Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 444Likes

post #9871 of 9872 Old Today, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I am in 90292 Marina Del Rey (formerly Hollywood/Westchester channel lineup, "former Comcast" Motorola infrastructure).

I have an HTPC with cablecard-enabled Ceton tuners. I just completed construction of a new HTPC and everything seems to be working fine, except for the following:

Channels 552, 553, 554 and 555 (secondary Showtime HD channels added by TWC last year, around the same time as the secondary HBO channels were also added) are not coming in properly. These four Showtime channels are delivered via SDV and tuning adapter, rather than through the main coax as channels 551 and 559 are. Channels 551 and 559 are received just fine by my HTPC.

Note that the secondary HBO channels that I care about (512, 513, 515 and 516) are received perfectly, as are primary HBO channels 511 and 518. I think these secondary HBO channels are delivered via SDV and tuning adapter if I'm not mistaken, while again the primary HBO channels are on the main coax.

So it's just the secondary Showtime tuning adapter channels I'm having trouble with. The Ceton interface shows very low signal strength and very low signal-to-noise ratio for these four channels. Every other tuning adapter channel across the board is perfect, except for 552, 553, 554 and 555.

==> If you subscribe to Showtime, can you please tell me if you have any problem receiving these four secondary channels? If you had your own HTPC that would be great as your setup would then match mine and we'd be talking apples to apples. But even if you had a genuine STB/DVR I would expect the impact of "no signal" to be seen as a black screen, or "no TV signal" message, or whatever.

I was on the phone for an hour last night with the cablecard department, and we were unable to determine what might be responsible for my symptom. It's bizarre that it is isolated to four particular channels, all related to Showtime, and all being the secondary channels added last year. I honestly have never ever watched one of these channels since they were added, but because I was checking out my new HTPC machine I happened to stumble into this discovery this week.

Anyway, they have set up a tech visit for today, Tuesday morning, who will come with sufficient equipment (including another cablecard and tuning adapter, for use if necessary) to hopefully figure this one out. I actually still do have my original HTPC (currently been disconnected from the coax) still intact, so I can literally just swap the coax and USB cable in the morning to see if the symptom is unique to my new HTPC or if it is also seen on my original HTPC.

So, can I just get some confirmation from others that you have no problem receiving 552, 553, 554 and 555? Or do you, too, have trouble?

Thanks.

I am in SPas/SanMarino with a Tivo (with tuning adapter and cable card). I subscribe to these channels and have never had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9872 Old Today, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Those four Showtime channels come in fine in the Hollywood Hills area not far from the Hollywood sign.

Running a TiVo Roamio Pro with cable card and tuning adapter.

I have had occasional "channels missing" problems in the past, and they have been resolved by rebooting the TA and having it get fresh "guide info" which is really a new channel mapping table.

I suspect either your cable card (more likely) or TA are defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page