Forum Jump: 
post #7111 of 7135 Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasland View Post
according to the amazon page it is a VHF/UHF antenna. http://www.amazon.com/Esky-Controlle...dp/B00D74GRGM/

I think next time I would like to try a omni/multi directional antenna. know a top of the line one to get or what company makes good ones? I wasn't too impressed with this Esky antenna
i'm interested in the following 2 antennas. anyone have any experience with them?

Winegard MS-2002 HDTV Antenna
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-MS-20.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

LAVA OmniPro HD-8008 omni-directional HDTV Antenna
http://www.amazon.com/LAVA-OmniPro-H.../dp/B00EPP5ZSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7135 Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
according to the amazon page it is a VHF/UHF antenna. http://www.amazon.com/Esky-Controlle...dp/B00D74GRGM/

I think next time I would like to try a omni/multi directional antenna. know a top of the line one to get or what company makes good ones? I wasn't too impressed with this Esky antenna

You should plug your location into TV fool and have a look at what that shows in terms of pulling in CH8 from your exact location. As for the antenna, sadly a lot of that is trial and error, but if you have no amp on it, this might be worth a try (buy at Rat Shack and don't make a mess of the package, keep your slip etc.). It may well be you need to spend $90 or so like I did for a deep fringe UHF/VHF and an $20 amp. Also be aware terrain can play a role. From the shoreline, most if not all of us can not pull in Ch3 Hartford because of some hilly terrain in the way and that could be a killer for you on Ch8 also. Unless and until they bulldose that (ha-ha), no antenna available will help unless it is on a 300 ft tower. Do be sure you have your antenna oriented also, as a few degrees can matter. Rotator is of course the ideal on that.
post #7113 of 7135 Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
You should plug your location into TV fool and have a look at what that shows in terms of pulling in CH8 from your exact location. As for the antenna, sadly a lot of that is trial and error, but if you have no amp on it, this might be worth a try (buy at Rat Shack and don't make a mess of the package, keep your slip etc.). It may well be you need to spend $90 or so like I did for a deep fringe UHF/VHF and an $20 amp. Also be aware terrain can play a role. From the shoreline, most if not all of us can not pull in Ch3 Hartford because of some hilly terrain in the way and that could be a killer for you on Ch8 also. Unless and until they bulldose that (ha-ha), no antenna available will help unless it is on a 300 ft tower. Do be sure you have your antenna oriented also, as a few degrees can matter. Rotator is of course the ideal on that.
can you link the antenna and amp you're talking about?
post #7114 of 7135 Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
can you link the antenna and amp you're talking about?
Boy, it was quite a while back, but I know the brand was Antennacraft for the antenna. Not sure about the amp, but I think it was something like a 20 db gain. It is powered so one end gets hooked into the coax at the TV and right there needs to get AC also. Other part goes on the antenna. The RS dealer ought to be able to show you all this and, again, if you don't mess up the packing too bad and keep your slips, you can test and take back if NG. I did not buy the deepest fringe antenna and in fact it is installed in the attic of my garage as we do not like the look outdoors and only use it as emergency back up to cable. Can you perhaps walk your neighborhood and see if someone has an antenna up and ask if they pull CH8? A little gutsy, but might help.
post #7115 of 7135 Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's where I'm at. My son lives in Stratford. No Cable. This is on the house with amp.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...ce=google_base
Came with the house and they don't want cable. NYC stations with CH 8 coming in from the back, probably due to location.Well it quit. Probably the amp. On the peak of a colonial. Son says I'm too old, perhaps true, and he doesn't like heights. I ordered this
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur...ds=rca+antenna
Tried it a home, south Wethersfield, replacing a double bow tie. The bow tie gave me locals plus Springfield, no CH 8. The RCA picked up CH 8 from the side (VHF) which I never got before. No CH 59 which I suspect is on the same tower. My antenna location about 1.5 feet above gutter on a ranch. So off to Stratford. Mounted on an old satellite mount on the chimney. Height about second floor level. Fair reception. 8 OK off the back, probably due to location. Picked up CH 7 (ABC) since this antenna has VHF. Most other channels OK but CH 4 (NBC) in and out. Found out they are on Empire State building as is CH 2, but with less power. Will try to get CH4 solid with this.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R-...rca+amplifrier

Ordered today.
So you see it's not too cut and dried. If this works out at my son's I plan on getting the RCA antenna for myself. I have cable but use the antenna for emergencies and CH 57 Springfield, which cable does not have in HD, and I like to fool around with this stuff. Good luck.

Last edited by VerticalScope; 08-28-2014 at 07:45 AM.
post #7116 of 7135 Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Can someone explain. In my above post about antennas/amplifiers I had posted links to where I got the antenna and amp. The links have changed addresses, both products were from Amazon. WHAT'S UP. Any ideas ? When I look at the post here as I reply, from the posts that are shown, links are as posted, looking on my tablet the links have been replaced. Very weird. This http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur...ds=rca+antenna became this

http://rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wayfair.com%2FVoxx-Intl-Audiovox-Outdoor-Optimized-Digital-Antenna-ANT751R-L996-K~VOXI1002.html%3Frefid%3DBR49-VOXI1002&mid=175917&cat_id=11510905&prod_id=567210 5509&pos=0&rf=af1&b_id=17&bamt=a5fedf14fd8fec0d&pp r

Help
Just checked the second link change. My link to an amplifier on Amazon is now a link to a memory module at Serversupply.com

Links fixed. Thank you AVS.

Last edited by 100/40; 09-03-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Problem resolved
post #7117 of 7135 Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Setup

I live in Trumbull, CT.

I have this antenna installed inside my attic.
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...rds=HD+Antenna

I have this amp installed.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplif...r+Internet+AMP

Pick up CBS, NBC, FOX out of NY with strong signal and comes in crystal clear.

Pick up ABC out of New York and signal is moderate, good picture most of the time with occasional hiccup.

Pick up ABC (WTNH) out of New Haven with strong signal and comes in crystal clear.

I don't get the CW (PIX 11) which is VHF (low power too).

In total, I get 25 channels which I would consider viewable (English and quality picture) but the major networks is all I'm really interested in. The amp made a big difference for me.

I have the antenna coax cable line (out of the amp) feeding into this.
(link not working - search Amazon for "SiliconDust HDHomeRun PLUS 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP HD Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDTC-2US")

That connects with CAT5E Ethernet cable to an older PC running Windows Vista (believe it or not) and Microsoft Media Center. HDMI out of the PC to my Home Theatre receiver which outputs to my TV. Media Center acts as my DVR, TV Guide listing, and gives me the ability to pause live TV.

I use this as a Windows Media Center remote control (I actually only use the IR receiver from this because of the Logitech 650).
http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-...ortek+vrc-1100

I have my TV, Home Theatre receiver, Windows Media Center remote, and Roku all setup in a Logitech 650 remote control
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...s=logitech+650

I have the TV mounted on a wall in the Family room. The home theater receiver, Roku, and HD Homerun are in my basement. PC is in the family room but it could live in the basement as well. All my components are out of sight (I like clean looks). I use this device to transmit the IR signal from the Logitech 650 to the components in my basement.'
(link not working - search Amazon for "X10 Powermid PM5900 Remote Control Extender Kit - Includes a Transmitter and Receiver")

For any type of cabling, keystones, connectors use this place. Quality and price are hard to beat.
http://www.monoprice.com

Last edited by TheWave; 08-27-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #7118 of 7135 Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post
Can someone explain. In my above post about antennas/amplifiers I had posted links to where I got the antenna and amp. The links have changed addresses, both products were from Amazon. WHAT'S UP. Any ideas ?
When i click on the links using safari on my mac mini they go direct to your amazon pages. depending on what device or browser your using it may be a script that's added to make you go to another address. this is probably done so the owners of this site can make some ad revenue by redirecting you to something else
post #7119 of 7135 Old 09-30-2014, 10:12 AM

channel 30

anyone currently getting channel 30 NBC via OTA? I decided to scan all my channels sunday night so I could watch the cowboys/saints game. Absolutely nothing from channel 30 came in, even though all the other channels came in clear. I live in WHTFD and used to never have a problem getting 30. Did they shut it down?
post #7120 of 7135 Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
anyone currently getting channel 30 NBC via OTA? I decided to scan all my channels sunday night so I could watch the cowboys/saints game. Absolutely nothing from channel 30 came in, even though all the other channels came in clear. I live in WHTFD and used to never have a problem getting 30. Did they shut it down?

Maybe no help but on tonight, Monday.
post #7121 of 7135 Old 11-05-2014, 02:54 PM

FYI,

CPTV channel change.

Former CPTV WEDY New Haven, CT VHF DT6 PSIP 65-1, 65-2 and 65-3 has ceased operation.

New CPTV WEDY New Haven, CT UHF DT41 PSIP 65-1, 65-2 and 65-3 has now begun over-the-air program testing today and will remain on-the-air over-night tonight, Wednesday November 5, 2014.

Installation finish up and testing will continue in morning.

Reception reports will be appreciated.

Enjoy,

Z

Z
post #7122 of 7135 Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Either it wasn't on or I won't get enough signal to lock it here in New Britain's south end. It seemed to hesitate when it tuned past channel 41 though. Will WEDY-TV still be transmitting from East Rock Park in New Haven? Never once did I get a blip of channel 65 in the analog days.
post #7123 of 7135 Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
Either it wasn't on or I won't get enough signal to lock it here in New Britain's south end. It seemed to hesitate when it tuned past channel 41 though. Will WEDY-TV still be transmitting from East Rock Park in New Haven? Never once did I get a blip of channel 65 in the analog days.
Might be blocked by Sleeping Giant but, otherwise, it's a 40 KW ERP signal and you should get it. Try manually entering channel 41. As a reference, aim at WTNH. WEDY is a few degrees east.

Same location, same height, much more power.

Last edited by mdodge; 11-06-2014 at 08:35 AM.
post #7124 of 7135 Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 AM

I entered 41-1 manually. The signal bars in the corner didn't budge. I also did a new channel scan. The tuner picked up WCTX-TV (MY) on digital channel 39 (legacy 59) as usual. It hesitated slightly at channel 41, then moved on to pick up WEDH-TV (PBS) on digital channel 45 (legacy 24) as usual. As for Sleeping Giant State Park, it looks to be north of Hamden and southwest of Wallingford. I've never been to that place (Sleeping Giant).
post #7125 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Back in aug I was leaving comments about getting channel 8 from west hartford. we never could and the family and I got frustrated. we also needed internet, so we decided in the end of Aug to get comcast. tv & internet for 69.99. after fees and taxes it was $80 per month. well now its late dec and just the other day I canceled all of comcast services. I don't want to type the whole story and details, but I got so sick of dealing with their bad customer service that consisted of lies, deception & refusal to to apologize and admit their mistakes, I ordered them to cancel everything, and brought back their equipment fast.

Now I'm back to using an antenna, and the thought of having no more comcast bill feels like a xmas present. One problem, still can't get channel 8 from west hartford. I can live without it, but I have a relative who loves jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do.
post #7126 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Back in aug I was leaving comments about getting channel 8 from west hartford. we never could and the family and I got frustrated. we also needed internet, so we decided in the end of Aug to get comcast. tv & internet for 69.99. after fees and taxes it was $80 per month. well now its late dec and just the other day I canceled all of comcast services. I don't want to type the whole story and details, but I got so sick of dealing with their bad customer service that consisted of lies, deception & refusal to to apologize and admit their mistakes, I ordered them to cancel everything, and brought back their equipment fast.

Now I'm back to using an antenna, and the thought of having no more comcast bill feels like a xmas present. One problem, still can't get channel 8 from west hartford. I can live without it, but I have a relative who loves jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

What antenna and what amp and where do you have it located? (roof, attic etc.)
post #7127 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are on WWLP out of Springfield. Surely you can pick it up from where you are.

Chip
post #7128 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
What antenna and what amp and where do you have it located? (roof, attic etc.)

I've tried everything from cheap indoor antennas with & without amps all the way to a $50 directional antenna pointed toward new have.

In the past I have pointed it at springfield and i believe i got an ABC & FOX station. the problems were, since it was pointed in that direction I lost many other stations in the other direction. Also If i remember right, jeopardy and WOF were not on at the same times as ABC WTNH, which i think was a big deal for my relative.

I'm going to spend the next couple of days experimenting again with what I got.
post #7129 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've tried everything from cheap indoor antennas with & without amps all the way to a $50 directional antenna pointed toward new have.

In the past I have pointed it at springfield and i believe i got an ABC & FOX station. the problems were, since it was pointed in that direction I lost many other stations in the other direction. Also If i remember right, jeopardy and WOF were not on at the same times as ABC WTNH, which i think was a big deal for my relative.

I'm going to spend the next couple of days experimenting again with what I got.
If you are really going to have a "cable divorce", you may find happiness only with a 16' $100-$150 antenna, amp and rotator, all up on the roof, otherwise you will not maximize your reception potential. Sorry for the bad news. But sure, try some experimenting with what you have first.

Last edited by sgbroimp; Yesterday at 02:23 PM. Reason: Addition
post #7130 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM

its a shame i don't speak spanish. I get 5 of those channels that look great
post #7131 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

lucasland, did you see my post about WWLP?

Chip
post #7132 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post
lucasland, did you see my post about WWLP?
yes, thanks but i don't pick up anything from springfield. in the past there were a few times I would pick up channel 40 but thats it
post #7133 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes, thanks but i don't pick up anything from springfield. in the past there were a few times I would pick up channel 40 but thats it
I'm surprised. My sister lives in Portland and she picks it up quite well, and she is 35 miles from the transmitter. You are only about 20 miles. It's on channel 11, so you would need an antenna that gets high VHF well.

Chip
post #7134 of 7135 Unread Yesterday, 07:43 PM

I live in New Britain's south end and have never once received a blip of digital from Springfield. It's not for my indoor antenna lacking VHF, since I get WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 just fine (knowing their digital is on channel 10).
post #7135 of 7135 Unread Today, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
I live in New Britain's south end and have never once received a blip of digital from Springfield. It's not for my indoor antenna lacking VHF, since I get WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 just fine (knowing their digital is on channel 10).
There's your answer right there. An indoor antenna probably isn't good enough.

Chip
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page