post #991 of 9003 Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom25sm View Post

I spoke to Adelphia finally, and they blamed it on a "fiber-cut".

I blame it on poor service.

Maybe they need the CSI folks to find the "fiber"??

On another note. This morning the channels are all back, but, I have a CableCard in my living room HDTV. I've noticed in the recent past that audio from it was in sync with other TVs that are connected directly to the cable. This morning, it's out of sync by about 5 seconds, just like I'm going through a box of some sort? Did they make the CC pure digital now, maybe because of the "fiber cut"??

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 9003 Old 09-30-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I just wrote the letter below to ESPN. Is anyone else pissed off like I am??

"Hello,

I am paying Adelphia $1.50 extra each month for ESPN-HD. Why?? I admit, I'm a fool. Today is an example. I sat down to watch the NY Yakees/Boston Redsox game on ESPN-HD. Why is the game NOT in HD, why are you even bothering? I have ESPN on my regular cable. There is no need to broadcast it on ESPN-HD if it's NOT in HD. On top of which, I pay $1.50 extra each and every month to see Chris Berman's fat a$$ in 16:9 HD! Why!?!?!? What is the point?? Where is the content??? This is not the first time I've been pissed by this technique you pull off, it's just the straw. I want an answer, and not from a bot!
Joseph Spiegel
About to pull the plug and save $1.50!"

post #993 of 9003 Old 09-30-2005, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdahlinger View Post

Same in hollywood (eagle rock).. Support number has been disconnected too.

Oh well, guess I'll catch Lost next season.

I saw on the "Hollywood Report" on KABC 7 tonight they are going to replay Lost after Moday Night Football this week.

Just FYI.

Jim
post #994 of 9003 Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Excellent! Thanks, Jim.
post #995 of 9003 Old 10-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I just wrote the letter below to ESPN. Is anyone else pissed off like I am??

"Hello,

I am paying Adelphia $1.50 extra each month for ESPN-HD. Why?? I admit, I'm a fool. Today is an example. I sat down to watch the NY Yakees/Boston Redsox game on ESPN-HD. Why is the game NOT in HD, why are you even bothering? I have ESPN on my regular cable. There is no need to broadcast it on ESPN-HD if it's NOT in HD. On top of which, I pay $1.50 extra each and every month to see Chris Berman's fat a$$ in 16:9 HD! Why!?!?!? What is the point?? Where is the content??? This is not the first time I've been pissed by this technique you pull off, it's just the straw. I want an answer, and not from a bot!
Joseph Spiegel
About to pull the plug and save $1.50!"

I'm curious Joe. What exactly do you want ESPN to do? Should ESPN-HD go dark when the programming isn't available in HD? There has to be a transition period. It's simply going to take years before everything is in HD. That's the simple reality.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #996 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrc View Post

I'm curious Joe. What exactly do you want ESPN to do? Should ESPN-HD go dark when the programming isn't available in HD? There has to be a transition period. It's simply going to take years before everything is in HD. That's the simple reality.

Good question, and I'd have to say I'd rather they broadcast it than not, because at least it's digital so the PQ is a little better (IMO).

However something still confuses me. If Friday's game wasn't shown in HD, how come Saturday's was when it was shown on Fox? So OK, they probably don't use the same cameras, but you can't blame it on the ballpark not being able to handle HD technology. So what was ESPN doing with their HD cameras? I mean, it's not like the game was "just another game."

I understand Joe's frustration, and I agree. I guess it's just frustrating that there's not as much HD programming as we would all like, and it's particularly frustrating when ESPNHD charges $1.50 a month and then doesn't deliver HD broadcasts when there's no apparent reason why not.

-Dan
post #997 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe they should stop charging extra for a service they don't provide. I'll stop paying but that's not the right solution. What really pissed me off was EVERY time I wanted to actually watch a game on ESPN-HD, in the past few weeks, it's been in SD. YES thay SHOULD go dark, I have ESPN on channel 39 for free.

post #998 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

Good question, and I'd have to say I'd rather they broadcast it than not, because at least it's digital so the PQ is a little better (IMO).

However something still confuses me. If Friday's game wasn't shown in HD, how come Saturday's was when it was shown on Fox? So OK, they probably don't use the same cameras, but you can't blame it on the ballpark not being able to handle HD technology. So what was ESPN doing with their HD cameras? I mean, it's not like the game was "just another game."

I understand Joe's frustration, and I agree. I guess it's just frustrating that there's not as much HD programming as we would all like, and it's particularly frustrating when ESPNHD charges $1.50 a month and then doesn't deliver HD broadcasts when there's no apparent reason why not.

-Dan

On top of that, it was when I saw a Yanks/BoSox game earlier in the season on ESPN-HD that made me subscribe, so they've had cameras at both of these parks before, just not AT THE CLIMAX OF THE SEASON!

post #999 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On top of that, it was when I saw a Yanks/BoSox game earlier in the season on ESPN-HD that made me subscribe, so they've had cameras at both of these parks before, just not AT THE CLIMAX OF THE SEASON!

I hear you, brother! At least it's in HD today... (he says while posting during a commercial).

-Dan
post #1000 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YES thay SHOULD go dark, I have ESPN on channel 39 for free.

I would rather see dancin girls during the SD broadcasting rather than complete darkness.
post #1001 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wondering what qualifies as being able to add an HD moniker to your station nameone HD program per month ?
post #1002 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Dan

I don't know, but I would guess that ABC/ESPN rented an SD truck since it was on ESPN and Fox sprang for an HD truck because it was on the network. These operations are operating within a budget and they can't do everything in HD for the less than 10% of Americans that can currently see it. It could also be that the Friday night game was a simulcast of a local station that has TV rights and ESPN just piggybacked on that feed. Even here in L.A. we only see the Dodgers in HD when it's a national game.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #1003 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even here in L.A. we only see the Dodgers in HD when it's a national game.

Being a Dodger fan myself, I have to say that I'm not sure I would have wanted to see much of this ugly season in HD.

By the way, does anyone know why we don't have all the local LA stations in HD on Adelphia? At least here in the Fullerton area, we only get 2, 4, 7, 11 and 28 (PBS). I think 5 and 13 also broadcast in HD, don't they?

-Dan
post #1004 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

I would rather see dancin girls during the SD broadcasting rather than complete darkness.

Agreed, good idea!

post #1005 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know, but I would guess that ABC/ESPN rented an SD truck since it was on ESPN and Fox sprang for an HD truck because it was on the network. These operations are operating within a budget and they can't do everything in HD for the less than 10% of Americans that can currently see it. It could also be that the Friday night game was a simulcast of a local station that has TV rights and ESPN just piggybacked on that feed. Even here in L.A. we only see the Dodgers in HD when it's a national game.

Then, why call your self "XYZ"-HD and charge EXTRA for this channel?? Discovery-HDT is wall to wall HD and included in the basic HD package of most if not all providers.

post #1006 of 9003 Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Being a Dodger fan myself, I have to say that I'm not sure I would have wanted to see much of this ugly season in HD.

By the way, does anyone know why we don't have all the local LA stations in HD on Adelphia? At least here in the Fullerton area, we only get 2, 4, 7, 11 and 28 (PBS). I think 5 and 13 also broadcast in HD, don't they?

-Dan

5 (WB) does A LOT, 13(UPN) just watching, don't forget 9 on Sundays sometimes!

post #1007 of 9003 Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 PM

Yeah, Joe, that was lame not having the Sox/Yanks in HD on ESPN.

ESPN-HD is mysterious in another way for me; three times in the last month I've turned it on to watch a scheduled Angels game, and I got the "Blue Screen of Death (you aren't subscribed to this channel...if you are, check your cable blah blah blah...).

Anyone know what is the deal with that? It can't be some blackout rule - the last time it happened it was an away game (Boston, I think)! The channel comes back on right after the game ends. The game is also always on ESPN SD.

Of course, every time it happens I try to call Adelphia but, as you all know, Adelphia's "help" line is either overwhelmed (so they say), or disconnected...

pj1016
post #1008 of 9003 Old 10-03-2005, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1016 View Post

ESPN-HD is mysterious in another way for me; three times in the last month I've turned it on to watch a scheduled Angels game, and I got the "Blue Screen of Death (you aren't subscribed to this channel...if you are, check your cable blah blah blah...).

Anyone know what is the deal with that? It can't be some blackout rule - the last time it happened it was an away game (Boston, I think)! The channel comes back on right after the game ends. The game is also always on ESPN SD.

Of course, every time it happens I try to call Adelphia but, as you all know, Adelphia's "help" line is either overwhelmed (so they say), or disconnected...

pj1016

I always assumed it was because of a blackout rule. I don't remember it happening during an away game, but it might have and you're right, that wouldn't make as much sense.

-Dan
post #1009 of 9003 Old 10-03-2005, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pj1016

I thought it was a blackout rule too. Are you sure it was ESPN, not FSW?

post #1010 of 9003 Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:

pj1016

The game will be blacked out on ESPN if it is being shown on FSW or a local station as the regional telecasts will usually take precedent. Usually, ESPN will show a different game, but if that is the only thing that they are showing in HD perhaps they just black it out instead.
post #1011 of 9003 Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxMldr1121 View Post

The game will be blacked out on ESPN if it is being shown on FSW or a local station as the regional telecasts will usually take precedent. Usually, ESPN will show a different game, but if that is the only thing that they are showing in HD perhaps they just black it out instead.

As I said, the Angel game was being shown on ESPN SD...but not on HD.

pj1016
post #1012 of 9003 Old 10-04-2005, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Los Angeles 'Desperate' for cable contracts after TV snafu

After "Housewives" is mistakenly broadcast in Spanish, City Council members tell regulators six years is too long to make a new deal.

By Rong-Gong Lin II Los Angeles Times Staff Writer October 4, 2005

A day after Adelphia Communications Corp. erroneously broadcast "Desperate Housewives" in Spanish to 175,000 Los Angeles cable customers, City Council members rebuked its regulators for the slow pace of negotiating new contracts which they said could improve service.

The city's cable regulatory agency was the subject of a highly critical audit in May by Controller Laura Chick, saying that Los Angeles had delayed negotiating new contracts with cable providers since 1999 and missed opportunities to require better service from the companies.

Officials with the city's Information Technology Agency said they began negotiations with cable companies in July but were unsure when they would be finished.

This was met with looks of consternation from some council members on the audit and government efficiency committee, who said they couldn't believe it was taking so long.

"It takes the city multiple years, then it becomes a joke because it doesn't happen," said Councilman Tom LaBonge. "Who is the point person who says, 'Hey you can't go home until we work this out' ?"

He added that updated cable contracts could bring in more money for the city than the existing 18-year-old agreements.

The debate comes several months after the city approved one of the nation's strictest consumer protection rules covering cable service. The rules allow the city to impose fines and place limits on how long customers can wait on the phone for service. City officials said they receive about 2,000 complaints a year about cable service.

The latest issue to draw customers' ire was the transmission of "Desperate Housewives." Adelphia said that the cause of Sunday night's broadcast in Spanish was traced to an equipment failure that erroneously picked up KABC TV's simulcast of the popular show which is supposed to be aired on a secondary audio programming channel and fed it into the primary English-language broadcast.

While City Council members were unaware of that problem, officials said it's the ongoing complaints about poor cable service that underscore the need to quickly renegotiate the contracts, which were negotiated in 1987 and expired in 2002.

"We made it clear [to the agency] that we only have leverage [to demand better service] when we have an agreement," said Councilwoman Wendy Greuel, who noted that she was told in 2002 that negotiations were about to begin. "I think the city needs to take a stronger position to make those companies accountable."

Greuel also noted that the agency has historically been years behind in auditing the cable companies' performance. But she praised the agency for catching up with the audits, which General Manager Thera Bradshaw said are up-to-date.

Bradshaw also said in a report to Chick that the agency is supporting the efforts of the cable TV franchise renewal negotiating team, which is being led by the chief legislative analyst, the city attorney and a lead negotiator hired by the city.

In the meantime, Adelphia was busy explaining to customers what went wrong with "Desperate Housewives."

The equipment failure was indirectly related to cable equipment damaged Wednesday in the Topanga fire, which caused a temporary outage for an unknown number of Adelphia customers. Adelphia then rerouted its cable signal at an alternate location; a malfunction in that setup caused the problem to occur Sunday night, the company said.

About 20% of Adelphia's Southern California's customers were affected, including 65,000 subscribers in Hemet, Moreno Valley and Redlands, said spokesman Art Maulsby.

The problem continued for the first 50 minutes of the one-hour show ABC's No. 1 program nationwide according to Nielsen Media Research when the network's Los Angeles affiliate, KABC-TV Channel 7, shut off the Spanish simulcast, according to the station.

Adelphia customer Diane Feldman was at a theater rehearsal when she received a call from her distraught husband as he tried to record the show.

"He called me, and said, 'I'm really sorry, but it's in Spanish,' " said Feldman, 37, a West Los Angeles subscriber. "He was kind of panicky. He's totally addicted to 'Desperate Housewives.' "

This is the second time in a week that Adelphia customers have called to complain about outages affecting KABC programming.

Because of the outage Wednesday night, the station received 1,000 calls from viewers who missed a new episode of "Lost," the network's second most popular program, ranked third nationally. In response, KABC rebroadcast that episode Monday night.

The station received hundreds of calls Monday complaining about the "Desperate Housewives" broadcast. The show is ranked No. 2 overall in national ratings. The episode is to be rebroadcast Saturday night.

"Our phones have been lit up like a Christmas tree," station spokesman William Burton said.

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-me...?coll=cl-tvent
post #1013 of 9003 Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having severe pixelation on all channels via either my Moxi DVR or directly through the CableCard into my HDTV. This is on all channels analog or digital.
Is anyone else having issues tonight or is it possibly my TV taking a dump? I forgot to check OTA will update this.

Update: OTA is fine, TV is OK. It's an Adelphia problem? Anyone else??
Update 2: It's affecting my regular digital cable box too. Even on analog channels (below 100)

post #1014 of 9003 Old 10-06-2005, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm having severe pixelation on all channels via either my Moxi DVR or directly through the CableCard into my HDTV. This is on all channels analog or digital.
Is anyone else having issues tonight or is it possibly my TV taking a dump? I forgot to check OTA will update this.

No problems here in Orange County (Placentia).

-Dan
post #1015 of 9003 Old 10-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:

No problems this evening in North Redondo Beach (zip 90278).
post #1016 of 9003 Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Looks fine here in Yorba Linda

post #1017 of 9003 Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK lets concentrate on West LA. It looks like it may be local. Anyone from here?

post #1018 of 9003 Old 10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

This morning it was a totall outage, snow. At 8AM it's started to come back. Interestingly channels are mis-alligned. HSN is where FoxNC should be. Some might say that's an improvement!

post #1019 of 9003 Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:

This morning it was a totall outage, snow. At 8AM it's started to come back. Interestingly channels are mis-alligned. HSN is where FoxNC should be. Some might say that's an improvement!

We're seeing that here in Redondo Beach as well, so this problem seems to be wider spread than the earlier pixelation issue.
post #1020 of 9003 Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 AM

Same problems here in West Hollywood this morning. :-(
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page