lineup brochure I picked up at the Spectrum store.

Thank you!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:

I have a Tivo Roamio and was a TWC subscriber with variety and variety plus, but no premiums and I did not order any extras beyond what I have described--no sports pack, no hd pack, no HBO, Showtime, etc. The hd pack for TWC was a package of three channels for $9, which was the most overpriced package in history.

Anyway, I went to Spectrum Select plus Digital Tiers 1 and 2, which would lower my rates by a few dollars and give me all the channels I had, plus 25 new ones. The change was made, but the 25 new channels (primarily channels from the TWC hd pack and sports pack, plus a few others) show up as unauthorized. I won't bore everyone with a list of channels, but the ones showing up as unauthorized include 408 the Outdoor Channel, 377-381 the Pac 12 channels, 640 HD Net, 634 Universal HD, 623 Flix, 137 Crime, and 141 Military. I spent some time with a CSR and she kept sending activation signals, then finally gave up and scheduled a truck roll. She said the technician will not leave until the problem is corrected.

On another note, I spoke to the cable card desk. The representative was knowledgeable and told me that the CSR's have it wrong when they say a cable card must be replaced to change to a Spectrum package. As I already suspected, he said the existing cable card will work with all Spectrum packages.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM

If the added channels are tuned by the Tuning Adapter, you may have to reboot it to have it pick up the new information. I've had the same sort of thing happen here, and a TA reboot fixed it.
Old Today, 10:03 AM

It seems that MGM Movies has reappeared in my guide (it was supposed to be replaced by HDNET MOVIES, according to the CSR), but I get a "not authorized" screen prompt when I tune to it, which is weird because the Gold package should have ALL the movie channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement