Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by scottte
achase,

any new word on wvit's dtv antenna???

scottte

WVIT is not a part of the big tower project on Rattlesnake Mountain. As such, I have no information on what they're up to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7107 Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
does anybody out there know where the WVIT tower is and a timeline for them?? There analog signlay is great as noted prior, I am on the shoreline in Milford and can pull their analog signal in almost perfectly with my CM 4228!!! Hopefully their DTV signal will be just as good and that will complete my major network DTV signals as I pull FOX and CBS in from NYC right now, NBC is too weak to make to me, and of course ABC from New Haven.

scottte
post #363 of 7107 Old 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM

I live in Old Saybrook Connecticut. I have DirecTV with a DirecTiVo and am holding out on getting HD until the HD DirecTiVo is released in March. I want to get prepared though, I watch a ton of CBS and really want to get CBS HD. The HD DirecTiVo will have an input for OTA with two OTA tuners as well as two Satellite tuners. I am really sad to hear all the trouble with WFSB HD signal in CT. DirecTV is getting CBS HD but they will only give it to people in an O&O market and WFSB won't give me a waiver to get the national feeds from DirecTV. I checked antennaweb.org and it said I would need a Large Directional Antenna. I only want to do this though if I will get CBS in perfectly. I don't really care about the other stations right now. I also need to find an Installer here in CT. I can't install it myself so I need to find someone or an installation company. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Joe
post #364 of 7107 Old 01-17-2004, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JosephR
II am really sad to hear all the trouble with WFSB HD signal in CT. DirecTV is getting CBS HD but they will only give it to people in an O&O market and WFSB won't give me a waiver to get the national feeds from DirecTV.

That's funny I just saw a mini commercial on WFSB (Hartford, New Haven, Norwich) watching the UCONN game on over enhanced crappy SD picture.

Ditto on the O&O, denied thru E*.

As far too what to do about it, talk too your neighbors about splitting the cost for a tower install.
post #365 of 7107 Old 01-17-2004, 03:37 PM

Anyone with the Comcast 5100 box check to see if DVI is enabled recently? I was just reading posts that other markets were turned on and was curious to see if anyone checked...
post #366 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Well, no DD 5.1 for WFSB-DT yesterday. We have two weeks before the Superbowl. I'll send out another email to see if there is any news on the needed equipment.
post #367 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

I also noted that WFSB's signal strength went down to its old power. Maybe whatever they did to get it better had to be undone to get 5.1 installed and it will come back when they are finished. (at least I hope)
post #368 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

This is odd. When everyone was joyous over WFSB's apparent full power, my signal went crappo - unwatchable. Now when we think they are back to lower power, my signal is in the 70's (go Pats). Inverse technology?

Arnie, thanks for the great WTIC update!

Andy
post #369 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 06:24 AM

What if I get one of those really big Channel Master 3671 Deepest Fringe Crossfire Series that are supposed to pick up channels 100 + Miles and put a pre amp on it. It will cost like $300 for that and all the pieces to put it together but does anyone think that would be able to pick up WSFB HD in Old Saybrook?

-Joe
post #370 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 AM

Eventually, you'll be able to pick up WFSB-DT with a Channel Master 3671, but probably not until they increase their power. For the time being, you may actually have a better shot at WCBS-Dt, channel 56 in NYC. Hasn't Comcast added WFSB-DT to the cable in Old Saybrook yet?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
post #371 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM

I already get digital quality CBS via DirecTV Locals but I want HD Quality. I have a Sony 30 inch wide screen xbr hd tv and the digital broadcast is pixelated at times and has occasional artifacting. I just ordered the HD package through DirecTV and I it will have an OTA tuner for local channels since they do not broadcast Locals in HD over DirecTV. Comcast in my area doesn't do HD either so I can't get it from them. Does anyone live in or near Old Saybrook and get CBS HD from Hartford or NY? I think someone in West Haven said they get NY but I am about 30 miles east of West Haven.

-Joe
post #372 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 08:53 AM

According to Comcast, they DO offer HDTV in Old Saybrook: WFSB-DT and WVIT-DT, CPTV-DT are all available. You should contact them, because it will be cheaper than spending $400-600 for an antenna system that MIGHT get it for you. I have it in West Hartford, and have to admit that it looks pretty darned good! What you are getting from DirecTV is a digital SD signal, which won't look as good as what someone closer in can ger off an OTA antenna. The quality of the Hartford-New Haven DirecTV signals is nothing to write home about.

post #373 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 AM

Well it's to late for comcast now. I just ordered and paid for the DirecTV HD setup and I have a one year commitment to DirecTV HD and Total Choice Premier. I checked a few days ago with comcast online and tried to order it and they showed HD and PVR for 06475 but when you go to order it says its not ready yet for my area but I could sign up to be emailed when it arrives. Plus the biggest reason is I want to use the HD DirecTiVo that will have two DirecTV tuners and two OTA tuners with a 250 gig HD, I already pre ordered that and it will be arriving in April. They do not make a HD TiVo for cable yet and there are no plans of when they may. I never watch live TV anymore so I really am just gearing up for when the HD DirecTiVo arrives in April. As of now I have already put the $900 for HD DirecTiVo and $400 for the DirecTV HD Package into this setup so another $400 isn't going to matter much at this point. It sounds like CBS will be going high power soon so at least I know it will work eventually. I will still have my 157 hour DirecTiVo to record it digitally as well as in HD Mode if I can at least get CBS in part of the time until they go full power. Does anyone know of an installer for this area that I could get to install the OTA portion of this?

Thanks.

-Joe
post #374 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A quick note folks, don't forget tonight is UConn's first HD game on ESPN-HD. Should be a good game even not in HD, Saturday's vs. NC was fantastic. Tonight, Pitt, HD, I can't wait!
post #375 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also noted that WFSB's signal strength went down to its old power. Maybe whatever they did to get it better had to be undone to get 5.1 installed and it will come back when they are finished. (at least I hope)

In speaking with WFSB, the power increase was not due to anything the station did. It had to be atmospheric conditions that boosted the signal.

Quote:

A quick note folks, don't forget tonight is UConn's first HD game on ESPN-HD. Should be a good game even not in HD, Saturday's vs. NC was fantastic. Tonight, Pitt, HD, I can't wait!

I can't wait! Hopefully the rebound (no pun intended) from Saturday's gut-wrenching loss. I hgot a chance to see them in HD in the last two NCAA tournaments. This year the Big East Tournament is in HD as well as the NCAA tourney. How great is that?
post #376 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 01:53 PM

I called the local TV/Satellite retailers and they said the only place to order an antenna installed in the Old Saybrook area is through Radio Shack. So I checked there and they gave me an 800 #, I called that and they said I need a work order and can't order an install from them so I had to call Radio Shack back and they said you have to buy the equipment from them for about $200 then the install is $190. I was hoping to find an installer in the area that would know what is needed to pull in the signal, it sounds like Radio Shack will send someone from far away that won't know anything about this area.

-Joe
post #377 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM

NO! NO! NO! Don't go to Radio Shack! Their equipment is inferior, and their installers clueless! Call Signal Electronic Supply in West Hartford, or Jan Electronics in New London, and tell them what you need: A Channel Master Crossfire 3671, A 9521 Rotor, a Titan 7777 preamplifier, and ask them for suggestions about an installer. If you want to PM me, I can suggest a couple of people who can do the job [

post #378 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Liked: 12
achase,

Thank you for the information regarding your Rattlesnake Mountain transmission facility.

Would you know if CPTV has interim plans to have a side-mount antenna on the tower or will they not have a digital signal for the greater Hartford area until after the candelabra is completed in 2005?

Thank you.
post #379 of 7107 Old 01-19-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WHNB
achase,

Would you know if CPTV has interim plans to have a side-mount antenna on the tower or will they not have a digital signal for the greater Hartford area until after the candelabra is completed in 2005?

Their plans have not been finalized yet as they still have an application pending for a channel change at the FCC. When their license is granted, although the tower has the capacity to let them operate from a temporary antenna (if they want to do that), my guess is that their financial situation will not allow them to waste money on a temporary antenna. As soon as they know what channel/antenna they will use, the candelabra and antenna will be immediately ordered.

Things are not standing still, however. The preliminary ground work to add an additonal guy anchor level to support the candelabra has already been done.

Arnold
post #380 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My life story...

After getting frustrated with the fact that as a DirecTV early adopter when they finally added the CT locals they put them on the lower satellite which is blocked by my trees, I shut down the service and went with lifeline cable. For whatever reason, I was getting more than just the very basic channels, so for about $10-11/month I was quite happy. In October I got a phone call from them offering me expanded basic for "only about $7 or $8 a month more" good for a few months. I took the deal and was happy with it but it turned out to be actually more like $11/month more (about $22/month total). That deal just ended apparently and they wanted to start charging me $43+.

In the mean time, my wife bought me an HP 856x (Win XP Media Center Edition PC). I've been disappointed with the quality of DVR with this. My standalone TiVo is noticeably better. I came across a post on the newsgroups that indicated that the problem was with the tuner card's RF input (or actual cable TV tuner) and that the S-Video input might be better. I really want to like this thing, partly because of all that it can do and partly because I'd save the $13/month TiVo service fee I currently pay. So that got me to thinking that if I had some other box to tune things in and could enter the PC via the S-Video input things might look better. Did a little reading on the forums here about the Comcast Motorola box and started thinking about using it via the S-Video output for an upgraded picture into my PC (if that's a realistic expectation). I also have an NEC LT85 SVGA DLP projector and a 80x45" Da-Lite Hi-Power screen which I would watch some occasional HDTV material on (hopefully the Superbowl).

Getting back to pricing...According to Comcast's site, HDTV service is available as a $7 add-on and requires "Basic service." Well, I called Comcast and was told that I actually needed Basic Digital service. I don't believe there's any package called Basic Digital, so if you aren't supposed to be able to get this as an add-on to just a true basic (analog) service, they need to clarify this much better. I certainly wasn't interested in paying $50+/month. Sigh. At that point, I asked to be transferred to their internet service division because I also received an email claiming that I could get $15/month off of my cable modem bill if I had any level of service (including the cheapo $10/month lifeline basic service). More disappointment. This rep I spoke with informed me that I was already saving $15/month because the cost for cable modem service if you don't have any cable TV service is $60/month. Is that true? If so, that's insane.

At that point I told her that my previous special offer for extended basic had expired and I wanted to switch back to the $11/month plan. She asked if I would be willing to keep it if she could guarantee me a price of $25/month (or something like that) for a year. At that point, I gave her my sob story about how I really wanted the HDTV service and could I add that to the price she quoted me. Once again, she informed me that I needed basic Digital. At that point I begged and pleaded and further explained that I didn't care about all those extra channels and I didn't want to pay $50+ when all I really wanted was basic service plus HDTV for $18/month. To my surprise, she said that there might be something she could do. She went on to do some computations (or who knows what) and came back with this deal:
1) Installer would come out tomorrow. Her system wouldn't let her give me a free install, but she was going to give me a $16 credit to accomplish the same thing.
2) My total monthly price including taxes would be $29.83. This would include basic cable, the digital plus package, and HDTV. According to her, this was not a "promotional" price but would be my normal price forever (or obviously until they raise their prices).

Rather than tell me what the "digital plus package" consisted of, she would send me out something which had all the channels I would get circled. I'm not sure if this means that they'll be filtering out certain channels or what, but if I even get what I used to get for $11/month plus HDTV for the major networks, I think I can be very happy with this deal.

Hopefully this will all come to fruition. BTW, I asked her about PVR and she said that it's not available yet but they'd be informing existing customers about it. She might have used the word "soon" but I can't say for sure.

So does this all sound legit? Did she give me a special deal or did she not know what she was doing? She seemed like she knew what she was doing and was extremely friendly.

Of course it's also possible that they got one over on me and I should have been able to get what I wanted for $18/month.

Scott

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #381 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 07:58 AM

srauly:

I'm on Long Island and I subscribe to Cablevision. I too only wanted the broadcast basic package plus HDTV. The broadcast basic package is $10/month and I have to also get digital IO (similar to the basic Digital that you mention) which is $10/month. And on top of that I have to "rent" the HD box for $4/month. So for $24/month, I get only locals and locals in HD. With Cablevision, that's only CBS, FOX, and PBS right now. So you're price of $29.83 doesn't sound that far off. Hope this helps even though we have different cable companies.

"But this is HDTV! It's got better resolution than the real world!"
-Phillip J. Fry (Futurama)
post #382 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bfadams
I have prefered basic(analog) and an HD box. No premium channels. I get the HD locals plus ESPN-HD, inHD 1&2 for the cost of renting the HD box.

Scott,

I think you should PM Bfadams...

I thought we're able to get a basic locals pkg that would include the HD locals for a minimum amount (something like $10 + 7 for the box).

As for the Internet rate - yep it's 57.99 without any other Comcast service. That's kinda why I'm thinking about leaving Dish. My year is up and I have to seriously compare the programming costs plus internet cost and see what's best. It was pretty close before but Dish just raised their rates (I know so did cable) but Comcast is adding HD programming quickly (HD locals, etc.) and Dish is losing there edge for me.

Andy
post #383 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

From Comcast website - fine print:

"*HDTV Broadcast feeds are included in limited basic service."

But I think you need to have digital basic for ESPN-HD, INHD and INHD2.

Andy
post #384 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

While I'm here...

This was posted back in December

"Originally posted by usurpers26
Don't mean to hijack your guys OTA thread but WTNH is finally on Comcast (channel 304) in the Hartford area. Too bad such a crappy MNF game is on tonight... "

I just want to verify it. Is WTNH indeed on Comcast in the Hartford area (particularly Windsor)?

Thanks!
Andy
post #385 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yup, it looks like they don't know what they're doing over there. Since posting my last message I did some more reading in the forums here (as well as some PMs between another user) and it certainly sounds like I should be able to get lifeline basic plus HDTV (locals) for $16-18. What's funny is that after I tried to tell the first rep that I thought I should be able to get this, he said something like "well, maybe if you call back and talk to a rep that just came out of training they would do it." Looks like he was the one just out of training.

My take on it is this...If that $30/month plan gives me some of the extra channels I do like, it will probably be worth it to me. If I end up with only lifeline basic and/or find that the other channels aren't really worth the extra $12-14/month, I'll call back and complain till I get what it sounds like I should be entitled to.

Scott

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #386 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 10:25 AM

Yes, Andy. Comcast currently has HDTV in Hartford as follows:
WEDN-DT Channel 302
WFSB-DT Channel 303
WTNH-DT Channel 304
WVIT-DT Channel 305
ESPN-HD Channel 329
HBO-HD Channel 370
SHO-HD Channel 377
INHD1 Channel 381

post #387 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Since NBC just announced that they are broadcasting the Daytona 500 in HD, I have a renewed interest in the status of WVIT's antenna. Many deadlines have come and gone. Last I heard, January 15th was supposed to be the date but that obviously that didn't happen.

Quote:

From Dorran:

This is the latest from WVIT, NBC 30 in CT. I received this message this morning from Dave Bondanza, their chief engineer in response to my question about when they will be braodcasting OTA HDTV and at what power.

"Soon. The antenna and tower modifications we started in August are almost complete. (We had a four year delay sue to legal and zoning challenges from others). We will be at full power, the transmitter is almost ready to be turned on in the load, the electricians are completing final connections to it. I would suspect mid-January." Dave

So the question is: When am I going to be able to get WVIT OTA?

(I won't even start on WFSB and the Superbowl. Stupid WFSB and stupid Tele-Media Cable)
post #388 of 7107 Old 01-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I won't even start on WFSB and the Superbowl

I started another thread on that topic called "WFSB Sucks Unofficial Thread".
It may be time and appropriate to start a new thread called "OTA HDTV in CT Sucks".
post #389 of 7107 Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 AM

WVIT OTA Status

This is the latest just received (1/21/04) from WVIT's Chief Engineer.

"Sorry we didn't make the 1/15 date. We bound up by the cold weather. Mounting the antenna in these temperatures is out of the question. Can you imagine being up in the air 950 feet high held to the tower with a nylon harness and trying to turn some bolts while the 50 mpg wind at -40 degrees is blowing at you? Not for me, but meanwhile the transmitter is putting out full power into the dummy load on the ground making lots of heat!!!

Frustrating for us as much as it is for you!! If it was about 10 degrees warmer, we could start the antenna mounting portion, expected to take about 3-5 days. That's it and we're done. I would suspect by 2/1 hoping that we get some above freezing weather days.

Dave"

Dorran
post #390 of 7107 Old 01-21-2004, 09:23 AM

If the above is true, it is like a breath of fresh air!!!!

scottte
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page