Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 14379 Old 10-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's the million dollar question! Most of us here think they're useless, especially since they take away bandwidth and affect pq of the main channel.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 14379 Old 10-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 267
As far as Cincinnati goes, WCPO-DT's "weather network" is distributed to cable systems via 9-2. I don't know the specifics of the deal, but on Insight channel 71, we get commercials while 9-2 is showing promos. So, there's a financial arrangement, there.

WLWT-DT's 5-2, as mentioned earlier in the thread, was being used just to pump the radar to Tall Stacks. As is often the case, they won't think to turn it off until someone mentions it. Or they might like the idea of being able to bring it up anywhere, anytime in the field. But, as Paul said, it's all pretty much a waste of bandwidth. But, to the stations, it's still in the "toy" stage.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #93 of 14379 Old 10-25-2003, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Hey, What do you know, WKEF-DT is ahead of WLWT-DT on the "HD Curve" For Breeder's cup ..... We'll see how long it takes for WLWT-DT to switch to HD feed ...

Update: WLWT-DT had HD by 1:20pm -- Can't really see any difference between WKEF/WLWT, but I suspect Motion artifacts(which aren't too bad) would be gone if either would drop their SD sub+allocate full bandwidth to HD ....

Jeff
post #94 of 14379 Old 10-25-2003, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by str1der
Well I think it's just a matter of the aiming. I adjusted it a little and I now get WKRC fine. Only problem is now Fox is cutting in and out now. I guess I have a little more fine tuning to do . Thanks again guys. I do have another question though. What are the secondary channels for the OTA stations for?

See KET's web site for a description of sub channels..

William
post #95 of 14379 Old 10-26-2003, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DAS1414
I live in the Cincinnati and I recently picked up a Pioneer 3510 HD cable box from TWC and bought a DVI cable. I have a Sony XBR television with an input specifically for the DVI high def viewing. I hooked it all up, switched to a hi def channel, and I get nothing but a black screen when my TV input is switched to the DVI one. I have no problems getting a picture when I source the component video or S-video from the box. I contacted TWC and the person I talked to was no help whatsoever so hopefully someone can give me hand. I guess my first question is whether or not TWC Cincinnati even supports the DVI output on their cable box. I have skimmed through a few forums and have gathered that perhaps TWC has not enabled this feature on their boxes... is this true? Also if they do support the DVI output does TWC have to do something with box to make it work or is there a setting that I have to change on cable box. I thought I read somewhere that the user could change the output on the cable box (ie 420p, 720p, 1080i) and if so how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Take a look at the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=279674
post #96 of 14379 Old 10-27-2003, 06:13 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know.
But last night American Dreams (I know, I know, the wife watch's it) was not in HD. Well, I told her if she wanted to see it in HD to call. She did, and BINGO, 5 minutes later it was in HD. Looks like actually calling to let them know may be worth it in the future. This is the first we have ever called about it, so I may now do it in the future! Of course, only if their isn't a weather bug up.

Dave
post #97 of 14379 Old 10-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Dave.
My wife actually called WXIX when the pregame show was in weirdscreen without any prompting from me. And, within two minutes, it was fixed. All she had to say was, "You need to fix the picture." The person who answered the phone said, "You must be watching in HD. I'll go tell them." I do think they respond better to women.

Doc

post #98 of 14379 Old 10-28-2003, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Noticed "Frampton in Detroit" is on CET-HD's HD schedule tonight at 9pm, for those who might be interested and may have missed the listing. Also, per their Nov. HD schedule, looks like they are perhaps expanding their HD schedule just a tad:

http://www.cetconnect.org/television...date=nextmonth

Don't know if it was a "mistake" or what, but I also noticed a couple of nights last week when WCET-DT had HD, I thought the HD looked better than "usual", and, the SD subs that are left up during HD looked to be at a lower bitrate than normal. 48-2 especially was a screenful o' macroblocks when things got a little "active", it's better it happen on the SD subs than the HD subs IMO, especially when it's just a SD simulcast of the same HD programming on 48-1 ...

Jeff
post #99 of 14379 Old 10-28-2003, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thought I was posting this in the "Cincinnati" thread, so will do so now. Thanks Jeff (Nitewatchman) for the response. Have posted your response at the end of my thread -

Hello folks - new owner of a HLN5065 tv, and as I recall standing in the chekcout line thinking I must be some kind of idiot to drop $4k on a TV, everytime I turn that thing on, I am amazed at the picture I see. Thank God for 2 years, same as cash.

Anyway, I'm trying to understand why a football game I watch in HD on CBS on the WKRC feed has, what I think is called "compression artifacts", galore..and the MNF game I watch on ABC is an absolutely stunning picture.

Is it the fact that the CBS game is transmitted in 1080i format, and the MNF game is in 720p, and there is just that much difference in PQ between these 2 formats? Or does it have something to do with not enough bandwidth being allocated by WKRC to the CBS Sunday football game, and the ABC station is providing ample b/w for a quality HD picture on the MNF game. Still a newbie on this HD stuff and trying to determine why the CBS pq is really poor vs. the MNF pq - thanks all -

Nitewatchman resonse:

WKRC-DT(1080i CBS HD) is allocating 15mb/s to CBS HD instead of the full amount possible, according to one of their engineers. I believe they use the rest of their digital stations' bandwidth for Datacasting, specifically the "Webhopper" internet acceleration service. This is likely why compression artifacts are a problem for them during demanding HD source material such as NFL football, those of us who have seen the Columbus CBS HD station, which gives all their available bandwidth to HD have noticed that Compression artifacts aren't a problem from the Columbus station.

Oh, BTW, you should be seeing the same quality via TWC as we OTA viewers see.

Concerning WCPO-DT, they multicast a SD weather subchannel, but since they are doing 720p HD, their HD can get by with a little less bandwidth.

You can find more info on this and other local Cincinnati issues in the Cincinnati Thread, which is here :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=306883
post #100 of 14379 Old 11-01-2003, 12:47 PM

[quote]Originally posted by DrDon
[b]While we're near the top of the thread, here's a handy reference of phone numbers you can call when someone misses an HD switch. Be nice and ask them to pass the message to the control room. Some will connect you, but most all of them will pass the message.

WXIX-DT 19/29 Assignment Desk 513-421-0119
WCPO-DT 9/10 Newsroom 513-852-4071*
WKRC-DT 12/31 Newsroom 513-421-3820

Dr Don - thanks for the info. Was just trying to use the WKRC phone# for the first time to see if they missed the HD switch for the 11/1/03 CBS Fla-Ga football game, and the 421-3820 is connecting to a modem at their site. Not sure if they've changed #'s recently. Will give the phone book a try - Thxc
post #101 of 14379 Old 11-01-2003, 12:56 PM

Well, I called the local CBS affiliate in Cincinnati and they stated that the Fla-GA football game will not switch to HD until 4:30pm EST. Any of the pro's on this forum know why this would happen like this? I think I"ll go mow the grass and come back for the 2nd half.

BTW, the WKRC Newsroom phone# is 513-763-5422.
post #102 of 14379 Old 11-01-2003, 01:04 PM

Didn't ask why this game wouldn't go HD until 4:30 on my first call, so called them back and they said it's a local problem in the control room and they're projecting it to be fixed by 4:30pm. The person I spoke to was nice and apologized for the tech difficulty -
post #103 of 14379 Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

The response I got was that "it's on our log that the 4:30 game is the game that's in HD." I mentioned that there IS no different 4:30 game and was told, "Well, we go by what's on the log and the log says to switch at 4:30."

In 4 minutes, we'll know

Doc

post #104 of 14379 Old 11-02-2003, 06:22 AM

That must have been it, as the first time I called they said rather assuredly, that the game wouldn't switch till 4:30. After I hung up I decided to call back to ask why an already active game would switch halfway through the game, and they said someone else had just called (musta been the Dr. calling) and she then said they were having tech difficulties. I don't recall what time the switch did occur, but it moved to HD at some point - Thanks Doc -
post #105 of 14379 Old 11-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

It was right about 4:30, coming out of a commercial break. About ten minutes later, they flipped back to SD for a couple of minutes, but were back in HD after the commercial break that followed that. Obviously, those union people don't vary from the script, even if the script is an hour off.

On another matter, what's up with WCET's time coding? All of my VCRs are slaved to WCET's clock and they're an hour off, this morning. This is the second or third time, recently, where I've noticed all of my VCRs with some time other than the present. The only one with the correct time on it is the one I inadvertantly left on all night.

Doc

post #106 of 14379 Old 11-02-2003, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doc,

That's odd on WCET timeset -- Thanks for the headsup ... I don't look at the clock on the VCR's very often though so I hope it doesn't mess up when I've got something set to record!I use them too, and it was OK here, just did a "forced" auto time set at 10:40am, and it worked OK.

Jeff
post #107 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 AM

Hello -

I just moved this weekend (I'm still sore) and I previously had Directv and an OTA antenna, so I got pretty much all the HDTV programming I wanted. I am in an apartment temporarily and cannot have a Drirectv installed and don't want to fool with an OTA antenna because we'll only be there for a few months. I am considering Insight cable for HDTV programming. Does anyone know what channels Insight offers in HDTV; their rep. said that all the locals are available, but that's not what their website says. Anyone have the real scoop?

Also, does anyone know if Insight is offering or will offer soon a PVR. I really miss my Tivo?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #108 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

I believe the info you're looking for is in Who1zep's Insight info post on pg 3 of this thread, Here :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post2788610

Jeff
post #109 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bengals Game in 4:3

Did anyone watch the Bengals game in HD yesterday? I am using an antenna to get HD via my htpc (MyHD card), and the game was broadcast in 1080i, but only in 4:3, even though my HD tuner said that the signal was "1080x720, 16:9. Why is that?
BTW, other ota channels were shown in 16:9, just not the bengals game.

thanks for your help
post #110 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

The Colts game was the only CBS game in HD, yesterday. Your hdpc card will show 1080i because, when not showing a true HD program on their main channels, the local stations upconvert 480i material to whatever format their transmitter spits out. For WKRC, WLWT and WXIX, that's 1080i. WCPO is 720p. WSTR's transmitter is set for 480i, so there is no upconverting.

Basically, if you see 4:3, it's not HD, but upconverted SD.

The HDTV Programming page is pretty good about keeping you up to date on what programs and live events are in HD. See the sticky topics at the top of that forum.

Doc

post #111 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 12:29 PM

Hi, I am a new member of the AVS Forum, and receive all of the Cincinnati and most of Dayton Digital Stations using a very large antenna in my home here in West Chester. I have been reading for a while that WXIX is broadcasting in 1080i, however, my television is showing it as a SD16:9 signal. Also is WCPO broadcasting in 1080i or 720p, as I know that they were 1080i. Any updates would help, as I do notice a difference in WDTN and WCPO, WDTN seems to be softer. Also if anyone knows someone who is ISF, please tell me, I tweaked a lot, but I am worried about adjusting focus on my CRTs.

Alex
post #112 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Dogg..
Welcome to AVS. Good to have you here.

If you'll read the post prior to yours, you'll see that most of the Cincinnati DT stations TRANSMIT in 1080i. WHIO and WKEF in Dayton, do too. WCPO and WDTN transmit in 720p. WCPO used to upconvert to 1080i, but they quit doing that, opting to show ABC-HD programming natively. Plus, it's a little easier to have a subchannel with 720p as 1080i. You won't see quite as many artifacts during HD programming.

WXIX transmits a 1080i signal, but Fox doesn't offer any 1080i material. All of the "Fox Widescreen" programs are sent from the network in 480p, but upconverted by WXIX to 1080i. Next year, Fox will begin originating some HD programming, but in 720p. No word from WXIX on how they plan to handle it.

Hope that helps

Doc

post #113 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Thanks Doc, I knew that WXIX broadcast in 1080i, but my mits tells me SD16:9, oh well, coming from Eastern Iowa, NBC and ABC OTA, I love all the new channels. CBS I find the most rewarding, even with some macro blocking. Also, where are some higher end home theater stores, not Best Buy or Circuit City, but handle some higher end sets? Any help would be great.

Alex
post #114 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Can't help you much in West Chester. Here in N KY, HH Gregg, BB, CC and Sears is about all we have. That I know of.

Doc

post #115 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 01:48 PM

There are two excellent sources in Montgomery--Audible Elegance is a Pioneer Elite dealer and Alamo Electronics. Audible Elegance is in downtown Montgomery in the historic district and Alamo is just north of there across from Montgomery Elementary school. Also, Unique Home Systems is the Fujitsu dealer (they are in Deer Park) and Sound Waves is located on Kemper Road just west of Chester.

Jack
post #116 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Jeff -

Thanks for the information. It was just what I needed to know.

Jeff
post #117 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 02:48 PM

Location: Boone County, KY 2 miles South of CVG North/South Runway
Audible Elegance has a web site and a new location in Florence next to the Wildwood Inn.

Clarke
post #118 of 14379 Old 11-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by ClarkeR
... next to the Wildwood Inn.

Known for an "audible elegance" all its own .

Doc

post #119 of 14379 Old 11-06-2003, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couple of things ..

#1). Hey, I saw Doc and Amanda on TV last night(B-105 spot on WKRC) -- Looked good!

#2) I noticed that new WPTO-DT 28 (ThinkDTV 14 - CP MOD for WXIX Tower) program listings+associated TWC Dayton Channel designations are currently showing up on ThinkTV's website(near bottom) :

http://www.thinktv.org/program/program.php

Presently, I'm just seeing listings for SD -- Simulcast of analog 14 as well a SD "learning channel" ...

They aren't on the air yet, and I Haven't heard anything new on WPTO-DT recently - Latest info that I had seen anywhere is from early September, when they basically told FCC in the exhibit attached to their latest CP extension app(If granted and used, it would be an extension until 5/04) that at that time, they were planning on trying to be on air by January -- This most current CP extension app is still shown on FCC site as "accepted for filing"(not shown as granted yet) and their current CP extension app expires on 11/9/03 ...

Just speculation of course, but since they have listings for it(seperate from the ThinkDTV14 subchannel listing for WPTD-DT) up on their site now, maybe we'll see them on air before too long. Perhaps Charles at ThinkTV can jump in and give us a quick update ...

Jeff
post #120 of 14379 Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
#1). Hey, I saw Doc and Amanda on TV last night(B-105 spot on WKRC) -- Looked good!

It's all special effects. I'd like to thank George Lucas' "Industrial Light and Magic" for making me look that good. Amanda looks like that all of the time.

But thanks!

Doc

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page