3Likes

post #451 of 14379 Old 03-13-2004, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
WCET-DT note:

For last 3 nights here I've noticed, as we've seen before, it looks like WCET-DT isn't getting into "HD mode" properly again ... Same thing as we've seen before --- Between 7-11pm when HD is scheduled, 48-1+ PBS HD is missing, 48-2+48-3 is OK, 48-4+48-5 are blank, but are there as place holders. Just like when they are in 4 channel SD mode, except the missing programming on 48-4+5.

--------------------------------------------------------
WXIX Note:

It might just be that I've been looking at the right times, but it seems like WXIX-DT has been up all the time the last few weeks .... Am I seeing things ?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 14379 Old 03-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I have found this thread to be helpful and informative. However, I find it frustrating that it is one big thread. To fix this I have started a Cincinnati HDTV forum / website. The website is www CincinnatiHDTV com. I hope you all will come over and check it out and start using it as well. It is just getting started, so there isn't much there now. I don't want to cause a problem by posing this message on this fourm, but have no other way to get a hold of people. Thanks and go Bearcats!!

-mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 14379 Old 03-15-2004, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Zekyl, great idea. Here's the clickable URL : http://www.cincinnatihdtv.com

I know the following site has seemed to work well for the Columbus area, I especially like the way they have the forum areas setup for different stations/etc, and that personel from all the local Columbus stations particpate on the forum.

http://www.hdcolumbus.org

One suggestion FWIW -- Something they don't have at hdcolumbus.org --- I think it would be great to have a section(not part of the forum) with detailed info on the local stations, including contact info/hours of operation/when they do HD, info on which area cable providers provide which HD services from the locals as well as nat'l cable HD channels, and the "tech" parameters(antenna patterns/coverage area/etc) of the local stations.

Jeff
post #454 of 14379 Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and clickable link. I am looking for people to help manage the site and if you want to help, please contact me off list via email on CincinnatiHDTV. Thanks again and I will continue to improve the site.

-Mike

-mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 14379 Old 03-16-2004, 07:56 AM

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but on my MITS with the integrated tuner, whenever I tune in channel 5.01, I receive the channel, but the channel number and description just keep flashing and then it will lock the set up. If anyone can help, it would be great. I have e-mailed engineering, but I haven't received a response yet.

Alex
post #456 of 14379 Old 03-16-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JD,

Yes --- My receiver just locked up on WLWT-DT as well on my Zenith HDV420 receiver around 12 pm -- first tuned to WLWT around 11:40 after first reading your message. Interesting thing is, Audio/Video from WLWT-DT is still just fine here, but after being tuned to a WLWT-DT for a few minutes with EIA-708 "digital" Closed captions turned on, I can't turn the channel(or adjust anything on the receiver for that matter -- Captions also "locked up" and are displaying a few words from several minutes ago as the receiver is locked up!- Watched HD Leno from them Last night, fine then, and was also fine Sunday Night during "American Dreams"...and there were no problems then, but I didn't turn on the captions ....

I have had the Zenith HDV420 receiver lock up and need resetting on WLWT-DT before though, haven't had it lock up anywhere else that I can recall. Seems like everytime this has happened, the 708 captions(which my receiver supports through PSIP I believe) will go missing for a while afterwards until they "fix something".

Update: Ok, after turning off receiver and turning it back on, turned off the 708 captions, and it's not locking up on WLWT-DT now -- which is the usual situation when I've noticed this happen on previous occaisions.

In addition to "rebooting", just some ideas, but you might try rescanning channels, or manually tuning to channel 35 to get to 5-1 to see if that helps. If you have captions(particularly EIA-708 or so called "digital" captions) turned on, you might want to turn those off as well - Just some ideas.

Jeff
post #457 of 14379 Old 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was under the impression TW cable was carrying the WCVN-DT digitals on the system.. Has this changed?

KET4 was on the HD Tier and the rest on the Digital SD tier..

William
post #458 of 14379 Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 PM

I was under the impression as well. I have not seen it, but on their guide they mailed out, it showed it as well. Also on their website channel guide it shows it.
-Mike - www cincinnatihdtv com

-mike

post #459 of 14379 Old 03-17-2004, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zekyl
I was under the impression as well. I have not seen it, but on their guide they mailed out, it showed it as well. Also on their website channel guide it shows it.
-Mike - http://www.cincinnatihdtv.com

That's strange. Is it possible KET digital/WCVN-DT isn't "getting out" throughout all of TW Cincy's service area?

Here are a couple of posts reporting KET showing up on TW Cincy(the earlier ones from July involved testing, I believe), From Summer 03' cincy Thread :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...97#post2411397

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...55#post2415555 - Note: several other KET/TW Cincy related posts/reports on the page this post is on as well

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...91#post2529991

-----------------------------------

CMF posted all the Channel info for TW Cincy HD Channel line up (as well as the SD services from local stations, including KET) he was getting at the time in this post, from August 2003:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...69#post2573469

Also, In the last 1/2 of Summer 2003 thread or so, much info was posted concerning station info/etc which might be of some use, although some might be outdated, and most of the pertinent info should be in first few posts of this thread.

--------------------------------

Who1Zep posted The Insight N. KY HD channel Lineup(also including the multicast SD services from the PBS locals) earlier on this thread - last updated at end of Nov. 03:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht#post2788610

Jeff
post #460 of 14379 Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 AM

Yea, I checked again last night and the channel numbers are there, but they are definately not HD.

-mike

post #461 of 14379 Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KET runs HD/PBS Widescreen on KET4 per the following schedule:

http://www.ket.org/agency/dtv/programs.htm

The rest of the time, KET4(54-4, 957 TWC I believe) runs Annenburg/CPB channel at 480i SD, with 4~6 SD sevices(they recently added KET5+6 with coverage of KY general assembly during the day) -- On KET4, They switch ATSC formats between 480i for Annenburg/CPB and 720p for PBS HD/Widescreen. Yes, they use 720p for PBS HD instead of 1080i.

WCET-DT doesn't broadcast HD all the time either. OTA, 48-1 is active with PBS HD nightly between 7-11pm, between 8a-7pm they are in 4 channel SD multicast mode+48-1 disappears completely. They are off air between 11pm-8am. Don't know how it works for TWC, but according to their schedule+previous reports, I assume HD is from 7-11pm only on 948.

WPTD-DT, Dayton gives us the most PBS HD, broadcasting PBS HD channel nightly from 6pm-6am, which is good since Tracks ahead comes on in HD at 6:30pm -- Even though, I wish they'd do more TA's in HD ... I think I've seen them all several times by now ... All of WPTD-DT services(including HD) are carried By TW Dayton/Western Ohio.

HD from all 3 local PBS affiliates is currently multicast alongside 2 SD services, I believe this is the reason KET does 720p. The other 2 do 1080i. I believe ThinkTV has plans for multicasting, as well as some sort of HD schedule for WPTO-DT when they come on the air.

Jeff
post #462 of 14379 Old 03-18-2004, 04:42 PM

Hello
Since I just uninstalled my OTA receiver, and got cable, is CBS doing multicasting with the NCAA tour. games? If so I may have to put OTA receiver back up to the TV.....

Thanks
Dave
post #463 of 14379 Old 03-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 268
WKRC-DT isn't multicasting today. There's a chance they may leave up the HD game from KC tomorrow, as that's what they've done in the past. But, we'll have to wait and see. I've contacted them, but haven't heard back. If you have WKRC-DT on cable, you should get that if that's what they do. They haven't run all of the feeds since CBS started doing some HD games. It's too much trouble to reconfigure the transcoder and - since they have to shut down to do that - it takes Webhopper offline for a while.

If you're where you can get Columbus, THEY are running all 4, I've heard.

update: It appears we're not going to get the HD game on WKRC-DT, this year, as we have in years past. They seem to be sticking with the simulcast of 12.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #464 of 14379 Old 03-19-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good thing I'm not much of a BB fan. I was planning on watching a couple of the HD games and UC/XU games/etc, but oh well.

According to info on the Columbus HD forum and WBNS website, I think WBNS-DT Columbus is switching between 4 channel multicast+ and HD. WISH-DT Indianapolis I believe is doing Multicast and some HD games as well.

Interesting that Harris is in CINCINNATI and is sponsoring the HD games for CBS ....

Jeff
post #465 of 14379 Old 03-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Wonder if anybody's called the station. It's possible they planned to follow suit but forgot. I wrote 'em.. never got an answer. Fortunately, DirecTV's March Madness package has all 4 streams AND the HD games.

Doc

post #466 of 14379 Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I bet WKRC-DT can't multicast the NCAA games because of WebHopper. Is WHIO-DT multicasting? I can't get them at my location to know if they are or not. I may try to turn my antenna towards Lexington to set if I can get WKYT-DT on OTA Ch13. I also thought that only CBS O&Os are doing the NCAA multicast because they have multiple receivers and not all CBS affiliates do.

-----------
Robert
post #467 of 14379 Old 03-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Microbob...

You're right about WebHopper... They have to shut down to reconfigure the transcoder. Can't do it on the fly like WCET-DT.

But, in years past, their former Chief Engineer put the HD games up on 31 regardless of what was on 12. Guess Gilbert isn't as much into it as Martinelli was. OTOH, now that the DT is on cable, I'd imagine they'd get more complaints if they bailed the Cincinnati game for ANY reason.. even if it's still on 12.

Doc

post #468 of 14379 Old 03-19-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WHIO(analog+both DT subchannels - HD+SD)is presently showing the same game as on WKRC - U.C. game presently, same game(s) covered at 12:30 up until UC game as well. I'd be surprised though if at some point, WHIO didn't have some different games than WKRC. Last year, while WKRC would carry the HD game regardless of what game was on 12, for the most part, whatever was on WHIO analog was the game on the digital as well(both subchannels), if that game was HD, then you'd get it HD on WHIO-DT's HD subchannel.

Don't know about the multiple receiver issue, but I don't think the multicast has anything to do with CBS/viacom O&O. WBNS Columbus is owned by Gray, WISH in Indy is owned by LIN, not CBS. In 2001, WKRC-DT even did multicast for NCAA tourney.

Doc,

Good point on the U.C. game. I just figured WKRC-DT would have had the 12:30 HD game today, perhaps especially since they switch to CBS HD feed daily at 12:30 for Y&R anyway ....

Jeff
post #469 of 14379 Old 03-20-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wanted to bring up WBQC again, as it has been my impression(especially since this is what they told me!) as I have posted on Cincinnati threads on previous occasions that WBQC could "switch to digital" on their analog assignment at any time. But, we have been having a discussion on another thread concerning LP/translators and class A stations and the DTV transistion, and this does not seem to be the case, so I thought I should bring this up again. Here's the link to discussion involved :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...24#post3553124

I don't know why I didn't put 2+2 together on this before -- But I do/did know that FCC has just recently started addressing the LP/CA/Translator digital issue, and LP/Class A/Translator stations, so far haven't been given 2nd channel assignments for DTV(there isn't enough room) ...

Also, I know that any station would need a CP(Construction Permit) --- (CP specifies operating parameters for the station such as antenna height/antenna pattern/power/frequency of operation/etc.) granted by FCC before they could build, or operate the DTV(or analog for that matter) station involved. Also, applying for and receiving approval for a CP can be a long process, many issues are involved, including co-channel/adjacent channel interference issues, and If I remember right(we are pretty close to edge of border zone I think), even Cincinnati Towers are in the Canadian border Zone and because of possible interference issues CP's for our area require approval from Canadian version of FCC.

So, I suppose I will have to keep my eye on the FCC procedings/documents concerning LP's/CA/Translators and DTV!

Jeff
post #470 of 14379 Old 03-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Sorry all, Cincinnatihdtv.com was off-line for a bit today due to a power failure, it's back. I guess I need to invest in a UPS for it.

-mike

post #471 of 14379 Old 03-23-2004, 09:25 PM

Does anyone participating in this thread own a LG LST-3100A HD receiver? I was wondering if it is possible to receive Insight cable's analog/digital/HDTV channels with the QAM abilities of this STB. Please post specific channels if possible.
post #472 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

whoZep..

You might also check the Louisville thread. I would imagine Insight is using the same scheme, there. Matter of fact, they run about 6 months ahead of us on stuff.

All..

Is it just me or has the PQ on WXIX-DT (during Fox Widescreen filmed material) improved tenfold? Have to admit, I was rarely up late enough to see much of it, before, but even the stuff I tape in w/s looks far superb to the stuff I taped 3 months ago. Widescreen live and upconverted stuff looks the same, so I'm wondering if it's something on Fox's end. We know WXIX doesn't have the new splicing gear because they still miss switches..

Doc

post #473 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by DrDon

All..

Is it just me or has the PQ on WXIX-DT (during Fox Widescreen filmed material) improved tenfold? Have to admit, I was rarely up late enough to see much of it, before, but even the stuff I tape in w/s looks far superb to the stuff I taped 3 months ago. Widescreen live and upconverted stuff looks the same, so I'm wondering if it's something on Fox's end. We know WXIX doesn't have the new splicing gear because they still miss switches..

Doc

I've noticed an improvement in picture quality as well the last few days or so. The jitter seems to be gone or ruduced. Fox is gearing up for full HDTV broadcasts so they may improved things at the network.I wonder when WXIX will switch from 480p to 780p?

Now if we could convince WSTR-DT to broadcast the WB HDTV prime schedule we would be in HDTV Heaven

-----------
Robert
post #474 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by microbob
I wonder when WXIX will switch from 480p to 780p?

Actually, they're still transmitting in 1080i, upconverting eveything. I'm worried about the switch. I'm not familiar with the gear they have. If they have to buy a new transcoder, then you can bet they won't switch until August, if then. If their transcoder can be reprogrammed, they'll do it as soon as the new splicer arrives. At least I hope so.

As for WSTR-DT.. I assume you're writing as many letters as the rest of us...?

post #475 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 09:17 AM

You know, I guess I should look into a HDTV OTA Antenna. I live in a condo on the lower level, and not sure what all I could pickup from there and what the best antenna would be. I have TWC for Cable HDTV, but it sounds as if WXIX and WSTR are doing OTA only for now. I wonder when TWC will get their HDTV feeds?

-mike

post #476 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Probably when they start doing HDTV. With WXIX, that might be as early as this fall. With WSTR... who knows? No signs they're even going to try. Lot of money for only 2 hours a day.

post #477 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zekyl
You know, I guess I should look into a HDTV OTA Antenna. I live in a condo on the lower level, and not sure what all I could pickup from there and what the best antenna would be.

You might try the Zenith Silver Sensor (ZHDTV1) for an indoor solution, but avoid Terk. If you can go outside, Channelmaster and Winegard have good reputations. Lots of good info in other AVS Forum sections.
post #478 of 14379 Old 03-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Heck, you might start with any old rabbit ears you might have lying around. I'm probably farther out than you and I can get some of them with a UHF loop antenna I've had in an old TV box for years. Remember that WCPO-DT is on VHF (ch 10).

post #479 of 14379 Old 03-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
Has anyone heard anything recently about the status of WPTO-DT? Spring is finally here and I'm looking forward to them going on the air, hopefully before Summer.

Clarke
post #480 of 14379 Old 03-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Jeff...

Too funny. Looks like I need more than X1 reading glasses when running AVS on my laptop, huh?

deleted my post.

Doc

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page