Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1171 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in Newport, KY and have Insight's DVR box with the HD. I am a huge Bengals fan, as well as a football fan, and I am having some trouble with getting the BENGALS ONLY in HD. It seems that EVERY OTHER game on CBS, ABC, and ESPN I can get in HD, but so far, I have been unsuccessful in getting the HD into my home. In week 1, the Jets away game, the no signal on CBS. Then, in week 2, I was at the game, but I set the DVR to record the HD signal, since it was Sunday Night Football, on ESPN, I was SURE that it would record in HD. Well, when I got home, I looked at the recording, and no dice. And then, last week, again, at home, I was there, I set the DVR to record the HD CBS signal, and it came in, but not in HD. And then yesterday, away, Pittsburgh, I was watching, on the CBS HD, and again, no HD signal. I know that the Sunday night game was broadcast in other markets in HD, my friend in VA told me he got it in HD down there.

Is there any reason I cannot get MY local team's games in HD? I am about sick of this only getting other market's games with my equipment. I won't pay the money to Insight each month if it just isn't going to happen for me. I read in this thread earlier that someone said something about calling the station and having them "flip the switch"?

Please help!

Or at least let me know what I can expect!

Thanks in advance.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Only the ESPN game against the fish was in HD - the rest were only in crappy SD (Thanks CBS) - so there was no switch to flip

jim
post #1173 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only Bengals game broadcast in HD this year was the ESPN game. All the others were in standard definition. CBS does very few NFL games in HD and rarely would our beloved Bengals qualify as a marquee matchup worthy of HD.

Does Insight have ESPN-HD? Does your DVR record in HD? I think your issue is with your DVR box and how you get it to record in HD.
post #1174 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

...and even the Miami game could be found in HD only on ESPN HD, not ESPN and not channel 12 or 12-1. The reasons channel 12 didn't offer it on HD are explained earlier in the thread; basically because they were rebroadcasting the ESPN-HD feed. I know cuz I wondered if it would be. I imagine that the Denver Monday nite game on ABC will be the only remaining time to catch the Bengals in HD.

Del, I'm also in No KY, can I ask you to please take a stab at answering my Insight Cable questions, which is about 5 posts back on this thread? I currently have DirectTV.
post #1175 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Bengals will be in HD on MNF Oct 25, I'm assuming it's sold out, in which case WCPO-DT+WKEF-DT should air it in HD.

CBS is doing 3 NFL HD games a week(out of about 6 or 7 per week), I would hardly call that "very few", especially when compared to previous regular seasons, although yes, it isn't as much NFL HD as Fox is doing .... The October 17th game vs. Cleveland apparently will not be in HD. Since there is still a limited number of HD equipped production trucks out there, and the HD audience is still quite small, personally, I would guess which games will be in HD is more of a matter of Logistics than anything else, although who knows, the teams that have the most popularity/etc. nationwide might have something to do with it as well. I would be surprised though if NONE of the Bengals CBS games are HD this year, but who knows at this point.

CBS has been scheduling/announing the HD games only about 3 weeks out, you can see which CBS games will be HD(about 2-3 weeks ahead of time) here :

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/schedules/page/nfl

Fox is doing 6 NFL HD games per week, most weeks I think they are pretty much doing all the games in HD, unless they've got 7 games(such as week one, when the 7th game was SD). Fox has 2 Bengals home games this year, Dallas vs. Bengals on Nov. 7, and Giants at Bengals on Dec 26. Since Fox has 6 games both those weeks, I would assume there is a very, very good chance those 2 games will be HD, and, as long as they are sellouts, we'll get to see them in HD on WXIX-DT(19.1 OTA Cincy)/ WRGT-DT(30-1 Dayton).

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSch...tegoryId=67041

Jeff
post #1176 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 PM

The Insight DVR/HD equipment is the Motorola box that you described. 1 tuner, you can only watch what you are recording, no optical audio output, only coaxial, and I have not been able to get any 5.1 from ANY network other than PBS. Is that to be expected? WHen I called Insight, they said they have no date to expect a dual tuner DVR to this market. Also, if you split your cable once it enters your home, you may encounter signal strength problems. I have.

If I could have DirecTV, I would. To me, the equipment, cost, programming, and signal are all superior to cable. I use the phone company for DSL bundled with my cell phone, so, that takes care of that. Unfortunatly, there is a HUGE tree in front of my house, and last year the tech that Circuit City sent out (the tech was from Louisville!?!?!?) said that I could not get suffieceint signal. What is funny is that my NEXT DOOR neighbor has DirecTV and his dish points right near the tree, he said he has no problems, even to this day, in any weather. I think the install tech wanted to get home, it was late on a cold Saturday, October, and he was from LOIUSVILLE?!?!??!?! When I showed him my neighbors dish, he said that the new 3 line dishes need more sat's to hook up than the one he had on his roof? Is there anything there??? Should I try again?

So should I keep trying to record in HD? I would think that sponsers would want to play EVERY game in HD. If a city has a football team, then they have citizens that have HD!

*******EDITED for previous post. Answered one of my questions********
Keith
post #1177 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by del3030k
I have not been able to get any 5.1 from ANY network other than PBS. Is that to be expected?

Currently in Cincinnati, the Following stations are the only ones which have DD 5.1 Capability, and do in fact broadcast DD 5.1 when "available" :

WCET-DT - CET - (PBS HD)
WCVN-DT - KET - (PBS HD)
WXIX-DT - FOX HD - During Fox programming (I don't remember if Insight carries them or not yet, but you can pick them up with an antenna).

WDTN-DT in Dayton(NBC HD) has DD 5.1, which sounded nice last night during American Dreams ... Hard to say but you *might* have a shot at them OTA as well. If you decide to use Satellite, you need to use the OTA portion of the receiver+a regular ol' antenna for HD from the locals and the Broadcast nets, or you can also purchase a OTA only HD receiver.

Jeff
post #1178 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
Noticed WCET-DT fixed their PSIP problem with 48.1 on Tuesday night. (Warning: Jinx alert ahead).

48-1 is missing again..They need to leave the channel mapped in like WPTO and WPTD have. It would work then. JINX!!

-----------
Robert
post #1179 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by microbob
48-1 is missing again..They need to leave the channel mapped in like WPTO and WPTD have. It would work then. JINX!!

LOL ... That's too funny, not just because of the Jinx Alert(I guess it's somebody's turn to take over from WXIX in that department) because I made that VERY suggestion(I mentioned WCVN-DT/KET as well) when I sent my last email to them(a couple weeks ago), the first one I've ever sent that they didn't respond to for some reason ...

What's even funnier is --- When they are sending EPG info via Off-air guides(which they didn't seem to be last time I checked -- Only WCVN-DT/KET and WLWT-DT seem to currently be sending OTA EPG program guide info - but I have seen WCET-DT send guide info before) -- With 48.1 MIA when they are in 4 channel SD mode, you CAN'T even look at the programming info for 48.1 ....

Jeff
post #1180 of 14370 Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Del:

Thanks for the helpful info on Insight. I think I'll keep DirecTV until Insight gets better, dual-tuner equipment and also gets Fox 19 HD. Your 5.1 question, along with getting Fox 19 in HD and some other OTA stations, is just one reason I want an antenna tuner included in whatever equipment I get from Insight. I currently love my Hughes e-86 tuner.

The tree really could be a problem with DirecTV, however I'd try again with another retailer and hopefully they'll send another tech out. DirecTV was having trouble finding reliable and local techs. Maybe a more creative tech could get you the line of sight you need to the bird. Actually its now 3 birds that you need line of sight with, so that tech was sort of correct, but I try again. When I upgraded to the oval (HD) dish, my tech raised the dish location to avoid some tree problems that were starting to threatening my signal.
post #1181 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 01:52 PM

WSTR-DT 64 is now in 1080i.. Smallville in HD!!

-----------
Robert
post #1182 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally posted by microbob
WSTR-DT 64 is now in 1080i.. Smallville in HD!!

Good news. Thanks for the catch!!

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1183 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent! During Everwood last night, it was still 480i at that time but I thought it looked quite a bit better than usual ... I guess we'll see tonight if they're ready to pass through HD yet ...

Jeff
post #1184 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Whoooo...
Punched over to look and got "Hairy Husband Makeovers." I was ready for them to go BACK to 480i .

post #1185 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL, Oh man the guy with the major frizzies certianly is not "HD-ready"

Hey Doc, what's that email address for them that someone there actually READS?

Jeff
post #1186 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to dig for it. Gave up a long time ago and misplaced it.

post #1187 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
Whoooo...
Punched over to look and got "Hairy Husband Makeovers." I was ready for them to go BACK to 480i .

C'mon, you like it, don't ya!?

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #1188 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul210
C'mon, you like it, don't ya!?

Like it? I qualify to be IN it. .

post #1189 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

thats nasty man! - speaking of nasty, those sob's over at wcpo still have a crappy mnf picture.. I have sent the email once again!!!!

jim
post #1190 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No HD tonight for Gilmore Girls from WSTR-DT, it's just a 4x3 SD upconvert to 1080i, so I guess they aren't quite HD ready as of yet ... Will be interesting to see how long it takes them(hopefully not 2 more years) ...

In addition to LOTR:FOTR in HD(and DD 5.1 - The first from WB), and the remaining LOTR trilogy the next couple of years, as well a Made for TV HD movie, Follows is the list of WB's HD offerings for 2004-05 season :

Monday - EVERWOOD
Tuesday - GILMORE GIRLS; ONE TREE HILL
Wednesday - SMALLVILLE, THE MOUNTAIN
Friday - WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU, COMMANDO NANNY, REBA
Sunday - ONE TREE HILL (EasyView), THE MOUNTAIN (EasyView), JACK & BOBBY

More info here:

http://www.thewb.com/PressRelease/In...181627,00.html

Jeff
post #1191 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

yep.. everything is 4:3 upconvert on wstr - at least the box is showing 1080i
post #1192 of 14370 Old 10-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Significant start, IMHO. Don't think they'd do that if they didn't mean to go forward. And the banners they're running on other stations would indicate they're committed to say the least. Hope so.

post #1193 of 14370 Old 10-06-2004, 06:54 PM

Hello Dr. Don & Nightwatchman,

Everything has been just plugging along, that means viewing HDTV is a shot in the dark. Receiving HDTV broadcasts via my 'in the attic' antenna is hit or miss. Thought I would check in with the Cincy link to see what's going on, and you two are still the main stays.

I keep thinking some new technology will come along and solve all my reception problems, while not requiring me to put an antenna on the roof. Unless you know of something new, guess you guys need to tell me the best antenna installer in east Cincy.

I know this is not the category, 'local HDTV info and reception', but what is everyone doing in Cincy regarding upgrading to LCD or Plasma? I am sure it's just the female in me, but one of those slim units would sure look better in my great room than the 55" rptv box I presently have.

btw, Jeff, now that I am better informed on Guiness, I owe you another supply... even if it is two years late.
post #1194 of 14370 Old 10-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Kathy..

Plasmas and LCDs are nice, but the deep dark secret is that CRTs and RPTVs still hold an edge when it comes to picture quality. I've yet to see a plasma as sharp as my rear-projection Sony (part of that may be due to the fact I keep mine as calibrated as I can).

Sorry to say, but nothing beats the old roof-mount antenna. Although, futzing with yours in the attic, while time consuming, still might land you with better reception. There's a sweet spot somewhere, you just have to put on the asbestos mask and go find it. Took me weeks of trial and error. But if I can get Cincy AND Dayton from the attic, you should be able to get Cincy.

Where are you, precisely, again?

post #1195 of 14370 Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OTA HD receivers with improved reception via Zenith's much touted 5th generation chipset should be available soon ... I'm not sure which specific new products will include the new chip, only that USDTV is planning on using it in their new boxes ...

Also, they have developed a way for the the antenna to "tune/position" itself automatically from info it gets from the receiver. I don't know how long it will be before we see new products(receiver's or antennas) using this new technology(or how expensive they'll be), or how widespread the availability of such products will be, but the Specification for "how it works" was published several months ago.

--------------------

HD wise, I'm using 2 direct-view CRT's here presently - A 38" 16x9 HD display + a 26" 16x9 HD display(The latter being a "cheapie display") ... As Doc mentioned, CRT PQ is outstanding(some models are better than others of course), especially with a calibrated display, and especially concerning picture sharpness and accurate black levels ...

A larger display would be nice(and will be with some sort of flat panel display hung on the wall someday, perhaps), but #1, I don't have room for a RPTV any larger than about 38"~42" or so, if they even make them that small, and #2, there IS no larger 16x9 Direct-view CRT than the one I have ... And #3(really should be #1) - I really like the PQ on a Direct-View CRT ....

Jeff
post #1196 of 14370 Old 10-07-2004, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Will be interesting to see how long it takes them(hopefully not 2 more years) ...

Nope not that long. One tree Hill is in 1080i HD right now.

-----------
Robert
post #1197 of 14370 Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks Good! Woo-hoo! WB HD makes it to Cincinnati! Thanks WSTR-DT+Sinclair

Jeff
post #1198 of 14370 Old 10-07-2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:

It looks Good! Woo-hoo! WB HD makes it to Cincinnati! Thanks WSTR-DT+Sinclair

Now they need to work on getting the video/audio in sync.

jim
post #1199 of 14370 Old 10-07-2004, 07:18 PM

I also noticed that it sounds like they are in mono. It could be related to the sync problem though.

-----------
Robert
post #1200 of 14370 Old 10-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

For anyone who was interested in Insight getting multiple tuner HD/DVR equipment in the future, I emailed them and asked. here is the reply: "Thanks for your email. Insight does not yet offer the DVR equipment with multiple tuners. We hope to be able to offer this in early 2005, but there's no firm date yet."

When they do, I'll likely switch. If anyone else is waiting for that equipment (whether you're a subscriber or not), I urge you to write or call them to put some pressure on.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page