post #271 of 14360 Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by voyager6
I have been seeing a lot of unusual Tropo interference in the last week, but the problems receiving WXIX-DT have been pretty consistant.
Greg

Sounds like your and Paul's WXIX-DT reception problem is due to their problems ... once you get out probably 45-50 miles from Cincinnati(or have serious terrain issues, or are using indoor antennas/etc), power is probably going to be more of an issue in many circumstances, and especially so on UHF. WRGT-DT being right next door probably doesn't help Dayton folks out either, since your receiver has to be a little more selective to be able to tune in the weaker, adjacent channel signal. Speaking of WRGT-DT, surely would be nice if they'd do Fox widescreen, it's nice to have a "backup" station ...

Anyhow, FCC Info shows WXIX-DT licensed at 229KW ERP, So at 25%(depending upon how they are figuring that), they're probably running something like 50~60KW ERP ... Forward Power that is, I'm afraid to ask how much is being reflected through their antenna/feedline system .... If they are going to be running low power for any appreciable amount of time, they would likely need to file for a STA, which should hopefully show up in FCC CDBS database ....

I do see WKSO 29, Somerset, KY quite often(In same direction as wxix) when WXIX-DT is down, though.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I have antenna envy, Jeff.

Noticed WCPO-DT left that flood watch bug up until kickoff of the Sugar Bowl (WDTN was in HD from the get-go) and only went back to it sparingly. Other times during the day, they had it up constantly. Either they're getting calls or they're becoming just plain "aware."

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #273 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Was about to call WCPO when I came back with the number, it had already switched. WXIX-DT is coming in good up here in West Chester, however I don't have a signal meter on my Mits, it's either there or its not. Any news on UPN 25? Doc, have you heard anything from WB64 about going HD? I have written them, but never received a response, email nor snail mail. Hope that everyone had a good holiday season and had good HD viewing.

GO PACKERS!!!

Alex
post #274 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

John Horne is the WB64 guy to write about it: jhorne@wstr.sbgnet.com You can mention me (and B-105) when you do. He asked me to pass along his e-mail address to other HDTV users. Wouldn't mention AVS, however. Baby steps. He's the one I met with befor Thanksgiving who said I was the only HD owner he'd EVER met. And that station researched showed the number of HD viewers in Cincinnati to be "in the single digits."

As for WBQC, it's still on the list to swap places with co-owned WOTH. Even still, without a digital channel, it's doubtful we'll see any UPN HD for a very long time.

Doc

post #275 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM

Well I just wrote Mr. Horne and told him about opportunities in both OTA and cable, where cable does have the majority of the market. People get the HD boxes even if they don't have an HD television. I also read on UPN 25's website that they're expanding programing on WOTH-38, that can be either good or bad, maybe a possible switch of UPN programing. They could also just go digital and feed that to the cable systems, since their analog is impossible to receive for most people.

Alex
post #276 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just emailed Mr. Horne as well. I'd really like to see Smallville in HD. I wonder why WBQC couldn't use a sub-channel on WCPO-DT for HD since they have there antenna on WCPOs tower. This could be a temporary solution for them until they convert to digital.

-----------
Robert
post #277 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Bite your tongue! We don't need any more bandwidth-sucking subchannels from the commercial broadcasters than we already have .

As for UPN on WCPO-DT, being competitors, that isn't likely to happen. Tower sharing is one thing, but helping enhance a competitor's programming is another. It would be MORE likely to happen on WKRC since UPN and CBS are co-owned. But Clear Channel owns WKRC, so it's once agian doubtful. Just have to wait to see if the FCC will give WBQC a digital channel. OTOH, with such little coverage area, anyway, it wouldn't hurt them to switch to digital anytime. Must carry rules and deals would still keep their signal on cable and satellite which is where most of their audience gets them, anyway.

Doc

post #278 of 14360 Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by William Smith
The Sat Receiver we use for KET4 is dying, (This makes two in three days) it will have to wait until Monday as we are on overtime restriction.. Sorry for the inconvenience.. but...not much I can do from here..

William

Its fixed again (Now on receiver number 3)

William
post #279 of 14360 Old 01-06-2004, 03:33 AM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
I don't know how I missed this, but back on December 5th on the WBQC web site a person logged in as "UPN" stated simply "the move is on hold". That's it. No explanation, info, etc. Nothing since.

Clarke
post #280 of 14360 Old 01-06-2004, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WXIX-DT is down again..I was wanting to see 24 in widescreen tonight

-----------
Robert
post #281 of 14360 Old 01-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

513-421-0119. At least they'll know you're out there. My voice they recognize.

post #282 of 14360 Old 01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Question for those of you getting HD from TWC in the Cinti area: has anyone upgraded their box to the new Pioneer 3150HD (from the SA 3100)? I was told that I can just take my old SA 3100 box into the Tri-County store and do a swap. Before I disconnect everything, I just wanted to get your opinion on the differences.

A couple of advantages I'm interested in: ability to use Channel Guide while viewing HD content, and receipt of 'native' picture quality (i.e., 720p, 1080i, etc.) rather than automatic upconversion of everything to 1080i.

Any comments are appreciated!

Brad
post #283 of 14360 Old 01-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Blindamood,

Do a search of this forum for posts by cmf. He has the 3150HD and has posted about it in previous Cincinnati HDTV threads.

Although he could not get the DVI output to work (a well documented problem over in the HDTV Hardware forum) he still reported superior PQ to the SA box over component. I believe you can set the output resolution but I have no hands on experience with the Pioneer.

I believe you can do the swap out as you described but I'd call them first to make sure they have the Pioneer box at the Tri-County office.
post #284 of 14360 Old 01-07-2004, 12:04 PM
cmf

Blindamood: What gerhard911 says is true. I have it and am quite happy even without the DVI output being functional. The component output gives me a lot of flexibility and the better HD stations look gorgeous. My set is a 720p TV, and it does scaling better than the box, so I have the 3150 just send out whatever it gets in. Works fine. I *have* recently been having audio problems, though -- sometimes, the sound will start to go in and out and then it will just go out and stay out until I change channels. Not a major issue, but a little annoying. Still better than the Scientific Atlanta POS.
post #285 of 14360 Old 01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I have DVI, but intend to stick with component for the time being, primarily because I'm switching with my receiver (dvd / hd). I'll definitely give them a call before I head over...

Brad
post #286 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 03:48 AM

I'm using the Pioneer box as well and I like it pretty well. I'm also having some of the audio issues that cmf mentions, but it hasn't really been troublesome enough for me to call them about. I had the Atlantic Scientific box first, but just took it to the Tri-County office and they swapped it out for me. Definitely call them first though to make sure that they have one available. I happened to grab the last one at the time when I stopped in.

I haven't tried using the DVI outputs so I can't comment on that other than the lady at the Tri-County office told me that the DVI ports are activated on the box.

I can also confirm the ability to use channel guide while watching HD content.
post #287 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Got my 3510HD last night -- no problems! Hooked it up and all seems to be working well, including the channel guide. I don't notice much of a video difference on the HD channels, but the SD channels do look noticeably better. Also, I believe the sound quality is improved on most channels (including no drop-outs, as I used to get frequently on the major networks using the SA 3100).

Brad
post #288 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 09:21 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned that HDNet and INHD (at least on mine, after getting the "subscription" notice) is coming in as of last night. Maybe a free trial, maybe a switching mistake. Does anyone else get it?
post #289 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

WXIX-DT appears to be on the air, again. Well, they ARE. But I can't tell at how much power.

post #290 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 AM

chazcron,
They started working here as well about three or four days ago. Hope they are here to stay.
post #291 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Hey folks,
I have owned my 51SWX set since March of last year and this is my first post here. I love the information you guys have been giving. I am currently running through TWC for HDTV and I am wondering if it is worth the trouble of getting the local HD over the air. Is it worth the cost and how much should I expect to spend? Also what is your current opinion on what is happening with TWC and ESPN in reguards to HD? Thanks again!
post #292 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 12:31 PM

Welcome to AVS Forum!
I live in West Chester and receive all Cincinnati digital stations and have added Dayton channels that I like to watch, but I can receive all of them. OTA is really not that expensive, considering how much HD over cable is. A OTA box(which may include a Sat service), an antenna, a pre-amp(if needed), and some RG-6 wire. I have a very large antenna(12 feet) in my attic along with a Channel Master 7776 pre-amp. The antenna can be UHF, but ABC is located on channel 10, which is VHF. I am OTA only, so I cannot comment on Sat quality, others on this thread can tell you about that. If you cannot receive Dayton's digitals from your Cincinnati antenna, just put another antenna up and point it north.

Alex
post #293 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 12:47 PM
cmf

Chazcron, see my post...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...81#post3148481

They're part of an upgrade package that should cost $$ (I lost InHD1 and 2 on 1/1/04 because I didn't add the HD package that includes those channels and HDNet's 2).
post #294 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 01:24 PM

Craig, I did hear about it, saw the channels turn to a static "subscription" screen, even deprogrammed INHD from my HD "favorites". I only found they were on again by accident. I assumed it was a free preview to woo current HD folks to pay more for the HD tier (I don't think so, TWCinci) I posted in hopes it was only me seeing it for free, (IE an accidental upgrade.)

On a side note, those with the Pioneer 3150, my neighbor has one, and in the 5 minutes I played with it, I was unable to disable stretching on 3x4 programming. I wish Pioneer had a PDF on all the features and input/outputs like SA does. Anyone have a link to such info?

Is it possible?

For me, stretching is only tolerable if it is smooth/wide, like most 16x9 tv manufacturers do. Why couldn't Pioneer do it? I'm probably going to replace my SA 2000 on my SD tv in order to compare it to my 3100 without losing it if I don't like the 3150. I hope TWCinci gets the SA 3250 someday. Better yet, by the end of the year, maybe Cinci could be a HD-PVR test market.

Have a TW PVR upstairs, blocky pixelization is pretty awful, channel changing delay is unbearable. Be nice if it had a "surf mode" that temporarily disabled the delay spooling. Best feature, intelligent mini-rewind backup to where you wanted to start viewing after fastforwarding thru commercials. Been gone awhile, fixating on 3d modeling the new Ford Mustang over the last six months.
post #295 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 01:40 PM

I picked up a 3500HD box last night from the Norwood TW store. Anyone know what the differences are between the 3500/3510?
post #296 of 14360 Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DrDon
WXIX-DT appears to be on the air, again. Well, they ARE. But I can't tell at how much power.

They're still up(Jinx alert!) and putting a good signal(as far as I can tell) into here at 5pm.

Jeff
post #297 of 14360 Old 01-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Cossa, check the sticker on the back of the box. Even though the manual says 3500, the actual box (mine anyway) says 3510.

Brad
post #298 of 14360 Old 01-09-2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks will do this evening. Is the DVI port active on the 3510? Customer service wasn't very helpful...
post #299 of 14360 Old 01-09-2004, 01:44 PM

Hi~ I'm looking for an installer in Cincinnati to run some in ceiling speakers and and an in attic antenna for my off air HD. I'm located in Loveland. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
post #300 of 14360 Old 01-09-2004, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think its "about that time", so Wonder if we'll get a HdOne Movie from WKRC-DT this weekend ...

The TitanTV 2AM listing for WKRC Sunday Night(when they usually air the Paramount movie in SD only) shows:

"To Be Announced(HD)"

WBDT Dayton, which also airs the Paramount HDOne movie package(but in SD only), shows the following listing for 1pm Sunday Afternoon:

WBDTDT 18 (26.1) Sunday 1/11/2004 1:00 PM, 2 hrs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prayer in the Dark

A Quaker's family is held hostage by a former believer and two armed companions as she seeks help from members of her nonviolent community. (1997)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynda Carter, Teri Polo, Colin Ferguson, Phillip Jarrett, Silvio Oliverio

Drama/Made For Cable

NR, TVPG, English

-------------------------

Hmmm .. Could be a Dud, but Lynda Carter in HD ..... Fingers crossed ...

BTW, here is the list of upcoming Paramount HD movies from AVS Programming Sypnosis thread - Hopefully, I'll get to see the ST(II especially) movies, Raiders(again, it aired on ABC in HD a couple years back) and the Godfather Movies in HD :

A Prayer in the Dark - January
Beverly Hills Cop - February
Contagious - March
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - April
Star Trek II-The Wrath of Khan - May
Star Trek III-The Search for Spock - June
Raider of the Lost Ark - July
Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home - August
Star Trek V-Final Frontier - September
Star Trek VI-The Undiscovered Country - October
The Godfather - November
The Godfather, Part II - November