Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 480 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #14371 of 14378 Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here’s my TVFool http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dec2f385689757 b

With Dayton and Cincy at about 200° apart I had 2 antenna A/B to try to get everything. I started with just a 71” from Radio Shack that did one or the other pretty well, but not both. It would pick up Cincy off of the back, but not well enough. I added an RCA ANT751R for Cincy, but still had dropouts and weak signals. After searching for a bi-directional antenna, I ended up making the Stealth Hawk. It was an easy build and pretty much free (already had everything I needed) and does as well if not better than the 2 antenna combined. I get pretty much 80% or better on everything I had before. And now Iget channel 25.1 (broadcast on 47) at about 30%. WDYC (36) WKOI (39) & WCVN(24) are 0-10%. But, I don’t get WOTH (20), WBQC (25) or WRGT (30).

Looking at the TVFool it seems I should be getting these(and better reception on 47), but can’t seem to bring them in regardless of where I’m aiming. I never got any of them with the other antenna either (or even knew they existed) so maybe it’s something between me and the broadcasts that’s keeping them out, but I get 9 & 12 @ 100% and it seems at least 47, 25 & 36 are in the same place.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14372 of 14378 Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hovey View Post
Here’s my TVFool http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dec2f385689757 b

With Dayton and Cincy at about 200° apart I had 2 antenna A/B to try to get everything. I started with just a 71” from Radio Shack that did one or the other pretty well, but not both. It would pick up Cincy off of the back, but not well enough. I added an RCA ANT751R for Cincy, but still had dropouts and weak signals. After searching for a bi-directional antenna, I ended up making the Stealth Hawk. It was an easy build and pretty much free (already had everything I needed) and does as well if not better than the 2 antenna combined. I get pretty much 80% or better on everything I had before. And now Iget channel 25.1 (broadcast on 47) at about 30%. WDYC (36) WKOI (39) & WCVN(24) are 0-10%. But, I don’t get WOTH (20), WBQC (25) or WRGT (30).

Looking at the TVFool it seems I should be getting these(and better reception on 47), but can’t seem to bring them in regardless of where I’m aiming. I never got any of them with the other antenna either (or even knew they existed) so maybe it’s something between me and the broadcasts that’s keeping them out, but I get 9 & 12 @ 100% and it seems at least 47, 25 & 36 are in the same place.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Looks like you're close enough to the Cincy stations that they should be fairly easy to get. I'm guessing you're using the antenna indoors, not outdoors?
Dayton stations probably aren't going to be possible with any antenna used indoors. I've got an old style CM4228 and a 91XG antenna mounted on the roof. With either antenna pointed SW I get
Cincy channels fine and Dayton off the back side. I only have the #4228 hooked up now here in Clermont County. Long story short.....get the antenna outside if at all possible.

OTA and old C band 8' dish in Goshen, 47" Vizio 3D Tv with Philips 3D Dvd player, Gateway 3.6Ghz - 2Tb computer for home theatre setup
Old style CM4228 and 91XG antennas

post #14373 of 14378 Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM

Antenna's outside. About 30' high.
I get all the Dayton fine (80%+). It's just those few Cincy channels that give me trouble. I might be Clear Channel (now in kenwood) has transmitters or something on the roof that's messing with my signal.
I was pretty amazed when I put the little antenna up and get better signal than my 71".
luvmyhdtv likes this.
post #14374 of 14378 Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hovey View Post
I might be Clear Channel (now in kenwood) has transmitters or something on the roof that's messing with my signal.
How else is the WEBN frog going to control the fireworks on Sunday? Seriously, I don't think that's the issue unless you have obstacles directly in your line-of-sight path like trees. You could also be dealing with multi-path, which is difficult to diagnose in the digital era. (In the analog era, you would see ghosting in the picture.) From your location, you should get everything from Cincinnati and perhaps only have issues with WKOI (RF 39, virtual 43) because it's off-axis.

Are you using an amplifier (installed at the TV) or pre-amplifier (installed at the antenna, but powered close to the TV)? That may cause overloading and wash out your weaker channels. Are you using new RG-59 cable from the antennas to your TV? If you're using old and weathered cable, it could be losing signal. Or there could be a short in it. There's also a chance that your homemade antenna has a problem, especially if you also have a homemade balun.

P.S. WBQC is RF 47, virtual 25, so you're already getting that weakly. WRGT from Dayton can be tough to get in our general area because their transmitting antenna doesn't radiate a lot of power south. (See this link from TV Fool.) Nobody can get WOTH (RF 20, physical 38) because it's not broadcasting at the moment. Although there was an article in the Enquirer hinting that the new transmitting antenna for RF 20 was installed a few weeks ago...
luvmyhdtv likes this.
post #14375 of 14378 Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 AM

OK. So it sounds like I’m actually getting everything I should. I didn’t realize WBQC was listed twice. (once as LD (47) and as LP(25)) I get WRGT, but didn’t realize it was virtual 45. So the only thing I’m really missing is a stronger WCVN which @ ~14 miles it seems I should have. (I have 48, 14 & 16, but we do like our PBS )

I have RG-6 running about 35’ straight to the TV (which I thought was better than 59?). I have a distribution amp to feed other TVs, but I’m bypassing it right now. I’m using a commercial balun since I had a few lying around.

Someone on the DIgitalhome forum suggested I build one of the slightly more complex versions of the antenna to get a little better gain and range. I built this version http://clients.teksavvy.com/~nickm/sh/sh_U_3_9.html in about 10 minutes and it does as well as any commercial antenna I’ve had and being bi-directional, is ideal for this area. It seems to have much better range than any of the omni-directionals I’ve tried. I’ll try making the “Super” version this weekend and report back.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Paul Hovey; 08-28-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #14376 of 14378 Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

its the FBI thats jamming you

from the map, you appear to have direct line of site to 5,9, and 12 - Clear channel is not in your way.
post #14377 of 14378 Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everyone gets confused about the digital channel mappings. It's both a blessing (stations can keep their original analog channel number and can tell everyone to "just rescan" when they move frequencies) and a curse (keeping everything straight, plus possible conflicts when distant stations come in during tropospheric ducting events).

I guess the only other issue could be with your homebrew antenna itself. You should be OK if you follow the directions very carefully, including building the feed lines to the balun properly, but things could go awry if something is off and affect the weaker signals. You could also try building two of them and hook them together into an array. (It's a three-day weekend for most of us anyway, might as well put it to good use!)
post #14378 of 14378 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

Liked: 10
If you run into issues with the home made antennas not being able to withstand inclement weather I recommend the HDX 1000 from Antennacraft.

http://antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasAmplified.html

I have tested this at my home in Covington, KY which is very close to several TV towers. Despite this I got perfect reception on every Cincy channel with no overload from the low power pre amp. I did not get any Dayton stations but that is because I had the antenna mounted at ground level and I am surrounded by some taller brick structures nearby. Hope to try to roof mount an antenna and get it above the roof line of the home that blocks signals from Dayton to see what this will do as well as other antennas.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page