Cincinnati, OH - HDTV - Page 496 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #14851 of 14863 Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
WCPO knocked off the air.

WCPO was off the air during tonight's storms. As of 11:30 pm they were back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14852 of 14863 Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb1a46e8c966
Afternoon, I see this thread is still very active so I am hoping you guys can help me find an antenna to put in my attic. I live in a neighborhood that has restrictions on having an outside antenna so that is not an option. Before our house was built i ran my own coax cable from the attic to my basement where all of my lines run from the rooms. I currently have a walmart special up there and am receiving most of the local channels. 19 is spotty at best on all but 1 tv. My house is facing north directly parallel to I-75 (which is about 60 yards from my house). Antenna will be apx 25 feet off the ground. My attic is fairly large but I would prefer nothing too large. I am a true beginner so anything that could be plug and play would be great. I have also attached a copy of my tvfool report. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All (1).png
Views:	53
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1629737  

Last edited by DrDon; 08-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #14853 of 14863 Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrfitz View Post
Afternoon, I see this thread is still very active so I am hoping you guys can help me find an antenna to put in my attic. I live in a neighborhood that has restrictions on having an outside antenna so that is not an option. Before our house was built i ran my own coax cable from the attic to my basement where all of my lines run from the rooms. I currently have a walmart special up there and am receiving most of the local channels. 19 is spotty at best on all but 1 tv. My house is facing north directly parallel to I-75 (which is about 60 yards from my house). Antenna will be apx 25 feet off the ground. My attic is fairly large but I would prefer nothing too large. I am a true beginner so anything that could be plug and play would be great. I have also attached a copy of my tvfool report.

Thanks in advance!!
First, as stated in the antenna help sticky thread, a link is better than a screenshot. Since you have fewer than 5 posts, PM me the link and I'll insert it FOR you.

Second, HOAs cannot restrict television antennas beyond historical or safety reasons. Exceptions are condos and townhomes where the roof may be shared. I've lived in two neighborhoods where such restrictions have existed and have happily put up antennas and DirecTV dishes. The latter was an expensive legal battle, but I prevailed. It's also the reason they didn't argue the OTA antenna.

That said, I lived in Florence for a while and had great success with a large combo in the attic. I WAS on a hill, however, so that helped. I could get Cincy and Dayton stations from there. I miss that house.
tomrfitz likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #14854 of 14863 Old 08-29-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
second what doc says.. HOA's cant stop you.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

I am in maineville and can receive all Cincinnati stations with an old winegard sensar in the garage attic - 20 feet off the ground. I had it in the attic for a while but moved it outside to combine with an antenna to get dayton stations (for some odd reason I am still a browns fan) - at the time I did test it inside and it still worked well.
post #14855 of 14863 Old 11-08-2016, 12:16 PM

I can always get WBQC but not WOTH

How can that be? Same power, same location, same height. WOTH engineer says they are on the air. WBQC's signal is weak but always stable.

I live in Morrow, OH. Elevation is 760 feet on the ground, antenna is probably 40 feet off the ground. I have an Antenna Craft U8000 and Antenna Craft FM6 stacked on a five foot pole above the rotor with the U8000 on top. I'm on a bluff on the southside of the Little Miami River Valley. Signals from Cincy are 1st edge diffracted, Dayton is LOS.

WKRC is strong, WSTR moderately strong, but the other Cincy stations have moderate signals. The Dayton stations are off the charts even though they are an extra mile or two away and even with the antenna turned in the wrong direction. Usually can't get WCVN turning the antenna a little counterclockwise but can on occasions depending on weather and time of day.

I have about 25 extra feet of cable run outside. I later ran more cable out of the family room to the bedroom TV on the other side of the house (direct, not split) with no degradation in signal. So, I don't think I'm losing much signal from the long cable run on the outside (100 feet). Cable is RCA RG6 Quad.

I tried using an amp, but that made the overall reception worse

I also notice that the directional characteristics seem to be off on some channels and FM radio stations. Both antennas are aimed the same way. The antennas are just slightly off from what the compass says.

I realize the antennas would benefit from more spacing and that I don't have the best antennas or setup. However, I had a hard time getting this through my HOA and don't want to rock the boat more with a modification.
post #14856 of 14863 Old 11-08-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
remember - your hoa cannot limit your placement of an antenna(s). You have the right to an installation that allows you to receive the terrestrial broadcast, even if that means more than one.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

I am in maineville at 802 antenna elevation and woth and wbqc are generally ok.. Dont watch either that much, but when I do tune thru they usually work just fine.
post #14857 of 14863 Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try a rotor.

I have a home in Covington, KY directly across the river from downtown Cincinnati. I can get Ch. 2, 7, 16 and 22 from Dayton there. But here is the caveat. To receive Ch. 2 and watch it I have to rotate the antenna a few degrees. In fact, I get a better signal if I move the antenna a few inches lower than the spot where Ch. 7 comes in best. Ch. 22, since they upgraded their signal, comes in pretty well in either spot.

Fixed antennas can work with analog signals for the most part, but I am not convinced that it can work for digital HDTV. Too many things affect the signal especially if it is not a local signal. Moving the antenna just a few inches up or down or side to side can make all the difference in the world. And other times, after I have moved the antenna in that manner, I will have to move it a few inches yet again because some kind of signal interference interrupts some signals. Best to have a rotor.
post #14858 of 14863 Old 11-08-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post
remember - your hoa cannot limit your placement of an antenna(s). You have the right to an installation that allows you to receive the terrestrial broadcast, even if that means more than one.

<<<LINK EDITED>>>

I am in maineville at 802 antenna elevation and woth and wbqc are generally ok.. Dont watch either that much, but when I do tune thru they usually work just fine.

They can't tell you that you can't have an antenna, but they can dictate placement and size within reason (although I consider this a grey area that's rather hard to enforce).

I played with tvfool and put my cursor over Maineville some months ago and did note your signal levels spring up drastically.
post #14859 of 14863 Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Try a rotor.

I have a home in Covington, KY directly across the river from downtown Cincinnati. I can get Ch. 2, 7, 16 and 22 from Dayton there. But here is the caveat. To receive Ch. 2 and watch it I have to rotate the antenna a few degrees. In fact, I get a better signal if I move the antenna a few inches lower than the spot where Ch. 7 comes in best. Ch. 22, since they upgraded their signal, comes in pretty well in either spot.

Fixed antennas can work with analog signals for the most part, but I am not convinced that it can work for digital HDTV. Too many things affect the signal especially if it is not a local signal. Moving the antenna just a few inches up or down or side to side can make all the difference in the world. And other times, after I have moved the antenna in that manner, I will have to move it a few inches yet again because some kind of signal interference interrupts some signals. Best to have a rotor.

Yes, I mentioned I have a rotor. Handy even if you have signals coming from one direction in the event the wind blows your antenna around a little.
post #14860 of 14863 Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwilliams View Post
Yes, I mentioned I have a rotor. Handy even if you have signals coming from one direction in the event the wind blows your antenna around a little.
Sometimes tilting the antenna a few degrees backward or even forward can result in a stable signal. Crazy but true.
post #14861 of 14863 Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 PM

General Antenna Question

I'm looking to replace my 4 bay antenna with something that has a little more gain. At my home in Covington, I can get Ch. 2 from Dayton but with some breakup. I can usually eliminate that problem if I lower the antenna a few inches but then I essentially lose Ch. 7 from Dayton.

In light of this I am wondering what other people in SW OH and NKY are using to pick up fringe UHF signals from their location. I have tried several other antennas at my location including the Antennacraft Super G 1483 8 bay, MXU 47 and MXU 59. Oddly enough the Antennacraft U4000 4 bay has given me the best reception with the exception of this recent problem.

I read a review from someone around 50 miles east of Cincinnati that replaced a 91XG from Antennas Direct with a Televes DAT 790. He said that gain across the board increased and he can get every signal out of Cincinnati with a solid lock. While I have not had good luck previously with the Yagi antennas mentioned I am wondering if the Televes is going to be a better choice based upon the experiences this has had. I had a 91XG at one time and it was essentially the same antenna as the MXU 59 in terms of reception range and overall performance. Each antenna was a bit better on certain signals while slightly worse on others but only by about 1 db or less of gain.

Any ideas?

Last edited by WILWRadio; 11-13-2016 at 08:03 PM.
post #14862 of 14863 Old 11-21-2016, 04:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm looking to replace my 4 bay antenna with something that has a little more gain. At my home in Covington, I can get Ch. 2 from Dayton but with some breakup. I can usually eliminate that problem if I lower the antenna a few inches but then I essentially lose Ch. 7 from Dayton.

In light of this I am wondering what other people in SW OH and NKY are using to pick up fringe UHF signals from their location. I have tried several other antennas at my location including the Antennacraft Super G 1483 8 bay, MXU 47 and MXU 59. Oddly enough the Antennacraft U4000 4 bay has given me the best reception with the exception of this recent problem.

I read a review from someone around 50 miles east of Cincinnati that replaced a 91XG from Antennas Direct with a Televes DAT 790. He said that gain across the board increased and he can get every signal out of Cincinnati with a solid lock. While I have not had good luck previously with the Yagi antennas mentioned I am wondering if the Televes is going to be a better choice based upon the experiences this has had. I had a 91XG at one time and it was essentially the same antenna as the MXU 59 in terms of reception range and overall performance. Each antenna was a bit better on certain signals while slightly worse on others but only by about 1 db or less of gain.

Any ideas?
Just saw your post from a few weeks ago. I'm in Goshen and have an old style 8 bay CM4228. It's been up there a few years and no problems.
I've got a 91XG currently unhooked, which gives me about the same results. 70 channels now between Cincy and Dayton.
I do have a Channel master amp too...Can't remember if its a CM7777 or 78. It certainly helps with several channels, so maybe
that's an option for you.

KU 36" dish / C band 8' dish no longer hooked up, 47" Vizio 3D Tv with Philips 3D Dvd player, Gateway 3.6Ghz - 2Tb computer for home theatre setup
Old style CM4228 and 91XG antennas for OTA.

post #14863 of 14863 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhdtv View Post
Just saw your post from a few weeks ago. I'm in Goshen and have an old style 8 bay CM4228. It's been up there a few years and no problems.
I've got a 91XG currently unhooked, which gives me about the same results. 70 channels now between Cincy and Dayton.
I do have a Channel master amp too...Can't remember if its a CM7777 or 78. It certainly helps with several channels, so maybe
that's an option for you.
^^^Thanks for posting your experience there.
luvmyhdtv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page