post #541 of 14379 Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jim tressler
anyway I am out in Maineville / Hamilton Township and according to antenna web I would need a medium gain - amplified antenna - I am just curoius as to what people are using and have had good luck with.. thanks!

There are many options that might work well for you, although - unless you want to experiment with simple indoor antennas, I'd keep away from non-directional antennas.

An small to medium sized VHF-UHF combo antenna such as the Winegard HD7080p ( http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd7080p.pdf ) would probably be a good choice, -- CM(CM3016)+Radio shack(VU-90, VU-75) have simliar sized VHF/UHF combo antennas with similar performance, although the winegard antennas are probably a little better than those, especially when it comes to UHF gain. -- Keep in mind, While most Digital stations are on UHF currently, ABC Cincinnati(WCPO-DT) broadcasts on VHF 10, and in the future(after analog shut off) more stations will likely move their digital station to their current analog VHF channel.

For best results, mount antenna outdoors as high as reasonably possible and aim it towards the towers of the stations you wish to receive. Be sure to properly ground(many good threads on Grounding in the Hardware area of AVS). One heading should suffice from your location for all the Cincinnati stations. If you want to pull in Both Dayton+Cincinnati stations, you'll either need a rotor or seperate antennas on seperate feedlines with a a/b switch near your receiver to switch between antenna.

I'd try it without the preamp first though -- You might not need it -- Preamps can help, but sometimes they can hurt as well.

To try to answer your questions -- I'm North of Middletown - 12 Miles from Dayton antenna farm, 27~39 Miles from the Cincy/N KY TV towers and except for WSTR-DT/WCVN-DT/WKOI-DT, I can pull in all the Cincinnati/Dayton Digitals with decent results with a simple UHF folded dipole (Here's a pic: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=15-234 ) for UHF and Rabbit Ears for WCPO-DT 10 - With these antennas placed near a 2nd story window that faces the towers(East window for Dayton, South window for Cincinnati). I didn't notice any dropouts or reception problems with that setup when I was seeing how well it would do, but then again, I didn't check it for very long -- Just a couple of hours. Analog reception wasn't too great in comparison with this setup -- quite Ghosty+Snowy. For fun I also tried experimenting with an antenna in attic, and I really didn't get much of anything from there. I should mention, I'm in a small, steep forested valley which impairs my reception somewhat, however, the terrain issues aren't too bad towards Dayton+Cincinnati Towers.

As for what I actually use -- I posted a pic of it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...418&fullpage=1

No problems with any of the Dayton/Cincinnati stations with this -- No dropouts ! - I get excellent digital+analog reception with this setup -- I receive 21 Dayton/Cincinnati(and a couple of Columbus/Louisville stations on low-VHF) analogs most with excellent quality(as good as NTSC analog gets anyway), and 13 Digital stations(11 currently with HD or Fox widescreen) currently -- Due to their directional antenna pattern+low power, I only see WKOI-DT(TBN) when leaves are off trees. Yes, I receive 36 stations with it all the time, soon to be 37 I assume when WPTO-DT hits the airwaves.

The antenna on top in picture is a RS VU-210 antenna -- a large VHF-UHF combo - Boom is 16' long for reference - I put this one up in 1993 - still works like new -- w/rotor + Blonder-Tongue Preamp(80's vintage Galaxy Series Surburban II - About 20DB gain UHF, 10db gain VHF), mounted on top of a 40' tower -- I use the VU210 For Cincinnati+more distant stations - Including FM - when I can get them.

For Dayton+convienance so I don't have to wait for the rotor to rotate/etc I have a seperate antenna setup on a seperate feedline(using A/B switch near receiver to switch between Cincy/Dayton antennas), the antennas you see side mounted to tower are a 25 element UHF yagi(not sure of the brand - It's from the early 80's I believe+I found it in rafters in the garage) for UHF, and a "modified" CM3010+it's internal CM3038 preamp which I use for Dayton VHF/FM only. The CM3010 is pretty much a outdoor pair of rabbit ears, but it's fine for the Dayton VHF analogs+FM's - It's UHF section is particurarly poor+I wouldn't recommend it, which is why I removed the UHF section and hooked up a better UHF antenna to it's UHF input on the CM3010's internal circut board instead .... The setup is overkill for the most part -- except for getting watchable signals from stations like analog WBQC 25 UPN Cincinnati and WCMH 4 Columbus WAVE 3 Lousiville/etc ... I do however also need a decent setup to get good reception from WCVN-DT (KET/PBS in N KY).

Also -- I have these antennas hooked up to many different TV's and devices throughout the house, so I split the signal quite a bit(each split = about 3.5db of signal loss) therefore the preamp is quite helpful -- The terrain/trees I have here do seem to help attenuate the signals a bit before it gets to my antenna, If that weren't the case, Preamp overload would probably be a serious problem here where the nearby Dayton stations are concerned.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you did ask! I TRIED to make it short anyway ;-)

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 14379 Old 04-27-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
jeff.. that was great.. thanks for the info
post #543 of 14379 Old 04-27-2004, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim,

Let us know how it goes, we'll be glad to try to help if you run into any problems ... BTW --- If you get the OTA antenna up before you get your new display and or/receiver, If you optimize the setup for good analog reception(minmize Snow/ghosts as much as possible) with a "old fashioned" TV, chances are good you'll get good digital reception when you get your receiver as well. Also, if you get the receiver/STB before the TV, you should be able to hook it up to a Old fashioned analog TV(or VCR/etc) via composite or s-video inputs ...

Jeff
post #544 of 14379 Old 04-28-2004, 05:58 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Jkeane-I've heard that Tivo when recording OTA (in HD of course), has trouble scheduling via the guide cause the broadcast ID/code/show info isn't there for the most part. Have you tested this?
post #545 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

hugenbdd ( or DrDon or anyone who might know),

I had an idea regarding the Insight HD/DVR . I wonder if this idea might be a workaround enabling me to watch a live show while recording another... During the install could the cable guy install a splitter so that the DVR gets one feed and my STB or VCR gets another feed (with no converter in between)? That way I could change inputs on my TV to watch live via the other cable input. I realize that a slight drawback is that only the Motorola converter/DVR decodes thing like HD and premium channels, but wouldn't the TV or VCR pick up all the other channels and let me watch that feed while recording with the other feed? Is that a viable workaround to the situation?

Personally, I'm going to hold off for awhile on the DirecTV due to cost. I'll bet that setup will get much cheaper over the next year or so.
post #546 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
ItzMe..

Oh, sure. If you don't mind watching SD, that will work, since you won't be using the PVR to tune the channel being watched. You'll be limited to Insight's lower 70 channels.

Another, although slightly more expensive option, is to pick up an ATSC-only tuner and use that so you can watch OTA HD while you record. I've seen the Samsung 151s selling in the 100-200-dollar range on eBay...

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #547 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 05:54 AM

ItzMe
Yup, You could split, Again like Doc said, only SD and lower 70 channels. I also think that the 6208 has a "passthrough" I haven't messed with it, but I noticed it was in the setup menu. A place to turn the pass through (cable) on and off. So the box itself may act as a splitter.

Now, you can still watch a recorded show and record a show at the same time...

Dave
post #548 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 05:57 AM

chrisdow--

I've set up all my season passes using the guide and while it's only been a week, I have not missed any shows and all that were supposed to be recorded in HD were in fact recorded that way. I do not have the satellite locals which are SD in my "Favorites" list so I don't choose them in error. I think for the most part, the Cinci stations do a pretty good job with their PSIP.

Jack
post #549 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Jack.. it's ATSC and DirecTV only, right? Does it do any NTSC?

post #550 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 06:12 AM

JKeane-The "unselected" D* locals is a good idea so not to have repeated recorded shows , But I thought a season pass depends this PSIP (i.e. program is a repeat or a first run) & now I can get little or no "show-info" at all (with my DTC100 anyway) - is this box magic or what? Really can't wait for it...CD
post #551 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

I think the box relies on DirecTV's APG, which is quite accurate with the DTV locals.

post #552 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 06:27 AM

For someone who grew up in the 1950's watching Flash Gordon, Jetsons, etc., and spending Saturdays on the roof with my dad trying to angle our antenna to get anything in color without sound bars and ghosts.....this box is definitely magic.

More to the point--I don't understand all the technical stuff at all, but I have full program info on the OTA DT stations and so far everything has worked very well.

Jack
post #553 of 14379 Old 04-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Doc--

Sorry I missed your earlier post regarding NTSC -- you are correct, it's Directv and ATSC only.

Jack
post #554 of 14379 Old 04-30-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have good news for fellow KET/WCVN-DT viewers :

KET (WCVN-DT - 54-4/KET4 - Covington, KY) is expanding their HD service! From the KET website/HD programming schedule ( here: http://www.ket.org/agency/dtv/programs.htm )

Beginning May 1, we're expanding our digital offerings with a full evening of prime-time programming from the PBS HD Channel every night: 7:00-11:00 pm ET on Sundays, and 8:00-11:00 pm ET Monday-Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------

I was hoping my 2,000th post could be a good one!

Way to Go KET! Thanks to William and everyone else at KET !

Jeff
post #555 of 14379 Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, that is good news for KET viewers. It'll be nice to have a backup for WCET 48-1. I'm still waiting for WPTO-DT to fire up on CH 28. Greater Cincinnati/Dayton is a PBS viewers dream for sure. Congradts on the 2000th post. I have a while to go myself

-----------
Robert
post #556 of 14379 Old 04-30-2004, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like KET started the new schedule a night early ....

Jeff
post #557 of 14379 Old 04-30-2004, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
but, the directv sd locals still come in right? so you will have both sd and digital versions of the locals? right?

thanks

jim

Quote:

Originally posted by jkeane
Doc--

Sorry I missed your earlier post regarding NTSC -- you are correct, it's Directv and ATSC only.

post #558 of 14379 Old 05-01-2004, 07:53 AM

Hi Jim--

You're correct--both the satellite SD locals and OTA digitals are received, just no OTA analog.

Jack
post #559 of 14379 Old 05-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

No HD golf from WKRC. WKRC-DT 12/31 Newsroom 513-763-5422
if anyone cares to call. I made mine.

post #560 of 14379 Old 05-01-2004, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unless the info from the calls aren't getting through to the right place, I wonder if they might be having problems - I have noticed recently(over the last week or so) that during CBS HD only I'm seeing what appears to be quite a few non-reception related dropouts from them.

BTW, WHIO-DT had the HD Golf when I first looked at 3:10pm.

Update: Been switching between Derby, Nascar+ Golf, but at 5:25pm its now HD on WKRC-DT ...

Jeff
post #561 of 14379 Old 05-01-2004, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
WKRC-DT has been having drop out problems over the last week. I hope they can fix it soon and not decide to wait and fix it when they drop WH at the of the month.

-----------
Robert
post #562 of 14379 Old 05-04-2004, 06:16 AM

Anyone know anything about TWC plans to add Fox 19 HD signal?
post #563 of 14379 Old 05-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

What we're hearing is that TWC and Insight will probably add them when they start passing real HD (as opposed to upconverted 480p) this fall.

Doc

post #564 of 14379 Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 PM

I got an LG LST-3510A OTA receiver/DVD player from from CC on 'open box' clearance for $389. The unit does not show the upconverted DVD through component video, though, so it's going back.

My Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna does not pull in ABC or KET. It has a little trouble without an antenna adjustment on WB and CET, so maybe it needs an amp, although there may be no helping ABC/VHF-10. Not sure if there was any KET HD on at the time.

The receiver has QAM cable tuning capability, and it picks up some networks, some digital radio stations, what must be an HBO or two, and some pay-per-view 4x3 movie channels (Hulk, Matrix, Cat in the Hat), but the pay-per-view programs hop around.

It was nice to see that CET is showing some PBS HD channel. I sent CET an e-mail through their website tonight re their station ID bug, telling them it's too bright relative to the PBS bug. I think KET on cable was without a bug, and simply seeing the PBS HD bug was much better.

When football season starts, I may get an OTA-only unit or give Insight another chance.
post #565 of 14379 Old 05-04-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

whozep,

Keep in mind, the Silver Sensor is not a VHF antenna. Rabbit ears would likely work better for you for WCPO, you can combine a VHF+UHF antenna using a VHF/UHF joiner such as the CM0549 -- RS has one too, I can't think of the # presently. FWIW, I can Get WCPO-DT just fine from up here(32 miles) with Rabbit ears near a South facing window.

WCET-DT (CET-HD) Airs PBS HD channel on 48-1 every night 7-11pm.

WCVN-DT (KET - 54-4) now airs PBS HD channel every night(Including tonight), 8-11pm Mon-sat, 7-11pm Sunday. They had some problems with A/V sync/etc. Fri-Sun Night, but it's been fine the last 2 nights, and previously back to Jan 03 when they first started doing PBS HD. Yes, Currently there is no local bug on KET4 for PBS HD channel(there are also no local bugs from any of WPTD-DT's Dayton's program services currently, BTW Including PBS HD channel(6pm-6am nightly from them) . WCVN tower is in Taylor Mill, KY Just North of I-275. Again, FWIW -- I get them just fine up here from 39 miles, takes a decent outdoor setup from here, though ...

WCET's antenna pattern does not favor your direction, WB(WSTR-DT) digital is at low power presently, I expect that might account a bit for your need for antenna adjusting for them, especially given that you're using a lo-gain indoor antenna(which should be fine at your distance for the "most part"). Especially as WLWT-DT 35(remap 5.1)/WCET-DT 34(remap 48.x) are broadcasting from the SAME tower, and on 1st adjacent channels.

You could try it, it might help, but generally I would not recommend a amp from your distance as the preamp could easily be overloaded. Using a amp with indoor antennas often doesn't work out so well either as you'll probably just end up amplifing noise(RFI/etc+Multipath echos), so instead I would recommend finding a "sweet spot" for the antenna(near window facing the towers for stations you want to receive is often a good spot), or even better would be if you can get a outdoor antenna(directonal) set up.

Hope some of this helps, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to improve your reception(If you do go OTA this fall), though.

Jeff
post #566 of 14379 Old 05-05-2004, 01:40 AM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
Ohio viewers seem to have more consistant success getting KET than Florence viewers. It just depends on your location. If you are up on the flat such as the level of the Florence building on Ewing Blvd you should be OK with an outside antenna. I'm down in a hole with hills between me and the station and have problems. You should be able to get all the other stations OK with an outside UHF antenna, even WCPO-DT on channel 10.

Note that even though your LG LST-3510A has QAM, it cannot receive scrambled signals. 1080i DVD output on the component output is automatically reduced to 480i/p if the disk is copy protected. The 1080i output from the DVI connector remains at 1080i for copy protected DVDs.
Even though the DVD output is upscaled to 1080i, and the picture is hopefully improved, it is still not equal to true HD.

Clarke
post #567 of 14379 Old 05-05-2004, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ClarkeR
It just depends on your location.

Certianly. Especially In our area where there is hilly terrain(especially nearby steep hills right in the signal path), where you are can make a BIG difference. Generally speaking though, the closer you are to the towers, the more likely it is the signal can "see over" those hills to your antenna. WCVN's(KET) tower however is not as high as the others, which are 400-800 FT higher, and the closer and steeper the hill involved is to you, the easier it is to get "skipped over", or the more likely it is you are having to rely on a "shaky" bounce for the signal, which might even be more problematic if you're close to the tower as I'd expect there could be a LOT of bouncing of strong signals going around.

If I recall correctly, you are in an especially difficult spot terrain wise when it comes to WCVN, even though you are fairly close to the tower. Still, even though you are having problems with a hi-gain rooftop antenna, wouldn't be surprised if you could move an antenna such as this around(even indoors) and find a "sweet spot" for good reception from WCVN-DT : http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...duct_id=15-234

I suppose Multipath could be a more difficult issue in some situations when you're quite close to the towers. I've even seen it years ago with analog from the Price hill area+Cincy Towers -- From on TOP of the hill with no obstructions - Oddly enough, from that location, WCVN 54 was easiest to get the best signal from - With a outdoor, directional antenna(RS-VU-90 if I recall correctly. Some of The Cincy Analog signals - Especially WXIX - the closest were just "bouning around" all over the place and creating horrible ghosting even though one could SEE the towers.

Still, if it is true that in general, Folks in Florence have more difficulty with WCVN than is the case in Ohio/etc, I would still have to wonder about the possibility that there might be something else Odd(interference related issues) going on.

In any event, looks like where multipath is concerned, they are making significant improvements on the receiver end -- Here are a couple of recent articles:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=421

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=416

Quote:

Originally posted by ClarkeR
You should be able to get all the other stations OK with an outside UHF antenna, even WCPO-DT on channel 10.

Probably so, for that matter, I'd guess many, if not most folks within 10-15 miles(excepting those in terrain or multipath challenged locations, or those in the null of WSTR's or WCET's directional antenna patterns) of the Cincy towers(even WCVN) can likely get decent results with simple indoor antennas, although some adjustment as well as likely the need to find a "sweet spot" for the antenna for good reception may be necessary in most situation for different stations.

I wouldn't really say you could count on a UHF antenna, even outdoors working well for WCPO-DT, although at 8-10 miles or so distant from the Tower as Florence is, I would agree there's a good chance it would, the same is true for a coathanger or a short piece of wire.

There is an interesting reception report using a settop amplifed antenna from Libery Twp/Butler co which popped up on hdtvpub on 4/30 which you might want to check out - WCPO-DT is missing, I'd guess the antenna he is using is UHF only. Even WCVN-DT is reported as being received, although it says he has to fiddle with the antenna to get it : http://www.hdtvpub.com/local/viewOTA...45042/dma_515/

Jeff
post #568 of 14379 Old 05-05-2004, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You WANT a bug for KET4????

I "forgot" to put one in.... now where is that disk?????

William
post #569 of 14379 Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lord no! It is a real treat to not have bugs on KET4 or currently from any of WPTD-DT Dayton's program services ... For however long it lasts ....

But, we can pretend its there if necessary I suppose

Jeff
post #570 of 14379 Old 05-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
But, we can pretend its there if necessary I suppose

I've drawn one on a post-it note I can stick on the side of the TV if that'll help.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page