AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Hartford, CT - OTA (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/315169-hartford-ct-ota.html)

AreBee 08-25-2006 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post

Interesting! I wonder if there has been a resolve between CPTV and WABC over the use of digital channel 45. IIRC, and I may not, one of the local channels appeared as a digital channel on one of my Directv receivers before it actually went live. Maybe that is was is going on this time. Let's hope!

I just received a PM from Arnold Chase who owns the Rattlesnake Mt. antenna complex.

Here are the guts of it.

If you look at the tower, you will see it has been rigged by the tower crew, and the long awaited tower project is FINALLY underway!
They are currently increasing the size of the guy cables, and they will then remove the Channel 61 analog antenna and replace it with the new candelabra assembly resulting in full power 61DT, 20DT, and 24DT signals (as well as a new CH 24 analog signal) very soon.

GREAT NEWS!

brewer4 08-25-2006 07:08 AM

Awesome news.

stumacdo 08-25-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreBee View Post

I just received a PM from Arnold Chase who owns the Rattlesnake Mt. antenna complex.

Here are the guts of it.

If you look at the tower, you will see it has been rigged by the tower crew, and the long awaited tower project is FINALLY underway!
They are currently increasing the size of the guy cables, and they will then remove the Channel 61 analog antenna and replace it with the new candelabra assembly resulting in full power 61DT, 20DT, and 24DT signals (as well as a new CH 24 analog signal) very soon.

GREAT NEWS!

This is awesome news. Wonder if they're trying to get it up and running for the start of the Fall Season in a few weeks.

raoul5788 08-25-2006 07:23 AM

[quote=AreBee]I just received a PM from Arnold Chase who owns the Rattlesnake Mt. antenna complex.

Here are the guts of it.

You mention 24DT. Does this mean that channel 24 will be broadcasting digitally soon?

AreBee 08-25-2006 07:36 AM

[quote=raoul5788]
Quote:

Here are the guts of it.

You mention 24DT. Does this mean that channel 24 will be broadcasting digitally soon?

It sounds like it. I have an email address somewhere for CPTV's station amnager, so I'll shoot out an email to him. I believe they have been supplying a digital feed to certain cable systems, they just haven't had the ability to transmit OTA. WVIT did the same thing a few years back.

ctdish 08-25-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Here are the guts of it.

GREAT NEWS!

What physical channel will 24DT be on?
John

AreBee 08-25-2006 10:40 AM

WEDH station manager is out of the office. His assistant stated he will get back to me next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

What physical channel will 24DT be on?
John

This application filed 5/30/06 seems to say channel 45 which is the same for WEDN-DT.

See these links below.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...&fac_num=13602

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/dtv/start/dtv2-69all.txt

brewer4 08-25-2006 12:13 PM

The plan was to move WEDH out of Hartford at 45 and move the existing WEDN out of Norwich to VHF 9. Since I havent seen the outcome of the FCC request, this may be the new allocation as well.

r_pan 08-26-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Here are the guts of it.

GREAT NEWS!

Any idea about the schedule that will be very excited news!

Ken7 08-27-2006 06:35 AM

Hi Johnner, do you get the local HD's with Direct TV?

brewer4 08-28-2006 05:44 AM

Ken, I got the Hartford HD locals (CBS and NBC) from D* but decided to "move" my address to Boston when they decided to jerk over CT residents with NESN HD. The Boston CBS is pretty much unwatchable but the rest are looking good now. (The Hartford ones did look good when I had them). The combo with my OTA HD channels locally makes a good configuration.

KML0224 08-28-2006 07:42 AM

How are you getting WBZ-TV with a Hartford address?

PaulieORF 08-28-2006 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KML0224 View Post

He changed his service address from CT to the Boston area.

tase2 08-28-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

How did he get CBS HD from D* when he "lived" in Hartford?

brewer4 08-28-2006 12:19 PM

The Hartford HD locals launched in June on D*. But only WFSB (CBS) and WVIT (NBC) were made available. You need the new 5 LNB AT9 dish that can get the MPEG4 local spotbeams with an H20 HD Receiver. The new HR20 HD DVR will get the channels as well.

What happened after they launched, D* launched NESN HD but excluded NESN territories outside of Boston zip codes. Since I get all my locals OTA anyways, I called D* and had them change my service address to Boston. Since we are on the same spot beams, Boston locals. I viewed the Hartford ones when I had them and they did look good comparable to OTA. The Boston CBS is however fraught with many many issues. I am very happy to watch WFSB CBS off antenna.

jestjuggle 08-28-2006 06:02 PM

Well I have been reading this forum for months and doing research on how to get local channels. I was very dissapointed that D* wanted me to spend money for one more local channel so I bought the bullet and bought a CM4228 today and installed it on my roof in Vernon. We just finished watching Prison Break in HD and get all the networks (includung WTNH) now in HD. Amazing the greed of two of the local channels that you can't pay to watch them, but can watch them for free. Oh well enough for now we are going to watch Vanished now. Thanx to all the people on this forum that recommended the CM4228.

brewer4 08-28-2006 06:08 PM

Awesome Jestjuggle. Welcome to the forum.

PaulieORF 08-28-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestjuggle View Post

Well I have been reading this forum for months and doing research on how to get local channels. I was very dissapointed that D* wanted me to spend money for one more local channel so I bought the bullet and bought a CM4228 today and installed it on my roof in Vernon. We just finished watching Prison Break in HD and get all the networks (includung WTNH) now in HD. Amazing the greed of two of the local channels that you can't pay to watch them, but can watch them for free. Oh well enough for now we are going to watch Vanished now. Thanx to all the people on this forum that recommended the CM4228.

I thought the CM4228 was a UHF only antenna, but it looks like that's not true. Are you able to pick up WTXX-DT on channel 12?

jestjuggle 08-28-2006 07:06 PM

Yep - can get WTXX too. That is further away and I have the antenna pointed toward WTIC so the signal is not as strong, but no drop outs. If you read the stats for the 4228 it works well on the higher end of VHF. I was amazed that WTNH came in so well as the antenna is actually picking it up from the side. Must be because VHF is not as directional as UHF. I was also amazed that I got channel 22 from Springfield. It is actually picking it up from the backside of the antenna. I think if I bought a rotor that I could get numerous channels and we are located in one of the lowest spots in Vernon. I will be tweaking more in days to come and will keep you posted as to my findings.

PaulieORF 08-28-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Yep - can get WTXX too. That is further away and I have the antenna pointed toward WTIC so the signal is not as strong, but no drop outs. If you read the stats for the 4228 it works well on the higher end of VHF. I was amazed that WTNH came in so well as the antenna is actually picking it up from the side. Must be because VHF is not as directional as UHF. I was also amazed that I got channel 22 from Springfield. It is actually picking it up from the backside of the antenna. I think if I bought a rotor that I could get numerous channels and we are located in one of the lowest spots in Vernon. I will be tweaking more in days to come and will keep you posted as to my findings.

Are you using an amplifier? I live in Prospect (near Waterbury, Cheshire) and have this problem (not to stray off the topic, but I am). I have a RadioShack 160 dual boom UHF/VHF antenna, and pointing towards Hartford I pick up WVIT-DT, WFSB-DT, WTNH-DT, WTXX-DT, and WCTX-DT. If I connect my amp, I can get WTIC-DT with a good signal, and can only also receive WVIT-DT and WFSB-DT. WTNH-DT, WCTX-DT, and WTXX-DT lose all their signal. I can leave the amp on and turn towrads the south an pick them up, but lose the rest. And like I said, facing Hartford I get everything with the exception of WTIC-DT without an amp. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Seems like the amp is overloading WTXX-DT, WTNH-DT, and WCTX-DT.

jestjuggle 08-28-2006 07:31 PM

I didn't buy an amp or rotor until I checked out the antenna. No sense buying things you don't need. I was able to get digital signals WTNH, WTIC (with lots of drop outs) and WFSB before I even put antenna on the roof and pointed it where I wanted. It really is a great antenna and it costs less than $60.

raoul5788 08-29-2006 02:59 AM

Quote:

I didn't buy an amp or rotor until I checked out the antenna. No sense buying things you don't need. I was able to get digital signals WTNH, WTIC (with lots of drop outs) and WFSB before I even put antenna on the roof and pointed it where I wanted. It really is a great antenna and it costs less than $60.

It s an excellent antenna. I have mine mounted on the roof here in Cheshire. I get all of the locals except WEDN-DT from Norwich. I have it pointed at Rattlesnake Mtn but pick up WTNH-DT and WCTX-DT from
Gaylord Mtn just fine, even though WTNH-DT is high vhf. I am not using any amp.

PaulieORF, have you tried an omni-directional antenna? I know they don't generally work as well, but from Prospect you should have better signal strength than most of us.

PaulieORF 08-29-2006 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post

It s an excellent antenna. I have mine mounted on the roof here in Cheshire. I get all of the locals except WEDN-DT from Norwich. I have it pointed at Rattlesnake Mtn but pick up WTNH-DT and WCTX-DT from
Gaylord Mtn just fine, even though WTNH-DT is high vhf. I am not using any amp.

PaulieORF, have you tried an omni-directional antenna? I know they don't generally work as well, but from Prospect you should have better signal strength than most of us.

I had one of these way back, when WTNH and WFSB were the only stations broadcasting HD here. WTNH was at full power, and I had no problem getting it. WFSB was at low power, and all I got was a low signal with non-stop breakup.

KML0224 08-29-2006 06:37 AM

WTNH-DT isn't even at full power today, although I can get it here in New Britain's south end with little trouble. They can't increase power because of WJAR-TV (NBC) channel 10 in Providence, RI.

PaulieORF 08-29-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

WTNH-DT isn't even at full power today, although I can get it here in New Britain's south end with little trouble. They can't increase power because of WJAR-TV (NBC) channel 10 in Providence, RI.

Here's a question related to that:

When the analog cutoff occurs, will stations be using their old analog channel for their digital broadcast? i.e. WTNH stops using channel 10 for WTNH-DT, and starts using channel 8 for that. Or are all these channels going to change their names, like WTNH will be "News Channel 10"?

dsanbo 08-29-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Here's a question related to that:

When the analog cutoff occurs, will stations be using their old analog channel for their digital broadcast? i.e. WTNH stops using channel 10 for WTNH-DT, and starts using channel 8 for that. Or are all these channels going to change their names, like WTNH will be "News Channel 10"?

According to a NECRAT chart (from 2/15/05)....
WTNH WILL revert back to channel 10 from channel 8 in 2009, when analog is (supposedly) ended.....
WEDN (Norwich) will revert back to channel 9 from channel 53
WEDY (New Haven) elected to wait to "Round 2" of the frequency allocation; no word (per my chart) whether they'll stay on channel 6 (probable) or 65 (doubtful, given relatively poor signal propagation on such a high UHF channel....).
Here in NH.....WMUR-DT (59) will revert back to 9....WENH-DT (57) will return to 11.
FYI....WHDH-DT (42) will go back to 7.....
HTH!

BigTetto 08-29-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Good stuff Jest... I'll have to keep that antenna in mind as well (live in Manchester).

Thanks,
Mike

CHDinCT 08-30-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanbo View Post

According to a NECRAT chart (from 2/15/05)....
WTNH WILL revert back to channel 10 from channel 8 in 2009, when analog is (supposedly) ended.....
WEDN (Norwich) will revert back to channel 9 from channel 53
WEDY (New Haven) elected to wait to "Round 2" of the frequency allocation; no word (per my chart) whether they'll stay on channel 6 (probable) or 65 (doubtful, given relatively poor signal propagation on such a high UHF channel....).
Here in NH.....WMUR-DT (59) will revert back to 9....WENH-DT (57) will return to 11.
FYI....WHDH-DT (42) will go back to 7.....
HTH!

dsanbo,

Thanks for the info but I need to check one item. Will WTNH revert back to channel 10 or 8? Analog is on 8 and digital is on 10, so I'm guessing when analog shuts down, the digital signal on 10 will revert to channel 8. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

Chris

KML0224 08-30-2006 02:44 PM

Yes, analog WTNH-TV is channel 8 while WTNH-DT is channel 10. As for WEDY-DT, they will NOT be on channel 65 for digital because that part of the UHF band will be for other services after 2009.

ctdish 08-30-2006 05:02 PM

Check here to to see where channels are probably going to end up. http://www.xmtr.com/fcc/dtvch.zip
John