Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Gregg, I submitted it on your website a few days ago. I'll email you offline

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 AM

Anyone know why Bridgeport PBS stopped broadcasting the Hd feed again?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalve View Post

Anyone know why Bridgeport PBS stopped broadcasting the Hd feed again?

It's not just WEDW either. WEDN also has halted their HD transmission, just analog simulcast.

Last time this happened, it had something to do with WEDN (I think the HD transmission for WEDW originates from WEDN, then microwaved to Bridgeport) having an analog transmitter problem (channel 53) or something like that. Don't bother emailing CPTV, they never write back.

I know a guy at a cable company who could maybe shed some light on it. I think they may fill him in on what's going on with this stuff.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Liked: 12
Speaking of CPTV, I noticed that last evening (Saturday, January 14th), from at least about 7-8PM and possibly until sign-off time at midnight, analog Channel 24 was broadcasting a black screen over-the-air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanek View Post

Has anyone recently had problems with the WTNH signal? I've always received it with a signal strength of 65-70% on my Dish Network 811 receiver and never had any picture issues. Since yesterday, however, I'm getting severe pixelation and dropouts, even though the signal strength is exactly the same. It's unwatchable in it's current state. I'm just trying to figure out if it's an issue with the signal or my receiver.

I receive WTNH-DT over-the-air in East Windsor with a Dish Network 811. The signal strength changes between 68-70%. I haven't noticed any recent severe pixelation, just occasional large blocks of lime-green pixels or rows of different color pixels on the same horizontal line.

I also haven't noticed any current on-going audio problems, but during the last few months of 2005 the audio would frequently drop out. These were not temporary "hiccups" as on other local digital channels; the digital Channel 8 audio would not come back on its own even though the video continued on as normal. I had to press the "Channel Up" or "Channel Down" key on the remote to leave WTNH-DT. When I returned to the channel a few seconds later, the audio would be restored.

An engineer at another local station posted awhile back that sometimes there is so much information in the PSIP stream accompanying a digital transmission that the stream can sometimes "choke" the audio/video and cause drop-outs and lip-sync issues. I wondered if that was what was happening with my reception of WTNH-DT.

I'm curious if your 811 has a "dislike" for WVIT-DT(NBC30). It takes longer for my receiver to lock onto this channel than any other, and, once it does lock on, the video will either freeze within a few minutes or the "Lost Signal" advisory will eventually be superimposed over a black screen. These lock-on problems occur even though the channel can register a signal strength of 87%. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post

I'm curious if your 811 has a "dislike" for WVIT-DT(NBC30). It takes longer for my receiver to lock onto this channel than any other, and, once it does lock on, the video will either freeze within a few minutes or the "Lost Signal" advisory will eventually be superimposed over a black screen. These lock-on problems occur even though the channel can register a signal strength of 87%. Thanks for any feedback.

For my WTNH problem I ended up tweaking the antenna in the attice a bit to get a couple % more signal (~70%), at the expense of a couple other stations' signals, but all seems stable now.

WVIT is my strongest signal (usually ~82%). I never have a problem locking in but I do get audio and video breakup once in a while. Strangely enough, it consistently does it during Law and Order shows when they have their break between scenes, play their trademark sound, and show a black screen with text. The signal always breaks up going from that screen into the next scene. Something to do with going from low data stream to high?

Otherwise WVIT is fine on my 811.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 AM

When I was messing around trying to get 61 to come in, I moved my antenna to point more due west, which for me would get me a stronger signal. It didn't work, but formerly I had to have the thing pointed EXACTLY at WTNH to get that to come in at all. Surprise, 8 comes in fine. Now I just need PBS. I can get WGBY if I hook an apm to the antenna, but if I do that it exagerates the multipath from 8 and I can't get that. I am glad I had the OTA setup this weekend though. My cable box freaked out on my and was not displaying properly and once you have watched football in HD, it is tough to watch it any other way.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 AM

Did anyone have any problems tuning in WTIC last night - specifically, 24 in HD OTA ? I couldn't get a reliable signal all day (including the NFL Playoffs), but was hoping that it would be fixed by 24. No luck. Just glad I TIVO'd a backup copy of the Satellite instead of counting on it OTA. For those of you who don't watch it, you're missing a great show.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanek View Post

For my WTNH problem I ended up tweaking the antenna in the attice a bit to get a couple % more signal (~70%), at the expense of a couple other stations' signals, but all seems stable now.

WVIT is my strongest signal (usually ~82%). I never have a problem locking in but I do get audio and video breakup once in a while. Strangely enough, it consistently does it during Law and Order shows when they have their break between scenes, play their trademark sound, and show a black screen with text. The signal always breaks up going from that screen into the next scene. Something to do with going from low data stream to high?

Otherwise WVIT is fine on my 811.

I've got the same problem with NBC and the Law and Order series. My setup is a dual tuner HTPC (Fusion 3 and Avermedia 180) using Windows MCE. I thought it might be the Nvidia DVD decoder but noone else seems to have the problem. Always in the breaks between scenes and it is annoying. No dropouts what so ever during the show itself just the black intro screens. If you identify the problems post it I'd be appreciative. What's your setup?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo View Post

Did anyone have any problems tuning in WTIC last night - specifically, 24 in HD OTA ? I couldn't get a reliable signal all day (including the NFL Playoffs), but was hoping that it would be fixed by 24. No luck. Just glad I TIVO'd a backup copy of the Satellite instead of counting on it OTA. For those of you who don't watch it, you're missing a great show.

I had some dropouts early in the Bears game that I attributed to the wind yesterday afternoon, because once it got dark and the wind died down my signal was pretty solid from about 5:30 on....
Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 PM

I have been away from the forum for a while and I am trying to catch up.

Just a reminder, if there ever are any comments or questions about WFSB-DT, please use

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com

I hope WFSB-DT has been good for everyone. I know we have gotten ripped in here in the past.

Please send an email for comments, questions or issues. Someone from engineering WILL get back to you or respond to you issue

Thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehorn View Post

I have been away from the forum for a while and I am trying to catch up.

Just a reminder, if there ever are any comments or questions about WFSB-DT, please use

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com

I hope WFSB-DT has been good for everyone. I know we have gotten ripped in here in the past.

Please send an email for comments, questions or issues. Someone from engineering WILL get back to you or respond to you issue

Thanks

Welcome back ! It's always great to see engineers from the local stations checking in on this board. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I've been having a much easier time picking up WFSB here in Wallingford over the last few months. It was pretty touch-and-go in the summer/early Fall, but everything's been going good recently. Now, if we can just get an engineer from WTIC to check in on the board, we'd be all set.......
Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM

I have D* scheduled to come on Thursday for HD upgrade. Antennaweb nowadays states (it changed a couple of weeks ago) that I only should get I and PBS in HD (I live in Marlborough paralell to Rt 2. Now if I cannot get any HD channels, will I have a reasonable good chance of getting any waivers through? I cannot see me dishing out all that money (even though I got a great deal) if I get no locals OTA. It seems D* will be rolling out MPG4 in Hartford during the 2nd qtr, but there will be no MPG4 DVR until mid summer...So unless I get good OTA channels, I should probably just wait out? Anyone one got the installer and had not OTA reception. What did you do?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:16 AM

mnylen - I'm not sure what station "I" is, but from your location I imagine you should be able to get most or all of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, UPN, & WB (assuming no hills or other obstructions in the way). Whether or not the picture is in HD depends on the station and the broadcast (not all shows are in HD). I would be sure to understand just what type of antenna D* says they are going to install for you - if it's just a clip-on that goes on the dish, don't expect much, if anything. Regarding a waiver, don't hold your breath - the only one you'll get is for NBC.

Ross
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnylen View Post

I have D* scheduled to come on Thursday for HD upgrade. Antennaweb nowadays states (it changed a couple of weeks ago) that I only should get I and PBS in HD (I live in Marlborough paralell to Rt 2. Now if I cannot get any HD channels, will I have a reasonable good chance of getting any waivers through? I cannot see me dishing out all that money (even though I got a great deal) if I get no locals OTA. It seems D* will be rolling out MPG4 in Hartford during the 2nd qtr, but there will be no MPG4 DVR until mid summer...So unless I get good OTA channels, I should probably just wait out? Anyone one got the installer and had not OTA reception. What did you do?

I live in Marlborough on Saner Road. I get all HD locals. There is a catch however. I have 2 six foot double yagi's put together to get my UHF Hartford stuff. Cant get the Norwich PBS unless I rotate opposite direction.

I then have a separate VHF antenna on other side of house pointed to WTNH to get ABC. I then combine them to get all I need.

Key is, you can get your locals but you gotta do it right. Small outdoor aint gonna cut it. Forget the waivers. I was denied for everything even NBC since Springfield NBC turned me down.

MPEG4 via Directv are coming April from a very good source. I would wait unless you plan on putting a very good antenna configuration on your roof.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Redux - if it were me, I would get a good 4 or 8 bay UHF antenna (CM 3021 or 4228) and try that out. If you need a pre-amp, try a CM7777. I don't know anything about the GS-2000, but it looks pretty gimicky to me - would be surprised if it does what you want it to. Keep in mind you may also need a rotor for your location. I would try the mast/height you have first and see if that works - true, height is your friend with OTA, but depending on your location, the thickness of the trees, etc., it might not be a problem for you. BTW, there's nothing wrong with separate coax for the OTA and the satellite - I know some people have had problems with the signals/diplexers/preamps, etc. when combining on the same line. The coax should be grounded, as should the antenna/mast. Just my two cents.....

Ross
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Hello All,
I am ready to take the plunge to the HD world! As soon as my Taxes come back, I am buying the Sanyo 28" with built in tuners from Walmart. I know this is not the place to explain my choice, but it is for my bedroom, and the price/size was right for me.
I know this TV will allow me to catch HDTV over the Air. I am able to use an outdoor solution if needed. I am enough of a geek to have the patience in tuning stations in. Where I would put this antenna Would have a nice southren exposure. I am one level up from our Dishnet dish. The Dish gets full signal (if that helps). I am very close to the water also, I think that may help. I have read many posts here, and found them to be very helpful.
When I lived in Groton, the Navy Base seemed to dampen any TV signals (analog) in the area. Now that I am past the base in New London, I hope that my efforts to tune in over the air (Digital) is easier. There are still a couple of things that I need help with. None of my friends, or family are into technology as I am, so I have no one locally to talk to.
I do have Dish, but I feel their HD Package is not worth my Money at this time. Right now I am only interested in getting the major networks over the air.
I did check that site that shows what may be avaible to me over the air, but I also saw some posts that state that their numbers are conservative. I know Pax, and PBS I can tune in with the fillings in my head! I have little need for them. ABC,CBS,NBC, and Fox are all I want. I need help in finding the right antenna for this TV. As I said before, Indoor/outdoor has little matter, nor does placement.
Back in the day, I used to use my Radio Shack Signal Amp (73 channel) with an UHF Antenna in groton, and got awesome results in the evening. Pointing South East. I used to get Channels from Philly! That was for analog though.
I am also a little confused by the Percentage of a digital signal. How much lock is required to have a nice picture? I know I am in a difficult area, so I don't expect perfection.
Also, I don't know if this is the correct thread, but perhaps I can be pointed in the right place. We have the Dishnet Receiver that allows 2 people to use the DVR, and indipendant tuners. I think it is the 522. I love it! My Problem is that I am TV #2. This means the box is not in my room. They use an amped-up Coax to get the signal to my room on channel 74. How good is this connection? Will I get more quality if I ran 50ft of S-Video, and RCA Sound? I want to be able to get the best low-def on this TV I can, as I cannot think of my life without the DVR!
I guess that is all I have so far. Thank you very much for reading! I look forward to your thoughts.
Seeth AKA Mark

Live simply, so other may simply live
Old 01-17-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey View Post

try the mast/height you have first

Thanks, Ross.

The mast DirecTV installed is far too short for an 8 bay or even a 4; as is I can only clamp on an antenna that has about a foot of vertical to it.

The fact that I already get 4 channels from a tiny 2 bay UHF leads me to believe I have a very good location. Giving up on the idea of getting WSFB (I think from what I read the signal just isn't there), I'm going to hope the GS-1100 (going with the unamplified batwing to avoid overloading WTNH) gives me just a little more VHF sensitivity needed to add a fifth station, WB, and I'll live with that.

Not willing to do a rotor because I'm all Tivo all the time, never watch anything live.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post

Thanks, Ross.

The mast DirecTV installed is far too short for an 8 bay or even a 4; as is I can only clamp on an antenna that has about a foot of vertical to it.

The fact that I already get 4 channels from a tiny 2 bay UHF leads me to believe I have a very good location. Giving up on the idea of getting WSFB (I think from what I read the signal just isn't there), I'm going to hope the GS-1100 (going with the unamplified batwing to avoid overloading WTNH) gives me just a little more VHF sensitivity needed to add a fifth station, WB, and I'll live with that.

Not willing to do a rotor because I'm all Tivo all the time, never watch anything live.

-depending on how much mast is actually attached to the house, you might be able to go about 5 feet above the roof/eave line without guying it. I understand about the Tivo; personally, I don't have the patience for a rotor. Good luck, and let us know how the GS-1100 works for you.

Ross
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 PM

Seeth,

I'm in East Lyme - I have a SquareShooter 1000 for the UHF stations (pointed mid-way between New Haven and Hartford) and a ch 12 VHF yagi (it's smaller than a ch 10, and works fine) pointed at New Haven for WTNH. They're joined in a CM7777 preamp, which then runs as a separate line to my D* receiver. A CM4228 will work fine instead of the SS1000, but you may find it's directional enough that you need a rotor - that's the main reason I went with the overpriced SS-1000. You may be able to get the antennas from Jan Electronics in NL, or possibly from the Lowes in Waterford when it opens. I don't completely understand your setup from the receiver to your TV, so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Ross
Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 PM

Ross,
Thank you for your reply. We are practically Neighbors! I'm just outside of Waterford, by Blockbuster.
You actually answered another question I forgot to ask; Will I need a VHF? It seems I will.
I was thinking of buying at Radio S**t, and I forgot about Jan's! I'm very close to them too. They have a fine reputation, and they do carry top shelf stuff.
I won't really need a rotor, as I can reach out my window, and change it myself! My bedroom is on the 3rd floor, and my window gives me access to a nice area of the roof. I was going to work it with a compass, and mark the best spots for each channel.
I will check into the system you use. Price may be an issue, because the TV is a good chunk of change. I can always start with one piece at a time. I'd Start on the UHF Side. VHS is crucial though, as WTNH has Lost!
I might not been clear enough on how my Dishnet box works. The box has 2 tuners, and can work on two TV's at once. They call My Roomy TV1, and I am TV2. The physical box is in Kristy's room, and has to be TV1. She is hooked up via RCA. Since I am TV2, there is a Coax that travels from her room, outside to my room. I have a UHF remote, to enable me to operate the box from the distance.
This Box can also be used on one TV as PIP. TV2 would be used in the same room, so they did provide RCA's S-Video, etc on the back of the box. I could use these outputs to my TV instead of the Coax. It would be almost 50ft to reach my TV this way. I doing my best, but this even malkes little sense to me as I write it!
I guess my question is, will the coax line method they use give me as good a pic as say an Svideo connection that traveled 50 feet?
My other option for watching HD is to Play them on my Phillips Divx player, however I do not know how many scan lines it gives, and if my TV will upsample. I'm still researching those issues, as I know that this is not the specific place for DVD/Divx talk. Does anyone know a good place for this info though? This site is massive!
Thank you again, your info is very helpful! Happy Watchin!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeth Ransom View Post

I am also a little confused by the Percentage of a digital signal. How much lock is required to have a nice picture?

This percentage, and how it is measured, differs among the brands of tuners on the market (Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.). The built-in over-the-air tuner in my Dish Network receiver needs a signal strength of at least 67% for the channel to be watchable. Slightly below this point, the picture will be broken up into many pixels or freeze, and the audio will continually drop out. Below about 61% there is no reception at all, and the signal strength meter will default to 49% (a black screen). The meter shows only one other percentage below 49%, and that is 0%.
An ideal picture is in the 76-93% range. (I haven't seen it go any higher).

The built-in tuner in the Sanyo TV that you plan to buy will most likely measure signal strength differently than the Dish receiver and it will have different thresholds for decent reception. (It also might not offer any percentages at all, like some set-top box OTA tuners).

In my location, my receiver cannot get any reception of the channel where you live, WHPX-DT in New London. Distance, station transmitting power, terrain, and the type of antenna that I have are all factors. These same factors will determine what digital channels your future TV's tuner will be able to lock on.

In reference to the "I" channel mentioned in an above post, the PAX network recently renamed itself "I", standing for "Independent Channel". So antennaweb.org apparently means that a Marlborough viewer can receive WHPX, the "I" affiliated station from New London (analog Channel 26).
Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Hey Seeth,
I think you will do good where you are, I have a Channel Master 4228 and no-name amp
jusst down the hill from you off Willits Ave.
No roter just pointed at the hartford stations(292 degrees)and get WTIC, WVIT, WTNH,
WEDN, WHPX just fine. WFSB is there sometimes but I was suprised I got it at all in this
part of the state.
WEDN (PBS) was switching to th PBS HD feed in the evening but they havn't been doing
that, it is just a upcoverted version of thier SD analog.
"I" or PAX has no HD, they are running I think 4 or 5 streams(sub-channels) of infomercials
and religeous programing.
Go see the guys at Jans, they usually have the Channelmaster suff in stock and really
nice to deal with.
The CM 4228 and a CM 7777 pre-amp is a good setup and what I have used at my house
near the Mohegan Sun, I am not using the 4228 right now because I am mainly trying
to get a better signal from WTNH HD that is on Ch10 VHF and am looking for a good VHF
only with a great front to back ratio because I am close enough to Providence that the
analog Ch 10 from there is picked up on the back side of the antenna and interferes
with the WTNH signal that I want.
I think you will do good there and good luck !

You may get WCTX DT also Ch 59, wich is on 39, I don't know what they have
for HD.

My opinions are mine and not my employer's!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeth Ransom View Post

You actually answered another question I forgot to ask; Will I need a VHF? It seems I will.

You may not need a separate VHF for WTNH. It's a pretty strong signal. I get a decent signal from 25 miles away with my DB-8 (similar to CM4228). And that's with my antenna is pointed directly at the Hartford towers which is ~40 degrees off WTNH. However, I don't get WTXX which is a higher VHF channel (12 vs. 10) and directly in line with my antenna.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM

WHNB,
Thank you very much for your reply. I guess you can tell, I never watched 26 enough to know about their change!
I'm not sure yet as to the tuner. I hear good things, so I hope it will have some sort of measure. Thank you for putting it in terms easier to understand.
Mark

Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Hi Everyone

Im in Middletown,CT on a 3rd story condo overlooking Ragged MT and Hartford Area. I can get WGBY-DT (57) and WGGB-DT (40) but not WEDH-DT. Is WEDH-DT only available via a paid service such as digital cable etc ?

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-17-2006, 06:03 PM

Cable70,
Hi How are ya? Very cool to get reply from a person in the same hood. Your reply has me very optimistic!
I will have to go to Jan's! Even if it means saving up for the right stuff. before I joined today, I was going to use my old Cable/2-73 amp from Realistic. It is a very old one that outputs to two. It leaks, but it did good work in its day. I was also looking at the $24.99 UFO Radio Shack U-75R. Even though it boasts 75 miles, I just never believe their hype. If I'm in it for the price of the TV, I might as well do it right.
I've Looked up the Channel Master 7777, it is very nice! The CM 4228 that was suggested to me looks promising too! I can crank it myself from the window, and signal loss should be low, as the run of cable won't exceed 10 feet.
I now have to deal with waiting 10 more days before I get this bad boy in my room! I only found one in the area, so I slapped it on lay-away.
Thank you again, I hope to see ya again.
Mark

Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Seeth - I'm still not sure I'm getting this correctly - if your TV has a tuner in it (according to your first post), why not run the coax from the antenna(s) directly to your TV and bypass the Dishnet receiver (I presume your TV has more than input)? Or are you trying to distribute the OTA signal to Kristy as well? I'm afraid I have no idea what the signal loss is in an S-video cable vs coax over 50 ft.

Since Cable70 is able to get WTNH with the CM4228 and lives closer to you than I, I would be inclined to try that alone first before buying the yagi - getting OTA to work properly depends a lot on your location and some trial and error. You very likely will need the preamp though. If the CM4228 works alone, great - I must admit to being a bit envious, 'cause I'm closer to the transmitters than Cable70 is (an probably higher as well), but couldn't get the CM4228 alone to work for UHF and WTNH.

Ross
Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM

Swanek,
Thank you for the advice! WTNH does have great stuff, and I'd hate to leave it out. I don't watch too many of the smaller networks. I don't watch too much TV, but When I see what I want to see, I want to see it the best I can! I also love movies, and want Progressive scan. My Phillips 32" TV served me well for 8 years, and still going. I've outgrown it though.
This whole started because I got a new puter with a 19inch LCD. Regular Dish looks so good on it, as well as the movies. I want Widescreen!
Thank you again, I hope to see you again.
Mark

Old 01-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Hey Cris0381,
WEDH is not transmitting DT yet, WEDN is on 45 from Norwich/Bozrah to your East.
I believe WEDH will be on Ch 32.
Hope it helps !

My opinions are mine and not my employer's!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:30 PM

Rtracey,
The TV does have a tuner. I would have my Dish on an AV-In (this is why I might need the long cord, or use an A/B switch for coax. The Antenna will go from my window to the back of the TV. Kristy is not interested in HDTV, this is why The TV will be in my room. I want the best possible picture from the Dish, though I know it is a SD box.
I understand your envy, I have had that for years waiting to be able to afford to see HDTV! I feel years behind. I'm still ahead of alot of people though.
Sorry If I confussed you.
Mark