Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #511 of 14635 Old 04-15-2004, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any word yet if WKRC is planning on creating a sub channel? Looks live NBC national has decided to create a weather sub channel, hopefully WLWT will not carry this. Sinclair is rolling out more WB stations that are HD, Minneapolis looks like the start of conversion, with 5 others coming on soon. WSTR should get their act together and upgrade. WXIX will be very interesting this fall with all the planned NFL games in HD, lets hope that this doesn't get delayed.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 14635 Old 04-15-2004, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, since Hearst-Argyle looks to be playing a part in the NBC deal, I'd guess WLWT-DT(owned by Hearst) will probably carry the Weather+alert channel. See here:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...14/va_mi/nbc_1

Jeff
post #513 of 14635 Old 04-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking of moving from DirecTV to Insight's HD DVR service in Northern KY. I really want to be able to have a DVR and especially HD DVR. I've done a search on the thread but haven't been able to find users. Can anyone who has Insight Digital HD DVR chime in an tell me what the feature pros and cons are? I would also like to find out the model number of their latest equipment so I can look up specs. One thing in particular, as a backup for when cable is down (or to view non-Insight HD channels), will the equipment allow me to patch in my rooftop OTA feed for OTA HD or OTA analog? Also, will it utilize my Dolby 5.1 and optical inputs from my surrouind sound? Thanks!
post #514 of 14635 Old 04-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Have a buddy who has it and loves it. No, you can't patch in an antenna since the channel assignments are different for analog and the frequencies and modulation scheme is different for digital. He says the only cons are: Low amount of HD recording time available (something like 8 hours) and no Fox Digital (they're not available on the Insight digital tier, although they may be come fall).

For those times the cable is out - and for Fox (Dayton, too, if you have a good antenna), I might recommend an OTA-only tuner, such as the Samsung T-151.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #515 of 14635 Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Dr. Don

Thanks! I have an OTA Tuner built into my DirecTV Hughes e-86. I guess I could leave that set up just for the OTA stuff. I was hoping to be able to remove a componenet from the rack, though, which is necessary to make room for the cable box. I guess I'll remove the VCR.
post #516 of 14635 Old 04-19-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been doing some research on FCC rules concerning Class A+LP stations, as well as looking at WBQC-CA's/WOTH-LP's current operating permits/CP's etc.

WOTH-LP 38(analog - Independent - Home shopping/Beverly Hilllbillies/etc) has had their STA for channel 38 renewed recently. STA's are granted for 6 month time periods. WOTH-LP currently also has a CP(construction permit) to move to channel 25 and use WBQC's current facilities.

WBQC-CA 25(analog - UPN) CP For Channel 38 expires in Dec 2004. They could of course ask for a extension past that date I suppose.

In the recent NPRM(notice of proposed rulemakeing) adopted late last summer by FCC Concerning DTV and Low Power(LP) Stations --- The way it currently stands, LPTV+class A stations don't have a 2nd channel assignment for DTV, and LP stations can't convert to digital on their analog assignment -- However, in the LP NPRM(among other things) FCC is proposing LP stations be allowed to convert to digital on their current analog assignment.

However --- From what I can tell from present rules, Class A stations CAN evidently currently convert to digital on their analog assignment(WBQC is Class A, and although they are currently on 25, their current "class A" analog assignment would be channel 38), and that has been the rule since early 2000 - To convert to digital, they would need to file with FCC for a minor change in facilites, which would need to be aprroved by FCC.

Follows is a footnote from the recent LP NPRM from FCC, the entire document can be found under the 10/3/03 date at the following site: http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/documents.html

Footnote #154 : Class A stations may convert their existing analog channels for digital operations at any time, thus becoming digital Class A TV stations (Class A Report and Order, 92). Class A TV facilities changes, other than channels changes, are considered to be "minor" changes, provided the protected signal contour resulting from the changed facilities would overlap some portion of the protected contour based on the Class A station's authorized facilities (Class A Report and Order, 110). The Class A Report and Order did not explicitly characterize an on-channel digital conversion of an analog Class A station authorization as a minor change. We here clarify that Class A station licensees and permittees may seek an on-channel digital conversion by filing an application for a minor facilities change pursuant to the definition and application processing criteria given in Sections 73.3572 at paragraphs (a) and (f). An analog-to-digital converted digital Class A station would have the same interference protection priorities as an analog Class A station.

:end quote

Follows is relevant section (paragraph 92) from the "Class A Report in order"(issued in 2000) which is referenced above -- The entire document (and other Class A television service rules/documents) is available under the 4/4/2000 date) at the following site : http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/classa.html

92. Decision. As an initial matter, we note that Class A stations may convert their existing channel to digital broadcasting at any time.

:end quote

-----------------------------------------
Its probably there in the rules and I'm not looking in the right place, but one thing I couldn't find in the rules was any info concerning what the DTV ERP power limits would be for any Class A stations which might apply to switch to digital on their current analog assignment.

---------------------------

So, anyone have any news concerning the WBQC move to 38 and/or WOTH-LP's move to 25, and if we'll get to see UPN HD(Enterprise+some UPN movies are currently sent by UPN in HD+by some UPN digital affiliates as well) in Cincinnati anytime soon?

Jeff
post #517 of 14635 Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Notice that 48-1+PBS HD Channel is missing from WCET-DT Tonight(48-4+5 are there, but "blank" as placeholders)

PBS HD is fine for "Nova" from KET4 via WCVN-DT, and From WPTD-DT ... It's nice to have "Backup" :-)

Jeff
post #518 of 14635 Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
48-1 was missing last night also. 54-4 is working great tonight.

-----------
Robert
post #519 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 AM

Hello
I have Insight's DVR. The model is Motorola 6208.

Pros:
Currently one of the cheapest ways to record HD for timeshifting etc.
Firewire: Allows you to store to a DVHS or since 5c encryption is not turned on yet, allows you to connect to a PC and record. But a bit tricky.
Full Bandwidth of the HD Stream. (verified by coping to PC, HDNET comes across at 45mps, locals from 15-18megs, show, HBO 14.5 megs)

Cons
The Guide: Made by TV Guide if your coming from Direct TV or a Tivo, you will probably hate it, I didn't have either, so it wasn't that much of an adjustment to me.
Small drive: 80 gigs, (but not a problem if you have DVHS + Firewire)
If the unit reboots, it takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes to get guide data back. (if you are archiving to DVHS, this will happen)
If your not connected to the cable, you can't play your stored recordings. (but usually not an issue)

Yes, it is cable, but I have been living in Taylor Mill, KY for about 5 years now and can count on 1 hand how many times my cable has gone out.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by ItzMe
I'm thinking of moving from DirecTV to Insight's HD DVR service in Northern KY. I really want to be able to have a DVR and especially HD DVR. I've done a search on the thread but haven't been able to find users. Can anyone who has Insight Digital HD DVR chime in an tell me what the feature pros and cons are? I would also like to find out the model number of their latest equipment so I can look up specs. One thing in particular, as a backup for when cable is down (or to view non-Insight HD channels), will the equipment allow me to patch in my rooftop OTA feed for OTA HD or OTA analog? Also, will it utilize my Dolby 5.1 and optical inputs from my surrouind sound? Thanks!

post #520 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

hugenbdd, thanks for all the good info! It'll probably be another month or so before I make the switch over to Insight DVR. When I do, I hope I can get you to elaborate on the archiving features. One question that comes to mind now is if I can take advantage of my home 802.11g wireless network to archive video to a computer's HD, like I hear you can do with Replay TV. I see that it has ethernet. Do you keep a computer next to the reciever? Oh lastly, can you confirm that this is the specific model Insight is using: http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6208.asp
post #521 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Hugenbdd..

My pal tells me you can't watch one HD show and record another at the same time, either. Something you supposedly CAN do with the DirecTV HD PVR.

Doc

post #522 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

DrDon,

You seem to be unfortunately correct I C/P this from the manual pdf at the site I posted above. It seems that, unlike many other DVRs, there is only one tuner on this one. The ideal model would have 2 tuners and a larger HD.

Q. Can I watch a program while I'm recording?
A. You can watch a previously recorded program when you are recording a live program. If you
are recording a live show, changing channels will stop the recording. You will see a screen
asking you to confirm you want to change the channel and stop the recording.
post #523 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Hi Doc--

My HD Tivo showed up today and I'll be putting it in service later tonight. The HD Tivo has four tuners (two sat and two OTA) allowing you to record two shows simultaneously while watching a previously recorded show. It can record up to 200 hours of SD tv and 30 hours HD. I'll give you the bug report after a few days.

Jack

Jack
post #524 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Jack..

Thanks!! Looking forward to your report.

post #525 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM

I live in Springboro and wish to combine two antennas so I can receive both Cincinnati and Dayton stations. I have tried to use a combiner but the signals become weak and I can't receive any channels. I guess both antennas interfere with each other trying to tune in the same channel. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Scott
post #526 of 14635 Old 04-22-2004, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott --

What are the make/model of antennas(or preamp/etc) you are using and, if you use just one of them by itself, if you aim it at Dayton do you get good results, and if you aim it at Cincinnati do you get good results?

You're correct, if you try to combine 2 antennas(other than combining seperate VHF/UHF antennas with a appripriate VHF/UHF joiner), aimed in different directions onto same feedline they will likely "interfere" with each other .... The signals shouldn't necessarily become weak really, but The antennas will be out of phase+increase multipath problems(unless you get really really lucky).

Other than using a single antenna+rotor, the most convienient solution would probably be to use seperate feedlines on each antenna, and use a A/B switch installed just before your receiver(or other equipment) to switch between the two. I do that here for Cincinnati/Dayton stations, and it works great! - I do also have a rotor on one antenna, but I don't need it For the Dayton/Cincinnati Digital stations(I'm between Middletown and Germantown, BTW)

One heading should work for you for all the cincinnati Stations+one heading should work for all the Dayton stations. WKOI-DT(TBN Religious - No HD) is the only one that should need a different heading -- Its tower is near Oxford, Ohio+due to their current Low power+directional antenna pattern, it would be very difficult to pick up from Springboro anyhow.

A rotor is of course probably going to be a more expensive solution, and you'd have to run the rotor cable(just as you'd have to run the second feedline for seperate Cincy/Dayton antennas).

Keep in mind -- ABC cincinnati digital is on VHF(WCPO-DT 10 - remap to 9.x) - So you'll probably want a antenna with VHF reception capability to receive them .... The rest of the Dayton/Cincinnati digital stations currently broadcast on UHF. You're probably not going to need much antenna for the Dayton stations, as you're only a few miles from the Dayton towers.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
post #527 of 14635 Old 04-23-2004, 10:13 AM

Hi Doc and everyone else.

I think I may be able to lay claim to being the first user of the new Directv HD-Tivo. I received it yesterday and fired it up last night. While it's too early to call this a flawless product, my first impression is very good. It basically behaves exactly as a normal DirecTivo, with the same interface, function and so far reliability, with the exception that it records in HD. There's a couple of extra functions--the ability to do a linear stretch on non-HD signals and the ability to change output mode using the remote (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Jack
post #528 of 14635 Old 04-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

News of note for those of you who can pick up Dayton as well as Cincinnati:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...48#post3714548

Thanks, kvp for the info.

Jack:

Do you have audio issues with HDNet as reported in the TiVo community?

Doc

post #529 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

jkeane, I have a few questions for you. I've been weighing the pros and cons (including cost) of Insight's HD DVR against DirecTV. I'd be curious to know where you bought your DirecTV system from and how much it cost. Can you get DirecTV to pay for the unit or the install? I ask because I would might need another multi-switch to have enough sat feeds. Lastly, can you tell what the real storage capacity is with HD and non HD?
post #530 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 AM

Doc--

I'll check out the audio on HDNet tonight....I haven't had any problems with DD5.1 on any of the other channels.

ItzMe--

I've been a Directv customer since 1996. Last year, I upgraded to their HD service, which required a new 3 LNB dish. They sold me a Samsung TS-160 HD receiver and the new dish for $299 including installation and a new cascading multi switch. I think they are currently promoting a $99 package that's essentially the same thing. They also have a $99 deal for an SD Directivo.

I bought the HDTivo from Value Electronics www.********************* I pre-ordered the unit in January and at that time, they were offering the unit for $899 if you paid a $100 deposit. Where available, the HDTivo's are running $999 and they will include the new dish, multi-switch and installation if you need it. My understanding is that demand is outstripping supply at the moment. Supposedly, these will be sold for $600 starting in June or July. There are rumors about a $250 credit when you activate the HDTivo, but I wasn't a good enough negotiator to get that, however they did knock $15/month off my invoice for six months. If you call Directv, you should try to get past the first level of CSR to get good service and any good deals they have out there--their first line of reps is bad news.

The capacity is 200 hours SD and 30 hours HD. I was away for part of the weekend, so I didn't spend alot of time playing with it, but so far I have not found any serious flaws.

Jack
post #531 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Thanksm Jack, for Good info
post #532 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 07:38 AM

Jack,
I too have been a long time D* customer & have had the HD package for many moons, so how did you happen to get $15/mo off? I thought that deals are for new subscribers only(pet peeve) anyway...is it that you "committed" for another year or something?...BTW, I'm also waiting for my pre-ordered HDTivo to arrive any day now. But again, I'm already subscribing to the HD programming, so to just replace a box-out doesn't appear to be a strong negotiating position for discounts - is that what you did? Thanks...Chris
PS : did you have audio cut-out during the ESPN-HD Braves/Marlins game last nite?
post #533 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 08:14 AM

Hi Chris--

There's been quite a lot of chatter in the Tivo Community forum regarding D*'s giving various amounts of credit to keep your business. I emailed them off the webpage and explained I had just dropped a chunk of change on the HDTivo and wanted some help to offset the cost and I referenced the fact that VOOM has been advertising a no upfront cost system. They called me back two days later and explained that they didn't have any formal program for issuing credits against the HDTivo but since I was a good, longstanding customer and all around swell guy, they offered me $10 off a month against HBO & Showtime. I asked if he could give a little more and they knocked off another $5 for six months. I did not add any programming and they did not ask for a commitment, but when I added the HDTivo, it comes standard with the year commitment. From what I hear, it's a crapshoot and it really depends on the individual CSR. I think some people at D* may realize that early adopters tend to prosilitize (SP?) more than the average person and others follow our lead, so it's smart for them to throw a bone in our direction every once in awhile.

I can't speak to the baseball game--I was watching the Sopranos and Deadwood with no audio problems.

Jack
post #534 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 12:45 PM

Jack-Thanks for the info. Got a specific website address or email that you sent your discount/credit request to? Perhaps, I'll give it a shot; even though I'm sure I'm not as "swell" a guy as you :-) ...especially since, yes, us D*ers are paying a premium compared to Dish, VOOM, etc. & even NEW D* subscribers.

Anybody, got a good (low cost) local source for a Terk 5x8way Multiswich? I need it for the new quad-tuner HDTivo box? (I'll have 5 D* tuners now, therefore rendering my 4way useless). I'd like to make BestBuy match the price of that local source as I've got a gift-credit@BB I could use. BUT NOW they want $150 when the eBay price is less than half that...so it's hard to justify paying the FULL retail even with the credit.

Two other quick items then, I'll shut-up : Has anyone confirmed that the ABC affiliate(9-1 WCPO?) is actually outputting in DD 5.1 now? (I heard a rumor) &
2) I saw that the NBA playoffs are in HD (on ESPN-HD & PPV-HD) but also read that TNT is also "offering" games in HD seen here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=390342
--is TNT-HD offered ANYWHERE locally? (D*, TWC, VOOM?) Turner's channels (TNT & TBS) would obviously be a SUPER-GREAT HD addition...out
post #535 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 12:58 PM

Chris--

I used the "contact us" page at Directv's website www.directv.com If you haven't already registered with them, you'll need your account number. Also, you'll want to check out this forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...?s=&forumid=36

There's lots of info on the HDTivo as well as a thread that deals specifically with the D* credit.

I believe Channel 9 will be doing 5.1 when they move to their new facility on Liberty later this year.

Jack
post #536 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed WKRC-DT ran (at least part of) the PGA HD coverage this afternoon(Rained out yesterday), even though it wasn't on the analog --- Good deal! (WHIO-DT didn't have the HD golf today BTW).

Jeff
post #537 of 14635 Old 04-26-2004, 07:41 PM

ItzMe
Archiving: I use a JVC 30k DVHS with a fire-wire link to the JVC. Even though the 6208 has a network Jack, it is not enabled. And I think the jack is to be more for a "cable modem" than to allow the box to be "networked". (Check out the Moxi thread under the records forum, that is probably what you ultimately want, but it's not here yet.) And, Since 5c (encryption type on fire-wire) is not turned on for Insight, I can also connect a 6pin to 6 pin fire-wire cable between the 6208 and my PC. There are some special drivers that need to be installed and a program called CapDVHS. (read thread entitle How to record to WindwosXP without Firebus) However, once they turn 5c on, I don't think I will be able to archive to my pc.

If you want to go the TiVo route, there are two major issues with this hardware. Not in Bugs but in basic design.
1.) You can't archive HD, no Fire-wire ports to archive to DVHS and so far, no way to "upgrade" the drive. (but I'm sure people are already working on this)
2.)Bandwidth. Cable currently sends the whole bandwidth of the HD channel. They do not "remux" the channel. HDNet(s) come across at 45m. With Sat. your lucky to get 16megs tops as they have to split 30meg bandwidth across 2 HD channels. So in effect with Sat. the larger screen size you go, the worse the HD picture looks, and the more "macro" blocks you get. Something to compare Sat. HD Signal to is the local CBS, they broadcast at 15m right now
post #538 of 14635 Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hi all.. I am just getting ready for my new hd rptv (two weeks away!) anyway - I am looking at options for locals and an ota seems to be the best way - I have convinced directv to give me the $99 hd deal - I had allready purchased a multiswitch and triple lnb dish so I am set.. anyway I am out in Maineville / Hamilton Township and according to antenna web I would need a medium gain - amplified antenna - I am just curoius as to what people are using and have had good luck with.. thanks!

jim
post #539 of 14635 Old 04-27-2004, 06:57 AM

Doc--

Quick update on the HDTivo. I spent some time last night watching Sheryl Crowe and Andy Richter on HDNet (both recorded, not live), and experienced no audio drop-out. I used to have quite a problem with this when I was using the TS160 and the HDTivo seems more stable in this regard. I did get a little bit of macroblocking, but the weather was not good when these were recorded and trans 24 is still my weakest link. I'm thinking some of the people reporting problems specific to HDNet might not realize the transponder has been changed maybe requiring re-alignment like you and I did.

I've also not seen the twitter that some are reporting when viewing upscaled 480i. This could be specific with certain displays or the fact that some are a hell of a lot more discriminating than I am. It's not unusual for me to watch evening TV along with an adult beverage, so my visual acuity might be suspect

Jack
post #540 of 14635 Old 04-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the report and hear-hear to "adult beverages."

Rain fade has been an issue, this week. Lots of tall, heavy clouds and with 119 at a shallower angle than 110, the signal has more atmosphere to cut through. I had fits with everything on 119, Sunday. I do need to pull the dish competely off and start over, sometime this summer.

Thanks for the update. Keep us apprised of any other issues you see. If any. Sounds like a solid product. But then, if memory serves, it's already second-generation since the original prototypes only had one ATSC tuner.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page