Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

Hmm... I don't have a Moxi.

Perhaps they process the stream better than the Motorola. I guess I'll try and contact adelphia again and see how much it costs.

I use a 24" Dell FW2405 PC monitor that happens to come with a component connector. I can only imagine that the blocks would be larger on a bigger screen.

The Moxi is also made by Motorola, although the internal "Moxi" software is designed by digeo, and that, i believe, is who creates the digital video interface of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 9060 Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Folks,

I'm a newbie here and I currently have a moto SD STB in Redondo Beach. I'm soon to get the new Sceptre 42" LCD.

I heard that Adelphia and others have to offer HDTV to those who do not have a STB. Is this true and does Adelphia offer this ? If they do what would be the channels.

Cheers

Tiberius
post #1533 of 9060 Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post

Folks,

I'm a newbie here and I currently have a moto SD STB in Redondo Beach. I'm soon to get the new Sceptre 42" LCD.

I heard that Adelphia and others have to offer HDTV to those who do not have a STB. Is this true and does Adelphia offer this ? If they do what would be the channels.

Cheers

Tiberius

If you mean that they have to offer HD service without requiring the rent/purchase (depends on cable co., most, like Adelphia, do no allow purchasing) of a set top box, then you are correct. Adelphia, and other cable providers, offer what is called the CableCard. This is a card that is inserted into compatible TV's or select stand alone boxes (things like TiVo-although i don't believe current TiVo's offer this feature) and allows the device to decode the cable companies digital channels (i.e. channels above 100 and HD channels). The limitations are that with a CableCard you cannot receive the interactive program guide or the video on demand features offered by your cable company. I also own a Sceptre TV (30" LCD) and i checked on the 42" model and neither of the Sceptre 42" TV's support CableCard interface. They DO however have integrated QAM tuners, which means that if you buy an antenna, you can receive FREE over the air HDTV and DTV broadcasts, depending on what channels are available in your area. Usually the major networks.

If Adelphia offers UN-ECRYPTED HD programming in your area, then the QAM tuner integrated into the TV WILL allow you to receive those channels, but if their HD signals are encrypted, the only way you can view them is with either an HD set top or with a CableCard enabled TV/Device. Adelphia usually charges about $3/mo. or so for CableCard service.

HDTV availability depends on your service area. Where i am, in Camarillo, Adelphia offers us only the major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX), PBS, ESPN, HBO, and Showtime in HD. The selection is VERY limited, and as we don't subscribe to any of the movie channels and ESPN HD is also an extra, we only get the major networks and PBS, kind of a drag with two brand new HDTV's (30" LCD and 42" Plasma)
post #1534 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchee3 View Post

Anyone serviced by Adelphia in the Ventura County area know when Adelphia is planning to go completely digital and offer channels 1-70 (or so) in digital format for those of us with set top boxes (2 Moxis)? Would love to have the picture improvement. And also, anyone serviced in this area have any idea when more HD programming will be offered. Currently all that is available is CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, HBO, Showtime, and ESPN. Would love to have more HD available.

Hey Twitchee:

I'm over here in Santa Paula, I've had the new HD channels for about 2 weeks. All I did was go into my local branch during lunch, where you pay the bll and had the CR take off my $1.50 ESPN-HD channel and add on the new $5.00 HD package. Was on when I got home.

Everyone:

What do you guys think about most of the adelphia programing? I don't subscribe to the 100's-199's. I've been doing the ala cart 2 premium package, HBO & Stars....(though I had Show for a while when they were broadcasting "Masters of Horror". I switched back to stars.....now having seconds thought.....damm on-demands are extra....agh! Showtime HD has maybe 2 good movies a week.

Also, have the highspeed internet, serious thinkng about jumping back to verizon for $14.95 (6mo) vs. adelphia's $45+. But wife uses it for work, I enjoy the quicker download speed. I really think $45 to $50 is way too much! We definitly need more competition. Wish I had all HD channels +2 premiums , on-demand & high speed at $100 / mo tag or less. I could live w/ that. Seems like Adlephia and other cable companies trying to screw us. Come on..... $1.95 for for first set-top box and if we have (4) other tv's besides the first w/ cablecards.....they charge $4.95 after the first one for each one! BS!

Jonathan

jr.
post #1535 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 04:19 PM

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has run into the same problem w/ their Moxi. I have the Moxi connected to my plasma via a dvi->hdmi cable. It works well except for the fact that each time I turn my TV on, it takes some time before it will synch w/ the Moxi. The screen goes from blue screen to static to real picture and goes back and forth before finally "locking". After locking, this is never a problem during actual viewing/changing of channels, etc. Anyone have this happen and find a way around it?? Thanks!
post #1536 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apao View Post

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has run into the same problem w/ their Moxi. I have the Moxi connected to my plasma via a dvi->hdmi cable. It works well except for the fact that each time I turn my TV on, it takes some time before it will synch w/ the Moxi. The screen goes from blue screen to static to real picture and goes back and forth before finally "locking". After locking, this is never a problem during actual viewing/changing of channels, etc. Anyone have this happen and find a way around it?? Thanks!

We have 2 Moxis. How long is this "static" staying on your screen. I find that when switching between SD and HD channels, most TV's show static for a second or two when changing resolutions. This is most likely being caused by your TV and there is really no way to change settings on the Moxi to get rid of this, it's just the function of the TV.
post #1537 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Okay, I've done some research. I just bought a Firewire cable and captured the .ts streams to my computer and played them back with VLC player. The video looks great and is definitely not recompressed like I originally thought. The only possible explanation is that Motorola's video processor stinks.

Judging by the recommendations on this forum, it looks like I'll have to ask for the Moxi instead.
post #1538 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, I've done some research. I just bought a Firewire cable and captured the .ts streams to my computer and played them back with VLC player. The video looks great and is definitely not recompressed like I originally thought. The only possible explanation is that Motorola's video processor stinks.

Judging by the recommendations on this forum, it looks like I'll have to ask for the Moxi instead.

You will not be able to capture video from the Moxi to your computer. Firewire content is encrypted by digeo on this Model box.
post #1539 of 9060 Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Well,after a couple of months there is no more Discovery HD for us quam users.Adelphia has started to scramble this channel now-i guess they include it in the HD package and will only continue with broadcast channels on clear quam(that they HAVE to do).

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #1540 of 9060 Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:

You will not be able to capture video from the Moxi to your computer. Firewire content is encrypted by digeo on this Model box.

Not even the OTA channels?

I can only get the OTA channels from the Motorola box over firewire.
post #1541 of 9060 Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not even the OTA channels?

I can only get the OTA channels from the Motorola box over firewire.

Have not personally tried with the Moxi yet, will do that in a week or two, but have talked extensively with someone who has and he has informed me that the other Motorola series boxes (6400 series) IS capable of sending digital A/V to a computer, but that with the Moxi, a firewire connection to the computer will only allow the changing of channels and control of the panel via add on software. Motorola also manufactures the Moxi, but it is Digeo, creators of the Moxi software, that are in charge of content and A/V systems within the box. In other words, Digeo designed it, Motorola only constructs the actual hardware.

From what i have heard, even over the air channels cannot be recorded to a computer through the Moxi's firewire ports.
post #1542 of 9060 Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 PM

Does Adelphia offer Color Bars to adjust the color and brightness settings? Some cable providers offer a color bar feed at some point to run the adjustments.
post #1543 of 9060 Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump88 View Post

Does Adelphia offer Color Bars to adjust the color and brightness settings? Some cable providers offer a color bar feed at some point to run the adjustments.

You mean like a channel with a test screen?
If so, not to my knowledge.
post #1544 of 9060 Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump88 View Post

If you have HDNet, they run a test pattern program once a week. Get it on your Moxi or other PVR and you're set.
post #1545 of 9060 Old 04-10-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time Warner Sees Adelphia Deal on Track
By TSC Staff
4/10/2006 4:52 PM EDT
URL: http://www.thestreet.com/stocks/media/10278470.html

Time Warner (TWX:NYSE) said it expects its acquisition with Comcast (CMCSA:Nasdaq) of bankrupt cable operator Adelphia to close on schedule.

Adelphia agreed to the deal last April. The court overseeing the company's Chapter 11 case and regulators need to approve the $17.6 billion deal, which also involves a cable asset swap between Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

Time Warner Chairman Dick Parsons told CNBC Monday afternoon that there is a chance approval will fall into the third quarter, but he said he is confident the deal will meet its July 31 deadline.

Sources close to the large media company note that cable valuations are down since the time the agreement was negotiated, so any hang-ups aren't likely to draw in better bids.

As part of the swap, Time Warner will get Comcast's Dallas/Fort Worth cable system. Dallas is a popular satellite market with over 40% penetration. Time Warner Cable has strong cable subs in a number of other Texan cities, such as San Antonio, Waco and Austin. Entering the Dallas market would fit with Time Warner's so-called cluster strategy and allow it to sell triple-play services to more Texans.
post #1546 of 9060 Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Over in Comcast land, what I notice is that the Motorola boxes leave white "pixel boxes" in different spots on the screen, particularly when there's a fade-to-black (very commonly seen when a movie goes to credits). It's definitely a decoder issue, and not in the source MPEG. Been the same for every box since the 5100 through the 6412.
post #1547 of 9060 Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobX View Post

Over in Comcast land, what I notice is that the Motorola boxes leave white "pixel boxes" in different spots on the screen, particularly when there's a fade-to-black (very commonly seen when a movie goes to credits). It's definitely a decoder issue, and not in the source MPEG. Been the same for every box since the 5100 through the 6412.

I don't notice this at all with my Moxi, which is technically a Motorola STB, but is built quite differently as it was designed by Digeo.

By the way, i may just be missing it, but what does this exactly have to do with Southern California Adelphia HDTV service?
post #1548 of 9060 Old 04-11-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

'GET BIGGER OR GET OUT,' PARSONS SAYS

Bloomberg

April 11, 2006 -- Time Warner Inc., the world's largest media company, may get rid of smaller units to help fund an expansion of its main businesses, Chief Executive Officer Richard Parsons said.

Parsons, who will already reap more than $1.5 billion by selling a book-publishing unit and a stake in the AOL Web division, said he wants Time Warner's larger units to remain in the No. 1 or No. 2 spots in their respective industries.

"When you're a small player and the buzz is consolidating, you need to get bigger or get out," Parsons said in an interview at the cable industry's annual National Show in Atlanta yesterday.

"We have to keep performing, do some smart things around trimming the portfolio."

Parsons is looking to jettison more units after agreeing to cut costs by $1 billion to end a six-month battle with billionaire investor Carl Icahn.

At the same time, Parsons plans to consider acquisitions for the Time Warner Cable unit, the second-largest cable-television provider in the U.S., after integrating assets from Adelphia Communications Corp.

"I'm a one-step-at-a-time kind of guy," Parsons said. "Let's get the Adelphia deal done, folded in and operating properly."

The Adelphia transaction may close next quarter, rather than this quarter as planned, he said.

Adelphia, based in Greenwood Village, Colo., last week won court approval to file a plan to exit bankruptcy that would allow the proposed asset sale to Time Warner and Comcast Corp. before a July 31 deadline.

Shares of Time Warner, down 10 percent last year, rose 26 cents to $16.88 yesterday. The stock is down 3.2 percent this year.

The cable-TV unit, Time Warner's fastest-growing business for two straight years, is adding subscribers with packages of services, Parsons said at a separate panel yesterday. He said phone operators aren't ready to compete in the video market.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...ness/66778.htm
post #1549 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Associated Press/GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo.

APR. 12 11:16 A.M. ET Cable television provider Adelphia Communications Corp. said Wednesday it has modified a reorganization plan to try to resolve a dispute among some creditors that has delayed its exit from bankruptcy protection.

Under the terms of the compromise plan, creditors could accept the proposed settlement or vote for a plan to postpone the dispute for future settlement, which would allow Adelphia to finalize its acquisition by Time Warner Inc. and Comcast Corp., Adelphia Chief Executive Officer William Schleyer said.

Adelphia, the nation's fifth-largest cable television company, remained out of the disputes between creditors at the direction of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court but proposed the plan with court permission after some failed to agree to terms, Schleyer said.

"We continue to expect the transaction to close on schedule and look forward to the cooperation of all interested parties," he said in a statement. "To maximize the value of the Adelphia estate, it is essential that we complete the sale of the company's assets by July 31."

Comcast and Time Warner, the nation's two largest cable television companies, agreed last year to acquire Adelphia in a $17.6 billion cash-and-stock deal. The revised plan reflects a 4 percent overall reduction in the estimated value of the proposed acquisition, the company said.

The company filed for bankruptcy protection in 2002 after disclosing $2.3 billion in off-balance-sheet debt. Founder John Rigas and son Timothy have been sentenced to prison after being convicted for their roles in the company fraud. Another Rigas son, Michael, was sentenced in March to 10 months home confinement after pleading guilty to a charge of making a false entry in a company record.

Adelphia, based in this Denver suburb, has more than 5 million customers in 31 states and Puerto Rico.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan...e_down&chan=db
post #1550 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time Warner Plans to Offer Replay Service
From Bloomberg News
April 12, 2006

Time Warner Inc.'s cable television unit is developing a service that will allow viewers to replay TV shows after they have aired, heightening competition with digital video recorders from companies such as TiVo Inc.

Stamford, Conn.-based Time Warner, the second-largest U.S. cable company, may start its "Look Back" service next year, said Peter Stern, executive vice president of product management.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7679157.story
post #1551 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time Warner urges all TV networks to go on demand

By Kenneth Li and Yinka Adegoke Wed Apr 12, 4:09 AM ET

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc. Chief Operating Officer Jeffrey Bewkes said on Tuesday he thought all television networks should be put on its cable video-on-demand service to give viewers easier access.

The move, which would be free for viewers and supported by advertising, would be one way for the cable industry to compete against the Internet and new technologies, which have been siphoning TV viewers by offering instant gratification.

"Maybe I have a dream. We should take all the networks...a day, a week...and put it on video on demand for free," Bewkes said at a panel discussion at the annual cable show sponsored by the National Cable and Telecommunications Association.

Bewkes' idea would be to put entire programming schedules on demand, rather than offer specific shows only. He said this would be an ideal model to give viewers what they want, when they want it.

He urged the cable industry to do this by next year, but noted that licensing issues were a major hurdle. TV networks could find it difficult to obtain video on demand licenses and rights for programs they do not own, he said.

Bewkes called on the media industry to create new business models so that all parties involved would be compensated.

Because the video on demand service would be free for viewers and supported by advertising, it would be important for the networks to preserve the ads by not letting viewers fast forward through them.

In less ambitious ways, Time Warner Cable has been testing such ideas. It has disabled the ability to fast forward ads on its Start Over service, which lets viewers start shows from the beginning while they are airing.

By next year, Time Warner Cable plans to let viewers catch shows they miss from longer time periods in a feature call Look Back.

Comcast Corp. Chief Operating Officer Stephen Burke agreed to the idea of a comprehensive video on demand service.

"There's no question in my mind that if every network did that, it would be the right thing for the network," Burke said. "If Time Warner starts, other people will look at it."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060412/...imewarner_dc_3
post #1552 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know which of the two cable co.'s is going to take over for Adelphia in SoCal? I'm hoping we get Comcast.
post #1553 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Anyone know which of the two cable co.'s is going to take over for Adelphia in SoCal? I'm hoping we get Comcast.

I have heard it is Time Warner.
post #1554 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

I have heard it is Time Warner.

What a drag, i've heard much better things about Comcast, not that i've heard really anything GOOD about ANY cable co.
post #1555 of 9060 Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
TW gets the West, Comcast gets the East. Comcast in the West becomes TW too, I believe and TW in the East becomes Comcast. It's all so synergistic!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1556 of 9060 Old 04-18-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RCN Calls for Adelphia Conditions

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 4/17/2006 7:50:00 AM

Cable operator RCN has joined the chorus calling on the FCC to close the so-called terrestrial loophole.

Because of the way the program access rules are written, cable programmmers are only required to make their satellite-delivered programming available to other multichannel video providers, while landline-delivered services, such as many regional sports networks, are exempt from the access requirements.

In February, a group of 19 house members in a letter to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, called for bringing terrestrial delivered nets into the fold, specifically making that an FCC condition on approval of the Comcast/Time Warner deal to divvy up bankrupt cable operator Adelphia.

The FCC has been considering the deal for over six months, with no decision yet, likely due to a combination of the lack of a full complement of FCC commissioners and the timing of Adelphia's emergence from bankruptcy.

That call for closing the loophole was joined earlier this month by Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and committee member Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), who also sent a letter to Martin suggesting the FCC explore putting on such conditions, sighting concerns about Comcast withholding sports network programming from DBS competitors in Philadelphia and Time Warner in Charlotte, N.C.

Comcast's very public battle with Orioles owner Peter Angelos over rights to the Orioles and Washington Nationals, the subject of a House hearing two weeks ago, has also put the Hill spotlight on Comcast and sports programming.

RCN, in a letter last week to Martin, asked the FCC to condition the Adelphia deal on agreements by Comcast and Time Warner to make its landline-delivered nets available to competitors, again citing the sports network issue. In addition, RCN wants the two companies to disclose programming contracts at government request, and make program access disputes subject to arbitration, similar to a condition the FCC placed on the merger of News Corp. and Hughes' DirecTV, according to RCN.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News
post #1557 of 9060 Old 04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

I contacted Adelphia over the weekend to inquire about a few things and i thought i would share what the CSR explained to me. First of all i inquired about any new HD programming that Adelphia would be offering in the near future, and he explained to me that there is no information on any speicfic HD channels that will be added in the future, or dates of implementation, so basically new HD programming is far off in the future. So for now, those of us with HDTV's will be stuck with CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, ESPN (which is $1.50, but we think it's worth it), HBO (about $4 more for the whole HBO package if you have an advantagepack), and Showtime (can be added for the same price as HBO). In my opinion the HBO HD channel is not all that great compared to other HD programming we receive. It is broadcast in 1080i, but the quality isn't all that spectacular, and i'm betting they are using a computer to upscale the movies to HD resolutions, since most of thier movies and programs were not initially shot in HD. Because of this process, the movies are not "true HD" persay, but upscaled SD. To convert a movie shot in SD to HD, they must clean the entire film, then scan each frame into a computer with VERY HIGH DPI, and then put the frames together in a HD resolution. This has nothing to do with Adelphia, but rather how HBO delivers their "HD" content to the Adelphia head end for transmission. I understand why they are not implementing this process, but i just thought i would let everyone know it's not TRUE High Definition, but it still looks pretty darn good compared to SD. For comparison, it looks about the same as an SD DVD run through an upconverting DVD player through component, or HDMI/DVI. This is not welcome information, as we have 2 brand new HDTV's and would like to receive more HD programming. Adelphia here in SoCal offers a total of 8 channels in HD, and DISH Network offers well over 20 channels in HD, although some of it is slightly compressed "HD Lite" programming. I have heard the new DISH Vip 622 HD DVR is GREAT with a 350 GB hard drive and many unique features. Satellite is not a valid option for us however since we run more than DISH's maximum of 4 TV's per house, and we also rely on analog PCI TV Tuner cards for 3 of our PC computers to record analog programming for later viewing and editing.

Also, we have two of Adelphia's HD DVR Moxi STB's. We have a BMC 9012, and the newer BMC 9022D model (got this one in my room ) and for those of you who are familiar with the system, Digeo (creators of the Moxi system) offers a smaller "Moxi Mate" standard definition set top box which can be setup in any other room of the house. This "satellite" box can connect to the main Moxi (this is only compatible with the BMC 9022D model) through the house's pre-wired coaxial cable, so no additional installation is necessary. The Moxi Mate has access to all DVR recorded content, all guide data and digital channels available through the main box, as well as VOD (video on demand). It can also access and play DVD's/CD's from the main unit's built in media drive. The satellite unit has ALL the functionality of the main box, except HDTV. It can access HD channels and recordings, but they are downscaled for viewing on the SDTV. Now that the background is out of the way, the Adelphia CSR informed me that the order of Moxi Mates to Adelphia in SoCal has been postponed indefinately, so if we ever see these units, it will be quite a ways off in the future. This discourages me as Adelphia has these Moxi Mates implemented in many other markets throughout the country.

Overall, i still enjoy the features and functionality Adelphia offers, but they need to get their act together and start offering us the latest and greatest technology. I wonder how things will play out with new HD programming and the Moxi Mate once Time Warner Cable takes over. Perhaps they will offer us digital phone service, which i know they offer in many of their current markets.
post #1558 of 9060 Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:

So for now, those of us with HDTV's will be stuck with CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, ESPN (which is $1.50, but we think it's worth it), HBO (about $4 more for the whole HBO package if you have an advantagepack), and Showtime (can be added for the same price as HBO).

And:

DISC
ESPN-2
InHD
InHD2
HDNet
HDNetMovies
CMAX
post #1559 of 9060 Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSm0ker View Post

And:

DISC
ESPN-2
InHD
InHD2
HDNet
HDNetMovies
CMAX

These HD channels are not offered by Adelphia in SoCal. See for yourself: Adelphia SoCal HDTV
post #1560 of 9060 Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

These HD channels are not offered by Adelphia in SoCal. See for yourself: Adelphia SoCal HDTV

Funny, I am in Anaheim and I have everything that xSm0ker mentioned as well as what you mentioned twitchee, regardless of what is on the website.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page