1Likes

post #13921 of 14360 Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

BTW it's odd that the brawl was on national news but that four Ohio teams are in the playoff is not.

Not really. The fact that the teams are from the same state doesn't really have any effect on their games. Of the four, the only expected to have a chance at reaching the Final Four is the winner of UC/OSU. The two other teams are at different sites this weekend and are heavily expected to not make it to the Final Four. Now if somehow three of the four teams in the Final Four ended up being from Ohio....

As for the fight, ANY fight of that magnitude and violence, between any teams of their significance, would have been big national news. It involved a team that was (at the time) top 10 in the nation (XU), and a team in the nation's "premiere power conference" (UC in the Big East). It resulted in major suspensions that therefore affected upcoming conference games, so that was a big deal. The fact that it was a cross-town rivalry, which gets a LITTLE national play, just added to the intrigue of the fight in the national coverage. I've followed college hoops for 30+ years (and I played myself) and it was one of, if not THE, biggest and ugliest fights I have ever seen.

And, yes, making the Sweet 16 is always a big deal. Every time you advance to "the next week", it's huge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13922 of 14360 Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post

Not really. The fact that the teams are from the same state doesn't really have any effect on their games.

Though I'm sure the final four must be a more elite distinction, I think that having a third of the sixteen (including UK & IU) being within 100 miles of us is something special. We are after all talking about (I'm guessing) that is out of hundreds of college teams nationally.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #13923 of 14360 Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Though I'm sure the final four must be a more elite distinction, I think that having a third of the sixteen (including UK & IU) being within 100 miles of us is something special. We are after all talking about (I'm guessing) that is out of hundreds of college teams nationally.

Don't get me wrong, it is unusual and is great for our area, and it makes it more fun for all the fans in overlapping fanbase footprints. But the rest of the nation really doesn't really care that much. We see that UC, XU, Ohio State, Ohio U., Indiana, Kentucky, and Louisville - 7 out of 16 schools left - are in the area that the local Cincinnati news "covers" (at least reports their scores when they play), and we almost all know people who root for each school - but it doesn't really matter to people elsewhere who don't root for any of those schools. If you pointed out the fact to someone in California, they might say "oh, I hadn't noticed that, that's cool." That's about the extent. But it wouldn't be worth, say, ESPN doing a whole piece on it. For one thing, there's not necessarily ties amongst the teams to the area - these teams have players and coaches from all over the country. If these teams were comprised entirely of players from right around their schools, or only in this region, then it would be impressive - there would be stories about how this area of the country clearly produces great basketball players. But as it is, you have coaches from elsewhere, and players from elsewhere, and five different conferences being represented amongst the seven teams. So other than news coverage by media outlets in this region, and overlapping of fanbases, they really have nothing tying them together.

As I briefly mentioned above, North Carolina regularly has three teams in the tourney that are within a few miles of each other - Duke, North Carolina, and NC State. In fact if Duke had not been upset by Lehigh, they might have beaten XU in the next round and then both Ohio and North Carolina would have had three teams in the Sweet 16 from their state, and NC's would have been much closer geographically to each other than Ohio's, and all been in the same conference (ACC). But even that wouldn't have gotten too much media attention - it's just geography.

Hope that makes sense. Not trying to be argumentative, just giving a viewpoint.

P.S. Yes, there are well over 300 Division schools that play basketball. So it is cool to have 7 of the remaining 16 from this area.
post #13924 of 14360 Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Heh, so I saw a headline link to this story and thought "wow, maybe the national press DOES care about Ohio having four teams in the 16!"...

...and then when I clicked on the link, it was from Fox Sports Ohio.

So, yeah... Ohio cares that Ohio has four schools in.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/03/19/1...62&feedID=3724
post #13925 of 14360 Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

... five different conferences being represented amongst the seven teams. So other than news coverage by media outlets in this region, and overlapping of fanbases, they really have nothing tying them together.

The whole "conference" thing is what I wasn't sure of. I didn't want to mention it (or okay, lets call it, "rubbing it in") to my friends in the VA/NC region if it turned out that our six schools were only from a small pool of OH/IN/KY teams in some sort of small midwest conference, rather than nationally.

Whether or not the nation takes note isn't really that important to me. I just didn't want to look like a total noob (well maybe I am ) Anyway, thanks for your answers.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #13926 of 14360 Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:

I didn't want to mention it (or okay, lets call it, "rubbing it in") to my friends in the VA/NC region if it turned out that our six schools were only from a small pool of OH/IN/KY teams in some sort of small midwest conference, rather than nationally.

Kentucky is the northernmost school in a conference that covers the southeast, stretching from Arkansas to South Carolina and all the way down to Gainesville, FL. Cincinnati and Louisville are in a conference that reaches from New York and Connecticut over to Wisconsin (Marquette), but with most schools located in the northeast. Xavier's conference spreads across the mid-Atlantic, and with the exception of St. Louis University and Dayton, all the other teams are well east of here. Ohio State and Indiana are in the Big Ten, solidly covering big state schools from Minnesota, across the upper midwest over to Pennsylvania. Ohio University is the only school that somewhat fits your description, the MAC, with small schools in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, northern Illinois, and, randomly, Buffalo.

Virtually all the schools in your friends "neighborhood" are in the same conference, the ACC. UNC, NC St., Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, etc. They are usually a dominant basketball conference but they had a "relatively" down year.
post #13927 of 14360 Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:

My original post was, as I said above, because jimp used to go out of his way to diligently post all that info back in the days when it was harder to know and when everything was only on CBS. Part of my point was that these days, we don't really need it, but he did such a great job and took such pride in diligently providing us with the info (to the point where people relied on it) that I was half-jokingly wondering if he was still going to do it, just for old times' sake. Hence the big smiley in the post.

Sorry you guys got caught in an inside joke and didn't know the history.

And, as to that original question, his absence since implies clearly not.

I believe it was also jimp that gave us the lowdown on NFL football games. Back then only certain games were HD and it was good to know what games were available from Dayton also.
post #13928 of 14360 Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Anybody know if WCET was down for a while Saturday night? My wife had set Masterpiece to record and more than half of it was no signal. Later that night (11-ish?) I tried tuning into 48.1, .2, and .3 and none had a signal. It was working fine Sunday morning so I'm assuming it was on their end....
post #13929 of 14360 Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Anybody know if WCET was down for a while Saturday night? My wife had set Masterpiece to record and more than half of it was no signal. Later that night (11-ish?) I tried tuning into 48.1, .2, and .3 and none had a signal. It was working fine Sunday morning so I'm assuming it was on their end....

CET was have problems between 10 PM Saturday to 2:30 an Sunday.
post #13930 of 14360 Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Liked: 14
From John Kiesewetter's blog: 'New Xtreme Sounds' on WXIX-TV's Bounce.

It's good to see local programming on a new station where it will get more exposure!
post #13931 of 14360 Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Few things about WKRC ...

#1). Noticed lately during some commercials (not sure what all is affected, as haven't had time to watch much TV, but the local news and what I've checked from CBS HD have been fine) it looks like Field Order is reversed ... As if say, some of these commercials(or whatever) are BFF but encoded/flagged as TFF (or vice versa) ... Update: Watching from 6pm~8pm tonight, it seems this issue only involves a limited number of commercials ...

#2). WKRC TVGOS streams are broken -- They are referenced in program 1 PMT (PID address 0x0030) at PID addresses 0x00110 and 0x0111 as usual, but the streams aren't actually present in the transport stream ...

#3). PAT (0x0000) Currently has bandwidth of about 1.8Mb/s (what you might expect for null packet stream or Mobile DTV/MH stream, not a PAT), there is no null packet stream in their TS currently .... Video streams of program 1("12.1") and 2("12.2") are static bandwidth(14.07Mb/s for 12.1, 2.66Mb/s for 12.2), which seems unusual given they previously used Stat Mux ... Update: Also, PAT is chock full of continuity errors ....

#2 and #3 has been going on at least several days, probably longer, not sure how long #1 has been happening ....

--------------------

4/25 Update (16:35EDT) - #2+#3 above Have been Fixed as of currently, WKRC TS is back to normal (with TVGOS streams+Null packet stream) ...

Jeff
post #13932 of 14360 Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Hey guys it has been a while since I last researched this. But can you guys tell me the best reasonably priced OTA hdtv antenna? Thanks.

EDIT- something like U4000 is only for like attic right? I am looking to pick up channels 60 to 100 miles away. http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-6548.html

What about the Winegard 7082P? Would that be suggested over the U4000? http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...17478&more=yes

I'm on in the wrong forum, or website even with these questions?
post #13933 of 14360 Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Hey guys it has been a while since I last researched this. But can you guys tell me the best reasonably priced OTA hdtv antenna? Thanks.

EDIT- something like U4000 is only for like attic right? I am looking to pick up channels 60 to 100 miles away. http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-6548.html

What about the Winegard 7082P? Would that be suggested over the U4000? http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...17478&more=yes

I'm on in the wrong forum, or website even with these questions?

mphfrom77,

No, this is definitely the place to ask for help with this, and there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

First off, it's good to go to tvfool.com and get a report of what you should be able to pick up from your home, and how strong those stations are. You can post that report here and get a more detailed recommendation.

Also, what markets are you looking to pick up fro your location? Cincinnati and Louisville have channels in the high-VHF range (WKRC on RF12 and WHAS on RF11), Lexington and Dayton are all-UHF.

The U4000 you posted is a great UHF antenna, and is designed for an outdoor mount. It does fairly well in an attic, but not well enough to get you the 60-100 mile coverage you're looking for. Also, the bow-tie antennas sometimes tend to have multipath issues in the attic, depending on the construction of your house.

Antennacraft and Winegard both make a combined high-VHF and UHF yagi antenna, similar to the older-style combination antennas but not as wide (since they don't cover 2-6 or FM) and thus, less wind load.
Antennacraft's version, which is all I typically install, is the HBU series. The HBU44 or HBU55 would be your best bet in this series.
http://www.summitsource.com/advanced...ft+HBU&x=0&y=0
Winegard's version is the HD-769x series. The 7697 or 7698 would work for you in this case.
http://www.summitsource.com/advanced...rd+769&x=0&y=0

I have found in my installs that these typically work better than separate UHF and VHF antennas, if you plan on combining the two into the same coax. Then again, every situation is different, and your mileage may vary.

If all you need is UHF, my recent favorite has been the Antennacraft G1483. It's not the most directional, but definitely yielded the most gain of any UHF antenna I've installed.
The Antennacraft MXU59 and Winegard HD-9095P are great UHF yagi's also.
http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-6356.html
http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-6337.html
http://www.summitsource.com/winegard...le-p-4566.html

If you decide to do the separate UHF/VHF route, the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 is your best bet for high-VHF. You'll also need a good band separator (don't use a splitter, you'll lose 4dB gain), such as the CM 0549.

http://www.summitsource.com/antennac...le-p-9259.html

Lastly, make sure you get a good low-noise preamp. Winegard and Channel Master make great amps.

I hope this helps, and feel free to post any further questions here!

-Rob
post #13934 of 14360 Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Thank you very much Robert. I will review those models along with tvfool over the next couple days and let you know what I come up with.
post #13935 of 14360 Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjchambers View Post

Cincinnati and Louisville have channels in the high-VHF range (WKRC on RF12 and WHAS on RF11)...

Has anyone around Cincinnati been able to get WHAS, even through tropospheric ducting? If so, I don't think anyone has mentioned it in this thread. Back when analog was on the air, WAVE wasn't too difficult to receive if your antenna could pick up low-VHF.
post #13936 of 14360 Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoraX695 View Post

Has anyone around Cincinnati been able to get WHAS, even through tropospheric ducting?

Yes, on 55 pre-transition and 11 post-transition(via tropo from here).
LL

Jeff
post #13937 of 14360 Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

Yes, on 55 pre-transition and 11 post-transition(via tropo from here).

Let me rephrase that: have any of us mere mortals gotten it?

My TV Fool report puts it at around -20 dBm. I guess I have to wait for a really good opening.
post #13938 of 14360 Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
is wkrc 12-2 broadcasting in hd. my tivo says 12-2 programs are broadcast in hd while my tv with a converter box says its not broadcasting in hd. which one is correct?

which outdoor antenna will improve my (daytime) reception of indianapolis tv. most nights in sharonville the antennacraft u4000 will pick up the uhf stations (channel 6, wipb in marion indiana and others) but the vhf stations 8 and 13 only come in during trippo nights. My house is on a hill with a clear view to the west/northwest. Am i wasting my time and money?
post #13939 of 14360 Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
WKRC's .2 sub-channel is 480i (SD) regardless of what the DVR says.
post #13940 of 14360 Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The only way to CW in HD is to point your antenna towards Dayton and then tune to 26.1. I'm too far south of Dayton to get WBDT but you might get a good signal in Cincinnati especially in the northern burbs their would be no problems getting WBDT.

-----------
Robert
post #13941 of 14360 Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Has anybody noticed fairly significant pixellation on ESPNHD from Time Warner on the east side of Cincinnati (the Magic vs Pacers game tonight looks terrible)? I complained to TWC several weeks ago and ultimately, after several service calls, their engineers effectively said it was the result of processing of local commercials and that only a few customer were complaining (i.e., too bad until more people complain). I am surprised there are not more people complaining.
post #13942 of 14360 Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure why local commercials would effect picture quality on ESPN programming. It sounds like a BS answere to me. I hope when Insight Communications becomes TWC they don't mess things up too much. You should try getting a response on their CS twitter handle. @twcablehelp

-----------
Robert
post #13943 of 14360 Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 AM

Here is the email response they sent me (sounds like local ad insertions add more processing):

To clarify my statement below, we locally encode 24 HD channels on our network to gain efficiencies on bandwidth allowing us to combine three HD services on to one linear 256 QAM. Sports channels with constant motion and action are the most difficult to process and our local ad insertions equipment also adds additional processing. Unfortunately this additional processing contributes to the digital artifacts seen by a small portion of our subscribers. Other factors may weigh in with the subscriber's TV accentuating the issue. ESPNU and ESPN News are in our Switched Digital Video (SDV) pool and are not processed to the extent as ESPN, ESPN2 and FSN HD.

Our local processing and encoding equipment is of high quality and we make every effort to provide our subscribers with the best product we can. As our network evolves in the future improvements and efficiencies will be gained with local processing equipment reducing artifacts and improving quality.

Feedback from our subscribers is very important and we will continue to monitor and evaluate our options. There are no immediate plans for changes or adjustment.
post #13944 of 14360 Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Is this Cable TV Operators admitting that Broadcast TV is much higher quality than what they put out?
post #13945 of 14360 Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 32
Not at all... And "much higher quality" really isn't accurate IMO. While noticeably better (to folks like me and you) for most they are indiscernable from one another.

After watching strictly OTA for the past few years, and knowing precisely what looks good and what doesn't (73" screen), I have been watching the local networks HD offerings off TW and I can assure you, while there is still a difference in OTA favor, Cable has greatly improved.

Now, I will be returning to OTA as soon as I get a replacement UVSJ (under $2) for a bad one. But in the interim, TW is certainly not a bad fall back.
post #13946 of 14360 Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Hello all,
I am in the Cleves area about 15-20 miles west of downtown. I have had an outdoor amplified antenna mounted on North East corner of house). I have Dish Network, but occasionally use the OTA option to DVR-record a 3rd show--I have 2 tuner set up through Dish). I just bought a new LED, and when I hooked up antenna to TV initially, it picked up same stations (5, 9, 12, 19, etc), plus had strong signal to several Dayton stations, too.

Now my problem. I mounted LED to wall, and now when I hook up antenna to either tv directly, or to Dish STB, I only get Channel 12 including subchannels. My guess is that the Channel 12 has strongest signal, and somehow I have lost amplification from the antenna and now can't get the other channels....

I've checked all the connections, but there is no way that I can figure out how to tell if I am even getting power to the antenna for amplification. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks
post #13947 of 14360 Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM

When you know your OTA equipment can receive UHF frequencies but your new (or moved, or disconnected/reconnected) arrangement shows only the VHF channel and no UHF, it's because the tuner has reverted to a default setting of "cable" as a source rather than "off-air". Make sure your input is set to "antenna" or "off-air" and re-scan for channels it can pick up.
post #13948 of 14360 Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyromark View Post

When you know your OTA equipment can receive UHF frequencies but your new (or moved, or disconnected/reconnected) arrangement shows only the VHF channel and no UHF, it's because the tuner has reverted to a default setting of "cable" as a source rather than "off-air". Make sure your input is set to "antenna" or "off-air" and re-scan for channels it can pick up.

Thanks, Mark for the suggestion. Checked, and everything seemed to be right. The Dish STB has options for OTA, Cable, IRC and HRC. Not sure what those last two settings are, but I tried them anyway. Nothing.

I'm thinking I've lost amplification/power for the antenna. It was a cheaper $50 Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna, but I get the same signal meter on the VHF (Channel 9) with/without the amplifier, and I get no signal at all for the other (UHF) channels with/without the amplifier hooked up. So I'm guessing the antenna can't/doesn't get the UHF signals without power/amplification...

Can't decide if I should try to just buy a new amplifier and hook up to the existing antenna, or just buy a whole new amplified antenna, and see if that works...
post #13949 of 14360 Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Liked: 32
I suggest you just replace the known defective amp and be done with it, rather than attempt to reinvent the wheel...so to speak.
post #13950 of 14360 Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Make sure your amplifier is completely separate from the antenna. I had a RS antenna that had the amplifier housed in a fancy V shaped plastic casing that was integrated into the antenna. It used a remote power injector that could be confused as the whole amplifier.

The amp went out on mine and it would only pick up very strong signals - much worse than a simple set of rabbit ears w/ UHF loop. Didn't matter if the power injector was connected or not. If that's what you have, trying to replace the power injector with a new amplifier won't work.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page