Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 7115 Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The tripod type doesn't matter much, but make sure the mast is guyed in all directions. I use nylon rope. The galvanized steel guys rust out and break in a couple of years. You could try doing some testing with a short mast so it is easier to try preamp and filter combinations with the antenna more accessible. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 7115 Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

The tripod type doesn't matter much, but make sure the mast is guyed in all directions. I use nylon rope. The galvanized steel guys rust out and break in a couple of years. You could try doing some testing with a short mast so it is easier to try preamp and filter combinations with the antenna more accessible. John

I used the galvanized steel guy wire but it had a nylon coating. I might go with an extendable antenna mast again. I could start out with it in the collapsed position trying out the different equipment then raise it after.
post #3933 of 7115 Old 02-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Raider View Post

Here is a link to view the before and after.

Antenna came down, Oh Crap

The 1 1/2 in mast bent at the clamp.

I could only put up 3 guy wires and the wind usually comes from the direction I couldn't use a guy wire on.

Now that the mast is down I won't mind changing the pre-amp so much. I think I am going to mount the mast on a tripod at the other end of the house that has a more clear shot of RI. Then I could also install 4 guy wires to secure the thing. Any suggestions on a particular tripod?

That is a monster antenna. If you don't care about analog stations you could probably do just as well with a smaller arangement of a UHF antenna mounted several feet above a VHF-high antenna. Here are the two that I use that way:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...T=&PROD=PR9032
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...T=&PROD=YA1713
Winegard also makes a good low gain pre-amp:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...PROD=ANWHDP269

- John
post #3934 of 7115 Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Here is a link to view the before and after.

Antenna came down, Oh Crap

The 1 1/2 in mast bent at the clamp.

I could only put up 3 guy wires and the wind usually comes from the direction I couldn't use a guy wire on.

Now that the mast is down I won't mind changing the pre-amp so much. I think I am going to mount the mast on a tripod at the other end of the house that has a more clear shot of RI. Then I could also install 4 guy wires to secure the thing. Any suggestions on a particular tripod?

I have the same antenna you do and say you must have it on a tripod with 4 guy wires. It blows pretty good in wind. I love the antenna as I can get New York City channels and I am 78 miles from transmitter. Gives me options when CT channnels screw up their HD as channel 3 did last week. Happens a lot with Fox so I watch WNYW if WTIC is screwed up. I also have the cm7777 preamp but dont have any trouble with overloaded signal.
post #3935 of 7115 Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I used the galvanized steel guy wire but it had a nylon coating. I might go with an extendable antenna mast again. I could start out with it in the collapsed position trying out the different equipment then raise it after.

Hey Ct Raider,
I haven't had WTNH in a while and wanted to get it for the superbowl.
I am not far from you in Montville and just got off my roof.
Well I lucked out and found a old Channel Master 1510, it is a VHF cut
for Ch 10.
I spent most of the morning trying different combonations. I ended up
with just this anntena and a Channel Master 7777 with the FM trap
in and the switch for use of the separate UHF and VHF inputs in that
position and hooked the anntena into the VHF only input and a 75 ohm
terminator on the UHF only input.
I wouldn't say it is rock solid but I am happy with the results.

Hope It Hepls !

My opinions are mine and not my employer's!!!!!!
post #3936 of 7115 Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana2 View Post

Just got this email response from wfsbengineering -

Ben,

We found the problem and we are working to correct it. If we do not have it fixed, we will have a work around so HD programming will be delivered.

Thanks for Watching

WFSB Engineering

I don't know what that means exactly, but it's encouraging from my perspective since I'm only interested in having them fix it by Saturday's UConn game (I can't stand CSI - if we were talking about ABC on 'Lost' Wednesdays, though, I would be freaking out a good deal more... )

I beleive that WFSB receives the CBS HD signal at their transmitter and switches it without sending it to the studio. The problem could be the CBS receiving equipment, the remote HD/SD switcher, the control panel for the remote switcher, or the communications link that controls the switcher.
post #3937 of 7115 Old 02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

WFSB has been bouncing around like crazy for me lately. Not sure what the deal is. I get it locked in, and then a couple hours later it seems like it's swinging wildly between 0 and 70+. My amp is completely removed from the picture now, and I'm talking about calm clear days. Really bizzare behavior.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #3938 of 7115 Old 02-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

WFSB has been bouncing around like crazy for me lately. Not sure what the deal is. I get it locked in, and then a couple hours later it seems like it's swinging wildly between 0 and 70+. My amp is completely removed from the picture now, and I'm talking about calm clear days. Really bizzare behavior.

You might want to note if any planes are in the area when the signal degrades, particularly if it is momentary but repeats several times in a 2-4 minute window. I have noticed that this happens to me with WFSB when low flying planes are in the area. I think it's a multipath issue that clears up when the plane is far enough away.

Chris
post #3939 of 7115 Old 02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Interesting thought... I've got a pretty clean shot but I'll have to see. When the bouncing starts it is pretty bad.

post #3940 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 AM

When I had my amp installed, I used to get that all the time when a big truck would drive by my house. Removing the amp resolved the issue.
post #3941 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

I don't think you're alone - I've also been seeing the same problems with WFSB OTA the last few weeks. I believe a few pages back, one of the WFSB engineers was checking into the board and seemed like he was really open to helping out. I would shoot him an email and see if something's up.
post #3942 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM

When did WFSB add the 3hd logo? it's really annoying, given the CBS logo is also present during HD broadcasts.
post #3943 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM

I had occasional "hiccups" when watching WGGB-DT with an amplified antenna.

I turned the amplifier OFF and the hiccups went away and the S/N ratio for the station improved.
post #3944 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

My amp is gone, I'm purely on the antenna now. So it's not the amp . But it is still happening badly.

post #3945 of 7115 Old 02-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Anyone getting 35-3? I get the 35-4 subchannel but nothing but a blank screen on 35-3. Same thing Monday night analog Las Vegas was so disappointing.
post #3946 of 7115 Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

When did WFSB add the 3hd logo? it's really annoying, given the CBS logo is also present during HD broadcasts.

I noticed this last night. Very annoying. It is on even during commercials.
post #3947 of 7115 Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

I've noticed this but I don't see both logos, just the 3HD logo
post #3948 of 7115 Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 AM

Hi All,
I got it!! I added an attenuator to lower the wall of Pax. I also added RS $10 Rabbit ears, connected to the UHF (RS u75). My Pre-amp (RS) requires less power, which I believe lowers any noise.
The antenna is connected to a concrete stamper. This is on one tall stool, and one short. The Rabbit ear leads are connected right to the UHF antenna, but no elements touch. I secured the rabbit ears on the back of the UHF on the preamp housing (electrical tape). I put This Large "indoor antenna" (my roomy is more correct by calling it an abomination) in the corner of my 3rd floor office. In this one position I at last get channel 8 (which would not be seen before the rabbit ears), 30, 61, 59. Those are my most wached networks. I also get I/Pax, CPTV, and 23. Some tweaks to the preamp gain is sometimes needed for the UHF's. For now, I am leaving it where it is. It is a sweet spot.
It would be nice to get 3, and 20, though I don't view them much. I'm not sure this current set-up will do it. Since it is inside, it makes it tough. I am saving for a nice mast/tripod to move this set-up outdoors. I'll take a pic of how it looks now for all of you later. It will be sure to make you laugh. Atleast it works!
Thank you all for your help, this thread holds a wealth of info! This BBS is also huge. I am able to find a place for all diffent issues with HDTV.
I do have a few questions. I hear I can get Eastern cable for just basic networks, as well as an HDTV PVR for $20 monthly. Has anyone used this service, and what are your thoughts? I don't think they have channel 8. Can I get 8 OTA to record on the PVR? are there any low prive OTA PVR's I can get outright (or a link to the correct forum)? It is tough for me to catch the shows live sometimes.
Thanx again!
Seeth

Live simply, so other may simply live
post #3949 of 7115 Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 AM

Where I work in Newington, we have two HD-capable TVs hooked with amplified indoor antennas to show at least a little digital TV. All we can get consistently are WFSB-DT (channel 33) and WVIT-DT (channel 35). WTIC-DT (channel 31) is very intermittent, with a Panasonic 50" TV having better results than the 52" RCA TV sitting next to it. Both TVs are in a large tv wall running an in-house cable feed on them. We don't get any VHF signals whatsoever (3, 8, digital 10 or digital 12). Management won't allow us to do anything else with the antennas (and didn't want any antennas on the TVs in the first place).

I don't own anything capable of digital broadcasting at home in New Britain. My grandmother's Zenith TV downstairs is HD-capable but needs a set-top box or the right type of Comcast digital converter (which she doesn't have) to pass digital signals through.
post #3950 of 7115 Old 02-18-2006, 11:59 AM

I live in Unionville, CT. I have managed to receive WFSB-DT, WVIT-DT, WTIC-DT, WUVN-DT from Farmington tower. I can also receive WGGB-DT from Springfield, MA, but not WGBY-DT. My Silver Sensor is aiming at Springfield. But unfortunately I failed to receive other channels. I am specially interested in PBS. My question is: Can I receive WGBY-DT from Springfield with an outdoor antenna, e.g. DB2? Do I need a bigger one? Will I receive channels from New Haven if I aim an outdoor antenna at Springfield?

Thanks
post #3951 of 7115 Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Following up: The Channnel Master 4228 8 bay bowtie pointed north gets me everything reasonable except 39 (including VHF 10 [coathanger strength here] and 12). An antenna coupler gets me 39 with the 2 bay bowtie DTV (Halstead) left me, pointed SW. I'm going to substitute for the simple coupler a CM Join-tenna specifically for 39 to clean things up.

Also get ABC from Springfield, most of the time. only glimmers of Springfield PBS. No sign of Springfield 22, No CT PBS at all.

I tried to add a CM 7777 preamp but it only degrades, in combined VHF/UHF mode. In separate VHF/UFH mode it boosts the northern UHF signals somewhat, but not unexpectedly loses me channel 12. I think this may be a defective 7777 (in combined mode) and I'm looking into that.

In general I very much recommend the CM 4228 8 bay bowtie for this area, just a bit shy of picking up Springfield beyond ABC; but 39 is going to need some work.
post #3952 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

I've noticed this but I don't see both logos, just the 3HD logo

I just sent a email to WFSB to remove this logo. wfsb@wfsb.com. I suggest others do the same if this bothers you. The response was that they would pass it on to the managers.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #3953 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 05:29 AM

Anyone else have a problem with WTNH last night/this morning (no picture or sound)? I figure their PSIP is messed up again like it was a couple of weeks ago, although they're not showing up on 10-1 either, which is where the signal ended up last time. Just spoke to Angelo in Engineering this morning, and he tells me he was watching WTNH OTA last night with no problem.

Ross
post #3954 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 AM

When I went to the Big E last year, the Comcast guys in the Better Living Center said the Springfield area would be getting DVRs with much larger disks. He was talking 256gb! Anyone in the Hartford area have one of these? He said he could only speak about Mass and not Conn since they are different regions for Comcast.
post #3955 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post

I live in Unionville, CT. I have managed to receive WFSB-DT, WVIT-DT, WTIC-DT, WUVN-DT from Farmington tower. I can also receive WGGB-DT from Springfield, MA, but not WGBY-DT. My Silver Sensor is aiming at Springfield. But unfortunately I failed to receive other channels. I am specially interested in PBS. My question is: Can I receive WGBY-DT from Springfield with an outdoor antenna, e.g. DB2? Do I need a bigger one? Will I receive channels from New Haven if I aim an outdoor antenna at Springfield?

Thanks

I'm sure you would get WGBY-DT with an outdoor antenna. I live up the street from you by the Soccer fields (Tunxis Mead) and I get every station you mentioned with my Winegard antenna and rotor plus WGBY-DT, WTNH-DT, WTXX-DT and WCTX-DT. My antenna is in my attic, so outdoors would only improve reception for you. Check out Signal Electronics @ 589 New Park Ave in West Hartford. I bought my entire set-up there. Antenna, mast, cabling and remote control rotor. They are great to deal with and very reasonably priced. Signal recently merged with Cumberland Electroics, so I'm not sure what name is on the sign.

Links to my antenna and rotor:

http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/pr-7015.pdf

http://starkelectronic.com/rotor.htm#rotor
post #3956 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post

Following up: The Channnel Master 4228 8 bay bowtie pointed north gets me everything reasonable except 39 (including VHF 10 [coathanger strength here] and 12). An antenna coupler gets me 39 with the 2 bay bowtie DTV (Halstead) left me, pointed SW. I'm going to substitute for the simple coupler a CM Join-tenna specifically for 39 to clean things up.

Did you end up basically running the 4228 without the amp ? I live in the same area as you and am using the amp but my performacy definitely varies. Wondering if I should just remove the amp and try go direct. I live on the Wallingford / Cheshire border.
post #3957 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

I just sent a email to WFSB to remove this logo. wfsb@wfsb.com. I suggest others do the same if this bothers you. The response was that they would pass it on to the managers.

The "3HD" logo is visually unappealing, and should not be present when the CBS "eye" is there during network airtime. Thankfully it is completely out of the picture and over in the sidebar during 4:3 broadcasts. But leaving "3HD" on during 4:3 programs misinforms viewers who are new to HD by making them think standard digital is high definition.
post #3958 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreBee View Post

I'm sure you would get WGBY-DT with an outdoor antenna. I live up the street from you by the Soccer fields (Tunxis Mead) and I get every station you mentioned with my Winegard antenna and rotor plus WGBY-DT, WTNH-DT, WTXX-DT and WCTX-DT. My antenna is in my attic, so outdoors would only improve reception for you. Check out Signal Electronics @ 589 New Park Ave in West Hartford. I bought my entire set-up there. Antenna, mast, cabling and remote control rotor. They are great to deal with and very reasonably priced. Signal recently merged with Cumberland Electroics, so I'm not sure what name is on the sign.

Thanks for your message. Did you ever try to receive channels from both Springfield and New Haven using one antenna? I just don't like antenna rotor which adds one more remote. Will two antenna pointing different directions work? How far should they be apart?

Thanks
post #3959 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo View Post

Did you end up basically running the 4228 without the amp ? I live in the same area as you and am using the amp but my performacy definitely varies. Wondering if I should just remove the amp and try go direct. I live on the Wallingford / Cheshire border.

Short answer: try the 4228 without the preamp; we've got some signals here too strong for the 7777 preamp and it's overloading.

I suspect that without preamp, and properly pointed, you'll get 10 (ABC 8 WTNH), 12 (WB 20 WTXX), 31 (Fox 61 WTIC), 35 (NBC 30 WVIT) and probably 33 (CBS WFSB) and maybe 55 (ABC 40 WGGB). Probably not 39 (UPN 59 WCTX).

You might also try internally switching the preamp to seperate UHF/VHF. Put a 75 ohm terminator on the VHF input. I expect you'll see significant overall signal improvement, but you'll lose 12 (WB 20 WTXX). Of course a separate cut VHF antenna specifically for 12 (if anybody still sells cuts) plugged into the preamp would solve that. But for 39 you'd need still another small antenna coupled.

Eliminating the preamp is not a great solution because a few of these channels need a little boost to stay steady through weather/Spring foliage/etc.

So my setup is a work in progress. Right now I'm without the amp and getting everything (including 39 from a second small antenna), but a couple channels only in the 60s readings (steady, not swinging), and ABC Springfield is in and out. I took the amp out because it seemed to overload when internally switched to combined UHF/VHF, though it didn't overload switched to separate UHF/VHF. Stark Electronics tells me it's definitely overload and a replacement 7777 amp would do the same. I'm still puzzled about why overload on _combined_ setting but not _separate_, but he seems to know what he's talking about.

Among other things I'm going to try is to put a UHF/VHF splitter right at the 4228, run seperate UHF and VHF lines into the 7777 amp (obviously switched to separate UHF/VHF) and see if the signal comes out clean.
post #3960 of 7115 Old 02-21-2006, 05:26 PM

Seems Fox can't get the HD thing working yet once again. American Idol is their blown out SD feed with a nice sharp Fox 61 logo in the corner.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page