Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 237 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all of the input. I thought about trying a different antenna. The only reason I hesitated, is that most of the channels that I pick up great (CBS, NBC) and are UHF, are located in the same direction, and are farther away from FOX 61. Raoul5788 is correct, I can pick up WTNH perfectly without anything attached, as I can see the antenna from house- 1/2 mile away. I'm still new at this. Is it possible that my antenna isn't picking up FOX because it is a higer channel- 61.1?. I can pick up WCTX 59.1 great, but that is the highest I can get. Thanks again for all the advice. Great forum !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WTIC-TV uses channel 31 for their digital. If you're getting WCCT-TV, WEDH-TV and WVIT-TV with no troubles, you should get WTIC-TV, since they're all at Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington.

By the way, do you get the digital signal of WEDY-TV (PBS) from New Haven? Analog or digital, I have never received them here in New Britain's south end.
post #7083 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Fox is the one local channel I have issues with here in Cheshire. Regardless of their published numbers, the signal just isn't as robust as the rest.

Chip
post #7084 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoishirokatta View Post

Hello,

I was so happy to see some current posts on this subject!  I am so tired of Comcast.  What can I do to get OTA channels on my HDTV?  Is there a box, receiver, device, antenna, combination thereof?  I have tried Mohu, an old Radio Shack antenna etc... and nothing.   I think I need some sort of receiver to "invite" the signal in.

Also does anyone else notice how much more clear the picture is when using an antenna than cable?  The difference in picture when I was able to get the Mohu to work (once or twice, letting it hang out the window!) was amazing and such brilliant color.   I guess this is new to me because I refuse to pay that cash cow Comcast any extra money for their *$)@ HD box and service.  I despise these cable cows!

Please help!

Thanks,

All you need is a properly sized antenna, preferably an outdoor one. Check here: www.antennaweb.org, and here: www.tvfool.com They will be able to help as to what antenna is best for your location.

Chip
post #7085 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM

http://www.antennapoint.com/ is also a good site
post #7086 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 AM

How do you like your channel master CM 4228? Are you able to FOX at all with it?
post #7087 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Would a longer range antenna work to pull in FOX? Are directional antennas better than multi-directionals? Being located in Hamden, all of my stations pretty much line up in the same direction, which is why I originally went with the directional RCA ANT751. Any antenna recommendations?
post #7088 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckrip View Post

How do you like your channel master CM 4228? Are you able to FOX at all with it?

It's a good antenna over all. I sometimes have issues with Fox and PBS, but they are usually stable.

Chip
post #7089 of 7124 Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks. I was considering a- Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna, but thought it might be overkill. Will have to install it when the wife isn't home, as it's 7' long.

post #7090 of 7124 Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Success!

Thanks to everyone's input. I picked up a more powerful UHF antenna-Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB91x from Amazon for about $50. Big improvement over the RCA ANT751. Was able to pick up a few more channels, including FOX 61. Ready for football season. Cancelled Comcast yesterday!
post #7091 of 7124 Old 06-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckrip View Post
Thanks to everyone's input. I picked up a more powerful UHF antenna-Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB91x from Amazon for about $50. Big improvement over the RCA ANT751. Was able to pick up a few more channels, including FOX 61. Ready for football season. Cancelled Comcast yesterday!
Great news, I hope the wife approves!

Chip
post #7092 of 7124 Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HELP!

My wife and I have decided to pull the plug on cable in favor of streaming and OTA transmissions. I am having a hard time figuring out the best option for an OTA antenna for service in New Haven. I have the following data from TV Fool about antennas in my area.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c65cef80374d

What is the best antenna for the signals on this report? I am willing to install a roof mount antenna.

Thanks!!

Dan
post #7093 of 7124 Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 AM

Liked: 0
A co-worker in southern Ct had Charter come to his house to install Internet. The installer saw that he had OTA hooked up but no cable. Guy said sorry man as of August 6th CT is shutting down digital signal. Was this a line to try and get him to subscribe to Charter?
post #7094 of 7124 Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmazz View Post
A co-worker in southern Ct had Charter come to his house to install Internet. The installer saw that he had OTA hooked up but no cable. Guy said sorry man as of August 6th CT is shutting down digital signal. Was this a line to try and get him to subscribe to Charter?
Ha! That's classic. Gotta love those intelligent cable installers.
post #7095 of 7124 Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees251 View Post
Ha! That's classic. Gotta love those intelligent cable installers.
That's what I figured.
post #7096 of 7124 Old 07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
WOW, that is sleazy. Although anyone stupid enough to believe that kind of bull**** deserves to get ripped off!
post #7097 of 7124 Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM

WOW! To go along with that, there are some people who thought OTA television was done away with in 2009, when the digital conversion happened.

The only reason I have Comcast now is because a relative can't get suitable OTA reception in her room, plus watches a lot of TBS and NECN. I told her that QVC is available via channel 26-5 on antenna, but still wouldn't budge.

To this day, I still get little to no signal of WUVN-TV (UNI) channel 18. Being at the bottom of Walnut Hill in New Britain is the reason for the problems. It was even worse in the analog days! I'm lucky to get WFSB-TV (CBS) channel 3 most of the time!
post #7098 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
WOW, that is sleazy. Although anyone stupid enough to believe that kind of bull**** deserves to get ripped off!

To me, most deserving is the Comcast installer. He DESERVES serious retraining.
post #7099 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's why my co-worker asked me. He's not up on OTA. That's what cable/ sattilite has done to average consumer. They have no clue about it. He's trying to save money and I had mentioned how many channels I get off an antenna. He was shocked.
post #7100 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That reminds me of the time I had the cable guy at my house because my internet was really really slow... and the cable guy tried telling me that data goes slower in the winter due to the cold temperatures.

Where do they come up with this crap?

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #7101 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's why my co-worker asked me. He's not up on OTA. That's what cable/ sattilite has done to average consumer. They have no clue about it. He's trying to save money and I had mentioned how many channels I get off an antenna. He was shocked.
Well, that's their fault for not Googling it. How many channels? If you're lucky, you can get 4 decent ones, 1 really good one, and a ton of garbage channels...
post #7102 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post
That reminds me of the time I had the cable guy at my house because my internet was really really slow... and the cable guy tried telling me that data goes slower in the winter due to the cold temperatures.

Where do they come up with this crap?
The cable company garage at the end/beginning of the day when techs gather to see what stupid BS they can feed a non technical customers to get out of a service call or not fixing a problem. I'm sure the line of BS they fed you has worked on some customers that are now calling back and the new response will be that the data goes slower due to the heat. The other common BS line is sunspots that happen year round causing pixelation.

Last edited by nyctveng; 07-02-2014 at 07:36 PM.
post #7103 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Every front line employee in most cable companies have financial incentive to upsell. Service calls turn into sales pitches. Calls into call center about slow internet turn into "you need 100 mbps to check email". Top performers usually get some sort of prize/recognition. Many non tech folk fall for this BS unfortunately.
post #7104 of 7124 Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Every front line employee in most cable companies have financial incentive to upsell. Service calls turn into sales pitches. Calls into call center about slow internet turn into "you need 100 mbps to check email". Top performers usually get some sort of prize/recognition. Many non tech folk fall for this BS unfortunately.
Yeah, the things they send out in the mail about what various internet tiers are good for is absurd too. No one needs 25mbps for Skype or gaming, neither of which actually use that much bandwidth. They probably need 25mbps for other things, but not Skype or gaming. The applications seem almost entirely disconnected from reality.
post #7105 of 7124 Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
The other common BS line is sunspots that happen year round causing pixelation.
Well, there's some truth in that the sun will cause outages a couple times a year, but you probably meant literal sunspots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #7106 of 7124 Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfoster View Post
Well, there's some truth in that the sun will cause outages a couple times a year, but you probably meant literal sunspots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage
But not all year! Pretty ballsy to use that excuse though, as it sort of blows up the whole "satellite goes out because of xyz" marketing BS that the cablecos use. That whole line shows how scummy the cablecos can be, since they know their product is less reliable than properly installed DirecTV. Although to be fair, many DirecTV setups aren't installed properly. I have heard a lot of stories of unreliable DirecTV, and I see many installs that don't follow the guidelines, and apparently a lot of uninformed customers blame it on satellite technology, not on a crappy install.
post #7107 of 7124 Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installer Recommendations Fairfield County

I'm moving back to Greenwich from NYC and want an OTA antenna for my roof. I'm on very high ground so hoping it should work well. I'd like to find a knowledgable installer because really, I love my OTA here in NYC. Love the Tablo device for recording, and hate the thought of giving it up and going back to Cablevision. All recommendations appreciated.
post #7108 of 7124 Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM

can't get ABC from west hartford

Only thing preventing me from cutting the cable cord is ABC out of new haven. I have a good $40 directional antenna and only one day was I able to tune in ABC wtnh in new haven from west hartford. I could live without it but a relative can't live with out jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

Anyone have an idea on how or what type of antenna I should get to tune in ABC from west hartford?

I can get ABC springfield, but they don't have the same game shows at night plus with a directional antenna I'd have to turn the antenna in the opposite direction just for that channel. Anyone know a really top of the line omnidirectional antenna to get?
post #7109 of 7124 Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Is the antenna you have able to receive VHF ? Channel 8 is on a VHF frequency and if you have a UHF only antenna you may not be able to receive channel 8. I believe it transmits on VHF 10. What kind of antenna do you have?
post #7110 of 7124 Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post
Is the antenna you have able to receive VHF ? Channel 8 is on a VHF frequency and if you have a UHF only antenna you may not be able to receive channel 8. I believe it transmits on VHF 10. What kind of antenna do you have?
according to the amazon page it is a VHF/UHF antenna. http://www.amazon.com/Esky-Controlle...dp/B00D74GRGM/

I think next time I would like to try a omni/multi directional antenna. know a top of the line one to get or what company makes good ones? I wasn't too impressed with this Esky antenna
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page