post #2701 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs471 View Post

is anyone able to fast forward NBC hd. My Moxi is still telling me this operation is unavailable.

I'll repeat what someone else mentioned: If you have this problem, try starting a recording of the show and watch it from the recording. Apparently that fixes the problem. I don't know because I haven't had the problem, but this sounds like a reasonable solution.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, since they switched the channel lineup today, the guide for G4 shows the wrong times for shows. It shows the east coast time. This means I can't record anything on this channel (for me, that means ST:TNG) -- at least, not easily.

Boy, TW is doing such a great job. I can't wait to see what else the f**k up.

-Dan
post #2703 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post

I upgraded to a Motorola 6416 from a Moxi. A feature that I miss is how the Moxi would rewind 10 or 15 seconds once you stop "Fast Forwarding". This is nice because generally you are several seconds into the program by the time you hit Play. Is there a way to turn this feature on, on my Motorola 6416?

The only semi-equivalent is to use the "up arrow" button (above the OK/Select button) to resume playing from FF mode, instead of using the actual "play" button (up near the top of the remote).

Using "up arrow" will backup up about 3-4 seconds or so from the instant you push it. Not the 10-15 seconds of backup you were looking for, but it's pretty good and provides a smaller replay so that you don't have to sit through too much of the tail-end of a commercial.

Of course if this 3-4 seconds is not enough and you really do want to actually back up 15 seconds, just press the "15-second rewind" button at that point. There are actually two of them: (1) the true 15-second rewind button (counter-clockwise curlicue), or (2) "page down" button (not documented, but it works just like the other button and on my silver remote is in a much more user-friendly ergonomically pleasing location).
post #2704 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 PM

I am also unable to fast farward NBC. The problem seemed to have started on Monday. I'm in Redondo Beach 90277. I hope this isnt a sign of things to come.
post #2705 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:

is anyone able to fast forward NBC hd. My Moxi is still telling me this operation is unavailable.

I still have this problem on my moxi in eagle rock. wish TW would fix this already.... its been a week now....

Its only on NBCHD both recorded shows and live.
post #2706 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriv16 View Post

Brian, It seems that the are using the following settings in the former adelphia:
Kcbs hd eia 93 mpeg 501
knbc hd 93 502
kabc hd 94 504
kttv hd 94 505
fsn hd 100 507
kcet hd 94 506
ktla hd 62 3
See how that works out for you. I am using our setting but these frequencies should work in your area. Everything else in HD is encrypted, so your QAM tuner wont be able to see these other channels.

Thanks for the info but these are not working in my area.
NBC is 93.501 and 93.502
ABC is 94.504
I can't tune to any of the other channels. There is no signal when I try to tune to them using those EIA/Mpeg. Maybe they are off the air and these are part of an outage in my area to go along with the channel reallignment.
Bryan
post #2707 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 PM

so has anyone been able to get time warner off their worthless asses to get channel 413 to correctly show up as HD SPECIAL EVENTS, and not this stupid HD PPV crap. Thats two lakers games missed in HD now, I had to sit through the KTLA-HD feed, and let me tell you I won't take another second of Mr. "BINGO!!!!" LAWLER for one more second.
post #2708 of 9038 Old 11-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilanne View Post

so has anyone been able to get time warner off their worthless asses to get channel 413 to correctly show up as HD SPECIAL EVENTS, and not this stupid HD PPV crap. Thats two lakers games missed in HD now, I had to sit through the KTLA-HD feed, and let me tell you I won't take another second of Mr. "BINGO!!!!" LAWLER for one more second.

Here in North Redondo Beach (zip 90278), the Lakers game was indeed shown in HD on 413 (FSN-HD). This was extra cool for me since I had only enrolled in the HD Tier a few hours before game time.
post #2709 of 9038 Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalara View Post

I am also unable to fast farward NBC. The problem seemed to have started on Monday. I'm in Redondo Beach 90277.

Just to weigh in with another experience...

Here in Marina Del Rey (90292) in a former Comcast area, my 6412-II has no problem whatsoever fast forwarding NBCHD on either live or recorded content. Situation totally normal.
post #2710 of 9038 Old 11-22-2006, 11:08 AM

TimeWarner customer service is refusing to give out the channel numbers. They finally agreed to transfer us to someone in the Technical dept. Chris, no last name said that all HD programming is now encrypted and they pass nothing through and if we want the programming we need to get the digital tier and their set top box. When asked point blank about broadcast only HD channels he said those have to be paid for. Since we are not getting anywhere with TWC we called the Brea Franchise Tax Board. They will pass our complaint along to the office of the president of TWC. Hopefully this will get things resolved.
Bryan
post #2711 of 9038 Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Just to weigh in with another experience...

Here in Marina Del Rey (90292) in a former Comcast area, my 6412-II has no problem whatsoever fast forwarding NBCHD on either live or recorded content. Situation totally normal.

My Moxi is handling NBCHD well once again. It has been broken since Friday but is OK as of Wednesday AM.
post #2712 of 9038 Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Well isn't that just great for you. I guess TWC seems to like to screw over only a certain part of their consumer's and pretend like problems don't freaking exist. I swear this company is pathetic.
post #2713 of 9038 Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time Warner Cable sued
By James S. Granelli, Times Staff Writer
November 23, 2006

Former Comcast and Adelphia customers sued Time Warner Cable Inc. on Wednesday, alleging disruptions and other problems when their cable TV and Internet services were converted to Time Warner's network.

The suit comes as Time Warner works to move 1.6 million customers to its system.

"This widespread disruption made a mockery of [Time Warner's] promises that these cable services would not be interrupted as a result of the migration," the suit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court alleges. The plaintiffs are seeking class-action status.

Time Warner said it had not read the allegations and could not comment.

Dozens of customers have told The Times about problems with Internet and TV interruptions and blocked e-mail service. Some assert that Time Warner reduced the number of cable channels as a ploy to force customers to upgrade to digital service.

In July, Time Warner and Comcast Corp. bought Adelphia Communications Corp. and traded territories to give each bigger shares of major markets. Time Warner ended up with 1.9 million Southland customers.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5851012.story
post #2714 of 9038 Old 11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

so who's ready to start calling TW about the NFL network? I figure their lines will be flooded when all the clueless sheep out there realize that they can't see the KC-Denver game, and i'm sure TW has a full support staff working on thanksgiving...
post #2715 of 9038 Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankeithg View Post

TimeWarner customer service is refusing to give out the channel numbers. They finally agreed to transfer us to someone in the Technical dept. Chris, no last name said that all HD programming is now encrypted and they pass nothing through and if we want the programming we need to get the digital tier and their set top box. When asked point blank about broadcast only HD channels he said those have to be paid for. Since we are not getting anywhere with TWC we called the Brea Franchise Tax Board. They will pass our complaint along to the office of the president of TWC. Hopefully this will get things resolved.
Bryan

Finally got a call from a person that handles complaints that go to the office of the presidnet last night. He said yes I am supposed to get HD off air channels in the clear but said he would have to check into what the channels are. He made a call to the headend but no one was there that could answer the channel question. They assured him the off air HD channels are not encrypted and in the clear. He will get back to me on Friday with the channel numbers. Glad they are working on it, but the family over is not happy watching the games today in standard def.
Bryan
post #2716 of 9038 Old 11-23-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I'm in the Sherman Oaks-Van Nuys area of the San Fernnando valley and my Moxi is behaving itself again. No problem with the Medium recording from last night or live TV. New recordings are fine but recordings say from Mon. night have the FF problem. If you have this problem say on Friday try e-mailing TWC.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #2717 of 9038 Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I went over to my girlfriend's parent's house last night for Thanksgiving in Cerritos. Oddly, they are serviced by a small cable op called Wave Broadband. Wave still contains NFL Network and NFL HD. However, her dad still couldn't watch the game. Eventhough the channel was there, apparently they have an agreement to carry the channel without showing any of the live NFL games. (see here ) If you think TWC customers are mad, at least it was quite obvious that we wouldn't see the games on Thanksgiving. For him, he tuned to the channel and saw a banner across the screen saying that the cable operator had chosen not to show the live games.

I wonder if TWC considered that as an option. I know it wouldn't help at all because you'd still miss the NFL games, but you wouldn't miss the few college bowl games and the European NFL stuf...

post #2718 of 9038 Old 11-24-2006, 09:05 PM

Hi,
I was at Ken Crane's in Encino this week. I was told that since I get cable via TimesWarner, I will not be able to receive 1080 P, the highest quality would be 1080i.

Is this true? I live in Santa Clarita.

Thanks

Mogur2
post #2719 of 9038 Old 11-24-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogur2 View Post

Hi,
I was at Ken Crane's in Encino this week. I was told that since I get cable via TimesWarner, I will not be able to receive 1080 P, the highest quality would be 1080i.

Is this true? I live in Santa Clarita.

Thanks

no cable system currently offers 1080p, some 1080i can be converted back to the progressive signal but that is getting more technical.
post #2720 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogur2 View Post

Hi,
I was at Ken Crane's in Encino this week. I was told that since I get cable via TimesWarner, I will not be able to receive 1080 P, the highest quality would be 1080i.Is this true? I live in Santa Clarita.

There is NO broadcast source carrier of any kind (OTA, satellite, or cable) for 1080p content.

In fact, no network broadcasts digital content in higher than 1080i resolution. Some are 720p, the rest are 1080i. This is true regardless of whether the carrier for that content is a channel on OTA, satellite or cable. 720p and 1080i are the two HD resolutions available today, from any broadcast source.

No matter where you live, and no matter how you get your broadcast HDTV (OTA, satellite, or cable), you can get no better than 1080i today. You are not being victimized because you live in Santa Clarita nor because you're on TWC.

The only true 1080p source devices available today are not in the broadcast world, but are the HD-DVD and BluRay HD players. And they will only deliver 1080p from the newest high definition DVDs (not from the old ED 480p DVDs), and then only through an HDMI connection to the newest HDTVs which support 1080p INPUT. If the HDTV cannot accept 1080p INPUT via HDMI, these new HD DVD players must be set to deliver 1080i to the HDTV.
post #2721 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 AM

So here is the deal. Since the channel reallignment in Brea on Th the 16th. We can't find all the HD broadcast content. After speaking with some reps from the office of the president they got me the channels numbers. The only problem is that the content for the channels is not where it is supposed to be.

According to TWC this is what they say they are broadcasting.
CBS 93-501
NBC 93-502
ABC 94-504
FOX 94-505
PBS 94-506

However what my Mits QAM Tuner finds after a complete channel scan on HRC (nothing) and IRC is this. Have done two scans.

NBC 93-501
NBC 93-502
ABC 94-504
ABC 94-505
ABC 94-506

Before the channel reallignment we found the channels with the correct content. The TWC rep said he would take the feedback to his techs and suspected there is something to learn from my situation.

Any suggestions? Don't want to miss another weekend of football in HD.

Bryan
post #2722 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any suggestions? Don't want to miss another weekend of football in HD.

Are you too far behind the hills to get OTA reception there in Brea? I know I was when I was in Yorba Linda, but now that I am in AH, I can get OTA reception which would get you everything you need except ESPN/ESPN2. I have a cheapo RCA inside antenna. This of course assumes you have an internal HD tuner like my Mits has (55-511).

post #2723 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

Are you too far behind the hills to get OTA reception there in Brea? I know I was when I was in Yorba Linda, but now that I am in AH, I can get OTA reception which would get you everything you need except ESPN/ESPN2. I have a cheapo RCA inside antenna. This of course assumes you have an internal HD tuner like my Mits has (55-511).

Unfortunately I back right up to a hill in Brea. Can't get any LA stations. I put a monster antenna on the roof. I have it pointed at San Diego and get CBS and ABC but not reliably. I have that antenna feed going to my Media Center HTPC. I used to live in an area where I could get every station solid. Not since we moved to Brea. Joked with the wife that we will need to check the antenna signal before we move again.
post #2724 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Joked with the wife that we will need to check the antenna signal before we move again.

You joke, but I did it. When I bought my house, I temporarily bought a portable TV to check for analog reception outside. Then I bought the antenna I thought I'd be using to check for reception using the TV the prior owners still had in the house for display purposes to check for indoor reception. As a final check, I checked antwennaweb.org. I got really fed up of not having OTA reception in YL.

post #2725 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 11:18 AM

Experimenting with QAM channels for first time on my new Panny plasma that has builtin QAM tuner. Has anyone posted a list of what's broadcast, in LA-Ventura, on each QAM channel? Of course, I could just walk through each multi-decimal-place number and jot down notes, but an already-existing list would be simpler. In particular, I'm trying to find out if there's any QAM-channel versions of things like ESPN, CNN, Bravo, TBS, TNT etc. If this list is already up on another thread, please direct me, thanks.
post #2726 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthsong View Post

Experimenting with QAM channels for first time on my new Panny plasma that has builtin QAM tuner. Has anyone posted a list of what's broadcast, in LA-Ventura, on each QAM channel? Of course, I could just walk through each multi-decimal-place number and jot down notes, but an already-existing list would be simpler. In particular, I'm trying to find out if there's any QAM-channel versions of things like ESPN, CNN, Bravo, TBS, TNT etc. If this list is already up on another thread, please direct me, thanks.

I'm seeing nothing in Moorpark on QAM via my HDTV card other than CBS2/ABC7/NBC4/FOX11/KCET. If you see anything else, I'd like to know!
post #2727 of 9038 Old 11-25-2006, 06:15 PM

No Mad Mac, I don't see anymore than you do.
I didn't even know about QAM til another forum dude mentioned I could get a lot of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts within the QAM tuner section. Sounded great, went thru every QAM multi-decimal-place channel from 79.1 to 124.9, essentially found very little.

A bunch of "music Choice" stations, a few random simulcasts of ABC and ESPN, and nothing I wasn't already receiving in the channels below 36. All the channels from 37 - 99, like MTV, CNN, ESPN, TMC, TBS, Bravo, etc. are all encrypted and not available thru QAM, so the whole thing of your built-in QAM tuner being a viable substitute for a cable set-top-box, to the point where you could eliminate the STB completely, is ludicrous. Unless all you want is 5 or 6 major networks in HD feed. Or unless I'm missing something...
post #2728 of 9038 Old 11-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Is TWC 100% digital yet? If they aren't , what channels are digital and or when are they deciding to do this? It seems like anything that is not HD, looks horrible, which leads me to think the channels are analog. The picture is slightly blurry with some ghosting. I have have a 1080p set and it is calibrated. I have the moxi , connecting it to the tv via hdmi. I have my resolutions on the moxi set to 720p and 1080i.
post #2729 of 9038 Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Is TWC 100% digital yet? If they aren't , what channels are digital and or when are they deciding to do this? It seems like anything that is not HD, looks horrible, which leads me to think the channels are analog. The picture is slightly blurry with some ghosting. I have have a 1080p set and it is calibrated. I have the moxi , connecting it to the tv via hdmi. I have my resolutions on the moxi set to 720p and 1080i.

When I allowed the Moxi to up-convert 480i, it resulted in a blurry picture. This leads me to believe that to get the best picture for 480i, you should let your TV do the upconversion. Unfortunately, I think this means you can't use the HDMI cable when viewing SD content.

Try it yourself by hooking up component cables and viewing an SD program with 480i enabled on your Moxi. Then disable it, and compare the results.

-Dan
post #2730 of 9038 Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Hi,
I live in Santa Clarita. The new lineup has many analog channels duplicated in the digital area, 101 to 399. On my Sony 36" HD I don't see any difference.

HD channels are in the 400s. I see a new channel, 413, but nothing is showing up yet.

My main gripe is that many shows, both live and recorded, have digital artifacts and sound blocks.

I tried this past week to call their support lines. What an exercise in frustration. 5 minutes hearing their sales pitch only to be told they were too busy, then cut off. One time I was on hold for about 25 minutes when another came in, so I had to hang up. I thought Comcast had only fair service. So far TW is poor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Mogur2
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page