Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #7261 of 7286 Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
update The plot thickens Channel 3 came in perfectly this morning from 7 to 9:30 AM when I the house. But now at 1:28 PM back to freezing and "no signal" briefly like yesterday afternoon..

Channel 3, WFSB, CBS is now choppy, breaking up often.
I'm in Simsbury and a few weeks ago I put up a Winegard Free Vision Model FVHD30H on the north side of my house facing north at about the gutter level on a 2 story house. I get great reception of the MA stations NBC 22, PBS on 57, ABC on 40.1 and FOX on 40.2. Attached is the listing of the local stations. It shows Channel 3 is the closest to my location but about 180 degrees opposite.

Does this antenna do poorly for stations on the back side?

The antenna is at the east corner. Should I try to turn it to face more towards the east?

Any other ideas?

Let me know if I should move this to the technical forum http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

This is my first try at "cutting the cord".

Thanks
All stations are ok now that I turned the antenna 180 degrees. I now even get Channel 8 out of New Haven (Hamden).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7286 Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You should also be getting channel 59 (MY), since they transmit from the same area as channel 8...Madmere Mountain in Hamden.

Did your reception of the Springfield, MA stations change much? I don't get them here in New Britain...although I did get channel 40 to pop in a time or two in either late spring or early summer.
post #7263 of 7286 Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 AM

KEVINL,

I do not get 59.

The stations from MA seem to be coming in very good. But as I type this at 9:15 am Channel 30, NBC here in CT is breaking up a little. And over on Highdef I was told to wait to see how good my reception is in bad weather. So maybe I'm not "all set".
post #7264 of 7286 Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 AM

Channel 30 breaking up? WOW! Simsbury isn't that far from Rattlesnake Mountain in Farmington! My New Britain address gets listed as 4.5 miles from their site. If I don't get them, CW 20, PBS 24 and FOX 61, I'm in some serious doo-doo!

Sometimes, in my struggles to get channel ABC 8 to come in stable, I'll get a blip of WEDN-TV (PBS) channel 53 from Norwich. They use VHF channel 9, of course.

As for matching stations like WEDH and WEDN, I often get WPXQ-TV (ION) channel 69 from Block Island/Providence. Of course it's the exact same thing as channel 26 of New London, minus the tiny print top-of-hour legal ID.
post #7265 of 7286 Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
Around last Thursday, Hartford's WRNT moved from channel 48 to channel 32. The station's website confirms the new channel number. Channel 48 is now a black screen. Here's the owner's link:

http://www.intriguemusic.com/info
Has anyone been ale to receive real channel 32 ? I have a variable attenuator to suppress channel 33 (virtual 3-1 through 3-4), which might be affecting RC32 as well.

@ fred9 and at least one other recent poster, I think you are suffering from too much signal. When this happens you will lose all but the strongest one or two signals. Try pointing your antenna away from nearby towers, and if you have the capability in your TV check your signal to noise ratio for each channel.
post #7266 of 7286 Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 AM

Not seeing anything from these channels in the south end of New Britain. Of course I'm using an indoor antenna on the second flood, near the bottom of Walnut Hill.
post #7267 of 7286 Old 09-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAzak View Post
Has anyone been able to receive the real channel 32?

My Channel Master off-air tuner/DVR automatically found this channel on August 11th and added it to the tuner's channel line-up. I'm in East Windsor with an indoor antenna that is next to a west-facing window on the second floor, but the antenna is facing northeast so that I can receive the Springfield PBS station in addition to most of the Connecticut stations.

The new owner of WRNT and WTXX also represents music artists. The primary channel is running a promo that it will soon be showing music videos in the morning along with weather forecasts. WRNT has already shown the first episode of a program done in Hartford (possibly in Bushnell Park) that features a psychic medium giving readings to people who walk up to her booth. The show is called "The Pop-Up Psychic". Another ongoing local show, "Just Eat It", visits Hartford restaurants. These programs look like that they have been produced in HD, but because channel 32 is broadcast in 480i, the shows are in standard definition with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

When these local shows aren't on, the station shows the AMGTV network - but then the audio is out of sync and the picture is not as sharp as it could be. The channel runs some well-produced top-of-the-hour computer animated station identifications. These IDs show the call letters and Hartford; no channel number is indicated.

On the secondary channel, 32-2, there is a network aimed toward natives of India - the DIYA network. There is no information in the electronic program guide for WRNT, so programs can't be time-shifted easily with the off-air DVR. In addition to the Hartford and Springfield stations, the company also owns a station in Providence, Rhode Island - WCRN, channel 25.1.

Here are the artists that Intrigue Music represents: http://www.intriguemusic.com/management/.

The Intrigue Group has worked with these artists: http://www.intriguemusic.com/publishing/.

WRNT on Facebook: http://facebook.com/IntrigueTV/.

The station is at 6 Central Row in Hartford. It broadcasts from the WCCC radio station tower on Albany Avenue in West Hartford, and the Springfield station broadcasts from the same tower that Meredith's WSHM (CBS 3) transmits from (in Wilbraham).
post #7268 of 7286 Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbd5fd2db729

Hi. I am in Danbury, CT. I get channels 20 (20.1) WCCT, 35 (30.1) WVIT, 42 (43.1) WZME clear all the time with no problems at all.

I have a LG 4K TV that is on a TV stand with swivel. If I move the TV swivel left or right, some times channels 33 (3.1) WFSB, 45 (24.1) WEDH, 49 (49.1) WEDW, and 31 (61.1) WTIC comes and goes. I have a Mohu Leaf Ultimate indoor antenna and Winegard 20 db amplifier.

I don't get channel 10 (8.1) WTNH at all. Any suggestions on getting the channels that comes and goes all the time? OR even WTNH? Thanks

Last edited by prashp1; 09-24-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #7269 of 7286 Old 09-24-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashp1 View Post
Hi. I am in Danbury, CT. I get channel 20 WCCT, 30 WVIT, 43 WZME clear all the time.

I have a TV that is on a swivel. If I move the TV left or right, some times channel 3 WFSB, 24 WEDH, 49 WEDW, and 61 WTIC comes and goes. I have a Mohu Leaf Ultimate indoor antenna and Winegard 20 db amplifier.

I don't get channel 8 WTNH at all. Any suggestions on getting the channels that comes and goes all the time? OR even WTNH? Thanks

Channels 20, 24, and 61 are on the same tower in Farmington, so I'm not sure why you are able to receive only WCCT. Channel 3's tower is in Avon and Channel 30 has its own tower in Farmington.

The gomohu website says that the Leaf antennas are multi-directional - able to pick up signals from all directions. But Channel 8 is VHF while the other stations are UHF. I looked at the FAQ section of www.gomohu.com and it mentioned that their antennas work really well with UHF, but some VHF signals are elusive. The Leaf Metro and the Leaf 30 may pick up a VHF station if it's in a 10 mile range from your residence. The Leaf 50 may pick up a VHF station if it's in a 20 mile range. According to www.distance-cities.com, the distance from Danbury to Hamden (where Channel 8's tower is located) is around 28 miles.

If you submit your street address and zip code to support@gomohu.com, they will do a detailed analysis of the stations that you should be able to receive with the Leaf antenna. They will help you trouble shoot reception problems. You can also phone them Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM at 855-446-6648. This information comes from their website. I hope this will help you.
post #7270 of 7286 Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 PM

How is your reception of either WEDW-TV (PBS) channel 49 of Bridgeport or WCTX-TV (MY) channel 59 of New Haven? I think channel 49 transmits from Booth Hill in Trumbull while channel 59 is on Madmere Mountain in Hamden with WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8.

Any luck with WTBY-TV (TBN) channel 54 of Poughkeepsie, NY? I got that and grand total of once during the analog days in New Britain.
post #7271 of 7286 Old 10-19-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
WVIT's OTA signal was out for a good chunk of the afternoon.
Now that it's back I've noticed a new placeholder for sub-channel (30.3) There's currently nothing on it.
post #7272 of 7286 Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM

Exclamation

EXITOS? I thought maybe they could relay Telemundo on that channel, since they're an O&O. Ah well! (I'm also getting just a black screen in New Britain.)

post #7273 of 7286 Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal_man View Post
WVIT's OTA signal was out for a good chunk of the afternoon.
Now that it's back I've noticed a new placeholder for sub-channel (30.3) There's currently nothing on it.
Great. More compression on OTA stations.
post #7274 of 7286 Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
EXITOS? I thought maybe they could relay Telemundo on that channel, since they're an O&O. Ah well! (I'm also getting just a black screen in New Britain.)

Still no picture but now seeing some guide info.

Had to look it up. I'd never heard of TeleXitos before.
So they run American shows dubbed into Spanish?
Well that's a bummer or potentially hilarious since they do show the 60's Batman.
post #7275 of 7286 Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal_man View Post
Still no picture but now seeing some guide info.

Had to look it up. I'd never heard of TeleXitos before.
So they run American shows dubbed into Spanish?
Well that's a bummer or potentially hilarious since they do show the 60's Batman.
There is a scroll going across the screen now (10:04 AM on 10/20/16) stating their over the air signal will be going off the air for some maintenance on their tower. Says most cable and satellite customers will not notice any interruption.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #7276 of 7286 Old 10-20-2016, 12:30 PM

Still seeing that scroll on the screen at 2:30 PM. Channel 30-3 is still blank.

WAIT...

Just went off now at 2:30 PM.
post #7277 of 7286 Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Just checked and EXITOS/TELEXITOS is now up and running.
post #7278 of 7286 Old 10-22-2016, 07:30 AM

And it's already something that I won't be watching. Ah well! I still think putting Telemundo here would've made more sense. It would've vastly improved the reach of the low-power digital station (channel 50?) that I don't get now. Yes, I realize that a different company owns that station. (I don't receive Telemundo here in New Britain's south end and Univision on channel 18 cuts in and out.)

Does Comcast/NBC-Universal own Telemundo outright or is it just an agreement to operate the network?
post #7279 of 7286 Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
NBC does own Telemundo.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7280 of 7286 Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Is the wind causing reception issues for anyone else over-the-air on this Sunday afternoon? I'm in New Britain with an indoor antenna on the second floor. Despite being about 4.5 miles from Rattlesnake Mountain, WTIC-TV (FOX) channel 61 keeps cutting out. It's nearly the same with WFSB-TV (CBS) channel 3. I'm flipping between the two with football and it's quite annoying. Even WEDH-TV (PBS) channel 24 is dropping here and there...and that's usually my strongest signal!

As for WVIT-TV channel 30-3, I feel that this new Telexitos station is a waste of bandwidth.
post #7281 of 7286 Old 10-28-2016, 06:21 PM

I get dropouts all the time when it's windy but I'm just about surrounded by tall leafy trees and hills and the stations are all 2edge, perfect for multi-path. I wonder if the only people who don't experience dropouts on windy days are those with direct LOS to the towers.

Agree about 30-3. Me-TV would be nice but slim chance of that happening.

Quote:
Is the wind causing reception issues for anyone else over-the-air on this Sunday afternoon? I'm in New Britain with an indoor antenna on the second floor. Despite being about 4.5 miles from Rattlesnake Mountain, WTIC-TV (FOX) channel 61 keeps cutting out. It's nearly the same with WFSB-TV (CBS) channel 3. I'm flipping between the two with football and it's quite annoying. Even WEDH-TV (PBS) channel 24 is dropping here and there...and that's usually my strongest signal!

As for WVIT-TV channel 30-3, I feel that this new Telexitos station is a waste of bandwidth.
post #7282 of 7286 Old 11-06-2016, 10:31 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Kevin, I'm close to CCSU and get dropouts on all the local channels intermittently and it is not wind related. It has been happening every day for around 5 years since I started using OTA. I think there is RF interference but I wouldn't think our locations would be affected by the same RFI source. Maybe they are not the same issue. I've used three different TVs/tuners and 2 different antennas and cables. I'm researching spectrum analyzers and directional antennas to investigate this as it is getting worse and very annoying.
KEVINL71 likes this.
post #7283 of 7286 Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 PM

WVIT-TV keeps dropping here in the south end. Wind is only like 5 MPH from the NNW, so I know it's not that. My indoor antenna is in the same position it's been in all week. WTIC-TV, which is right next door, is fine and didn't drop out tonight during Family Guy or during any of the 2016 World Series games I was home to watch. I still don't get a trace of WTNH-TV, but that's largely due to them being on VHF.
post #7284 of 7286 Old 11-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
WVIT-TV keeps dropping here in the south end. Wind is only like 5 MPH from the NNW, so I know it's not that. My indoor antenna is in the same position it's been in all week. WTIC-TV, which is right next door, is fine and didn't drop out tonight during Family Guy or during any of the 2016 World Series games I was home to watch. I still don't get a trace of WTNH-TV, but that's largely due to them being on VHF.
Kevin and Spencer,

Misery loves company. I'm in Simsbury and have the same problem with WFSB (as described above). Trying to watch the Patriots. I now have both indoor and outdoor antennas and both break-up/pixelate. The indoor one is in the basement. I've turned it various directions (360) with no improvement.

any suggestions on "filtering" out the RFI?
Thanks
post #7285 of 7286 Old 11-20-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
Kevin and Spencer,

Misery loves company. I'm in Simsbury and have the same problem with WFSB (as described above). Trying to watch the Patriots. I now have both indoor and outdoor antennas and both break-up/pixelate. The indoor one is in the basement. I've turned it various directions (360) with no improvement.

any suggestions on "filtering" out the RFI?
Thanks
update

No problems with WFSB since the sun went down.

Does your reception improve at night?

Thanks
post #7286 of 7286 Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 AM

I don't know about last night. I was at a relative's place, watching Philadelphia vs Seattle on WCBS-TV (CBS) channel 2. For some reason, she gets the big NYC stations in the clear with no blackouts! Even gets them in HD. Maybe Frontier has the wrong zip code on file? As for WFSB-TV, I'll check on them this evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page