Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #571 of 14635 Old 05-05-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll stick the MST3K guys just below the screen as well, then the people meter will have to add 3 more for my house

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 14635 Old 05-06-2004, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI, A update for this month's WKRC-DT HD-One movie schedule has just been posted at http://www.cincinnatihdtv.com at the following thread:

http://www.cincinnatihdtv.com/forums...ic.php?p=60#60

The jist of it is, Instead of as previously scheduled on sat night, "STII: WOK" Will air in HD on WKRC-DT on Sunday, May 9 at 12 Noon.

Thanks for the update weasel

Jeff
post #573 of 14635 Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone from TWC read this forum? I emailed and called again about EspnHD and still same answer. They are looking into it. I hear this quarter possibly, but who really knows?
post #574 of 14635 Old 05-06-2004, 07:37 PM

Mike,

I spoke with TWC today. Doesn't look good on ESPNHD anytime soon. Certainly not this quarter. Appears ESPN wants more $$$ then TW wants to pay.

Also I spoke with a Engineer that told me they are currently testing the HDDVR in the office. Maybe a month or 2 for those to be ready.

NOTE: On this forum, my thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are my own and do not represent those of the staff, management, or ownership of my employer.
post #575 of 14635 Old 05-07-2004, 04:53 AM

Hmm, I hope they will make up their mind soon. I wonder how much they want to charge per subscriber? Thats great news about the HD DVR. Thanks for the info.
post #576 of 14635 Old 05-09-2004, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, don't know what happened to HD-One/STII, all I'm getting is infomericals from WKRC-DT 12-12:10pm 5/9.

Jeff
post #577 of 14635 Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
On the other hand, a nice surprise as WKEF-DT is carrying NBC's boxing in hi-def. I had no idea it was even planned. Must've missed the memo.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #578 of 14635 Old 05-09-2004, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Me neither. You gotta love that new autoswitcher at KEF.

WKRC-DT did have about 10 seconds of the beginning of STII about 12:58pm(mostly the promo), but they switched back to infomericals. I think its about 2.5 hours, if so they would have had to start it by 12:30 for the Golf at 3pm. Hopefully they can reschedule, as I was really looking forward HD for STII. Someone in another thread caught it out in CA last night and commented that the PQ was very good, the transfer(well, more like the print itself) didn't look so good last month for ST:TMP.

Back to the outdoor work ...

Jeff
post #579 of 14635 Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Is TWC offering a HD cable box with firewire out? Is it enabled?

Does TWC post the make/model of their current cable boxes that they are offering?

Thanks,
Mark
post #580 of 14635 Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 AM

Due to a "snafu" the HD-One/STII movie will not be seen this month. If I get any new info I will post it.

NOTE: On this forum, my thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are my own and do not represent those of the staff, management, or ownership of my employer.
post #581 of 14635 Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the follow up WHweasel.
--------------------------------

Concerning WPTO-DT -- Not that it means much of anything, but I did notice today that both Antennaweb+TitanTV show them as "testing" now ...

Last we heard (here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post3582067 ) looked like at the end of March anyway, they were planning for a Mid-may on air date, that is, if the weather+tower work co-operated ...

Jeff
post #582 of 14635 Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MarkV
Is TWC offering a HD cable box with firewire out? Is it enabled?

Does TWC post the make/model of their current cable boxes that they are offering?

Thanks,
Mark

The Pace DC-550 is the current box that I am aware of that TW Cinci is using. That model is NOT Fireware capable. The Pace DC-551 is the model your wanting. Seems to be a very new model as product literature is not even available yet.

The Pace DC-551 HD is among the first HDMI HD set-tops in the industry. The Pace DC-551 HD is available with dual 1394 ports. The Pace DC-551 HD builds on to the feature set the Pace DC-550 HD has.

Call TW and tell them that your needing it and they may help. I pestered them for months and finally got the PACE 550 and now it has become a standard.

As a side note,

What application are you wanting to use fireware from your cable box for?

post #583 of 14635 Old 05-10-2004, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Either JVC30/40k and/or 1394->PC (preferred). I believe I've seen reference to an HD tivo-like box coming in a quarter or so.
post #584 of 14635 Old 05-11-2004, 07:21 AM

Hi gang,

Have there been any updates on higher power/new antenna for 64-1? I got my HD tivo hooked up last night, and one interesting feature of the box is that the signal strength meter is showing MUCH higher for 64-1 than any of my other boxes ever have. Almost got a lock, but not quite, consistently hitting around 30-40% whereas on the HTL-HD it's usually between 3-9.

I'm thinking with a better antenna, and perhaps a rotor, I could pull them in. I know I'm in the worst part of the null for them ATM, but I'm getting *so close*. :-)

All of our other Cincy/NKy channels seem much more stable as well, I'm impressed with the tuner in this box so far.

thanks,
Dave
post #585 of 14635 Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew if TWC here in cincinnati was planning on adding TNT HD on May 21st as some of the other TWC affiliates like Memphis and Houston etc. Also I was wondering if anyone knew of the plans for other new HD stations (other than ESPN) like Fox, WB, BravoHD+, StarzHD, CinemaxHD, or any other one that you might know.
post #586 of 14635 Old 05-11-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Grazant,

Just as a FYI, Our local digital WB affilaite, WSTR-DT does not do WB HD yet -- it's just 480i 4x3 SD so far. Local Fox digital WXIX-DT does do Fox Widescreen(which isn't HD - it's ED). I don't know, but I think TW may carry them sometime after Fox starts doing HD in a few months.

Quote:

Originally posted by dt_parker
Hi gang,

Have there been any updates on higher power/new antenna for 64-1? I got my HD tivo hooked up last night, and one interesting feature of the box is that the signal strength meter is showing MUCH higher for 64-1 than any of my other boxes ever have. Almost got a lock, but not quite, consistently hitting around 30-40% whereas on the HTL-HD it's usually between 3-9.

I'm thinking with a better antenna, and perhaps a rotor, I could pull them in. I know I'm in the worst part of the null for them ATM, but I'm getting *so close*. :-)

Dave,

Hopefully someone else has some info and can post, but I haven't heard anything concerning WSTR-DT 33(remap 64-1)--- It does Sound like you are getting awfully close with the new box. I'd guess probably just a couple db(if that much) away from getting a lock on them. A bit of antenna aiming(that might be your best shot), or a antenna with a bit higher gain, or higher gain+better directivity+antenna aiming might do the trick. If you're using a splitter somewhere, even taking that out might do it. If you manage it, I think you'll be the first one from that area to pull them in, that I know of or who has posted in the Cincy threads anyway.

I do wonder though if having WCET-DT 34 on 1st adjacent channel to WSTR-DT+throwing 215KW ERP in your direction, with WSTR-DT only throwing a few hundred watts ERP(given their STA+antenna pattern) in your direction might make it somewhat difficult for your receiver to be selective enough to pull out WSTR-DT. While DT stations on adjacent channels seems to work very well for the most part, that's a big difference and a few hundred watts on UHF isn't much ... Shouldn't be as bad as the following, but it would be "Sort of" like trying to hear a fairly weak station on 710AM when your driving by WLW along I-75 near the old Bethany VOA site.

So I wonder, presently if you see any improvement in the reading from 64-1 after WCET-DT goes off air nightly around 11pm or so, if so, that might tell you something.

Who knows, hopefully someday it might even be more worth your effort if they ever start passing through WB HD ... I had heard recently in the "news" that Sinclair has purchased the equipment necessary to outfit most of their stations to do HD, I don't know if that "most" includes WSTR at this point or not. Also, I do think Their SD does look quite good these days as well however, especially for the WB 64 news given their new gear.

Anyhow, Good luck+let us know if you get them in.

Jeff
post #587 of 14635 Old 05-12-2004, 07:01 AM

Jeff,

Thanks, I think I will try removing my splitter tonight, just as a test. Rotating my antenna is something of a pain - 28' extension ladder, unbolt the clamps and turn - it's mounted to the side of the house. When I had it installed a few years back, the installer adjusted for max signal from analog 64, but I have moved it around a time or two to check out reception from Dayton and the like - still, I'm pretty close ATM to where it was aiming originally. I've wanted to get a better antenna and rotor for sometime, you may recall. Now that I've got a job again, these things become a little easier....

I know that there is currently no real gain by picking up the 64-1 digital in terms of content. At this point, it's more of a quest for me just to see if I can do it :-) I'm gonna need a better antenna and rotor anyway to get Dayton reliably...

You're probably right about the adjacent channel signal being something of an issue. I got enough of a lock on 64-1 to see the PSIP remap on my old
Sammy T150. As I recall, it happened late at night.

Dave
post #588 of 14635 Old 05-12-2004, 07:11 AM

dt_p,
LUCKY GUY - Where'd you get HD-Tivo?
Signed,
jealous & on pre-order at BB & GG...
post #589 of 14635 Old 05-13-2004, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grazant
I was wondering if anyone knew if TWC here in cincinnati was planning on adding TNT HD on May 21st as some of the other TWC affiliates like Memphis and Houston etc. Also I was wondering if anyone knew of the plans for other new HD stations (other than ESPN) like Fox, WB, BravoHD+, StarzHD, CinemaxHD, or any other one that you might know.

Man I sure would like to know that as well. I email and call TWC every week about ESPN HD. I am sure they are tired of hearing from me, but I don't care. I pay them a lot of money and I want more HD channels. I think most people are even willing to pay a few dollars. I'd pay $2 a month for ESPN HD. I pay $6.95 for the 4 extra HD channels. I wish they would get with the program.
post #590 of 14635 Old 05-13-2004, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisdow
dt_p,
LUCKY GUY - Where'd you get HD-Tivo?
Signed,
jealous & on pre-order at BB & GG...

Ordered May 7, 2-day air, received May 10, a day early. CC has been blowing them out the doors, it seems.

From the sound of things over in TiVoCommunity, BB is shipping today, so you should have yours before too long. :-)
Dave
post #591 of 14635 Old 05-13-2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Looks like we may be in luck!!!!

TV Guide Online now lists channel 969 for TWC Cincy as TNT HD!!!! There's no programming on it now nor does it show up on the TWC program guide nor website. But let's hope we get it next week for the NBA playoffs.
post #592 of 14635 Old 05-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Wow that is great news. I never even thought to look there. I hope it is true! I posted it to my site as well.
Thank you!
post #593 of 14635 Old 05-14-2004, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They mentioned near end of WCPO noon local news today that they will be in their New Studios on Monday. So, hopefully we'll get DD5.1 from them before too long.

--------------------------------------
"Goodbye to the Future of Rock and Roll ...."

Jeff
post #594 of 14635 Old 05-14-2004, 12:01 PM

Hey CincySaint thanks for the info I am excited to see how much of TNT's regular content will be broadcast in HD like movies and such. I have heard they should start broadcasts on May 21st but maybe we will get some tests sooner than that. I also heard that WCPO is moving this weekend and will not be having regular news broadcasts. Hopefully DD 5.1 will be up next week. This should be a good week for Cincinnati HDTV viewers. Thanks again.
post #595 of 14635 Old 05-14-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully DD 5.1 will be up next week.

I wouldn't think it will happen THAT soon. I imagine they have quite a bit of work to do to move+setup all the necessary equipment, while I assume -- staying on air(at least as much as possible) --- Who knows, but A few weeks, or a month or two might be more like it for DD 5.1 from WCPO-DT.

Jeff
post #596 of 14635 Old 05-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Well I'm pretty sure we're getting TNT HD now!!!!

Today I received as part of the Sunday paper an ad from TWC which includes TNT HD as part of their digital basic HD offerings.
post #597 of 14635 Old 05-16-2004, 11:46 AM

TNT HD will be on TWC Channel 969 Monday 17 May. A quick call to TWC confirmed this.

post #598 of 14635 Old 05-17-2004, 03:04 PM

I don't know if anyone else is receiving bad audio from WCPO 9. I don't have their Digital anymore, hopefully that will come back. I have called them and left a message about the audio, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one getting it.

Alex
post #599 of 14635 Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JY Dogg -- Yeah, noticed that during evening local 9 news. I imagine they might have some work to do working the bugs out at the new building.

WCPO digital has been off the air Since sometime yesterday, No ABC HD on Fri or Sat from them. Again, likely due to their move to the new building -- Move+set up equipment, new STL/etc. My guess is, they'll be working the bugs out with the analog/new control room/etc. before they have time to do much with the digital station.

Jeff
post #600 of 14635 Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 AM

Well after not seeing TNT-HD on my TWC I called and yelled. They had problems and it seems they will try again sometime on Wednesday of this week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page