Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I have been recording WFSB games (Comcast, not antenna) from time to time to read the bit rate. Often around 12 which I am told is really low. ESPN 17-18. One time a game was broadcast on both ABC and ESPN simultaneously so I recorded and measured both. Neither was high but ESPN was about 25% better bit rate. Not sure why the locals can't put out any quality signals, but something is really, really wrong with them. I go up to the stix in VT and they even have way better.
Too many subchannels. ESPN requires a certain bitrate by contract, few other channels have the leverage, and if all channels did that, we'd just have fewer HD channels, as Comcast isn't willing to invest in the TV side of their network to use SDV and rebuild plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Too many subchannels. ESPN requires a certain bitrate by contract, few other channels have the leverage, and if all channels did that, we'd just have fewer HD channels, as Comcast isn't willing to invest in the TV side of their network to use SDV and rebuild plants.
The problem may start further up the line. Another poster has complained that OTA signal for WFSB is full of junk also,so this may be a station or it's network feed problem.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
Do you mean you went up to Vermont and checked what their stations offered with picture quality?

Are you able to see these same numbers when checking the station's over-the-air signal as well?
No, in Vermont I just did an eyeball test about 3 feet away from set. Up there clear as a bell, my signal here just falls apart at that distance, blurry etc.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The problem may start further up the line. Another poster has complained that OTA signal for WFSB is full of junk also,so this may be a station or it's network feed problem.
They either dropped a subchannel or improved their encoding, so it went from bad to noticeably less bad but still bad. I'm on Comcast, but they are passing through bit for bit, re-modulating 2 ATSC-8VSB channels to one ATSC-QAM channel.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Haven/New London stations in Rocky Hill

Hi guys, new to the OTA scene and trying to figure out what's best here...

I'm in a first floor condo (converted apartment) in Rocky Hill close to Wethersfield, so far I've tried two indoor antennas that are listed as having a 50 mile range with just about the same results. WFSB, WVIT, WEDH, WCCT, WTIC and WUVN come in very well and look great however I've had no luck with WTNH, WHPX or WCTX.

Am I pretty much out of luck with picking up the New Haven and New London stations? Not a deal breaker but I don't think I need a 50 mile antenna if there's no real hope of picking those up.

thanks!
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Channel 8 (ABC) and 59 (MY) both transmit from Madmere Mountain in Hamden. I actually get channel 26 (ION) better than 18 (UNI)...and I'm in New Britain. I had to find a "sweet spot" to make channel 8 come in here. The fact they stayed on VHF (channel 10) doesn't really help.

Anything from Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington (20, 24, 30 and 61) is automatic for me. I'm only about 4.5 miles from those two gigantic towers with the white blinkers.

Have you tried for Springfield, MA at all? The closest of their stations is WWLP-TV (NBC) channel 22, which is really on channel 11. They transmit from Provin Mountain in Agawam, MA.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 AM

Interesting, Univision 18 comes in perfect for me.

Would a rabbit ears style antenna with both the UHF and VHF rods have a better chance of picking up WTNH then? Or would it be too far away for a simple indoor one like that?

I don't usually watch anything on ABC or MyNetwork but it would be nice to have the option if possible. I did watch "The Flash" from WCCT OTA last night and it was perfect
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You're most likely not going to get WTNH with a UHF antenna. Try an antenna with both, or a VHF antenna and a combiner.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM

I highly doubt WTNH-TV channel 8 would do it, but having WCTX-TV (MY) channel 59 as a WTNH subchannel would be nice. That'd be better than the SD channel presently wasting bandwidth on channel 8-3. I've had no luck getting them with any indoor antenna in my second floor living room or old third floor bedroom. A roof antenna isn't happening here, for those who may ask.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WTXX-TV Springfield Now Digital

A new service appeared today. The former analog low-power station in Springfield, Massachusetts has converted to digital on Channel 34. It is simulcasting the same programming that is on WRNT, Channel 48 in Hartford (the AMGTV network). The only difference is that WRNT has an ID bug of a drawing of a man wearing a fedora. The ID stays on the screen in the lower right corner. WTXX is bug-free (for now).

The contour map on the FCC website shows that WTXX covers a larger area now than it did when it was analog. It reaches south to Hartford, east to Vernon, and west beyond Simsbury. The FCC site indicates that Channel 34 is broadcasting at the maximum level allowed for low-power stations. My tuner assigns it a signal strength of 69, while WRNT in Hartford has a signal strength of 63. At these levels the picture does not break up, but the video on both channels lacks sharpness.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM

No dice on a rescan just now in New Britain's south end. I would occasionally get a very weak signal of theirs with the analog. Then again, I consider myself lucky if channel 59 (MY) from New Haven comes in!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Had my first Tropospheric reception early this morning between 4 and 6AM.

I have a 4 bay whisker antenna I made for fun that's aimed at a distant hill.
My location is not ideal, low elevation, hills to the sides and tall trees to my south but I get pretty good bounced signals off this one hill, for now at least.

The channels I received are all in the negative zone on my TVFool list. I've detected weak signal on some but never a picture.

WPXQ 17 ION Rhode Island - 73 miles distance
WHPX 26 ION - 59 miles
WZME 42 - 43 miles
WCTX 39 - 39 miles Never been able to get a lock on this though I get weak signal.

I also got weak signal but no lock on VHF 9 which I think is WEDN PBS 55 miles away.
and WFTY 23 - 76 miles away on Long Island
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM

You're correct about WEDN-TV of Norwich using channel 9. WPXQ-TV (ION) channel 69 of Block Island/Providence uses channel 17 for their digital. WHPX-TV of New London transmits from Montville, if that helps.

I finally got a blip from Springfield/Holyoke with digital on Tuesday. WGGB-TV (ABC) channel 40 of Springfield popped in during the early evening. My LG DVD/VCR combo picked up the signal, while my older Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV did not. Doesn't WGGB-TV use channel 22 for their digital signal? (I still haven't received anything from WWLP or WGBY, however.)
terminal_man likes this.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 PM

WWLP uses 22 on air while WGBY 57 is located on real channel 22. At least WGGB 40 is truly on channel 40.

I can pull in WWLP with a crude home built Yagi while the other 2 channels have been too weak for me to get a lock on.

There was more Tropo activity late Wed/early Thurs after midnight.
Same channels as before came and went but I picked up weak signals on a bunch of others including 12,13,19,30,34,41,50.

WNAC(12) and WPRI(13) share the same tower in Rehomoth Mass. just outside Providence,RI with WJAR(50) also nearby.

Coverage maps of WLVI (19) and WBZ (30) show stray signal falling just short of here so I think it was signal from those stations too.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 PM

My older Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV picked up a weak signal of WGGB-TV for the first time tonight. I'm not sure of the exact mileage from New Britain's south end to Mount Tom in Holyoke, MA. I doubt they increased their signal at all. I still have received absolutely nothing from either WWLP or WGBY to this day.

The screen caps are from the tuner of my LG DVD/VCR combo. It's slightly newer than the TV and has better sensitivity than the combo does. I have it hooked via an HDMI cable. It full-screens the picture with only minimal distortion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00867.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1398730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00869.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1398738  

Last edited by KEVINL71; 04-22-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 PM

There must have been some Tropo happening because WZME came through from 10:45PM to midnight with weak signal on a few others.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Late Saturday I finally got a lock on WFTY-67(channel 23) It has a GetTV sub on an otherwise Spanish station.
76 miles to the tower on Long Island.
Like most of these channels, just getting a lock is more rewarding than whatever content they show though it was also fun watching an old episode of Combat on WZME.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WFTY.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1421242  
Old 05-03-2016, 06:29 PM

I've picked that station a time or two here in New Britain. It first displayed on my TV as "23-1" instead of "67-1".
Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 PM

This is odd. Just after midnight, channels 20, 24, 61 knocked off the air. No signal OTA or on DISH.

Looks like all 3 channels located on the same tower.

--

Ok, all back after roughly 3 hours.

Last edited by terminal_man; 06-04-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:10 AM

Maybe they went off for transmitter maintenance?

Yes, channels 20, 24 and 61 are all on the slightly taller tower of the two in Farmington. The other tower is for WVIT-TV (NBC) channel 30.
terminal_man likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
No, in Vermont I just did an eyeball test about 3 feet away from set. Up there clear as a bell, my signal here just falls apart at that distance, blurry etc.
What networks are you comparing VT locals to? I have both Boston and VT and CBS WCAX and NBC WNNE are as good as WBZ and WHDH but Fox WFFF and ABC WVNY look like garbage compared to WFXT and WMUR/WCVB.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
What networks are you comparing VT locals to? I have both Boston and VT and CBS WCAX and NBC WNNE are as good as WBZ and WHDH but Fox WFFF and ABC WVNY look like garbage compared to WFXT and WMUR/WCVB.
CBS and NBC into Clinton, CT, a very limited bandwidth system. The stations are our of Hartford/NH area. Seeing bitrates of under 12. Just lousy to look at most of the time. ESPN etc, much better.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
GetTV and ESCAPE on Cheshire/South Meriden Hill

I don't know if these are new or for some reason I just started noticing, but Channels 67.3 (GetTV) and 67.4 (ESCAPE) from Smithtown, NY (Long Island) have been coming in strong and consistently for a few weeks now on my Tivo.

No guide data unfortunately. If they keep strong for awhile I'll put in a request, but with Rovi now handling the Tivo guide data I'm not sure they'll do anything.

Unfortunately my small rooftop antenna pointing South has, just the last few days, pretty much lost 43.1 (Heroes & Icons), 43.2 (The Works) and 43.3 (Comet) from Bridgeport, which had been coming in well for a very long time. Hoping this is just something unusual in the weather or temporary transmitter issues. Guide data has aways been good for this group on Tivo.

Last edited by Redux; 06-14-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixed mistype Town name
Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

WFTY-TV channel 67 is licensed to Smithtown, NY. It's popped in a time or two here in New Britain, depending on how I had my indoor antenna point, in my attempts to get a stable signal of channel 8.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
20, 24, 61 Off Again

As happened about a month ago, 20, 24 and 61 have gone missing again tonight. Nobody watches TV after 11 pm in Connecticut, so no harm.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
As happened about a month ago, 20, 24 and 61 have gone missing again tonight. Nobody watches TV after 11 pm in Connecticut, so no harm.
A quick check shows them to all broadcast from the same tower, so it may be maintenance work being done. That's usually scheduled in the early morning hours.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 PM

The last few nights WVIT has been pre-empting Cozi-TV's programming to run Steve Harvey instead of Quantum Leap at 1AM followed by Access Live instead of Simon & Simon. Probably something to do with the Olympics on the main channel but its damn ridiculous.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM

There was a bunch of Tropo activity last night coming from Boston.

A lot of stations from the CBS Tower. Their channel 20 WCVB was strong enough to interfere and cause dropouts on WCCT.

Most were too weak to get a lock but I did manage to snag WBZ-4 (channel 30) for a few seconds which is about 95 miles away. A flash of video and program guide showing their sub-channel called "Decades" that was airing the old TV movie Helter Skelter.

I counted 11 stations that had weak signal that are normally dead. Really wish we could still get a trace of snowy picture or sound like the analog days.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Around last Thursday, Hartford's WRNT moved from channel 48 to channel 32. The station's website confirms the new channel number. Channel 48 is now a black screen. Here's the owner's link:

http://www.intriguemusic.com/info
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1456114184555.png
Views:	12
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1600985   Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	1601009  
Old Today, 03:25 PM

Channel 3, WFSB, CBS is now choppy, breaking up often I'm in Simsbury and a few weeks ago I put up a Winegard Free Vision Model FVHD30H on the north side of my house facing north at about the gutter level on a 2 story house. I get great reception of the MA stations NBC 22, PBS on 57, ABC on 40.1 and FOX on 40.2. Attached is the listing of the local stations. It shows Channel 3 is the closest to my location but about 180 degrees opposite.

Does this antenna do poorly for stations on the back side?

The antenna is at the east corner. Should I So, should I try to turn it to face more towards the east?

Any other ideas?

This is my first try at "cutting the cord".

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OTA Aug 2016 Radar-Digital2.png
Views:	2
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1628321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement