4Likes

post #7381 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

Let us know if you need any help with this!

I am sure i will need help

Right now i want to attach the antenna to my chimney, i am looking at the Channel Master CM 3016 . I would like to share the same coax as the cable usees so i guess i will need a Diplexer (?).

My total run will be over 50 feet, do you think i will need an ampliphier.

See i need lot's of help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post

Right now i want to attach the antenna to my chimney, i am looking at the Channel Master CM 3016 . I would like to share the same coax as the cable usees so i guess i will need a Diplexer (?).

Since you're in NKY, I do believe that WSTR-DT is carried on Insight, but I may be wrong. Have you tried connecting even basic cable to your HDTV and do a scan? For getting locals only, this would actually be the easiest. But as far as amount of channels, OTA would be best.

I wouldn't combine the OTA signal and cable signal on the same coax. I would think that there would be some interference there that may prevent you from getting a solid signal. Since you're just wiring one TV, is it possible to run a coax just for the antenna?

Alex
post #7383 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 AM

I have not bought the HDTV yet, just trying to do the homework. Yes WSTR (64 RIGHT) is carried.

If i use a diplexer for running both cable and antenna on same coax would that work or is the diplexer just for a satalite
post #7384 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think a diplexer will work with cable, because the frequencies that cable uses overlap with the frequencies that your antenna will be receiving. I could be wrong on this but if my understanding of how they work is correct, then it won't work in your situation. That CM 3016 will most likely do fine for you for Cincinnati stations. You didn't mention the desire for Dayton channels, but that antenna may even receive some of them too. If you do desire the Dayton channels, you may want a larger antenna.

As for an amp, that is hard to say at this point. If you will be splitting the cable to multiple TVs it may be a good choice, or it also may help with the weaker Dayton channels. However it also may cause the Cincinnati stations to be too powerful as well. It's probably best to try without the amp first, and you can always try one later if you want.

Drop pay-TV. Put up an antenna. Enjoy free HDTV. Save $60-100 or more per month!
post #7385 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, WSTR (64 RIGHT) is carried.

Insight carries the analog feed of WSTR on channel 11. They do NOT carry the digital feed of the station (WSTR-DT) because the corporate office has not been able to reach an agreement with Sinclair (WSTR's parent company). Word is Sinclair wants more to carry their digital feeds. Lucky for us the station is a MyTV affiliate in Cincinnati so we aren't missing much HD by not having a digital feed of it on cable. If you have an ATSC tuner in your TV and a good antenna (or you are located close to the tower) you can always get it that way.

Bill R
post #7386 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansarar View Post

What new Dish channels are we getting in HD on the 15th?

Thanks!

"On Aug. 15, DISH Network will add seven national HD channels to its DishHD programming package, including MHD, featuring music programming from MTV, VH1 and CMT; Golf/Versus HD; Animal Planet HD; The Science Channel HD; TLC HD; Discovery HD, and History HD, which will debut on Sept. 1."

See this news article.

Bill R
post #7387 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input. I currently have the basic service from Insight , i want to upgrade to their next level (so the kids will have nick and disney and the wife will have HGTV). The only "HD" content i want is the local stations. I thought if the local HD was available through my QAM tuner that would be the most "simple" way to get the local HD stuff.

I haven't checked since December of 2006, but at that time I was able to get a few of the locals via QAM on insight and we only had the basic package (free w/ broadband service). We've since moved to DSL and don't have any cable to check it with. I'd give QAM a shot first and then look an antenna. Unless you have dual tuners, combining regular cable and OTA will be a PITA. I've been using OTA since 2002 with no issue. Once I had the antenna positioned properly in the attic, I havent had to go back, took a couple days of fiddlin' initially tho
post #7388 of 14411 Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input. I currently have the basic service from Insight , i want to upgrade to their next level (so the kids will have nick and disney and the wife will have HGTV). The only "HD" content i want is the local stations. I thought if the local HD was available through my QAM tuner that would be the most "simple" way to get the local HD stuff.

Based on what i have read i think i will go ahead and also get a good outdoor antenna to get the local HD on. I want (need) to be able to show some HD stuff with a stunning picture so i can justify the HDTV purchase (if you know what i mean).

If you live in Northern Kentucky, you're very close to downtown Cincy and I doubt you need an outdoor antenna. You should be able to get it all using the Terk HDTVa which last I checked, was 35 bucks on Amazon.com

I have it, and I pick up the Cincy stations STRONG from 25 miles away in Mason.
post #7389 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 AM

Today the Bengal's season starts. Let's hope that we get them in HD this year. Pro football always looks its best in HD and last year we got very few HD Bengal's games. WKRC has the game tonight.

Another football/HD problem always occured last year. When ever a station had to delay a network show they seemed unable to broadcast it in HD. So not only did we not get Bengals HD we also lost some of our network shows in HD.

You guys out there with brand new HD TVs this year be prepared to be disappointed on some game days whether it be your team in SD and not HD and at times the evening shows in SD also
post #7390 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 AM

CBS is doing more games in HD this year, so I am hoping we won't have to deal with any SD games for the whole regular season.
post #7391 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhughes63 View Post

Today the Bengal's season starts. Let's hope that we get them in HD this year. Pro football always looks its best in HD and last year we got very few HD Bengal's games. WKRC has the game tonight.

Looking at the schedule for the NFL HD channel (DISH Network channel 9426) this evening it does have the Bengals game scheduled for 12 AM (delayed broadcast) so they are the ones actually broadcasting the game and allowing WKRC to show it on a non-delayed broadcast. I do hope that WKRC shows it in HD, but looking at their schedule I can't tell.

When I called the station to ask some air-head told me that "all WKRC-DT programs are in HD".

Bill R
post #7392 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
couple of comments :

Bengals preseason game tonight :

As Bill mentioned, Noticed NFL network has the game at 12am, but with WKEF also scheduled to air the game live tonight(at least in my listings for them), and what it says here regarding WKRC having the game:

http://www.bengals.com/team/Schedule.asp

My best guess was/is that the teams regional TV "networks" (how they usually do the preseason games, when a network doesn't have it) had the rights and they were "allowing"(not quite the right word, as I suspect there is a good chance they're might be "fees", or some sort of other deal involved - which who knows could involve HD equipment for the production, which doesn't necessarily mean WKRC can/will air the game HD) NFL Network to air it, delayed.

------------

HD from Net when Football games go into Primetime/etc:

Doc, weasel or others might remember the specifics on this more than I do -- but I'll take a stab at it .... I don't know if there have been any improvements regarding this yet, however, as long as I've been watching HD, CBS hasn't had enough net to affilate paths that support HD bandwidth/bitrates to send the affiliates running the games that run into primetime a HD feed of the prime time shows, and very very few stations(anywhere not just in cincinnati) have the capability to time shift HD from any network, or the resources to do so on such a time sensitive basis regarding switching in the local ad breaks+making the changes necessary on such a quick basis .... In fact, if I recall correctly there may have been times when the CBS HD feed for primetime *IS* Delayed as well, in which cases(which are probably rare because that probably usually happens with the national feed) any affiliates not showing those games don't get HD when prime time begins either ...

We've still got quite a ways to go before HD becomes as common as NTSC SD color video ....

Jeff
post #7393 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Tonight's Bengals Preseason game will not be in HD. It is being produced by the Bengals and they have decided against doing preseason in HD. The only game in preseason to be HD will be the one on ESPN-HD (WKRC will carry this game and should be in HD, like last year). As much cash as Mike Brown has, he could atleast spend some to produce the games in HD.

Alex
post #7394 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
Beginning with the 2007 season, CBS will air five or six of Sunday's games in high-definition.

All games occuring Weeks 1, 5, 6, 9, 12 and 15 will be broadcast in high-definition.
post #7395 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

When I called the station to ask some air-head told me that "all WKRC-DT programs are in HD".

They obviously lied to you. The Bengals are on in SD tonight and Rob & Kit have never shown up in HD yet for the evening news.
post #7396 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Liked: 32
TheColts/Cowboys game on FOX in HD AND surround is EXCELLENT!!! Pretty boring Bengals game...
post #7397 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

According to Kiesewetter's blog August 29th is when we'll get ESPN2 HD & ESPNU. However while they're giving they are also taking away. ESPN Classic is moving digital and be on the digital value tier with ESPNU. They are going to leave Channel 32 empty (Fox Business Channel perhaps?) for the moment and some other channels are being moved around. You can read the post Here
post #7398 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM

I'm still new to the hd world, and i have a question. I was watching the bengals last night on channel 12 when I suddenly lost the digital signal on all my local channels. Does anyone know what caused this and how to fix it? Im with Dish at use a the VIP211 set top box with a terk antenna.
post #7399 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Reboot the box. Every once in a while the ATSC tuner locks up.
post #7400 of 14411 Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbUC View Post

Reboot the box. Every once in a while the ATSC tuner locks up.

And the way you reboot a ViP211 is hold the front panel power button in until it restarts.

Bill R
post #7401 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Along with comments from others I was VERY disappointed that the Bengals game wasn't in HD. I bought my 65" 1080p a month ago and have been waiting for the first Bengals game. As much a fan as I am I ended up switching to the Colts/Cowboys game for the wonderful picture.

I hope this isn't something to get used to once the regular season begins.
post #7402 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

Along with comments from others I was VERY disappointed that the Bengals game wasn't in HD. I bought my 65" 1080p a month ago and have been waiting for the first Bengals game. As much a fan as I am I ended up switching to the Colts/Cowboys game for the wonderful picture.

Check this out:
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...me-in-hdtv.asp
post #7403 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Along with comments from others I was VERY disappointed that the Bengals game wasn't in HD.

For what its worth the game wasn't in HD on the NFL HD channel at 12:00 AM. The pickup was from the Detroit CW station and the local broadcasters they used were really poor.

Bill R
post #7404 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
bill - did you watch the whole game? typically the nfl network runs the home broadcasters for the first half and then the visitor broadcasters for the second half.

jim
post #7405 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Check this out:
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...me-in-hdtv.asp

"All of the 16 regular season games probably will be in HDTV."

Thanks for the info. That's more than acceptable. I can live without HD for the preseason as long as it will be HD when the bullets are real.
post #7406 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Same thing last year when my HDTV was new. Many games on CBS were in SD as well as delayed network shows. I hear things are improving this year.. More HD than last year. Some syndicated shows like Jeopardy and the Wheel are now on local HD. There is some talk that a local news show will be switching to HD also. Time will tell.
post #7407 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Anyone else in here get the locals via a QAM tuner from Aelphia, now TW system(s)??? The unencrypted channels??? For me NBC goes off air @ 8PM sharp and does not return for hours. Anyone else notice this??? Does this happen when using a TW box instead of your own QAM tuner???

I'm not Adelphia, but I've been wrestling with this problem for 9 months now. Made contact with TWC and KET engrs, and am slowly making some headway.

For your information, what happens at 8PM is KET4, which is muxed into the same transport stream as WLWT by TWC, switches from SD to HD. When that occurs my set refuses to decode ANYTHING on that channel until KET4 ends their HD programming.

I would be VERY interested in knowing what make/model set you are using. I have recently come across info that there may be a firmware problem with certain LG sets.

I would also be VERY interested in contact info, as that would help me to convince TWC/KET/LG that this isn't an isolated occurance. I will PM you my info.

And anyone else having a problem with the WLWT+KET clear qam stream, please post your experience here!

Thanks
post #7408 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

bill - did you watch the whole game? typically the nfl network runs the home broadcasters for the first half and then the visitor broadcasters for the second half.

jim

Jim,

No, I didn't. The Bengals game is being re-broadcasted on Tuesday at 10 AM on the NFL channel. I may record it just to see if they do that.

Bill R
post #7409 of 14411 Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As of today no one from TW has been in contact with me about any issues with the KET4 feed. I will say that when we first went on the air in 2002 TW Cincy did have an issue where they didn't allocate enough bandwidth to the KET4 feed to support the HD feed. I did work with one of their engineers to fix that issue but that's been a while ago.
post #7410 of 14411 Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 AM

Mr. Smith -

In case you have not guessed, I am the person you exchanged emails with mid-july (Mike C. put me in touch with you). I copied some qam dtv captures to your ftp site on 7/13 as you requested; did you get a chance to run your analysis tool on them? I received no response to my follow-up email on 7/18...

re: TWC - I'm not surprised, as it has been an uphill battle trying to convince them there IS an issue. I eventually managed to speak with Mike B. (TWC head-end engr) who understood the issues I presented (interesting side note: he said they had similar probs with wcet at one time), but none-the-less still wanted field tech to come out and check signals and bit error rates (which came out clean as I expected they would). I spoke with Jack U. (TWC field engr) Friday, and I believe he's going to get back with Mike B. next week.

FYI - I had a nice phone conversation with 'splicer010' - He's out in Blanchester (one of the Adelphia folk TWC acquired) receives the WLWT+KET mux on channel 105, and (as he posted) has the same problem with it that I experience with that mux on channel 84 here in Fairfield. He also has ANOTHER problem with that stream - his receiver/decoder (also made by LG) seems to have trouble tieing the correct audio to the differant video streams in that particular mux. I found this to be interesting, as I have a _possibly_ related issue with my AccessDTV PC card and that mux.

I would suspect that this is an interoperabilty problem with LG chipsets, except that my AccessDTV card doesn't use them. Specifically:
LG 30FS4D - LGDT3033 8vsb/qam demod, LGDT1102C decoder (from service manual)
AccessDTV - Nxtwave (now ATI) nxt2000 demod, Teralogic Janus decoder
However, so far (with a sample size of two) it appears only LG chipsets show the _reproducable_ problem with that TWC mux and the KET4 SD->HD transition.

I was toying with the idea of contacting the two authorized LG service shops here in Cincy and seeing if I could get them to test any clear-qam capable LG sets they get in for repair against the 8PM KET4 transition (assuming they have a TWC feed in their shops). That might give some indication as to how *potentially* widespread the issue is, and help counter the 'if there was a problem we'd have heard about it already' response I keep getting from everyone.

There IS a problem. For whatever reason(s), people experiencing it are not elevating / reporting it. Frankly, I suspect many of the 'consumers' who have discovered that their set actually receives some digital channels are simply figuring that the only way they can _legally_ get these clear-qam channels off the cable is to pay TWC for HD service, and so aren't reporting problems they have with the unencrypted feeds out of fear (TWC doesn't exactly advertise the fact that these unencrypted feeds are available to EVERYONE).

Anyway, I'm glad to see you post a reply here, and hope we can work together to resolve this issue.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page