post #181 of 9196 Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by htomei22
I'm new to this forum. so please excuse my ignorance, but my understanding is that the current Adelphia HDTV receivers do not offer DVI. I also understand that DVI will be offered with the DVR unit when that becomes available. Am I correct? If so, does the DVR eliminate the need for a HD receiver (i.e. is a HD tuner included in the DVR)?

Thanks

htomei

The Moto 6200 DOES have the DVI enabled. It is what I am using to connect the box to my Sony GWIII.

The DVR (Moto 6208) should also have DVi enabled, since it is nearly identical to the 6200. And yes, the DVR is combined with the HD/Digital receiver.

Perfectchris -
I agree that FOX isn't that big of a deal right now. I would have much rather have had WB for Smallville and Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPB, Bravo, etc The main reason I'm complaining about FOX is that Adelphia lists it on the web site.

I still can't believe they are raising the rates less than 6 months from the last increase. Once I get into a house, I'll be ditching cable. (yes I know I can get a dish in my condo, but the wiring would be a mess inside my unit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9196 Old 06-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Adelphia 6200 box has DVI enabled and I'm currently using it. My old 5100 had it too when I got the box back in March...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #183 of 9196 Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Valuepac
still have fox here in santa monica. Jason how often do you scan the channels? Wondering if hdnet's or INdemands are there but not mapped

I am now trying to scan the channels once a week due to the supposedly impending addition of ESPN-HD, inHD, etc (any year now). I will post to the forum if I find anything new of interest. What is odd is that I find quite a few random standard cable TV channels like: NickToons, Oxygen, TechTv, IFC, BBC America, National Geographic, and several others.

Unfortunately, during the scan, I get a lot stations that are stored to memory, but when tuned to, they say something like "This channel is scrambled....". Makes the process much more painful to do than if they weren't there. Kinda makes me wonder if all the stations are actually found, but some are scrambled for some reason. I remember reading in some Adelphia documentation that if you supply your own cable box, that Adelphia needs to supply an access card. I wonder if the same would apply for this tuner?

Jason

post #184 of 9196 Old 06-03-2004, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

moeronn and pg_rider:

Thanks for the info. Now the tough part - do I sign up now and use the 6200 or do I wait for the 6208? Decisions, decisions..........

htomei

but I digress......
post #185 of 9196 Old 06-03-2004, 12:38 PM

So its june 3rd and no Inhd or espn =(
post #186 of 9196 Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 PM

BTW im thinking about gettng voom now.Spent 3,000.00+ on a tv and to only get couple of channels of HD is not worth it in my opinion
post #187 of 9196 Old 06-03-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I asked INHD: "When might we see your networks in Los Angeles on Adelphia?"

This was the reply from INHD.COM:

While it seems likely that your system will carry INHD soon, it is difficult for us to know exactly when INHD will launch with your particular in home television provider. Typically, your in home television provider will have the most current information. Even once INHD reaches a deal with a particular provider, it may take additional time for a provider to begin airing INHD. Delivering high definition television to the home is a challenging endeavor for all parties given the new equipment and bandwidth requirements involved.
post #188 of 9196 Old 06-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by htomei22
moeronn and pg_rider:

Thanks for the info. Now the tough part - do I sign up now and use the 6200 or do I wait for the 6208? Decisions, decisions..........

htomei

If you have an HD capable TV/Monitor without an HD receiver, I would just get the 6200 now. Who knows how long it will be before Adelphia actually launches the 6208. When they do, just have them swap out the box. There shouldn't be any installation charges for either box.

Have they started allowing DIY kits yet? That would be better than having to schedule an install.
post #189 of 9196 Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by moeronn
If you have an HD capable TV/Monitor without an HD receiver, I would just get the 6200 now. Who knows how long it will be before Adelphia actually launches the 6208. When they do, just have them swap out the box. There shouldn't be any installation charges for either box.

Have they started allowing DIY kits yet? That would be better than having to schedule an install.

Took your advice and ordered it yesterday. No install charges and it's to be installed (no DIY) this coming Wednesday. I'll post my impressions of picture quality on my IF 7200/Stewart Firehawk (120" x 67.5") combo.

htomei

but I digress......
post #190 of 9196 Old 06-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Are they going to use the 6208 or the 6408? I would prefer the dual tuner 6408.
post #191 of 9196 Old 06-06-2004, 10:30 AM

Looks like 6208 or the moxi 9000 unit. Lets all hope they go with the moxi
post #192 of 9196 Old 06-08-2004, 12:16 PM

This has been (briefly) touched on earlier, but was wondereing if there were any updates. Is anyone using an unscrambled QAM tuner (either built-in or STB) with Adelphia SoCal? What channels are you able to get? An earlier poster gave a list back in March, any changes? Also, Adelphia gave you the impression that this was illegal? My understanding is that Adelphia must provide unscrambled QAM locals on the limited basic plan (i.e. not digital tier, only el cheapo plan). Is anyone using it this way?

-Sketchy
post #193 of 9196 Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM

When I signed up for the waiting list on the Adelphia web site they gave me a phone # to call for more info about the DVR's. They lady that I talked with was taking classes on the DVR's and was very informative.

I asked if the DVR's would have dual tuners and she said yes. I then asked if they were using the 6408 (which has 2 tuners) and she said that she was not familiar with that model # and that she was being trained on the BMC9000. I went to the Motorola site and found out that this is a Moxi model #.

So from this info I would assume that they are using the Moxi based DVR's.

octavian
post #194 of 9196 Old 06-08-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you do a search in this forum using "Moxi" there is a Jan. '04 relevant post.

"Adelphia Plans to Roll Out Moxi Media Boxes in LA"
post #195 of 9196 Old 06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sketchy9
This has been (briefly) touched on earlier, but was wondereing if there were any updates. Is anyone using an unscrambled QAM tuner (either built-in or STB) with Adelphia SoCal? What channels are you able to get? An earlier poster gave a list back in March, any changes? Also, Adelphia gave you the impression that this was illegal? My understanding is that Adelphia must provide unscrambled QAM locals on the limited basic plan (i.e. not digital tier, only el cheapo plan). Is anyone using it this way?

-Sketchy

I originally posted my findings back in March with the QAM tuner. Since then I have done some more surveys and found some things that changed around. Right now I am away on business and can't do a full survey with channel numbers, but I know I found the following:
Digital ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS
National Geographic
Oxygen
Discovery Home
ESPN News
Some sort of OnDemand preview that only filled a 1/4 of the screen
2 different InDemand PPV preview channels

I am successfully using that tuner with Adelphia, but only on a limited basis, i.e. to check for new channels. As I posted before, I found Fox at least a week before the box was enabled to actually receive it. Adelphia didn't really give me the impression that it was illegal, but they didn't believe it should work, and that if it did I should not complain if it disappeared. Basically, it seemed like they were treating it as an unsupported way to receive the stations. At the time I was only able to get ABC I believe and none of the other digital broadcast channels. As such, I got an HD box from them, therefore, I don't know how they could say I was doing anything wrong since I'm paying them for a box I technically don't even need (I don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime). As for other legal issues, I don't know what they are required to provide as unscrambled QAM, but it would appear that for the time being, they are providing the digital broadcast channels in the clear. In addition, Adelphia clearly states that they are not charging for the HD stations. The additional 9.95 a month is for the box, which you could supply yourself if your bought one, thereby avoiding the fee.

I hope to post a full survey this weekend, complete with channel numbers.

Jason

post #196 of 9196 Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Jason. As posted by DoubleDaz in the HDTV Hardware section (sorry I can't post a link, but the thread title is "CableCard and Cable vs. Satellite"):

"One rules says they cannot make you get any tier higher than their basic non-digital tier to get local channels, including those in HD. Cox Cable here in Phoenix is still saying they cannot turn off other digital channels if they give you a digital/HD box, so they are still making folks get a digital tier. This appears to be illegal, though they say they are working on a solution.

Another rule says they have to pass EAS (Emergency Alert System) data. As I understand it, the local station is supposed to be responsible for EAS, but many digital stations are not yet ready to do so, so cable is left holding the bag or they get fined. Cable appears to have to encrypt the channel in order to do the EAS, though I have no idea why this is so. At any rate, as digital stations get online to pass EAS, cable is no longer responsible and they are unencrypting the channels."

So apparently digital locals don't need to be unencrypted, but they need to be available on the basic cable package. If the EAS is functioning properly, then it sounds like cablecos just go ahead and unencrypt the digital locals. It's good to hear that Adelphia passes unencryped digital locals, I'm presuming this means that the EAS issue is sorted out here. In which case it baffles me why Adelphia would ever consider re-encrypting digital locals--hopefully they never will.

-Sketchy
post #197 of 9196 Old 06-10-2004, 05:30 AM

Well Channel 711 in Arcadia is now coming in!

Too bad there's no HDTV things on FOX

Stephen
post #198 of 9196 Old 06-10-2004, 05:41 AM

Well I guess I have to take it all back. KTTV-DT is finally working here in Sierra Madre.
post #199 of 9196 Old 06-10-2004, 06:27 PM

now if we only get the other 7 channels we are missing!
post #200 of 9196 Old 06-10-2004, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Still no Fox or anything else new here.
post #201 of 9196 Old 06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
bwb

Still no Fox here in Fullerton either.

bwb
post #202 of 9196 Old 06-11-2004, 02:07 PM

adelphia should dump all the analog channels. Then we would have plenty of bandwidth for HD. At the very least we have both HBOP and MaxP on analog, lets get rid of those and open the space for 2-3 HD channels
post #203 of 9196 Old 06-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Attched is my survey of the channels available using my built in Digital Cable tuner in Yorba Linda as promised. The file is a zipped Excel spreadsheet. There is currently a custom filter on the channel name column. When I do the search I get a lot of channels that either say that the channel is scrambled or the channel no longer exists (odd since it picked it up in the autoscan 10 minutes before). The custom filter leaves just the stations that actually come in. All in all, the tuner "finds" 294 stations, but only 25 actually come in (including all the digitals which are highlighted). You can see from the number of channels I have to go thru why I don't do this more often.

Jason

adelphia_6_11_04_yl.zip 5.6064453125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip adelphia_6_11_04_yl.zip (5.6 KB, 1 views)

post #204 of 9196 Old 06-12-2004, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info Jason. I'm moving to an Adelphia area and I'm not sure if OTA will work--- but I hate the idea of paying too much for cable. Hopefully a QAM tuner will work for me.

-Sketchy
post #205 of 9196 Old 06-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Valuepac
adelphia should dump all the analog channels. Then we would have plenty of bandwidth for HD. At the very least we have both HBOP and MaxP on analog, lets get rid of those and open the space for 2-3 HD channels

I think they are already starting to do this. They took both HBO and SHO out of the Seal Beach analog line-up - but I'm actually pissed about that. That means I can only record HBO on one of my ReplayTVs, since I only have (want) one cable box and I can't watch HBO in the bedroom. I'd much rather get rid of all the home shopping, religion and foreign language channels that I don't watch. I'm not sure if having channels a la carte would help things, but I'd still rather have/pay for only the channels I want!!
post #206 of 9196 Old 06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I saw in the LA Times today Adelphia is hiring a firm to help them find buyers for the company. Maybe this is why they are not rolling anything new out. ???

Jim
post #207 of 9196 Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Jim - I don't think that's the issue. Here in NH, A* added HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN-HD, InHD1 and InHD2 in mid-May...well after their announcement of a possible sale. I'm guessing it's more of an equipment/infrastructure issue in SoCal. FYI, here's a post with our HD tier for comparison:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post3812872
post #208 of 9196 Old 06-16-2004, 07:46 AM

I agree im suppose to be getting my HD DVR (moto 6208) this afternoon for beta test. I really rather have the moxi (2 tuners better interface, larger HD, but hey to record HD who complaining.. its a good start!
post #209 of 9196 Old 06-16-2004, 05:07 PM

Well i finally have the HD DVR.. Being a tivo user, use to pausing live tv, it so nice to finally be able to pause hdtv. From using it i can already tell in notime i will have the small 80gig harddrive filled. Wonder if there away to hack it and add storage? Regardless it nice to have the functionality of dvr finally!
post #210 of 9196 Old 06-17-2004, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Valuepac,

Very cool. Are you using dvi for your connection, and if so, are you having any of the dreaded Motorola 6200 HDCP 'handshake' problems?

Any idea when the 6208 will be made available to those of us not lucky enough to be beta testers??

htomei

but I digress......
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page