Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7231 of 7235 Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Hello Paul,
Your observation is interesting as all season long I have watched WFSB NFL Games on Comcast cable and see junk in the picture. Can you describe what you are seeing. Is it for instance kind of a Venetian blind effect? Does the field grass look all blurred, especially when the camera moves?
I do see fuzzy grass until the picture settles. The confetti was just yellow fuzz. Mostly it looks bit starved. I believe it's called macroblock.
I can see the same thing during the Price is Right. Again there's a lot of high contrast and fast motion.
I turned off all the noise reduction and other video enhancement settings too.
Unfortunately none of my TVs show the bit rate they're receiving.

It still beats spending $5,000 for a game ticket and dealing with all the security hassles.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7235 Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recorded Super Bowl L via antenna. I also noticed the picture faults you mentioned. Should they drop channel 3-4 and make their Fairfield County feed cable-only? Take that bandwidth and put it back on channel 3-1.

Also, is anybody else getting a blank black screen with WTNH-TV channel 8-2 (Bounce) and 8-3 (WTNH-SD, which is a huge waste anyways)?
post #7233 of 7235 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldow View Post
I do see fuzzy grass until the picture settles. The confetti was just yellow fuzz. Mostly it looks bit starved. I believe it's called macroblock.
I can see the same thing during the Price is Right. Again there's a lot of high contrast and fast motion.
I turned off all the noise reduction and other video enhancement settings too.
Unfortunately none of my TVs show the bit rate they're receiving.

It still beats spending $5,000 for a game ticket and dealing with all the security hassles.
I have been recording WFSB games (Comcast, not antenna) from time to time to read the bit rate. Often around 12 which I am told is really low. ESPN 17-18. One time a game was broadcast on both ABC and ESPN simultaneously so I recorded and measured both. Neither was high but ESPN was about 25% better bit rate. Not sure why the locals can't put out any quality signals, but something is really, really wrong with them. I go up to the stix in VT and they even have way better.
post #7234 of 7235 Old Today, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you mean you went up to Vermont and checked what their stations offered with picture quality?

Are you able to see these same numbers when checking the station's over-the-air signal as well?
post #7235 of 7235 Old Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I have been recording WFSB games (Comcast, not antenna) from time to time to read the bit rate. Often around 12 which I am told is really low. ESPN 17-18. One time a game was broadcast on both ABC and ESPN simultaneously so I recorded and measured both. Neither was high but ESPN was about 25% better bit rate. Not sure why the locals can't put out any quality signals, but something is really, really wrong with them. I go up to the stix in VT and they even have way better.
Too many subchannels. ESPN requires a certain bitrate by contract, few other channels have the leverage, and if all channels did that, we'd just have fewer HD channels, as Comcast isn't willing to invest in the TV side of their network to use SDV and rebuild plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception