Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Anybody know what is going on with WEDH's bitrate? Their main -1 feed is at 9mbps, Comcast and TVC both pass it through directly without re-compression. I emailed CPBN's customer care, they said they'd forward my email to their engineers, haven't heard anything back about it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Could they be preparing to launch the new nationwide PBS Kids channel on 24-4?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 12-28-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe? It sucks to have such a low bitrate on the main channel though. In a perfect world, we'd have no subchannels!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
Kevin and Spencer,

Misery loves company. I'm in Simsbury and have the same problem with WFSB (as described above). Trying to watch the Patriots. I now have both indoor and outdoor antennas and both break-up/pixelate. The indoor one is in the basement. I've turned it various directions (360) with no improvement.

any suggestions on "filtering" out the RFI?
Thanks
Still having problems only when watching NFL on Channel 3, WFSB. All other channels are fine. Picture breaks-up and often "no signal" screen comes up momentarily.
Both antennas are Winegard Freevision Outdoor HDTV Model# FVHD30H.
Anyone else having trouble viewing WFSB?
I am only 5.6 miles from the tower per tvfool.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
Anyone else having trouble viewing WFSB? I am only 5.6 miles from the tower per tvfool. Thanks.
As a test, you might try scanning for channel 46 (WUVN) to see if you also have reception problems with (virtual) Channel 18. That full-power Spanish-language station broadcasts from a tower that is across the street from Channel 3's tower.

The only thing that I notice about WFSB is that sometimes its over-the-air electronic program guide has "No Information" in all the slots and the time increments are from minute to minute instead of the normal half-hour or hour. The EPG needs to be rebooted at the station, and a few days might go by before Channel 3 engineers notice. The signal strength at 4:50 this afternoon changes every second from 90-93 at my location; Channel 18 registers 93.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
As a test, you might try scanning for channel 46 (WUVN) to see if you also have reception problems with (virtual) Channel 18. That full-power Spanish-language station broadcasts from a tower that is across the street from Channel 3's tower.

The only thing that I notice about WFSB is that sometimes its over-the-air electronic program guide has "No Information" in all the slots and the time increments are from minute to minute instead of the normal half-hour or hour. The EPG needs to be rebooted at the station, and a few days might go by before Channel 3 engineers notice. The signal strength at 4:50 this afternoon changes every second from 90-93 at my location; Channel 18 registers 93.
Same issue with Real 46, WUVN. Today they freeze and quickly go to the "No Signal" screen. I tried both antennas. Yesterday I turned it on for awhile and didn't seem to have any problem with either station.
Thanks for replying
Old Today, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why has CPTV continued to run four redundant channels, as opposed to just two? I understand WEDW is a play to get must-carry status on D* and E* in the NYC DMA for Fairfield County, and now WEDY is getting sold in the 600mhz auction, so it's not quite as crazy as it was before, but what is the point of keeping WEDN? It's the most useless transmitter, here in Groton it doesn't come in, but WEDH out of Hartford does just fine (probably because of VHF vs. UHF), so wouldn't it have made sense to dump WEDN in the auction too, and WEDW as well if they could have dumped it but retained it's must-carry status for the NYC DMA? WEDH and WNET cover the whole area of WEDW OTA, and WEDH covers all of WEDN's coverage. It seems silly to have extra transmitters in there, since you have to hit NYC or Hartford anyway to get the other major networks if you're OTA-only (plus New Haven on VHF if you want ABC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement