Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 14363 Old 07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
fgrogan - what subdivison? A friend of mine just moved into brandywine on the little miami (just off of butterworth) and we tried with rabit ears and got ok reception - so I think a small antenna in his case should be ok. heres an intersting thing I found today at the radio shack on Fields Ertle (in the walmart plaza) - they had a map of the cincinnati area (very detailed) and it listed the type of antenna you would need - its in the back were they have the antennas - walk to the back left (as you enter) and turn around you will see the antennas and the map is right there.

I live very near to the 22/3 and 48 intersection and I have a winegard sensar and it works great.

As far as the rg6 feeds - if your multiswitch is a 5x8 it should have an antenna input - it will combine the directv feed with the ota feed in the same cable - you can then use a diplexer on the other end to avoid another cable run. not sure on the roter

If you go with directv the movers program is a good deal - I just got the hd deal from them and they sent out an installer -i was skeptical but said ok even though I had heard some horor stories- but they assured me that this installer directly reported to them - and sure enough he did a hell of a job. Although I allready had the triple lnb dish up and locked he still redid all my connections with watertight ends and grounded every thing for me. you should be able to get a deal from directv if you have been a customer for over a year. good luck

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 14363 Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jim tressler
fgrogan - what subdivison? A friend of mine just moved into brandywine on the little miami (just off of butterworth) and we tried with rabit ears and got ok reception - so I think a small antenna in his case should be ok. heres an intersting thing I found today at the radio shack on Fields Ertle (in the walmart plaza) - they had a map of the cincinnati area (very detailed) and it listed the type of antenna you would need - its in the back were they have the antennas - walk to the back left (as you enter) and turn around you will see the antennas and the map is right there.

I live very near to the 22/3 and 48 intersection and I have a winegard sensar and it works great.

As far as the rg6 feeds - if your multiswitch is a 5x8 it should have an antenna input - it will combine the directv feed with the ota feed in the same cable - you can then use a diplexer on the other end to avoid another cable run. not sure on the roter

If you go with directv the movers program is a good deal - I just got the hd deal from them and they sent out an installer -i was skeptical but said ok even though I had heard some horor stories- but they assured me that this installer directly reported to them - and sure enough he did a hell of a job. Although I allready had the triple lnb dish up and locked he still redid all my connections with watertight ends and grounded every thing for me. you should be able to get a deal from directv if you have been a customer for over a year. good luck

jim

Thanks Jim. We are building in the Lanes End subdivision (very small, only 11 lots) off of Baxter Rd.

Great news on local reception and antenna's. I will check out the RS guide and map. Did you also look at www.antennaweb.org for your placement and recommended antenna? Your picking up just the Cincinnati stations I assume or also Dayton?

The rotor was just an idea if I wanted to try to pick up signal from many directions, but my primary interest is just the Cincinnati market so your antenna choice sounds great.

I am looking to possible use the 5th input on the MS, but was just curious what others had done. Since I am doing my own pre-wire I figured I'd be safe and run an extra one or two runs of rg6 for HDTV and whatever else I can think of. Do you also get FM off of your antenna?

Great news also on the HD install. My wife has told me there is no way she will let me up on the roof to install the new dish and I am going to agree with her this time. Figured I'd run the RG6 to the peak of the attic, do a nice exit to the outside and let the DirecTV install terminate the top end and set up the dish. Did he also mount your HD antenna? I have been a customer for 7+ so the movers package sounds great.
post #813 of 14363 Old 07-18-2004, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, WKMJ has the older encoder with the older software (which passes 5.1 just fine).
post #814 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 06:10 AM

Ohh, great I live in Brandywine, lol...

Quote:

jim

post #815 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 06:16 AM

Quote:

jim

Just to add a few more options.

My TV is in N side of the house, I got a Silver Sensor antenna and so far I can receive Fox19 with a very good signal, also picked up Fox45 from Dayton without a problem. Right now I am in process of possibly getting an outside antenna with a rotor... we'll see.
post #816 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

lol.. funny dimitriz - not sure how your hoa will react - I do know that people in that subdivision are pretty social.. so who knows
post #817 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 06:56 AM

Quote:

lol.. funny dimitriz - not sure how your hoa will react - I do know that people in that subdivision are pretty social.. so who knows

I might consider leaving it as is, really depends... going to wait until TWC adds Fox19 in September... after that I'll only need my SS to pickup is Dayton's Fox45 if I really "need" to watch it.
post #818 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have been with directv for 7 years.. they will give you the world.. I got the 99 hd reciever from them - I think on the hd tivos they will give you a t $250 credit but you have to buy it on your own. You can probably get a 99 hd reciever if you wanted all with free install - just tell them that time warner has a great deal.. they will offer you alot to stay.

I went to antennaweb.org and it matched the radio shack map pretty well - it said that a few stations were purple - deep range that the sensar picks up fine. I can get the dayton stations very well it I rotate the antenna - but for now I have it locked onto Cincinnati. I may ad a rotor in the future. It helps that I am "comparably" high on a hill.

I ran 6 lines to the home theater in the basement when we finished it - you can never have enough so for now I just run the antenna directly to the hd reciever - if I wanted to I could add it to the powered multiswitch and just diplex it on the other end - but at this point I dont need the antenna. Just a side note.. the analog locals are prettty crappy - digital rocks. I think the antenna gets fm, but I have an old rca antanna that I hook into the onkyo and it works great for fm - pick up all the cincinnati fm stations as well as wtue out of dayton.

good luck

jim

Quote:

Originally posted by fgrogan
Thanks Jim. We are building in the Lanes End subdivision (very small, only 11 lots) off of Baxter Rd.

Great news on local reception and antenna's. I will check out the RS guide and map. Did you also look at www.antennaweb.org for your placement and recommended antenna? Your picking up just the Cincinnati stations I assume or also Dayton?

The rotor was just an idea if I wanted to try to pick up signal from many directions, but my primary interest is just the Cincinnati market so your antenna choice sounds great.

I am looking to possible use the 5th input on the MS, but was just curious what others had done. Since I am doing my own pre-wire I figured I'd be safe and run an extra one or two runs of rg6 for HDTV and whatever else I can think of. Do you also get FM off of your antenna?

Great news also on the HD install. My wife has told me there is no way she will let me up on the roof to install the new dish and I am going to agree with her this time. Figured I'd run the RG6 to the peak of the attic, do a nice exit to the outside and let the DirecTV install terminate the top end and set up the dish. Did he also mount your HD antenna? I have been a customer for 7+ so the movers package sounds great.

post #819 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Couple of items I just heard through the grapevine .....

#1). Sounds like WXIX most likely won't have The splicer installed by beginning of Fall season --- sounds like It probably won't happen until near end of the year.

So, the way it looks, if you want to see FOX HD this fall, IF you can get them, you'll want to tune to WRGT-DT 30 Fox Dayton(HD splicer was installed there in May, BTW), or potentially other Fox digital stations in nearby markets depending upon your location ... WRGT-DT has been in weirdscreen mode for past couple of days -- Which is NOT usual for them(at least so far), but hopefully -- Fox HD will "work" from them. I'd think it will, as long as they work it out so their autoswitcher can handle switching between Fox/HD and Local - my understanding is it shouldn't be difficult for them to set it up to work, anyway .. BTW, AR for anything coming via the splicer BTW is controlled by Fox, not the affiliate -- So, "weirdscreen" during Fox programming should be a thing of the past.

#2). Heard that WKRC-DT has asked for the necessary equipment to do DD 5.1 for sometime in 2005 --- Don't necessarily count on them getting it -- but, they have ASKED for it ....

Jeff
post #820 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

who have they asked for it from?
post #821 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Probably management. Meaning Cheap Channel.
post #822 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another item just in from the "grapevine" ....

It's tentative currently so this might change, but as of right now, looks like WLWT-DT will only have HD Olympics coverage in Prime Time hours.

Jeff
post #823 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM

I just got a message back from the Chief Engineer of WXIX-TV, and he said:

"I have not heard anything officially from FOX to that effect (delay of HD for Fox). WXIX is still waiting for FOX to install the new satellite antenna which is needed for us to receive HD programming from The FOX network. I hope to have this equipment installed by Mid August so the September HD rollout is still a possibility."
post #824 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dimitiriz,

Thanks for the info. We will see -- The info I posted above DID orginate from personel at WXIX as well(I got it Through a reliable 2nd source), whom should probably remain "unnamed" at this point :-) I'd think their CE (still Paul Smith I presume) would probably know more on this matter, however.

In addition to the info he provided concerning receiving the sat feed, did you happen to find out/get any idea or indication from him when the HD splicer system needed for FOX HD will be installed at WXIX, and/or when they will switch to sending 720p?

My understanding is - from the info posted by engineer's at Fox affiliates that post on AVS as well as from WRGT-DT engineer whom I was in contact with when the splicer was being installed there, they need to switch to 720p before the HD splicer can/will be installed by the install crews - And I'd think, obviously they'd need to be able to receive the feed to install/test the splicer system as well. I don't know about the Sat antenna, but the splicer itself is being installed not actually by Fox themselves but by a contractor's teams(Thomson if I recall correctly) - So don't know if they could do both of those things at the same time or not, could be a possibility though, I suppose.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #825 of 14363 Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dimitriz
I might consider leaving it as is, really depends... going to wait until TWC adds Fox19 in September... after that I'll only need my SS to pickup is Dayton's Fox45 if I really "need" to watch it.

Have you been told that TWC will add WXIX in Sept in time for football season and the World Series? That'd be great
post #826 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sea Ray
Have you been told that TWC will add WXIX in Sept in time for football season and the World Series? That'd be great

Here is an earlier message I got from him also:

"Time Warner has chosen not to carry WXIX-DT on its digital tier because all programming on WXIX-DT is distributed in the 480p (both 4:3 and 16:9) format. TWC does not consider 480p an HD format and therefore is not willing to give up channel space for a standard definition digital channel. This Fall FOX and WXIX will begin transmission of shows produced and distributed in the 720p 16:9 format. At that time Time Warner Cable will begin carrying WXIX-DT on its Digital tier. Equipment upgrades are already begun and the roll out date is sometime in early September."
post #827 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dimitriz
TWC does not consider 480p an HD format and therefore is not willing to give up channel space for a standard definition digital channel.

That's been what they've(TW) been saying for a long time too. What is funny about it is, WRGT-DT Fox Dayton has been carried on TW Dayton/TW Western Ohio for almost 2 years now --- And all they were doing was 480i 4x3 SD until a few months back, when they started doing Fox Widescreen just before they had their upgrade for Fox HD ...

Also, it seems like TW Cincy carries all of the SD services from the local PBS Digitals ....

Anyhow, It will be interesting to see if TW picks up WXIX BEFORE they (actually) get the Fox HD upgrade. It seems to me it would make sense for them to add it ASAP, so everything is ready when they DO start sending FOX HD.

BTW, WXIX-DT upconverts to 1080i for broadcast currently, and for the last 4 years they've been on air. Currently, Fox distributes it's programming to digital affiliates(including Fox Widescreen) as 480i(not p) "anamorphic"(or in other words, 16x9 NTSC video -- "sidebars" are added at Network level for 4x3 programming). Normally, an affilate that is sending 480p "de-interlaces" the 480i at the affiliate level - and that's where the 480p comes from(and we often just call it 480p, or "ED" for enhanced definition for simplicity's sake), but I don't think that would be necessary at WXIX as they are sending a interlaced format(1080i) anyway.

Jeff
post #828 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
it seems like TW Cincy carries all of the SD services from the local PBS Digitals ....

That's probably because they can write off any equipment and the channels count toward any "public service" committment that is part of their charter.

Doc <-- tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #829 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doc -- Yeah.

What gets me is(and this is true in a "different way" for us OTA people As well), a number of the PBS SD services we get from 3 stations 6 miles or less apart are often running the SAME programming service at the same, exact time(CPB/Annenburg channel for instance - Note: understandable where KET is concerned, as they are running services which are statewide, and are serving areas where they do NOT have 4 PBS local stations ) ... Why have it using up bandwidth just once when the SAME programming can use up 3x as much bandwidth and count 3 times towards a cableco's public service commitment I suppose ....

Jeff
post #830 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW, WXIX-DT upconverts to 1080i for broadcast currently, and for the last 4 years they've been on air. Currently, Fox distributes it's programming to digital affiliates(including Fox Widescreen) as 480i(not p) "anamorphic"(or in other words, 16x9 NTSC video -- "sidebars" are added at Network level for 4x3 programming). Normally, an affilate that is sending 480p "de-interlaces" the 480i at the affiliate level - and that's where the 480p comes from(and we often just call it 480p, or "ED" for enhanced definition for simplicity's sake), but I don't think that would be necessary at WXIX as they are sending a interlaced format(1080i) anyway.

But when Fox goes HD it will be in 720p, correct? Seems like WXIX guessed wrong by upconverting to 1080i, a decision I assume was made before Fox national announced that it was going with the 720p standard.
post #831 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

according to my hughes htl-hd it says wxix 19 (19-1) is 480i .. does it change for primetime?
post #832 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But when Fox goes HD it will be in 720p, correct? Seems like WXIX guessed wrong by upconverting to 1080i, a decision I assume was made before Fox national announced that it was going with the 720p standard.

Yes, it will be 720p so the format they are using for upconverted local/ Syndicated programming matches What Fox sends (HD at 720p) via the Splicer - The HD from the Splicer is encoded at the Network level, and it won't be decoded/re-encoded at the affiliate --- Also, even if WXIX-DT doesn't have DD 5.1 capability, we'll still get DD 5.1 for Fox programming, as that comes "straight through" from Fox as well.

IMO, them doing 1080i was a GOOD decision(most HD displays out there support 1080i natively, not 720p) - When they do it "Right" and don't send it in "weirdscreen", I'd say it probably looks about as good as FOX WS can get on a HD display. My understanding is, WXIX-DT was Raycom's "beta test site" for HD, and I believe the first Raycomm digital station on the air .... There is an article "somewhere" on the net written by one of Raycomm's corporate Engineers about it ....

I had also read a few years ago that Raycom was a "big believer" in 1080i. I don't know about the specifics concerning WXIX's equipment, but I would think it *shouldn't* be a big deal for them to switch to 720p, as my understanding is, MOST(if not all) encoders and upconverters/etc. that support 1080i support 720p as well.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Tressler
according to my hughes htl-hd it says wxix 19 (19-1) is 480i .. does it change for primetime?

I don't believe they change ATSC formats, I could be wrong though. Your equipment *may* not be reporting accurate info concerning which ATSC format they are actually sending. What you are seeing could just be incorrect info in some sort of a decsriptor/etc (via PID perhaps, as not sure if that would be sent via PSIP or what).

Last I heard from them(and anytime I've asked, since I don't have a way of telling with my equipment either - other than my eyes), they said they were sending(upconverting to) 1080i, and it doesn't look any different now than it allways has.

WRGT-DT Fox Dayton(Fox HD splicer upgrade already in place, they're just waiting for Fox to send some HD) Sends 720p currently, BTW -- For a short time, WRGT-DT was sending Fox WS at 480i 16x9(which is its "native" resolution), and I know the upcoversion my equipment can do to 1080i didn't do quite as good a job of it as WXIX-DT's equipment does. Anyhow, For a time there a couple years back, WXIX-DT was also sending a second SD 4x3 subchannel as 480i, perhaps it is possible what you are seeing where the 480i indication is concerned is something "left over" from that time, I don't know.

Jeff
post #833 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last I heard from them(and anytime I've asked, since I don't have a way of telling with my equipment either - other than my eyes), they said they were sending(upconverting to) 1080i, and it doesn't look any different now than it allways has.

If they are sending out 1080i then isn't that considered HD? Yet I thought as TWC said they are not yet sending out HD so how can that be?

This was posted earlier in this thread from TWC:

"Time Warner has chosen not to carry WXIX-DT on its digital tier because all programming on WXIX-DT is distributed in the 480p (both 4:3 and 16:9) format. TWC does not consider 480p an HD format and therefore is not willing to give up channel space for a standard definition digital channel."

This seems to say that WXIX is sending out 480p and not 1080i. Am I missing something?
post #834 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they are sending out 1080i then isn't that considered HD? Yet I thought as TWC said they are not yet sending out HD so how can that be?

This was posted earlier in this thread from TWC:

"Time Warner has chosen not to carry WXIX-DT on its digital tier because all programming on WXIX-DT is distributed in the 480p (both 4:3 and 16:9) format. TWC does not consider 480p an HD format and therefore is not willing to give up channel space for a standard definition digital channel."

This seems to say that WXIX is sending out 480p and not 1080i. Am I missing something?

Yep, you are missing something

No, it is not considered HD unless the programming is actually produced(or transferred from film), and distributed in HD.

WXIX-DT is sending 1080i (unless something has changed recently, but it doesn't look like it from what I can tell) -- but NONE of the programming that airs on WXIX-DT is native HD (although at some point in their past I wouldn't be surprised if they aired some HD test loops/etc) -- it is all UPCONVERTED from its native resolution to 1080i by WXIX.

The Programming they air would have to be produced (or transferred from film) in HD, and distrubuted in HD (such as Fox HD will be) before they can actually send us HD. WKRC (local 12) news for example is sent as 1080i by WKRC-DT, but it isn't HD -- it is upconverted at the station from its native source(4x3 NTSC video - which is pretty close to 480i
SD). "CSI:Miami" on the other hand, is shot on Film and transferred to HD, and distributed in 1080i HD by CBS, and you "truly see" native HD when WKRC-DT airs it. If you watch PBS HD channel on WCVN-DT/KET4 or WCET-DT -- Some of that programming is HD, but much of it is Widescreen SD that is upconverted to 1080i at the network level and sent as 1080i by WCET-DT, or "sideconverted" to 720p in the case of WCVN-DT, as they choose to send PBS HD at 720p instead of 1080i.

As I mentioned before -- We often call "Fox widescreen" 480p, because that is what it is from the stations that are(most Fox affilates which were doing Fox Widescreen before the Fox HD upgrades at the affiliates began DID send 480p 16x9 ATSC format, although some sent 1080i, some sent 720p, some sent 480i 16x9) actually sending 480p ATSC format -- But, the programming is actually distrubuted by Fox as 480i anamorphic(another way of saying that which some think is more correct would be "16x9 NTSC video"), and the stations that are actually sending 480p deinterlace it(and I think 3:2 pulldown is added at the affiliate as well, or is "supposed to be" at least so your display doesn't necessarily have to support it) and send it as 480p ... In other words, "somewhat"(more or less) like a progressive scan DVD player.

Fox Widescreen(Which is also referred to as ED or "enhanced definition" but could actually also be called SD widescreen IMO) is, PQ wise, pretty much on par with "anamoprphic" Widescreen DVD, No matter WHICH ATSC format the affiliate is sending (480i 16x9, 480p 16x9, 720p, 1080i). Any differences in quality you would see between stations sending any of those formats would mostly have to do with either the upconversion equipment at the station(depending upon what format they are sending -- If they are sending 480i/p then they aren't upconverting the programming from its native resolution of course), or the viewer's equipment and how well it upconverts to the native scan rate your display is using.(1080i, 720p).

In other words, If you have a DVD player that has a scaler that outputs at 1080i, basically speaking you would be doing the same thing with DVD (which is "natively" 480i 4x3 NTSC video, or 16x9 NTSC video(latter also is more commonly called a "anamoprhic" DVD)as WXIX-DT is doing with Fox Widescreen, any other Fox programming presently, or WXIX local syndicated programming ....

What we are talking about here when we say WXIX is sending 1080i, is the acutal ATSC format they are sending us, not the "native" resolution of the programming or what Fox is sending THEM with Fox widescreen, whereas, The latter is what TW and WXIX's CE is reffering to. (I think they are calling it 480p for "short" rather than going into deinterlacing and upconverting and the like) ....

Hope that makes some sense ....

------------------------------

Update : Oh, btw, I meant to add the following link in my last post to this thread which has loads of great info on FOX HD, the upgrades to Fox's distribution system for HD, and info on the HD splicer upgrades for the affiliates :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...03#post3304603

Jeff
post #835 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

SR...

It's kind of like FM Stereo. You're listening on FM and the stereo light is lit. But if I'm playing an old 78RPM record on the air, then what you're hearing is most definitely not stereo and not high fidelity .

BTW, WXIX-DT is still churning 1080i. Might be 720p, but I'd probably notice that. It takes the Sammy longer to acquire a new station if that station is in a different format from the one it's currently on. For example, if I step from WLWT-DT to WKRC-DT the channel change is instantaneous, just as it is from WCPO-DT to WDTN-DT. But from WCPO-DT to WLWT-DT, WKRC-DT or even WSTR-DT, the Sammy has to think about it for a few seconds.

post #836 of 14363 Old 07-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Great analogy...never thought of it that way.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #837 of 14363 Old 07-21-2004, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I just recieved my hd set yesterday (toshiba 46h84) and watched navy csi or whatever its called... man all I can say is holy sh*t!!!! absolutly fricken amazing!! Fox 19 looked horrible.. lol.. for some reason my hughes htl-hd said 1080i but the normal strech modes were not availabe.. all I had were letterbox, cropped and squeezed modes.. most of the other high def stuff I get expand, standard and shrink modes.. interesting

jim
post #838 of 14363 Old 07-21-2004, 05:56 AM

I sure hope that WXIX gets HD and TWC gets WXIX-DT before football season. But the real reason I am writing is because I was wondering if anyone here knew the status of the HD DVR (SA 8000HD) from TWC here in Cincy. I wrote to TWC and they said "they have no expected date for the release of the HD DVR." Seeing as the people on this forum seem to have the right connections, I was hoping someone got some info from someone a little higher up in the food chain. I sure hope we get it before September. I read on avsforum that Dayton should have it by the beginning of August and Columbus which is also on the Pioneer Passport software already has it up and running. Let's hope TWCincy gets on the ball.
post #839 of 14363 Old 07-21-2004, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WCPO-DT PSIP remap missing?

PSIP remap for WCPO-DT has been missing here for the last 5-6 days or so --- anybody getting the PSIP remap to 9.x for them?

Also noticed they missed several nights of ABC HD last week ...

-----------------------------------------------------

WCET-DT 48.1 Missing again :

Noticed that past few nights, 48.1 has been MIA again on both receivers here when they are supposed to be in HD mode ...

I wish they could find a way to permanently address this problem we keep seeing from them occasionally. Maybe they could find a way to leave PSIP for all their services/subchannels up all the time(even if "blank"(as is the case with WPTD-DT/WPTO-DT) or just as "placeholders"), if it is going to keep "not working" occasionally for them to add and remove subchannels completely on a daily/nighly basis. Or, even better if they could do it like KET does with the switching of ATSC formats between CPB/Annenburg at 480i and 720p for PBS HD on KET4 ...

Also, I would note that even with the "guides off"(channel remapping and other PSIP stuff turned off) on DTC-100, 34.1 PBS HD (it shows up as 34.1 w/o remapping) still doesn't show up when it's "MIA" .....

Also, I'm wondering if this is an issue(I'm thinking no) for TW CET-HD viewers and, I assume they get PBS HD channel from CET-HD(which OTA we see as 48.1 via PSIP remap) when its MIA via OTA(such as past few nights ?

Jeff
post #840 of 14363 Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

WCPO-DT's been 10-1 on both receivers for at least a week. I haven't talked to anyone over there, so I don't know specifics. PSIP data seems to be MIA, as there's no time info from them, either.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page