post #1081 of 14412 Old 09-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

Originally posted by jim tressler
although the fox bug is really messed up - half of it is missing!

Hey, it wouldn't be WXIX-DT if something wasn't messed up . Last night, the "bug" such as it is (it's the default bug in the splicer that's supposed to be replaced by each station's custom bug.. WXIX probably wanted that color bug which may not be an option) was in an annoying spot in the picture. Don't know if Fox moves the bug or the local station does. Judging from the fact it stayed messed up all night, I'd guess it's the local station.

And, yeah, with my glasses, it's 5.1.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not positive, but I thought I had read Fox has control of the local bug via the splicer, including bug placement -- Anyway ... The local Fox 45 Splicer bug on WRGT-DT is in the same place, but it is smaller than the Default "fox" bug on WXIX-DT last night. The Fox 45 Bug on WRGT-DT BTW, is Blue+White, pretty much the same as it is on the analog, it just looks "smaller" ...

As for part of it being cut off, I'd think that would depend upon how much overscan is present on your display. Looks to me like the "splicer" bug is now being placed in about the same spot As was the Fox bug on the WS feed prior to Fall 2002(except maybe its a bit lower), before it "moved" into the 4x3 area ..

Also, I'm noticing(still, presently) that since they switched back to local from network last night, A/V sync has been off here on WXIX, on the Zenith Box anyway, I haven't had a chance to check the RCA yet -- anyone else getting(or not getting) that?

Jeff
post #1083 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman

Also, I'm noticing(still, presently) that since they switched back to local from network last night, A/V sync has been off here on WXIX, on the Zenith Box anyway, I haven't had a chance to check the RCA yet -- anyone else getting(or not getting) that?

The sync problem is evident on my Zenth TV /receiver as well and it seems to effect the local programming. Fox network is ok. It started last evening at 10:00PM.

-----------
Robert
post #1084 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just checked real quick, and A/V sync on XIX-DT is off on the DTC-100 as well, so I assume everyone is getting it ...

---------------

Oh ..I almost forgot this bit of very good news ... For those who don't read Dayton thread ... According to this post from a couple of weeks ago, ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...99#post4279399 ) on Dayton thread, it looks like WSTR-DT (WB 64 Cincinnati) is planning on having WB HD in "1 or 2 months" ....

Jeff
post #1085 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the synch on XIX has been off since 10pm. 513-421-0119 gets you the newsroom if anyone cares to call. If they seem confused, tell them to tell the MCO to reboot the encoder. Since it's both local and network, then that's where the issue is. I called at 2:45p (9/11). Someone needs to follow me up so they know more than one person is viewing.

Jeff..
I do have some overscan, and yes it is in about the same place as the widescreen bug from a year or so ago. I get FO and half of the X. FWIW, the Samsung hooked to my standard TV loses about the same amount in Letterbox mode. And, if I split-screen the HDTV (which removes all overscan in any window) I still lose the bottom part of the letters and a third of the X. Which is fine by me.

post #1086 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Doc -- A/V sync appears to be fixed last time I peeked(3:40pm) on WXIX-DT ... Hope it doesn't confuse their encoder TOO often when they go from the Splicer/net to local ... Then again, since we don't have the weirdscreen anymore, we need to have SOMETHING to pester them about I suppose ..

And, Yeah, I think they're going a little outside what should be considered the "safe title area" with the Bug ... Since its a bit smaller(about the size of WPTO-DT/WPTD-DT's 14 HD/16 HD bugs), and therefore a bit less width than what was on xix-DT last night(and apparently "left justified" so to speak), WRGT-DT's splicer bug had the right edge of the "45" about in the same spot as the middle of the "O" that was on on WXIX last night ... OF course, they could move entire thing to the Right of the 0% overscan area, and I'd be fine with that too

Oh ... Speaking of WPTO-DT ... I have noticed they've had time delayed PBS HD on 14-6(psip remapped) Weekend evenings the last few weeks, BUT there has been No Audio ...

Jeff
post #1087 of 14412 Old 09-11-2004, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
Oh ... Speaking of WPTO-DT ... I have noticed they've had time delayed PBS HD on 14-6(psip remapped) Weekend evenings the last few weeks, BUT there has been No Audio ...

WCET-DT48-1 has been missing for the last few nights. Is it me or does it seem to go away when the PBS pledge breaks start every few months? I wonder if its planned that way.

-----------
Robert
post #1088 of 14412 Old 09-12-2004, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At first I thought we weren't going to have FOX HD this Sunday, because 19 had color bars on. It switched around 12:15 and now I am receiving the FOX programing, but it appears to still be WS upconverted to 720p. Hopefully the game will use HD cameras. I also noticed that FOX 45 Dayton is just showing a stretched out analog picture.

Alex
post #1089 of 14412 Old 09-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

If the game's not in HD on WXIX, the number to call is 513-421-0119. I've got Ticket, so you're on your own, this week .

Doc

post #1090 of 14412 Old 09-12-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was concerned there for a bit (especially since WRGT-DT has had stretch-o-vision with the same video feeding the analog since last night, even during Fox programming AND the last bit of pregame on Xix-DT was "stretch-o-vision" too) ...

BUT ... At 1:04pm both WRGT-DT/WXIX-DT have HD from the splicer up in proper AR! Of course, the first bit of Fox HD I saw had to be Collinsworth ...

No time to look at the PQ too closely, as it's to the Bengals game for me!

Jeff
post #1091 of 14412 Old 09-12-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by microbob
WCET-DT48-1 has been missing for the last few nights.

It looks like this time around they are having a PSIP issue. I'm getting CET-HD just fine on the RCA DTC-100 with channel remapping/psip turned OFF on it on 34-1, but, CET-HD(48.1) is not showing up in any fashion on the Zenith HDV420 box, on which unfortunetly I can't turn PSIP off ...

Still no audio tonight for the HD on WPTO-DT, BTW ...

Guess I'm not quite done contacting the stations this weekend ...

---------

On Fox HD+the splicer .. interestingly enough, noticed that EIA-708 Closed Captions are coming through just fine on the zenith box here via the splicer on WRGT-DT Dayton(otherwise WRGT-DT has never sent EIA-708 captions that work with HDV420), but not on WXIX-DT(which also has never done EIA-708 captions that work with HDV420) -- Go figure ..

Also .. It was interesting to check out 30-2(SD) occasionally on WRGT-DT today-- During the HD football, it was so low bitrate most of the time, it looked worse than video via a dialup modem, but, during the simpsons it was just fine(as SD goes anyway) .. On the other hand, I couldn' tell a difference in the HD PQ between WRGT-DT/WXIX-DT (as it should be given the way the splicer+the encoding at network level "works").... Which I thought looked quite good for the first day of Fox HD, especially for the Cowboys/Vikings game ...

Jeff
post #1092 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 05:37 AM

Head on over to www.cincinnatihdtv.com to read some news about TWC in the forums. Thanks go out to Grazant for this info.
post #1093 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 AM

What's your source for this info?
post #1094 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 02:54 PM

Well a quick call to TWC confirmed it as well as looking on google. Columbus TWC already has ESPN-HD as of this weekend. I have a co-worker who went up to friends in Columbus and he said they watched it on Sunday night as well.
post #1095 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 06:15 PM

Just got home and checked the on-screen guide, channel 975 says ESPNHD!!!!
post #1096 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 06:18 PM

WHOOOO 975 could this be better than Christmas I just looked 2 seconds ago and saw it ESPN-HD I think hell has frozen over go TWC you rock. Now all those hate mails we sent we need to send some thanks to TWC to getting this channel on in just three days after the contract was signed. Pinch me I think I am dreaming!!!!
post #1097 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Yea, I was thinking that as well, about sending an nice email thanking them. Now if we can just get FOX when it become available.
post #1098 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, ESPN-HD on ch 975 is cool!

Now what do we know about WXIX -HD on TWC? We're already one week into the NFL season...

I understand that TW says they'll add ch 19 when they go HD. All right, when is that? I thought WXIX was one of the pioneers of all the Fox networks
post #1099 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 08:54 PM

Unbelievable!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

I guess now I'll keep the HD Tier after all. Now if get just get the HD PVR...

When we get Fox 19, we'll be loaded for football. And yes, let's all send TWC a nice email.

Different subject...

Channel 9 is carrying the Bengals game on Sunday (due to regulations requiring the game to be shown on free TV). Anybody know if they will have the HD feed?
post #1100 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by Sea Ray
I understand that TW says they'll add ch 19 when they go HD. All right, when is that? I thought WXIX was one of the pioneers of all the Fox networks

Cable carriage is a priority with WXIX management, that much I know for certain. I also know that initial attempts to "join the HD tiers" was met with resistance from TW and Insight due to the fact FOX didn't do HD. Actually getting the HD online with WXIX-DT seemed to be a bit unpredictable, at best, so I doubt WXIX was able to give cable a firm date. Even if a carriage deal was already done pending Fox's move to HD, it'll still take time to get the fiber lines and install the gear. I would imagine both cable companies were/are operating on a "we'll believe it when we see it" stance, which means nothing was done in advance. Assuming nothing's changed w/r/t WXIX's mgt, then it's just a matter of the cable companies getting with the program, so to speak. I'm sure a call or some mail would make for a friendly nudge. But I'd bet dinner there's zero resistance on WXIX's end. Speculation from my end: Best case is two weeks. Worst case (assuming all parties have agreements) is two months.
Quote:

Originally posted by CincySaint
Different subject...Channel 9 is carrying the Bengals game on Sunday (due to regulations requiring the game to be shown on free TV). Anybody know if they will have the HD feed?

I'm 99% sure they won't. I don't think ESPN allows ABC affiliates to carry the HD version. Even if they did, I rather doubt WCPO would shell out $15K for the ESPN-HD receiving equipment for a one-time thing before shelling out the $$ for DD 5.1. Plus, the ESPN-HD feed won't be blacked out since ABC affiliate carriage of ESPN programming is a simulcast deal.

Oh, and not to beat a dead horse, but the newsroom number for WCPO is 513-852-4071. As usual, I was the only one who called when they didn't have HD for MNF. What are you guys going to do if I get hit by lightening (a serious possibility )?

post #1101 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 PM

I don't know about local, but it looks like ESPN will broadcast it in HD. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...s/espnhd/index is their schedule.
post #1102 of 14412 Old 09-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Don, am I correct in assuming that WXIX still is not broadcasting in HD? In other words are the OTA customers getting HD from ch 19 yet?
post #1103 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WXIX-DT is HD - this weekends games looked fantastic.. WCPO-DT on the other hand looked like crap last night - jaggies all over - especially on the score bug. Dont get me wrong - it looked damn good, but compared to CBS and now FOX - it was garbage. Thanks for calling Doc - I tuned in at 9:15 so you must have allready called! - Now on to WKRC-DT - I am assuming they pass on the HD feed for NFL - so I wont have to bitch this sunday as the Browns-Cowboys game is in HD for CBS and is listed in the guide for channel 12. I also must admit I am impressed with WXIX-DT - fot all the complaining I did, they got their act together. Hats of to them (for now)

jim
post #1104 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Oh, and not to beat a dead horse, but the newsroom number for WCPO is 513-852-4071. As usual, I was the only one who called when they didn't have HD for MNF. What are you guys going to do if I get hit by lightening (a serious possibility )?

Sorry, I was too busy calling the WKEF newsroom for the same reason.
post #1105 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

1450khz..

Too funny. Had WKEF been HD, I probably wouldn't have called up WCPO. Jim's right, there's far more jaggies on WCPO than WKEF with 720p video. It almost looks like it used to when they were upconverting to 1080i. I'm clueless.

WXIX is, indeed, HD, and kudos to them for getting it done right at the wire. And big kudos to Jim for staying on them.

The football game looked as good as any of the FOX-HD games on Sunday Ticket. Not as good as the CBS or ABC games, but they're just getting started. I'm sure tweaks are coming.

post #1106 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

OK, good for WXIX for getting their HD stuff together in time for football season. Now I get to sit on TWC to add WXIX-DT.

Thanks guys
post #1107 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Too funny. Had WKEF been HD, I probably wouldn't have called up WCPO. Jim's right, there's far more jaggies on WCPO than WKEF with 720p video. It almost looks like it used to when they were upconverting to 1080i. I'm clueless.

WKEF has been very responsive to phone calls. Both times I've called, they've switched to HD within about 30 seconds after the newsroom guy gets off the phone with me. They remembered for last Thursday's game but forgot last night's.

Their PQ looks as good as WDTN did (maybe a little better since the frame jitter up/down is gone), but unfortunately WKEF does not have DD 5.1 capability.
post #1108 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is a copy of an email I sent to WCPO

"Hello - I have noticed on the last two Monday Night HD
telecasts there has been a fair amount of "jagginess"
and fuzzy graphics on the WCPO-DT OTA broadcasts.
Thinking this was an ABC network issue I compared the
WCPO-DT with WKEF-DT out of Dayton and their picture
was excellent. In searching the internet I found this
-

"The picture, graphics an all, going out of focus
momentarily is a local problem with stations that use
the Harris flexicoder compressor. I am not talking
about pixelization, which has other causes, just an
out of focus picture. The Flexicoder was installed by
most if not all bigger market stations because it was
I believe the only thing available back in 1999 when
they went on the air with HD.

The problem can be corrected by changing a filtering
setting in the compressor. The filter setting that
causes the problem lets the compressor reduce the
picture resolution if it is stressed which only seems
to happen in live sporting events. Even if a local
station changed the setting to fix the problem in the
past it can recur if the station recalled another
configuration file that does not have the filter
setting change.

There is information on the ABC a-net web site
available to engineering people at affiliates about
contacting someone at the network about correcting the
problem. I vaguely think it involves changing the
filter setting from 1 to 2 but am not sure about that.

Rory at KXTV
Sacramento"

Hopefully this will help with the "jaggie" issue
WCPO-DT is having during MNF.

Thanks for providing a great OTA digital channel.

Jim Tressler
"
post #1109 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 11:18 AM

Please get D*, and a good antenna, and you don't have to woory about cable companies carrying the digital feed. I will tivo the ESPNHD game Sunday evening while I am sitting five rows from the field.
LIVE IS GOOD IN HD.
post #1110 of 14412 Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Jim..

Nice letter.

Doc

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page