Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #751 of 14409 Old 06-26-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes -- Too funny. Certianly Could be the planes - especially since you've had that problem too -- I was just throwing out some other ideas of things to try that MIGHT be a factor. Also -- Here though -- I'm not as close to an airport as you guys, and the planes aren't as big (well, except for some of the ones flying into wright patt, but there usually not all that low)-- Airport here is 5 miles from me -- but the traffic pattern does put a lot of planes near me+ quite low, since I'm at 800FT and the airport is at 650 ft -- The DC-3's that fly out of there make for some really interesting looking "ghosts") ... so I get planes Flying through signal path all the time -- Really messes up analogs with nasty looking "fluttery" ghosts that move the pic around - WCVN 54 analog is one that is often especially affected it semes , but the DT's(Including WCVN-DT) are rock Solid.

And you're right -- Leaves don't make a big difference in attenuation -- and usually it's the higher frequencies + more distant viewers that would be affected the most by leaves ... but, if you're on the edge(or over it) of getting to much signal(s) it can make a difference.

It does for me anyway, for Dayton (12 miles) between Summer+Winter. As one example -- To keep FM receiver from having desense problems with antenna aimed towards Dayton -- I have to have 13db of attenuation before FM receiver in the winter time, but only 10db atteunation in Summer. If I don't trap out 2 on my Hi-gain antenna(which I don't normally use for Dayton) in Winter Time the meter bounces all over the place on WBDT-DT 18 with dropouts -- Trap out 2 just a little and it's rock solid at 100% - Weak analogs WRCX-LP 40, WWRD-LP 55 and W47BC get a lot cleaner+less snowy too with 2, 7+FM trapped out ....

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 14409 Old 06-27-2004, 04:31 AM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did some testing yesterday, and the planes do cause drop outs on WCVN-DT and only on WCVN-DT, none of the other channels. The picture drops out when the plane is directly in front of the antenna. I can't check WCVN analog because I can't receive it except on rare occassions. I am convinced that wnen I receive WCVN-DT I am receiving a reflection or bonce and that I don't have any line of sight reception. This may account for the winter change in direction toward the south.

The Blake JBX14 is lower gain and wider beam width than the high gain, narrow beam width, JBX21. If I remember correctly, the beamwidth is about 60 degrees which is way I selected it over the JBX21.

My current STB is an SIR-T151 which I don't plan to replace until the next generation of receivers is released. I have tried various levels of attenuation with both fixed attenuators and a Radio Shack variable attenuator. I have also tried it with and without a CM 7777 pre-amp. WCVN-DT seems to do better with the pre-amp in the circuit. However, note that the antenna is pointed toward WCVN-DT, not the Cincinnati antenna farm. Also note that when the antenna is pointed at WCVN-DT, the closest trees with leaves are about 800 feet away.

Louisville, Lexington, and the other close KET stations are not possible because I am on the north slope of a hill that blocks all reception in that direction.

Clarke

Clarke
post #753 of 14409 Old 06-27-2004, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Clarke, Sorry about that got the Blake #'s mixed up ...

If you pretty much can't get the analog at all, that explains a lot, I did not know that ..

I'd guess then, that what's helping you out with WCVN-DT as compared to the analog is the lower frequency. When you have a hill that close and are on the wrong side of it - and given the height of Transmitting/receiving antennas -- just not enough signal there for your antenna to grab, and not enough "room" for the signal to "bend around it" a little (The lower the frequency, the easier it is for the signal to get over the hill) I would expect.

As you noted earlier -- More power from them would probably help you a little too -- although not as much as if the antenna were higher ...

So, with little signal to work with, any little thing can drop SNR below threshold(uncorrectable multipath is seen by receiver as just "noise" too). I've seen such "signal holes" a lot -- With UHF -- as close as 4-12 miles from TALL towers(but hiller/steeper terrain than I think you're dealing with) ... ....

A higher gain antenna w/ a narrower beamwidth(JUST FOR WCVN-DT - You could use a jointenna to combine it with your "main" antenna) would probably help you out ... Hard to say if it would be worth it and help enough though given that you aren't getting the analog at all ...

I thought I had looked at a terrain profile for your location once, and it didn't look too bad for WKON-DT 44, Owenton, KY (Roughly to your SW about 40 miles or so), but I could be remembering it wrong. I'm sure you've already tried it, but thought I'd mention it just in case ...

You might be in a great spot for a E-VSB test if they approve it -- I'd read the threshold needed for "robust" mode E-VSB is something like 6db less ....

Jeff
post #754 of 14409 Old 06-27-2004, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hey gang I am about to go antenna shopping - it looks like the only station that is still vhf is abc 9 - wcpo - will that change in the future? Will 9 go uhf like the rest or will the rest go vhf? Should I get a uhf/vhf antenna or will a uhf pick up 9 as well? I am looking at the radio shack - vu-120 and vu-80. I am in maineville (23 or so miles away from cincinnati) - I am probably going to have to put this thing in the attic because of the w.a.f - but if I only need uhf then maybe the uhf only model will work.. thanks for all you advice so far! can't wait to join the hdtv revolution!

jim
post #755 of 14409 Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Jim..
It's not likely to change. I'm closer to you, but I'm not using a VHF antenna currently. WCPO-DT still comes in at about 80%. It's 100% when I use the combo. In any case, you have a good 3 - 4 years (or more) before analog shutoff. I'd go with a combo at your distance.

As for the rest of the stations, the last time I spoke with the various chief engineers, at analog shutoff WLWT was going with 35 but WKRC would stay with 12. And I think WCPO-DT will revert to 9, not that it matters since digital is on 10. Again, that's a ways off. It appears VHF broadcasters below 7 will abandon their VHF assignments, since the lower VHF band is more prone to interference (cars, vacuum cleaners and the like). Stations that are already UHF will most likely opt for the lower channel assignment. WSTR will HAVE to go with 34 as 64 is in the part of the television band that's set to be completely abandoned.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #756 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 02:29 AM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
Jeff,
I've tried Owenton, but as a said in my post, the highest part of the hill between me an the towers is to the South & Southwest which makes Owenton, Lexington, & Louisville just about impossible. The hill falls away to the North & NNE but climbs just about the direction of WCVN-DT. I can see the tower at CVG so I should be able to get Dayton if I really wanted to try, 4248, etc.

Clarke
post #757 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WCVN analog has 2 degrees of beam tilt while WCVN-DT has .5 degrees of beam tilt. Results in more power toward the horizon.
post #758 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, I prefer about 120 degrees of Beam tilt, otherwise, some gets left in the bottle...

post #759 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks alot Jeff and DrDon.

Very good information. I will definately use your advice and let you know my outcome.

Even though this was not OTA... Watched Yankees / Mets last night on ESPN HD... WOW!! I cannot wait for football season...
post #760 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 AM

I checked out WPTO-DT last night. It seemed to come in well with no pixelation or dropout issues.

I'm just under 50 miles away from the towers in Cincy using combined CM4221's with a 7777 preamp in my attic.
post #761 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed that WPTO-DT dropped to 2 SD services Sat+sunday night when HD was scheduled per their website, but when I checked at least there was no HD during that time on 14-6 -- Just a blank screen. That's happened occasionally on WPTD-DT 16-6, so maybe they're still working the bugs out ...

------------------------------------

I probably end up approaching more like 140~145 degrees beam tilt at the point the bottle gets that low ...

Maybe if Doc would put a big passive reflector up on his roof it would help Clarke out with WCVN

I'm probably benifiting from the difference in beam tilt from WCVN-DT/WCVN, as well as the lower frequency on Ch 24 -- as perhaps Clarke is too. Here, at 39 miles with some terrain issues WCVN analog is generally fairly snowy(but it varies with band conditions - Sometimes its quite snowy with "dead band" conditions and the leaves on the trees+in a heavy rain), WCVN-DT is allways perfect, but is probably my weakest local DT signal -- If I add about 8db of attenuation into the feedline, it drops below a lock -- I'd have to attenuate about 50db or more for the rest - Except for WKOI-DT(13 Miles) -- Which I only get above a lock when the leaves are off the trees in Winter -- I have an especially difficult terrain issue towards Oxford, and a forest of trees starts only 15feet from my antenna. WKOI analog booms in, but I also expect the lower antenna height from the DT as well as their directional antenna pattern that doesn't send much my way has something to do with it.

I do know when I was installing the present antenna 10 years ago - I had planned to put it about 3 feet lower than it is .. but I pretty much lost WCVN and ended up raising it 3 feet to be able to get it, my guess is mostly because of hills out a bit from me in that direction(but it's not too bad to the South here -- West/NW and directly east are another story), and also because I expect I'm very much on the fringe for them.

Jeff
post #762 of 14409 Old 06-28-2004, 11:25 AM

I too noticed that HD was missing on WPTO when I checked.
post #763 of 14409 Old 07-01-2004, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang, while I am waiting for my Directv STB and High def tv.. I have been looking at OTA options.. I am about 20-25 miles from the antenna "farms" out in maineville - I can get the analog stuff fairly well with a simple set of rabit ears - so I figure for the digitals I should be ok - I checked the contour maps and I am actually about 50 feet above the base elevations of the towers with no hills in the way- problem is the WAF - looks like I am going to try an inside attic mount - I am looking at the Channel Master 3010 or 3030. I am assuming since it will be an attic mount, the larger 3030 will help overcome the fact that its inside - Is that a correct assumption? Also I have read alot of Radio Shack antenna bashing.. I was also looking at the VU-90 as well. Any advice anyone has would be appreciated!

thanks!

jim
post #764 of 14409 Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by 1450kHz
I too noticed that HD was missing on WPTO when I checked.

WSTR-DT has been missing audio as of yesterday evening. Could this be a sign of an upgrade to full HD? I sure hope so.

-----------
Robert
post #765 of 14409 Old 07-02-2004, 01:01 PM

Just a FYI...

The pulsing graphics have been resolved on WKRC-DT as of Tuesday evening.

Weasel

NOTE: On this forum, my thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are my own and do not represent those of the staff, management, or ownership of my employer.
post #766 of 14409 Old 07-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

What caused it? Out of curiosity. And much thanks for your hard work and communication with the rest of us. QUITE appreciated. Beer's on me. And you know where to find me .

Doc

post #767 of 14409 Old 07-03-2004, 08:00 AM

I tried to search this thread, but may have missed something in its 39 pages... :-)

I am about to pull the trigger on an HD set (Sony KV-32HS420). I live in a complex that makes it nearly impossible to DirectTV or use an antenna, so i am thinking TW. I currently have just cable ready service (since i have a TiVo). so...

1. If i understand correctly, with DigiPic service and an HD STB from TW I can get local HD and some others at no additional cost. There is also a HD tier I could add. How much do they charge for the STB?

2. Are there different HD STB's? Which should I get? Do any support an HDMI/HDCP Interface?

3. With Digital cable... do you still have a cable ready line as well (I would like to use my TiVO without a STB). Alternative 2: Can you get a second non-HD STB for a TiVo/VCR. I realize the TiVo cannot be used with HD signal.

TW's web site does not have much info, I would appreciate any insight from other TW-HD users, especially suggestions from TiVo Users.

Thanks!
post #768 of 14409 Old 07-03-2004, 08:50 AM
cmf

Quote:

Originally posted by bsherm
1. If i understand correctly, with DigiPic service and an HD STB from TW I can get local HD and some others at no additional cost. There is also a HD tier I could add. How much do they charge for the STB?

I have the setup you describe. The digital HD STB/remote is 7.95/month. The HD tier is crap; all it has is InHD1 & 2 and HDNet and HDNet Movies. I tried it for 3 months and dropped it because there was nothing I ever wanted to watch in real time. Like you, I've come to depend on time-shifting via our TiVos, so if I can't do that, I have to *really* want to watch it to sit down at the right time and suffer through all the commercials.

Quote:

2. Are there different HD STB's? Which should I get? Do any support an HDMI/HDCP Interface?

Supposedly, the Pioneer does, but I've yet to get it to work. Not that it really matters to me: the component output looks excellent to me (Samsung DLP) and my HTPC uses the DVI anyway.

Quote:

3. With Digital cable... do you still have a cable ready line as well (I would like to use my TiVO without a STB). Alternative 2: Can you get a second non-HD STB for a TiVo/VCR. I realize the TiVo cannot be used with HD signal.

Digital cable only refers to the channels above 77 (or around there). Whatever your TiVo can tune in with Standard cable will still be tunable even when digital cable is enabled. Just realize that without feeding the TiVo from the cable box, you won't be able to record anything above channel 77. I haven't mucked around with hooking a TiVo up to our cable box (the IR channel-switching stuff just is so kludgey), but I know it can be done.

HTH.
post #769 of 14409 Old 07-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cmf

Digital cable only refers to the channels above 77 (or around there). Whatever your TiVo can tune in with Standard cable will still be tunable even when digital cable is enabled. Just realize that without feeding the TiVo from the cable box, you won't be able to record anything above channel 77. I haven't mucked around with hooking a TiVo up to our cable box (the IR channel-switching stuff just is so kludgey), but I know it can be done.

Thanks!

I realized the TiVo would still only get cable-ready channels. If I want above 77 (but no HD) on the TiVo I would have to pay for another box. Are the non-HD boxes also $7.95?
post #770 of 14409 Old 07-03-2004, 09:24 AM
cmf

I don't know...I think the TW customer service peeps can help you out on that one. But really, compared to the cost of an HDTV, a few bucks a month shouldn't be a big concern. ;-)
post #771 of 14409 Old 07-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Hey guys, I just got a new HDTV (my 2nd one) a Sanyo 30" WS from Walmart. It has the OTA tuner built in. I am trying to get some OTA channels that TWC doest carry.... (Fox..., I know they are finally coming to TWC in Sept). So far I tried to go the cheap way and tried 2 Jensen antennas from BestBuy. 1st one had gain of 30 and it kinda sucksed so I got the 2nd one that has gain of 45 and while it's better I still get huge ups and downs in receptions.
By now I am thinking of putting in a bigger antenna in the atick to get better signal, hower I know nothing of what antenna/amp. I should use.

I live in Loveland, right on Butterworth/Rt48. (45140) According to antennaweb I am less then 20 miles from the stations that I want to receive.

Thanks
post #772 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
What caused it? Out of curiosity. And much thanks for your hard work and communication with the rest of us. QUITE appreciated. Beer's on me. And you know where to find me .

Doc

Doc,

It was caused by a VBV Buffer setting of 1000. Should have been set to 0. This was probably caused by bad GUI monitoring software I loaded about 5-6 weeks ago. I think that when it read the settings from the flexicoder it defaulted the VBV Buffer setting to something left over in the software and not to the setting that was there.

Weasel

NOTE: On this forum, my thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are my own and do not represent those of the staff, management, or ownership of my employer.
post #773 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WHweasel,

Looking good! I also noticed that after going down on Fri+coming back up sometime Sat morning, I'm getting improved "signal quality" readings from WKRC-DT. On my Zenith receiver for example, prior to Friday, it would fluctuate slightly between about 95%-100% -- Since Fri, its "pegging the meter" 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally posted by jim tressler
Hey gang, while I am waiting for my Directv STB and High def tv.. I have been looking at OTA options.. I am about 20-25 miles from the antenna "farms" out in maineville - I can get the analog stuff fairly well with a simple set of rabit ears - so I figure for the digitals I should be ok - I checked the contour maps and I am actually about 50 feet above the base elevations of the towers with no hills in the way- problem is the WAF - looks like I am going to try an inside attic mount - I am looking at the Channel Master 3010 or 3030. I am assuming since it will be an attic mount, the larger 3030 will help overcome the fact that its inside - Is that a correct assumption? Also I have read alot of Radio Shack antenna bashing.. I was also looking at the VU-90 as well. Any advice anyone has would be appreciated!

thanks!

jim

VU90 or CM3030 should be good options for you, I'd think. Strangely enough I no longer see any outdoor antennas listed on RS site, I hope they aren't discontinuing them. I've not had any problems with my VU-210(10 years old, tower mounted). While its true there are antennas out there that are better performers and have better build quality than some of the RS antennas --- For the most part you are not talking about a big difference. A difference in gain of 1 or 2db on say, ch 56 or a bit "tighter" pattern directivity wise isn't usually going to make much, if any difference.

I hadn't heard of CM3030 before + can't dig up the gain specs, but if this is it ( http://www.channelmaster.com/images/3030.jpg ) then I'd think it would be a good choice. If you're going into the attic, probably the biggest thing(VHF/UHF combo wise) you can get that will fit+allow you to aim it properly wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll of course need either a rotor(which probably isn't going to work too well with a VHF/UHF combo in the attic) or seperate antennas/feedlines+a A/B switch near receiver if you want both Dayton+Cincinnati stations. Of course, you only need 1 antenna but different aiming for Dayton/Cincinnati to try it at first.

Then again, if you're getting good reception of the Cincy UHF analogs(19,25,38,48,54,61,64 - 25,38+61 are Low power so don't worry too much if they're a little snowy -- also -- you won't be able to tell much from the VHF's on 5,9,12) with your current antenna, chances are good that it might work fine for DTV as well. Certianly, what's good for improving analog reception is good for Digital as well - get the snow/ghosts or interference out of the analog UHF's, and you should improve your chances for getting good OTA (H)DTV reception as well.

I've found that oftentimes a "indoor" antenna such as Silver sensor or RS DBT ( http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=930%2D0998 ) Combined with a VHF/UHF joiner to a a VHF "rabbit ears" (for WCPO-DT ABC 10) will work well if placed near a window that faces the towers.

I've only tried it for a few hours at a time just to see if it worked, but I can get the Dayton(12~14 miles)/Cincy (27~32 Miles) digitals except WCVN-DT/WKOI-DT fine with one of these $3 UHF antennas ( http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=15%2D234 ) combined with rabbit ears for VHF, if I place the antenna near a 2nd story window facing the towers.(E window for Dayton, S window for Cincy). I do not have "line of sight" as I'm down in a valley with hills in the way. Analog UHF reception with this is quite snowy and ghosty(but the best I can do from indoors), digital reception is perfect(or, at least it was when I was checking it :-) -- Analog reception is completely horrible and unwatchable from the attic -- and there's no digital reception except from 1 Dayton station from attic here -- and just barely -- no matter how "good" or big the antenna is.

YMMV of course, and there are a lot of factors involved, especially concerning how well a indoor or attic installation will work out for you -- Farther than 15 miles or so out from the towers, and indoor reception can become especially problematic -- but, we have plenty of folks in Dayton/Cincinnati getting good results with attic antennas from as far out at 50 miles.

Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend the CM3010 -- and especially so for a indoor installation -- Its VHF section is OK(just because VHF is so "easy to receive" --- it's pretty much VHF rabbit ears) ... but its UHF section is especially weak -- it's basically just a UHF "rabbit ear" cut for ch 17. It *might* do better outdoors than any antenna you could put indoors though -- Hard to say -- It is pretty much one of those antennas that let you put it outside(or on the dish mast) while doing its best to tackle the WAF ....

Then again, in your specific circumstance(given the direction of Cincy towers) I suppose one of those dish clip on antennas *might* work well, perhaps better than anything you could put indoors. Putting the antenna indoors will attenuate the signals by about 15db in a best case circumstance, probably more.

And don't forget .. One of the most important things is to put the antenna in a "sweet spot" for reception -- that is true for the attic, anywhere else indoors and even outdoors(although to a lesser extent). Moving the antenna as little as 6" or a couple of feet to right/left or back forth or up/down can especially make a BIG difference in the attic or anywhere indoors. ANYTHING within about 10~15 feet or so from the antenna (in the direction it is "aimed" becomes, in effect connected to the antenna and effects its performance.

Some of my below reply to Dimitriz might be of use to you as well :

Excellent info on Antennas and Reception can be found here:

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/antennadex.html

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimitriz

Hey guys, I just got a new HDTV (my 2nd one) a Sanyo 30" WS from Walmart. It has the OTA tuner built in. I am trying to get some OTA channels that TWC doest carry.... (Fox..., I know they are finally coming to TWC in Sept). So far I tried to go the cheap way and tried 2 Jensen antennas from BestBuy. 1st one had gain of 30 and it kinda sucksed so I got the 2nd one that has gain of 45 and while it's better I still get huge ups and downs in receptions.
By now I am thinking of putting in a bigger antenna in the atick to get better signal, hower I know nothing of what antenna/amp. I should use.

I live in Loveland, right on Butterworth/Rt48. (45140) According to antennaweb I am less then 20 miles from the stations that I want to receive.

Thanks

Much of the info in my above reply to Jim should also apply to your situation as well. Best, and most important thing I would stress would be to get a little extra feedline and move the antenna(whatever antenna you are using) around to try to find a "sweet spot" for good reception before placing it in a "permanent" spot. A spot near the TV might not work very well, but a spot 15 feet away next to a window, or who knows, a spot 5 feet away inside a closet might work well -- you'll just have to experiment to find the best spot and a antenna that will work well for you. As noted above, the Zenith Silver sensor and the RS DBT are good UHF indoor antennas.

As for preamp - I would try it without a preamp(or a "amplified" antenna) first -- a preamp really isn't going to get you "more signal" at the antenna, but if you have a long cable run+are splitting the feedline to many TV's, a preamp can help recover that loss, and in some circumstances, a good preamp with a low noise figure can improve the "noise figure" the front-end of your receiver sees, a poorly designed(such as what you get with most indoor "amplified" antennas), or overloaded preamp can make it worse -- much worse. Among other things, the following article has some good information (including tests) on preamps and why we use them :

http://www.geocities.com/toddemslie/UHF-TV-DX.html

--------------------

Hope some of this helps in some way (its actually not as "complicated" as it might sound) + good luck guys ...

Jeff
post #774 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 04:13 PM

Anyone else care to comment on signal quality improvement on WKRC-DT? I am gathering info and I want to ensure that everyone is getting better signal and that some folks are not getting degraded signal quality.

Weasel

post #775 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, Wease... I'm seeing the same improvement Jeff did. WKRC-DT went from around 95 to 99, here. No fluctuation. Understandably, cutting the buffer seems to have brought the PQ up even more. Guess you don't need the MPEG buffer with the EC 8VSB employs, right?

post #776 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The WKRC-DT signal is much stronger here also. The signal is comparable to WLWT-DT which has the strongest readings in my area,up until now that is.

-----------
Robert
post #777 of 14409 Old 07-06-2004, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WebHopperWeasel
Anyone else care to comment on signal quality improvement on WKRC-DT? I am gathering info and I want to ensure that everyone is getting better signal and that some folks are not getting degraded signal quality.

Weasel

The signal is worse here in Oxford. It was usually in the 80's and is now down in the 70's.

jim
post #778 of 14409 Old 07-07-2004, 06:03 AM

Nighwatchman,

Thanks for your reply!
On recommendations from another forum I purchased:

Gemini ZHDTV1 HDTV-UHF Digital Indoor Antenna
Cant post a link
It was only like $17 at the time, now they raised the price to $25...
The antenna got good reviews on Amazon as well and a few other places, I figure that in the worst case I am out of $17... ehh... we'll see.
post #779 of 14409 Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

wow.. thanks nitewatchman! that was an excellent reply!!

I will be tackling the antenna thing this weekend. It looks like I am going to get the rs vu-90 and go from there. One more question, this antenna will feed 1 stb (will find out tomorrow what hdtv box directv brings me) with an rg-6 run of less than 50 feet - do you think an inline amp will be needed?

thanks again

jim
post #780 of 14409 Old 07-07-2004, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jim tressler
do you think an inline amp will be needed?

jim

Probably not - You'll just have to try it and see if the preamp helps or not - I'd try it w/o the amp first. You can split the signal(to multiple TV's/etc) as much as you want, BTW -- But with every split comes about 3.5db of signal loss, a preamp can recover those losses but it can't get you more actual signal AT the antenna(hopefully you'll have more than enough there).

------------------------------------------------------------

Dimitriz,

That antenna is also known as the "Silver Sensor". Good choice -- let us know how it goes.

Jeff
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page