post #3991 of 7120 Old 03-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post

Jon,

Try Signal Electronics in West hartford for some good advice and installer recommendations if you need that, but beware that all sales are final with most local antenna suppliers. Lowes and Radio Shack will do returns, however, but good luck on advice.

Chris

I went there. But the person I talked to couldn't give me a lot of help. He did give me a Channel Master catalog (showed me the SMARTenna for apartment use) and a spec sheet for a Winegard SquareShooter. I did ask about the return policy.

I decided to experiment with my rabbit ears some more. After reading a guide on how to get the best from them I was able to get a signal strength of 65% or better on:
ABC WTNH 10
UPN WTXX 12
FOX WTIC 31
CBS WFSB 33
NBC WVIT 35
UPN WCTX 39

but not with the antenna in the same place. No matter what I do I can't get anything on either:
PBS WEDH 45
PBS WEDW 52

It would be nice to find one antenna, that I could keep in the same place that would give me all of the above. I'm not sure if anything (that would fit on my balcony) exists for that.

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 7120 Old 03-08-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN, Cox-Meriden View Post

I went there. But the person I talked to couldn't give me a lot of help. He did give me a Channel Master catalog (showed me the SMARTenna for apartment use) and a spec sheet for a Winegard SquareShooter. I did ask about the return policy.

I decided to experiment with my rabbit ears some more. After reading a guide on how to get the best from them I was able to get a signal strength of 65% or better on:
ABC WTNH 10
UPN WTXX 12
FOX WTIC 31
CBS WFSB 33
NBC WVIT 35
UPN WCTX 39

but not with the antenna in the same place. No matter what I do I can't get anything on either:
PBS WEDH 45
PBS WEDW 52

It would be nice to find one antenna, that I could keep in the same place that would give me all of the above. I'm not sure if anything (that would fit on my balcony) exists for that.

Thanks,
Jon

Jon,

You can forget about WEDH for now. Here is an earlier post from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0381 View Post

Hi there Donjoy

I get WGBY 57 1 thru 4 here in Middletown 30 miles south of you so you should get it well. They have real nice nice programs on. I get them at 65%. And this is with an indoor RS bowtie antenna but its up in my 4th floor loft. I cant get 22 out of Springfield though.

WEDH 24 CPTV is only digital if you subscrbe to one of the cable services I think but they have a digital antenna in Norwich which is too far for us.

post #3993 of 7120 Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, WFSB e-mailed me back and confirmed they are planning on using two subchannels for alternate games on their digital station. So, in theory, we could have access to all four games at once if they show a different game on their analog channel. I asked them how this would affect HD picture quality, and they said that they have invested in a statistical multiplexor that will allow them two subchannels and still excellent HD quality. I guess we will see. They also did mention that these plans are dependent on how CBS will be doing things.

They still do broadcast Springfield's version of channel 3 on 3-2. I just hope they have different games on each of the channels, this could be great!
post #3994 of 7120 Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Watchin oprah on channel 3.01 OTA there is on both sides of screen logos 3HD 3HD 3HD whats this now?
post #3995 of 7120 Old 03-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Anybody tune in WFSB-DT on Thursday afternoon, especially between 1 and 5 PM? First, the sound was messed up around 1:30 PM. During "Guilding Light" and "Oprah", they kept putting up vertical blueish "3-HD" logos to fill the spaces on the sides. First it was two logos on each side, followed by 3 or four smaller once on each side. Ugh! The little "3-HD" bug in the bottom right a few weeks ago was bad enough! I believe this was all on "3-3" (a.k.a. 33-3).
post #3996 of 7120 Old 03-10-2006, 05:06 AM

Yes noticed this 3hd logo wondering what it is
post #3997 of 7120 Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
WFSB must be getting ready for the NCAA basketball tournament.

I was watching the noon news on 3-3 today, and it looks like it's allocated a very low bit rate (Like 3-2 has). Any motion creates a very pixilated image. High motion basketball isn't going to look too good, but it's still better than not having the game available at all.

Paul
post #3998 of 7120 Old 03-10-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the report Pauldow. They did indicate to me that they would be experimenting with the subchannels in prep for the tourney. Obviously, it would be great if they could make everything look great, but I would expect 3-3 to have the worst PQ, and I can live with that as long as they don't screw up the HD picture. As you said, 3-3 is a bonus.
post #3999 of 7120 Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anybody ever had any luck with the Channel Master 3016 antenna? I just picked it up at Lowes for $34.99. I have to try something, my Channel Master 4021 is not working well lately, especially for WFSB. Given the low price, the small size, and the fact that I have read that the UHF part of the antenna is not it's strong point, I guess I can't expect much.

Since DirecTV is coming out with locals over the dish soon, I don't want to spend alot of money on an antenna. Also, Lowes will take returns on antennas, so I guess it's worth a shot.
post #4000 of 7120 Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 AM

This question is for Dish network owner in Connecticut.
I had just upgraded the HD package for my parents. They have to replace the dish and receiver in order for me to receive those extra channels.
Here's what the tech did. He installed another dish pointing to another satellite instead of installing Dish 1000. He told me that he has to put another dish 500 because dish 1000 angel is way too low in connecticut and cannot be installed.
For me personally I would rather have dish 1000 instead of two dish500 on top of my roof.
Was he right or he was just trying to get rid of his Dish 500 from his warehouse.
post #4001 of 7120 Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyCT View Post

This question is for Dish network owner in Connecticut.
I had just upgraded the HD package for my parents. They have to replace the dish and receiver in order for me to receive those extra channels.
Here's what the tech did. He installed another dish pointing to another satellite instead of installing Dish 1000. He told me that he has to put another dish 500 because dish 1000 angel is way too low in connecticut and cannot be installed.
For me personally I would rather have dish 1000 instead of two dish500 on top of my roof.
Was he right or he was just trying to get rid of his Dish 500 from his warehouse.

NickyCT......
Most likely, this was the CORRECT thing to do.....The Dish 1000 "looks" at 129 degrees; that's pretty low in the sky for folks in the Northeast, like myself (NH)....The second dish points to 61.5 degrees, a virtually "clean shot" from most areas in New England....most, if not all, of the signals on 61.5 are "mirrored" on 129, for those folks located quite a bit further west and south....Hope this answers your question....
post #4002 of 7120 Old 03-11-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanbo View Post

NickyCT......
Most likely, this was the CORRECT thing to do.....The Dish 1000 "looks" at 129 degrees; that's pretty low in the sky for folks in the Northeast, like myself (NH)....The second dish points to 61.5 degrees, a virtually "clean shot" from most areas in New England....most, if not all, of the signals on 61.5 are "mirrored" on 129, for those folks located quite a bit further west and south....Hope this answers your question....

Are they planning on keeping 61.5 in the orbit. I could have sworn that I read somewhere they might get rid of 61.5 once they move everything to 129.
That's was the reason of my concern.
post #4003 of 7120 Old 03-12-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post

Thanks for the report Pauldow. They did indicate to me that they would be experimenting with the subchannels in prep for the tourney. Obviously, it would be great if they could make everything look great, but I would expect 3-3 to have the worst PQ, and I can live with that as long as they don't screw up the HD picture. As you said, 3-3 is a bonus.

I had 33-5 ("3-5") on for a few seconds yesterday and IT LOOKED HORRIBLE! Even worse than their "CBS 3" feed did! I hope they're still tweaking it! BTW, the HD looked the same as usual on 33-3 ("3-3"). Lastly, where are 33-1 and 33-2 ("3-1" and "3-2")?
post #4004 of 7120 Old 03-12-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good news UConn fans, UConn is in Philadelphia for the first two games, and Philadelphia is one of the first round sites in HD, so we get all HD for UConn in the tourney with the first game on Friday.
post #4005 of 7120 Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 AM

Everyone

WFSB is trying something new. We put up a couple of web polls up to see what the viewers want on the HD channels for the basketball games this year.

Please keep in mind that we are locked into UCONN from Philly but everything else is up for grabs. The poll is by session and venue so vote now so we know what we will program come Thursday.

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/category.asp?C=77543

Hope this helps.

Let me know by email what games you want us to show on 3.3. Again, try to keep it by venue and session. We are working on cleaning up the resolution so the games will be alot cleaner.

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com

More to come....................
post #4006 of 7120 Old 03-13-2006, 03:58 PM

Liked: 12
While there was no specific mention of WTIC or WTXX, broadcast industry news on the web states that starting this summer, Tribune-owned stations will commence multi-casting. Tribune has signed a deal to put The Tube Music Network on a digital sub-channel. The Tube is a music video service that shows concerts and videos, and allows for the insertion of local band videos and local commercials.

WTXX and WTIC Television are owned by Tribune.
post #4007 of 7120 Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehorn View Post

Everyone

WFSB is trying something new. We put up a couple of web polls up to see what the viewers want on the HD channels for the basketball games this year.

Please keep in mind that we are locked into UCONN from Philly but everything else is up for grabs. The poll is by session and venue so vote now so we know what we will program come Thursday.

Hope this helps.

Let me know by email what games you want us to show on 3.3. Again, try to keep it by venue and session. We are working on cleaning up the resolution so the games will be alot cleaner.

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com

Joe,

Great idea with the poll. I think that's great that you are giving us a voice in what we want to see. I just e-mailed this to you, before I saw your post here, but it would be great if you could respond here.

RE: The Thursday afternoon HD choices of San Diego and Greensboro, they only overlap for the 2:40 games. Otherwise, Greensboro has a game at 12:20, and San Diego has a game at 5:10. So if you chose to do the San Diego games, does this mean that you would really show the 5:10 game on 3-1 in place of the news, etc.. And in that case, would there be no HD game in the 12:00 slot, or could you still do the Greensboro game at 12:20? Thanks for asking and listening to us, we appreciate it!
post #4008 of 7120 Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WFSB's Thursday schedule is as follows at this time. Subject to change of course:

12:20 PM Wichita State vs. Seton Hall 3.1 HD
12:40 PM Boston College vs. Pacific 3, 3.2
12:25 PM Oklahoma vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee 3.3

2:40 PM Marquette vs. Alabama. 3, 3.2
2:45 PM Florida vs. South Alabama 3.3
2:40 PM Tennessee vs. Winthrop 3.1 HD

7:10 PM George Washington vs. UNC Winthrop 3.1 HD
7:10 PM LSU vs. Iona 3
7:20 PM Gonzaga vs. Xavier 3.2
7:25 PM Illinois vs. Air Force 3.3

9:30 PM Duke vs. Southern 3.1 HD
9:30 PM Syracuse vs. Texas A&M 3, 3.2
9:45 PM Washington vs. Utah State 3.3

Wow, I have to say that this looks fantastic! Basketball heaven! I am still worried about the picture quality though! Fitting an HD signal and three subchannels sounds like too much to ask for fast action sports like BBall. My one piece of advice to WFSB is - for channel 3.3, don't worry about the PQ so much. I don't think you can spare it, and at most times it is the least desirable game. If it proves to be not working out, ditch 3.3 altogether. I think CBS does a good job of switching the main game to another when it's interesting so Analog 3 will probably switch to that game if it's close down the strech.

One other note, they are still looking into whether they can broadcast the 5:10 game at all on somewhere on the DT channel.
post #4009 of 7120 Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone

Hope this helps.

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com

Joe this is a great idea. Thanks for giving the fans a say in this.

I placed my votes now can you write me a note to get me out of work Thursday and friday afternoon?
post #4010 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 AM

Just an update.

We are broadcasting the 5:10 UCLA game on 3.3.

Also, word has spread and the Adelphia and Cox cable systems are going to be carrying our subchannel games on their systems. I do not know the channels yet but they confirmed they.

Please be patient with us for the 1st couple of minutes onj Thursday to see what is going on with the 3 streams on DT. We did some tweaking but it was with regular programming, not basketball. We think we will be OK but we may have to tweak here and there to make it all work.

I was hoping that the Courant would have said something about the games and our subchannels but oh well.

As always, questions and comments are always welcome

wfsbengineering@wfsb.com
post #4011 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 AM

Hello All,
Though I am very happy I receive CT's ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, and UPN (less us not forget I/Pax), I surrender to find more. I would be happier if I could get Channel 3 (33), and 20.
I have spent the month putting antenna's outside, in my 3rd floor, and settled for my attic for my outdoor antenna. I have to use a stupid Terk 55 in my office to get Channel 8. Well, it cannot be that stupid, as it is the only thing that will get 8. It only works in my office too.
I have tuned in many other channels, as far as NYC! Then the next day, they are gone! Since I am not savy, my best guess is Solar Flares taunt me.
Today, I have surrendered. I can only hang out windows, and my attic for so long. I have cuts, welts, abrasions, and a near death experiance. I will live with the fact that CBS is just moot. Sure, I could buy a new Channel Master system for over $100. Is this worth it to me for one channel? Nahhhhhh, I'll have to deal with a few shows on CBS I like on my SD-PVR.
Everything is set up, and will be left this way, as it works it's possible best. Now, after a month, I will enjoy watching this darn TV, instead of tweaking it. Not that it has not been fun.
I have tried to comprehend the theroy of antennas, but I just don't get it. I have been all over here, and google, I think I have seen it all. I can make a Wi-Fi Cantenna that sniffs the streets, but I am not a TV guy, I guess.
Thank you everyone for your posts. Even lurking, they made sense to my situation, in all areas of HDTV. I will continue to use this thread, and BBS often. Perhaps when I am less sore, and tired, I might want to try again.
Thanks again, I'll be around!
Mark

Live simply, so other may simply live
post #4012 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Friday's schedule from WFSB:

12:30p Arkansas vs. Bucknell 3, 3.2
12:15p OSU vs. Davidson 3.3
12:30p Arizona vs. Wisconsin 3.1 HD

2:50p Villanova Game 3, 3.1 HD, 3.2

2:35p GTown vs. N Iowa 3.3

7:25p UCONN vs. Albany 3, 3.1 HD 3.2
7:20p Cal. Vs. NC 3.3

9:30p UNC vs. Murray State 3, 3.2
9:40p Texas vs. Penn 3.3
9:45p Kentucky vs. UAB 3.1 HD

This brings in my only beef with their schedule: I don't know why the Villanova game would be on three channels when the West Virginia vs. Southern Illinois game should be one of the best games of the opening rounds.

Well, if that's my only beef I say they have done a darn good job!
post #4013 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Unfortunately, we are bound by the CBS network to carry certain games. In the case of Villanova, we are subject to what CBS makes us take at that time period.

Hope everyone in enjoying the games.

The San Diego situation really screwed up the CBS schedule so we are riding the wave with CBS.

We are running UCONN press conference's live on the internet if anyone is interested.

www.wfsb.com

Enjoy
post #4014 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, word has spread and the Adelphia and Cox cable systems are going to be carrying our subchannel games on their systems. I do not know the channels yet but they confirmed they.

Adelphia has both subchannels live.

WFSB2 - Channel 150
WFSB3 - Channel 151

To be honest, I notice a very small difference in picture quality with macroblocking on the HD channel but overall I am very impressed with the PQ given the number of high motion channels being pushed. Great job WFSB!
post #4015 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeth Ransom View Post

Though I am very happy I receive CT's ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, and UPN (let us not forget I/Pax), I surrender to find more. I would be happier if I could get Channel 3 (33), and 20...

About Channel 20, that station's broadcasting antenna in Farmington is currently pointed southwest toward Waterbury because that is the city that the station was originally licensed to serve. I also have trouble pulling in this channel partly because in East Windsor I am on the "back side" of their directional antenna. It is also pointed in a different direction from you in New London.

At some point in the future the antenna will be moved off the tower's side and up to the top of the tower and then may broadcast a more omnidirectional pattern. You mentioned that you receive FOX61 now, and that station's antenna is also temporarily side-mounted on the same Farmington tower as WB20 and eventually will move up to the top. The tower that they are on is the highest broadcast tower in the area. So when Channel 20's antenna is moved to the top you might be able to receive this channel in New London.

WB20's and FOX61's antennas cannot move up to the top until the FCC assigns a new digital channel number to Hartford's CPTV, whose antenna will also locate to the top of the Farmington tower. There has already been a couple years' delay in the FCC decision and I'm not aware of anything happening in the near future that will jumpstart this project.
post #4016 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 05:10 PM

WHNB,
Thank you for writing. I understand what you said, and it makes sense to me. Sometimes my channel search looks like it might pull it in sometimes, but no go. I am not able to add channels manually on my Sanyo Direct View. The channel search is the only way to add channels, sadly.
Is 20's position at channel 12 mean it is VHF?
Joe Horn has helped me with channel 3. One thing he had me do was to put my antenna on the analog input. I never tried this before, as I thought I'd get the same results in analog. I was wrong! I got 20, and 3 analog. I also got a handful of stations from Rhode Island. My signals were weak for analog channels 18, and 24. Therefore, there is an issue on my end, or a deflection of the signal on its way to me.
I think my equipment is sound enough that if the wave is here, it would find it. I've tried bouncing off other antennas in the hood, the compass degrees, etc. Once we have some work done to our house I might try a roof mount. I'm not sure if it will be much better than the attic, as it clears other houses, and trees. Since this is a 3 story house, the attic is quite small. At it's peak, there is not that much more than building material to penetrate.
I thought that HD travels on the same type of wave as analog, but I must be wrong. It seems more directional.
I'm not too sure where to go from here. I guess I shall wait with many of you out there, until the channels get there new designations, and move up those towers. Hearing the info you gave, it seems lucky I do get what I have.
Thank you again for the info.
Mark

post #4017 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 05:47 PM

I forgot to mention I also get channel 23 out of ?. I cannot tell, it is en espanol.
Mark

post #4018 of 7120 Old 03-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
Joe,

I knew years ago that multicasting would show the true value of digital TV. Glad to see multiple games available.

Word should get to the directors though to tell the camera operators to pull back a bit. If they're going to take up so much room at the top of the screen with scores and clocks from other games, they should allow us to see the heads of the players on the far side of the court. Sometimes it's cutting off the ball at the top of the basket. They need a strip of masking tape along the top of their monitors.

Has anyone experimented with taking the 16:9 frame and putting a 4:3 video image on it and use the remaining space on the side for graphics?

Paul
post #4019 of 7120 Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Joe,

Bravo to you folks so far! I did not get a chance to watch too much yesterday, but I was pleased with what I saw. 3-3 looked very blocky as we expected, and that means you guys are not stealing much bandwith from the main channels, excellent!

I took the day off today and am having about a dozen guys over, so I'll be watching every minute of it today on 3 or 4 TVs, and loving it!
post #4020 of 7120 Old 03-17-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeth Ransom View Post

I forgot to mention I also get channel 23 out of ?. I cannot tell, it is en espanol.
Mark

Have to believe it's the digital signal for WUTF (23 DT and 66 analog), Telefutura Network. Tower is just northeast of Worcester in Marlboro.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...redpin,WUTF-TV
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page