Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have any cable HD updates? The last I knew, the only local Comcast was carrying was WVIT. Is that still true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
Comcast is giving me NBC, ESPN, Showtime, HBO, PBS, and a couple weird ones. ESPN has all sorts of problems coming in, NBC often flips between HD and digital right in the middle of a show, and the rest have some weird volume issues. It's driving me batty . And of course my local reception here is terrible. I guess I was a little too spoiled. I'm hoping Comcast expands their lineup soon. It baffles me that they don't at least have the big 3 networks' HD lineup.

-MP

At least you get that. With Eastern CT, you get diddly, as in nothing HD and no timetable to provide it. I think it is run out of someone's basement.
post #33 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I posted this elsewhere, but I just lost WFSB-DT this past weekend. Thursday was in and out, but since then nothing. This is using my Integrated tuner in the Mitsubishi TV. I have to see if my DTC-100 still gets it. ABC out of NH is still good as is WTXX from waterbury. Cant wait unitl the others go too.

Has anyone else noticed WFSB being worse than normal? It used to come in crystal clear with no breakups, now nothing. I hope Cox carries these guys soon and unscrambled....I already pay $10 to have cable in my house and I was hoping to have the digital OTA stations as part of that.
post #34 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I get WFSB better than I used to. It is watchable now.
fitsman,
nice to see another HT enthusiast and big NY Giants fan like me near by.
post #35 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

I just checked WFSB minutes ago, (7:00 p.m. Tuesday). 3-3 is still coming in fine for me and 3-1 looks identical. Usually 3-1 is stretched when showing 4:3 programming but today I see black bars just like 3-3.
post #36 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

CKNA or AreBee, I just tried my DTC-100 and it works fine, I get a 46 signal strength just like I used to. I am not sure why my Mits cannot tune in WFSB anymore. It seems like something did change there this weekend, I wonder if the signal is now incompatable with Mits integrated. Niether one of you would happen to have a Mits integrated tuner would you?

Anyone out there in CT with an integrated set who gets WFSB now?

Brian
post #37 of 7124 Old 11-04-2003, 08:47 PM

I live in East Longmeadow, MA and use a samsung SIR-TS160 and I also had problems with WFSB starting this weekend. Could not get CSI miami in last night.

In case anyone is interested, I use a radio shack XUR120 12" boom antenna on my roof with a radio shack rotor and radio shack 30 db amplifier.

I can consistently get in WWLP, WTNH, the WB station from CT, and PBS. WFSB was coming in with a few dropouts until yesterday when I started getting more dropouts.

I was not able to get FSB at all until I had the rotor installed. It still only goes up to 36 on the signal meter max.

Looks like there are changes on the WTNH channel tonight. NYPD blue is showing up on Channel 8-2 with a blank 8-1. The sports wire is gone also.
NYPD blue is in dolby digital 5.1 which is cool. I do not think it has been in dolby digital in the past.

One more comment that may help people. I find that with the radio shack amp I need to tur nthe amplification strength down to about 1/2 to get all the channels in. More than that and the signal vanishes.

Here is a problem that I have. With WWLP, when they come back from commercials it looks like they turn off the dolby digital for a second which causes my JVC receiver to have to re-initialized dolby digital and lose about 4 seconds of audio. I can see the dolby digital light go off for a sec then on again. this occurs also on a zenith HDV420 terrestriail receiver as well.

anyway, hope someone finds these posts helpful. It has taken quite a bit of time for me to get all the channels in.
post #38 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 06:34 AM

I am in Milford (just south-west of New Haven) and still cant get WFSB to show up on my RCA DTC100 at all!!! I get WTNH at about 95% but no WTXX or WFSB. I have a CM 4224 on garage roof with rotor and CM 7777 amp. I pull in NYC WCBS and FOX usually, unless bad weather is in the air. Are there any tricks I can pull to get WFSB and/or WTXX in??? Any tips or advise appreciated, thanks!!!

scottte
post #39 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 07:33 AM

I am in Tolland and still cannot get WFSB. Signal strentgh is still about 15. On WTNH, I get occasional dropouts audio and video. I changed antenna amps from a Radio Shack model 15-1109 to a channelmaster. It did seem to reduce the number of dropouts butI still get one every few minutes. Channel 20 is much better without almost no dropouts. Is anyone else having occasional dropouts with Ch 8? Also it seems during the day when they broadcast in SD, there is only analog audio.
post #40 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 08:50 AM

I found with WTNH that I got a lot of dropouts unless I reduced my 30db radio shack amp to about half strength. I had a lot more dropous on my old Zenith HDV 420 than I do now with the samsung SIR-TS160.
post #41 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by fitsman
CKNA or AreBee, I just tried my DTC-100 and it works fine, I get a 46 signal strength just like I used to. I am not sure why my Mits cannot tune in WFSB anymore. It seems like something did change there this weekend, I wonder if the signal is now incompatable with Mits integrated. Niether one of you would happen to have a Mits integrated tuner would you?

Anyone out there in CT with an integrated set who gets WFSB now?

Brian

Brian, I am in Cheshire and do get WFSB on my Mits with integrated tuner. I do get some dropouts ... it seams to be weather dependent. Both 3-1 and 3-3 were HD last night. I wonder if they are switching their HD to 3-1 and dropping 3-3 when they go to full power (soon I hope).

Allen
post #42 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by db999md
NYPD blue is in dolby digital 5.1 which is cool. I do not think it has been in dolby digital in the past.

Don't know about that. Blue has been 5.1 for years since it's been HDTV, here in beautiful Newington.

I currently have a Terk 50 chicken-ship-ly mounted on my Dish 61.5 mast with a bungee cord. I get WTNH at about 85-90% with occasional breakups that I attribute to multi-plexing because of no rotor.

Like other folks, WFSB has just started coming in again at about 65% with occasional breakups.

Can't get PBS in Mass., WTXX digital comes in sometimes, Fox is usually lame, and UPN is usually a lame signal as well.

After enviously reading about AreBee's great reception the next town over, I've been in contact with him about his setup. Hopefully, time permitting this weekend, I'll buy a real antenna, mast and a HDTV MUST-HAVE rotor and can my current chicken-ship setup.

Thanks again Ralph.

Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes...."

Front Projection Home Theater since 1979.

Click here to see my Home Theater "Corvette Cinema"
post #43 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I will try my TV again tonight, but I think I might have problem with it. Not good, especialy since I had them swap it out already for what turned out to be an issue with my Anthem AVM-20, not the TV.

What gets me is that it was working fine, then all of a sudden it started to have some dropouts, then more and then alot and now nothing...Non of the other stations have any problem what so ever. I get a nice stong signal from WTNH and CH 20 WB (I think that is wtxx right?)...This is very wierd. I would think that the 3 generation newer mits tuner would be better than the DTC-100 which still gets the signal just fine.
post #44 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After enviously reading about AreBee's great reception the next town over, I've been in contact with him about his setup. Hopefully, time permitting this weekend, I'll buy a real antenna, mast and a HDTV MUST-HAVE rotor and can my current chicken-ship setup.

Thanks again Ralph.

No problem Bob. Hope everything works out for you.

Are you going rooftop or attic install?
post #45 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 03:37 PM

I noticed a change in WTNH today (10-1). During the day when they are broadcasting in standard definition, they are now sending a progressive signal that is not stretched or cropped. Also the audio is dolby digital, where it had not been available for the last couple of days. To me this looks a lot better than whaat they had been doing.
post #46 of 7124 Old 11-05-2003, 04:07 PM

Something else about WTHN. The 10-2 and 10-3 channels which were weather and sports are now duplicates of 10-1.
post #47 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by eorcman
Something else about WTHN. The 10-2 and 10-3 channels which were weather and sports are now duplicates of 10-1.

Noticed the same thing last night, 8-1 is now a blank screen and 8-3 doesn't even show up in my on-screen guide (via my Samsung T-160). The improvements to the digital signal (on 8-2) are nice, but my wife is a big fan of the always available local radar, especially since we can't get local weather updates (including radar) via Direct TV. Anyone know if this is a temporary or permanent change?

Chris

Chris
post #48 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 08:48 AM

Interesting Chris. I get signal on 8-1 8-2 and 8-3 (actually 10-1,2&3). I asked the question of Wtnh. I will let you know when I get a reply.
post #49 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 08:52 AM

Anyone notice strange signal issues with WWLP/22 this week. I used to get it solid in the high 80's, now I'm getting a wide variety 5-85. Noticed they put up a radar loop on 22-2 (Northern CT, Southern MA) like WTNH also - may have been there a while, never noticed it.

Wondering if the leaves dropping from the trees have caused me problems, or if its something other than my setup. Any info would be helpful.
post #50 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CHDinCT
Noticed the same thing last night, 8-1 is now a blank screen and 8-3 doesn't even show up in my on-screen guide (via my Samsung T-160). The improvements to the digital signal (on 8-2) are nice, but my wife is a big fan of the always available local radar, especially since we can't get local weather updates (including radar) via Direct TV. Anyone know if this is a temporary or permanent change?

Chris

Chris,

What area of southern CT are you in. I have been considering trying the antenna route, but I don't want a 144" boom on my roof. I believe that I am within 40 miles of each tower. So anyone have any ideas as to equipment/vendors that will install an antenna/router, etc.

Rich
post #51 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 09:23 AM

I'm looking for an antenna to put in my attic. I'm thinking about getting the "160" Long Dual Boom, 57 Element Antenna" from radioshack, partly because I could return it if it doesn't work for me, and also because I want to receive as many channels as possible. It does cost $100 though. Before I go ahead and do this, could anyone tell me if there are any better options? I'm in the New Haven area.

Thanks
post #52 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 09:31 AM

If you are going with a dual UHF/VHF model, make sure you can turn it in your attic. I recommend seperate UHF & VHF antenna's given ABC is VHF and all others on Rattlesnake Mt. area will be mostly UHF, therefore you will avoid having to turn your antenna. You will need lots of room either way in the attic.

I have two seperates now, turn only the VHF antenna (ABC in NY, NBC in Springfield), UHF pointend at CBS mini-tower on Avon Mt.

Have Wineguard for models both - get 'em as big as you can fit
post #53 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Such,
what do you recommend for combining the signals of the two antennas into the receiver? I have a Terk 50 (I believe) in the attic and am fortunate to be 850 ft up. I can almost get all channels but the 3.1 vs the 8.1 (CBS vs ABC) is a tread off. I often get both at the same time...but usually, if I want to minimize drop offs I would adjust the antenna by a few degrees depending on which channel I want to see. So, I was thinking, maybe I should get another Terk 50 and have it dedicated to ABC (8.1).
Thanks
post #54 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Terk antennas are generally regarded as very poor quality for the money. They sell based on their looks, and the fact that the boxes are small enough to be easily sold in retail stores. A very inexpensive VHF antenna will probably do the job for you at that elevation. In Cromwell, I'm able to get Channel 8 with $7 rabbit ears.

I'm trying to go with two different antennas too. A UHF only pointed at the Avon/Farmington towers, and a small VHF pointed at Channel 8. Anybody know of a small, low profile outdoor VHF that can be combined with a UHF?
post #55 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 11:40 AM

I use a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp, that has a UHF & VHF input option so you can connect either a combo, or seperate antenna's through the pre-amp. My Wineguard UHF antenna also has a VHF F-Connector on it that will combine the signal if you are not using a pre-amp.

Second the motion on the Terk, I have a Terk55 in my basement collecting dust. don;t think combining Terks will work as they will generally cancel each other out as opposed to adding signal together. It gets really technical (beyond my attention span) to figure out precise distances apart based on the channel wave lenght, etc. to make it work & you would need to use something like a Channel Master Jointenna that is modulated to pass only one specific channel. I've played around with them, but not had much luck. Especially give we have UHF and VHF stations so close (VHF Ch 10, 11 and 12 in this area, and UHF's will also be close when they are all up).
post #56 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmcgirr83
Chris,

What area of southern CT are you in. I have been considering trying the antenna route, but I don't want a 144" boom on my roof. I believe that I am within 40 miles of each tower. So anyone have any ideas as to equipment/vendors that will install an antenna/router, etc.

Rich

Rich,

I'm in Killingworth, but I can't give you much advice as I'm only using a cheap RCA rabbit ears setup for now, with which I only get WTNH to any degree. I am leaning toward putting up a Channelmaster 4228 (8-bay bow tie) with a rotor and CM 7777 pre-amp. However, this decision is partially based on the fact that it's the only deep fringe antenna that will fit in my attic (don't want to put one on the roof) as I have a truss-roof set up (lots of beans running in triangular shapes holding up the roof). I think I'll need the extra gain that this antenna would give in order to pull in Hartford area stations and because I'm basically in the woods where I live.

Chris

Chris
post #57 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have one of the Jointenna's and it does work. I get ABC via it and the rest come from a Terk pointed towards rattlesnake mountain. Until recently I used to get 3 stations without turning an antenna. The Yagi is definatly better than the Terk. I used to have 2 terks hooked up this way and my signal strength went up 30% with a cheaper antenna. I should get a better antenna and replace my terk...then I might get CBS back.
post #58 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
fitsman,
so you have a Yagi connected to a joinantenna which passes only ABC (channel 8)?
Thanks
post #59 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Such
If you are going with a dual UHF/VHF model, make sure you can turn it in your attic. I recommend seperate UHF & VHF antenna's given ABC is VHF and all others on Rattlesnake Mt. area will be mostly UHF, therefore you will avoid having to turn your antenna. You will need lots of room either way in the attic.

That RadioShack one I mentioned says UHF Range 100 miles. Is that true? It seems to be greater than any of the ChannelMaster ones. I was also considering the "Channel Master 4228 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna" since mostly I just need to receive UHF plus Channel 12 (WB), but it only lists the UHF range as 60 miles.
post #60 of 7124 Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM

Panda - I have the Radio Shack antenna that you mentioned. I am satisfied with it. I did have to get an amplifier to get adequate reception. Reception depends a lot on the terrain between you and the transmitter. I am a long way from the transmitters and have a high ridge between my house and the towers.

I think the ratings on the antennas have to be taken with a grain of salt. Those ranges might be correct if you were out in the great plains. Here in Ct., I would not expect those type of results. I am 43 miles from WTNH and I get a good picture but with occasional dropouts. I never get a signal at 100%. I am at 26 miles from WTXX and I do get a 100% signal from them. Both of these are VHF. WEDN in Norwich at 28 miles also comes in at 100%, this is UHF. However WFSB at 23 miles does not come in because of low power.

By the way, I was not satisfied with the Radio Shack amplifier that I bought. I took it back and bought a Channelmaster antenna from Lowes. Much fewer dropouts on WTNH. Lowes also sells Channelmaster antennas.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page