Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreBee View Post
The database is just out of date. There is a 24-4 which is PBS Kids, that is not in the database, so I get 24-1 through 24-3. As I mentioned before, Antenna TV for WTIC-DT (61-2) is also not in the database, so all I get is the main channel, 61-1.
That's weird. Time to get a new setup for OTA I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Apologies ahead of time, as I didn't see a Frontier thread for Hartford and/or Connecticut here:

It looks like Frontier took away the New York City major stations this morning. Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11 are all gone, both SD and HD. Granted, my relative's service is in Hartford County, so I know they weren't technically supposed to get them to begin with. Just last night, I was watching channel 7 (ABC) in HD to see the New York Lottery Numbers/Win 4 drawings.

A friend of mine in Bristol has Frontier. Since his service started, he only got PBS channels 13 from Newark/NYC and PBS channel 50 from Montclair, NJ.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's very interesting, as the duplicate channels are all listed on their channel lineup for CT. Cable and satellite don't provide NYC channels to the Hartford area, so AT&T and Frontier were going above and beyond there. I wonder if it's the first of a series of cost-cutting moves on the channel lineup. It's too bad, as that's the major differentiator for IPTV- the sheer number of channels available.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Exclamation

What was strange was the cable service a friend of mine in Stratford had once. Despite being just over the Housatonic River from Milford, he didn't get channel 8 or 59 from New Haven. Odd, huh?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreBee View Post
24-3 is CPTV sports. I want that for High School Sports. 61-2 is Antenna TV. Lots of great old shows. I was also hoping to bring in 20-3 which is Comet TV, which is a sci-fi channel.

I was cleaning up wires this morning and noticed that the antenna to the AM21 in the basement had been disconnected from the splitter. After I did the set up over again, all the Hartford stations came up in the guide. The secondary zips did not bring in 61-2 or 20-3 like it was supposed to. Those were the two I really wanted.
If you run your home zip as primary and Fort Wayne IN (46802) as your secondary zip. It will give you 61.2 with the correct Antenna TV guide from Fort Wayne. Then run Jacksonville FL (32202) as your primary and Columbus OH (43201) as your secondary zip. This will give you 20.3 and 59.3 with incorrect guides on those channels, but you will be able to view them with your DVR/AM21. Then run you home zip and Fort Wayne on a third time so your DVR/AM21 is setup right when it reboots. There is no way to match to get correct guides on 20.3 and 59.3.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks like with the upcoming FCC Repack, Connecticut will lose 4 stations (If I am reading this correctly.)

WRDM
WUVN
WCTX
WEDY

Info from https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...6&owner=&sort=

Any thoughts?

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post
Looks like with the upcoming FCC Repack, Connecticut will lose 4 stations (If I am reading this correctly.)

WRDM
WUVN
WCTX
WEDY

Any thoughts?
You're not losing them. They're going to channel share.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's some other information that the following stations provided to the National Association of Broadcasters:

WFSB will eventually move from its current actual channel, 33, to channel 36.

WTIC will move from channel 31 to channel 34.

WCCT will move from channel 20 to channel 33.

In Springfield, WGGB (ABC) will move from channel 40 to channel 26 and will not channel share.

WGBY (PBS) will move from channel 22 to VHF channel 13 and will not channel share.

The moves will not begin until November 30, 2018 and beyond.

If the four stations that are turning in their spectrum turn up as a sub-channel on another station, I still won't be watching them. None of those stations were in my tuner's channel line-up. WEDY (PBS, New Haven) is just a satellite of Channel 24 in Hartford - a duplicate service. I never could receive WCTX (My Network TV, New Haven ) with my indoor antenna, so it's as if it didn't exist anyway. If WTNH adds it as a sub-channel, I still won't be able to receive it because I rarely can get Channel 8 - the only station in the state that elected to stay on VHF after the analog-to-digital transition. WRDM is a Spanish language station that is subject to inconsistent reception because it is a low-power station. And WUVN is also Spanish language. But Channel 18 going dark is still a surprise to me. Apparently that station has always had difficulty staying solvent - going back to the 1950s when CBS owned it.

Last edited by WHNB; 04-13-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
Other stations may be moving, but they prefer not to divulge this information until the FCC does at a later date. The moves will not begin until November 30, 2018 and beyond.
Er, Scott's link has the new channel assignments in it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not being up on this stuff, why is this happening?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's some other information that the following stations provided to the National Association of Broadcasters:

WFSB will eventually move from its current actual channel, 33, to channel 36.
YAY! No more dual 33's!

Quote:
WGBY (PBS) will move from channel 22 to VHF channel 13 and will not channel share.
I thought it was just going away? It's redundant to WEDH-DT. How did they end up running 4 redundant channels? WEDW ended up being useful for DBS must-carry.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:02 PM

So who pays for WGBY to toss it's UHF TX for a VHF ? I know I have lots of questions.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post
Not being up on this stuff, why is this happening?
The federal government decided back in 2010 that the nation's airwaves that are used for over-the-air TV broadcasting would be better put to use for wireless broadband. They, along with the cellular phone companies, wanted this "beachfront property" to avoid future congestion that they anticipated. They believed that there is more consumer demand for subscription-based wireless personal communication than there is for local television that is received free of charge with an antenna.

The Federal Communications Commission devised a plan to entice broadcasters to relinquish their channels for money. In return for payment, stations would have the choice of (1) going off the air completely, (2) finding another "host" station in the market that would let them air their content on a sub-channel of the host station, or (3) move off UHF to the less desirable VHF band, which often makes digital reception difficult especially in penetrating buildings to get to indoor antennas.

The auction to determine how much money TV stations would be paid started last year and concluded this past March. The major buyers of the spectrum were just announced: T-Mobile, Dish, Comcast, and U S Cellular. The FCC had to clear a path of the broadcasting spectrum that was being sold so that the wireless companies could use it efficiently, and this necessitated moving TV stations' channel assignments around.

The stations will still identify and brand themselves with their original analog channel number, even if their historic channel number falls in the UHF band and their actual channel number is in the VHF band. (This will make it confusing for consumers who only have a UHF antenna. They might think that they can get UHF Channel 57 because they have a UHF antenna, not realizing that Channel 57 will actually be broadcasting on VHF channel 13.)

TV stations that are moving to a new channel will have to buy new transmitting equipment like the antennas on their broadcast towers. Some station groups also want to introduce a new way of broadcasting over-the-air TV when they change channels. This new method, ATSC 3.0, will combine antenna-based reception with an internet connection as well. ATSC promises to provide better reception on TVs with indoor antennas as well as on mobile devices. It will allow for ultra-HD (4K) broadcasting with improved color rendition and enhanced stereo. ATSC 3.0 is not backwards-compatible, so viewers would have to buy new TVs if they want this next generation of broadcasting. The standards for 3.0 are still being worked out.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
YAY! No more dual 33's!
WCBS is also moving to 36.

Quote:
I thought it was just going away? It's redundant to WEDH-DT. How did they end up running 4 redundant channels? WEDW ended up being useful for DBS must-carry.
Before WEDH went up on the really tall tower, its signal was on a much shorter tower that didn't cover the state as well.

Quote:
So who pays for WGBY to toss it's UHF TX for a VHF ? I know I have lots of questions.
WGBY will pay for it with their auction winnings since they're voluntarily changing channels. Stations who are moved involuntarily will be compensated by the government.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Wow there's a lot going on. Thank you all for the education.. I am just south of Hartford and use an antenna to get 57, mostly for the timing of shows (This Old House). WGBY is on my COX cable but not HD. So it looks like in a few years I may have to rethink my off air reception.
I have cable but can't stop messing around with off air. Also I have used it to record shows in my laptop with a USB tuner. It is also possible that cable will be gone some day because as we age it seems there is less interest in most TV shows. The UCONN women would be a problem for my wife so cable stays for now.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The stations will still identify and brand themselves with their original analog channel number, even if their historic channel number falls in the UHF band and their actual channel number is in the VHF band. (This will make it confusing for consumers who only have a UHF antenna. They might think that they can get UHF Channel 57 because they have a UHF antenna, not realizing that Channel 57 will actually be broadcasting on VHF channel 13.)
But is that any worse than how it is now? Many stations that had VHF analog have digital channels in the UHF band, with PSIP numbers that correspond with their old analog channels. Some may end up going full circle. Nice comprehensive write-up BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WCBS is also moving to 36.
Oh dear. Where on earth did they get the idea that it would be OK to have CBS on the same frequency in two adjacent markets?

Quote:
Before WEDH went up on the really tall tower, its signal was on a much shorter tower that didn't cover the state as well.
Interesting. Down here in Groton, WEDH and WTIC are the two best signals. WVIT is pretty good, and WFSB and WCCT are hard to get.

Quote:
Wow there's a lot going on. Thank you all for the education.. I am just south of Hartford and use an antenna to get 57, mostly for the timing of shows (This Old House). WGBY is on my COX cable but not HD. So it looks like in a few years I may have to rethink my off air reception.
Interesting. I used to get WBGH on cable in HD, I liked watching them. Not available OTA except maybe in the extreme northeast corner of the state.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Oh dear. Where on earth did they get the idea that it would be OK to have CBS on the same frequency in two adjacent markets?
There's plenty of blame to go around in small doses, so it's basically more that a series of accidents led to where we are today.

Let's go to the very beginning of the DTV transition, in the mid-1990's. The FCC was trying to assign every station a second channel to go digital on, while avoiding channels 60-69 because it was hoping to free them early in the process for public safety where feasible. In that original plan, due to a shortage of channels, there was already a fair amount of short-spacing between New York and Hartford (this uses current call signs):

Channel 5: WTIC-DT and WNYW
Channel 8: WTNH and WNJB-DT
Channel 11: WFSB-DT and WPIX
Channel 18: WUVN and WMBC-DT
Channel 24: WEDH and WNYE-DT
Channel 30: WVIT and WPXN-DT
Channel 61: WTIC and WNET-DT

That list may not be exhaustive.

Anyway, WFSB-DT was, as you see, placed on 11, between WTNH-DT on 10 and WTXX-DT on 12. WFSB objected and asked the FCC to change it, because it would have too much adjacent-channel interference with the two Connecticut stations. The FCC, attempting to find a solution in a crowded part of the country, ultimately did a swap, it took channel 33 from WWLP-DT, gave it to WFSB-DT, and put WWLP-DT on 11. Channel 33 had been assigned to WPIX-DT in New York already, creating a new short-spacing.

Given the well-known troubles that low-VHF had, WTIC-DT wanted off of channel 5. To do so, it proposed moving to channel 31, which would short-space it to WPXN in New York. But part of the plan was to put WTIC-DT (on 31), WEDH-DT (on 32) and WFSB-DT (on 33) on the new very tall tower that WCCT, WTIC, and WEDH are on today. The FCC approved this plan.

But then, WFSB backed out and wanted to stay on their current tower instead. Now, WEDH-DT on 32 was the one in the position WFSB-DT had fled channel 11 to avoid. So WEDH-DT had to find a new home. They eventually came up with a creative solution, they asked the FCC to move WEDN-DT from channel 45 to channel 9, and then move WEDH-DT from channel 32 to channel 45, which would make them co-channel with WABC-DT in New York. The move of WEDN-DT to 9 was approved quickly, but the WEDH-DT move to 45 dragged out for a long time, and I don't remember why, but it was finally approved pretty late in the process.

So then the end of the DTV transition was approaching. The date was set for 2009, and the channel election process was on-going. At the time, people were calling high-VHF "beach-front property" and trying to get a high-VHF channel where they could and where it made sense to, and low-VHF continued to have its problems. So in Round 1 of the channel election process, where stations were only able to elect their analog or digital channel (with a few very narrow exceptions), here were the choices of some key stations in this story. Also note that stations which chose their currently-operating digital channels got priority in keeping them.

WCBS elected neither channel 2 nor 56, the former being low-VHF, the latter being above channel 51, and would wait for Round 2.
WABC elected 7.
WPIX elected 11.
WFSB elected 33.
WEDH elected 45.

With WEDH's channel 45 move not actually approved, it remained in limbo. Simultaneously, WABC's election of channel 7 was rejected due to interference to WNJB on 8, and they had to fall back to channel 45, but made their intention to try to keep 7 clear.

By Round 2, the situation in New York and Hartford looked like this:

6 WCTX
8 WNJB
9 WEDN
10 WTNH
11 WPIX
13 WNET
14 (Reserved)
15 (Reserved)
16 (Reserved)
17 (Reserved)
18 WMBC
19 (Reserved)
20 WCCT
21 WLIW
23 WFTY
24 WNYE
26 WHPX
27 WTBY
28 WNBC
29 WNYJ
31 WTIC/WPXN
33 WFSB
35 WVIT
36 WNJU
38 WWOR
39 WCTX
40 WXTV
41 WFUT (this was one of those exceptions; it made a deal with itself/WXTV and was able to move straight to 41 despite its analog being 68 and digital 53)
42 WZME
44 WNYW
45 WEDH/WABC
46 WUVN
48 WRNN
49 WEDW
51 WNJN

Still trying to find homes: WCBS, WLNY

When Round 2 came around, WLNY elected 47, which was pretty clearly available to them given their location on Long Island, with a fall-back option of channel 34.

I left out Philadelphia from my chart above, but WCBS was left without many good options. 33 was already running on the Empire State Building via WPIX-DT, which would certainly be cheaper and would preserve the existing landscape. Most of the other open channels had problems; 50 was out due to WNJN/WEDW, 43 was out due to WZME/WNJT, 34 was out due to the then-on-going WCAU/WPVI fight over it in Philadelphia, 32 was out due to WPSG, 25 was out due to WTVE, 22 was out due to WLIW/WFTY, and 12 was out due to WHYY. 30 may have worked but likely would have run into problems with WNYJ in pretty short order. So WCBS made the election of 33 with a fall-back option of channel 7, which WABC had already been rejected for. Since moving to 33 would maintain the status quo, WCBS was approved for it.

Before all was said and done, WEDH did get approved for 45 and I believe finally got built in 2008, WFUT noticed the channel 30 hole and decided the limitations due to WNYJ were less restrictive than channel 41 and WZME, so they got themselves moved to 30. (WFUT couldn't have gotten channel 30 first round because WPXN's digital was there, and I think most people assumed WPXN would be keeping it. 31 required serious short-spacing with Philadelphia and less-so-but-still-some with WTIC, but WPXN agreed to it.) And WABC, after much back and forth with the FCC and WNJB, was given channel 7 despite the interference between it and WNJB, leaving 45 open, but by then it was too late and WCBS was set on 33. 45, of course, would have been co-channel with Hartford as well, and with a station on a much taller tower, so I'm not sure how much better it would have been to be on 45.

That's how we got to where we are. Any questions?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, that is fascinating! Thanks for the exhaustive history there! What I'm still confused is why there can't be two channels on adjacent frequencies? Cell phones, cable systems, and a lot of other things run with adjacent channels and don't seem to have problems. Sliding something right in the middle would seem to be a better solution than having two channels on the same frequency, no? The system of having shared channels in Hartford and NYC effective causes a blackout for those channels in the Bridgeport-Danbury area, which is a pretty populated area. And now we're seeing the same thing again? Did they now do it on purpose for CBS, since CBS2 has a repeater out on Long Island that would be easy to get along the Gold Coast in Connecticut, due to Long Island and LIS's rather flat nature?

There are also a few things in there that don't make a lot of sense. Would it have been possible to give WEDW must-carry status in perpetuity for a low-power or physically non-existent transmitter if 49 could have been given to WABC in exchange for higher transmit power towards Fairfield County on WEDH? It's a moot point now, since everything above 36 is going away. I still don't see why WEDN and WEDW even exist, you'd think that they'd rather have more power for WEDH, which is already a really good transmitter. Also, shame on WFSB for not getting on the better tower, as [PSIP] 24, 61, 30, and 20 are much easier to get than [PSIP] 3, even though their RF channels are all in the same range.

Can the FCC give priority for stations with more viewership to get clearer channels, or do they have to treat some no-name also-ran network the same as the big 4/5/6 networks? If you can give priority to the big 6, then you basically have 12 networks in the two markets that need "clean" channels, and the others can duke it out in the "in-between" in Danbury and Bridgeport.

It's hard to tell exactly what their endgame is based on those moves that WHNB mentioned in terms of NYC, Hartford, and the adjacent DMAs to each of those, but it seems like a fairly minimal impact for the Hartford-New Haven DMA in general, and we still have the CBS problem with dual 36's. One that sticks out is WUVN going off the air completely, and keeping its must-carry? Or is it going away entirely, and cable and satellite will sub in a Univision channel from somewhere? I believe WEDN is just going away, since it's just a mirror of WEDH anyway, and WEDH and WEDW together provide must-carry for the two DMAs on DBS, IPTV, and cable.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
But is that any worse than how it is now? Many stations that had VHF analog have digital channels in the UHF band, with PSIP numbers that correspond with their old analog channels. Some may end up going full circle.

You're right, it's the same thing that has gone on since the digital transition. I just meant that the confusion will continue. I've read comments elsewhere where people think that the stations should use the occasion of this latest channel rearranging as a time to start identifying themselves by their actual channel number and not by the virtual number. The FCC currently forbids this. The thinking is that all the viewer has to do is re-scan when the time comes.

Quote:
Also, shame on WFSB for not getting on the better tower.
Channel 3 wanted to build a new taller tower for digital broadcasting on its land on Talcott Mountain instead of renting space on the tower in Farmington. The Avon Zoning Board rejected the application. The mountain is more populated now than when TV broadcasting started there in 1957, and those newer residents were concerned about radiation - even though 50,000 watt WTIC Radio has been transmitting from that site since the 1920s.

WFSB also wanted to relocate its doppler radar back to the mountain when the terminal building that it was on at Bradley International was going to be demolished. Avon Zoning again denied the application.

Quote:
... is WUVN going off the air completely, and keeping its must-carry? Or is it going away entirely, and cable and satellite will sub in a Univision channel from somewhere?
The FCC put out an eight-page list of winning bids that is dated April 4, 2017. Page three of this "Appendix A" indicates in the last column that WUVN, WRDM, and even WEDY have (or expressed an interest in having) a post-auction channel sharing agreement. That would seem to suggest that they're leaving the door open to being on a sub-channel if they can find one willing to have them. Maybe Trip can clarify what this means. The last time that I looked, WUVN was divided into four channels. I don't know where they will find a host station or stations to accommodate all of them.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
What I'm still confused is why there can't be two channels on adjacent frequencies? Cell phones, cable systems, and a lot of other things run with adjacent channels and don't seem to have problems. Sliding something right in the middle would seem to be a better solution than having two channels on the same frequency, no? The system of having shared channels in Hartford and NYC effective causes a blackout for those channels in the Bridgeport-Danbury area, which is a pretty populated area. And now we're seeing the same thing again? Did they now do it on purpose for CBS, since CBS2 has a repeater out on Long Island that would be easy to get along the Gold Coast in Connecticut, due to Long Island and LIS's rather flat nature?
There can be adjacency, but it has to be from similarly-situated stations, meaning similar in location, height, power, antenna pattern, etc. The problem is that if you have a station 10 miles away from you and a station right next to you, the one right next to you can more than 30 dB stronger than the one 10 miles away, which means your receiver may not decode the one 10 miles away. You'd lose in-market service in important cities within the core of the market. Although WFSB and WEDH weren't that terribly far apart geographically, the difference in height, power, and directional pattern would have caused too much interference in that manner.

The presence of the channel 22 translator had no bearing on it. The law for the repack required that service area be "preserved". So that means that since WCBS and WFSB are co-channel today, "preserving" service could be accomplished without breaking them up.

Quote:
There are also a few things in there that don't make a lot of sense. Would it have been possible to give WEDW must-carry status in perpetuity for a low-power or physically non-existent transmitter if 49 could have been given to WABC in exchange for higher transmit power towards Fairfield County on WEDH?
49 in New York would have had issues with WRNN on 48 and WWSI on 49.

Quote:
Can the FCC give priority for stations with more viewership to get clearer channels, or do they have to treat some no-name also-ran network the same as the big 4/5/6 networks? If you can give priority to the big 6, then you basically have 12 networks in the two markets that need "clean" channels, and the others can duke it out in the "in-between" in Danbury and Bridgeport.
No. The FCC would lose any lawsuit filed after it did something like that on free speech grounds. It would be the government declaring certain speech more important than other speech.

Quote:
Channel 3 wanted to build a new taller tower for digital broadcasting on its land on Talcott Mountain instead of renting space on the tower in Farmington. The Avon Zoning Board rejected the application. The mountain is more populated now than when TV broadcasting started there in 1957, and those newer residents were concerned about radiation - even though 50,000 watt WTIC Radio has been transmitting from that site since the 1920s.

WFSB also wanted to relocate its doppler radar back to the mountain when the terminal building that it was on at Bradley International was going to be demolished. Avon Zoning again denied the application.
Ah! That's the complicating factor I didn't know. I knew there was a reason why it didn't happen, but I didn't know what it was. That certainly explains it.

And yes, people concerned about radiation from broadcast towers should not own cell phones. If they understood the physics of RF propagation, they would know why I say that.

Quote:
It's hard to tell exactly what their endgame is based on those moves that WHNB mentioned in terms of NYC, Hartford, and the adjacent DMAs to each of those, but it seems like a fairly minimal impact for the Hartford-New Haven DMA in general, and we still have the CBS problem with dual 36's. One that sticks out is WUVN going off the air completely, and keeping its must-carry? Or is it going away entirely, and cable and satellite will sub in a Univision channel from somewhere? I believe WEDN is just going away, since it's just a mirror of WEDH anyway, and WEDH and WEDW together provide must-carry for the two DMAs on DBS, IPTV, and cable.
Quote:
The FCC put out an eight-page list of winning bids that is dated April 4, 2017. Page three of this "Appendix A" indicates in the last column that WUVN, WRDM, and even WEDY have (or expressed an interest in having) a post-auction channel sharing agreement. That would seem to suggest that they're leaving the door open to being on a sub-channel if they can find one willing to have them. Maybe Trip can clarify what this means. The last time that I looked, WUVN was divided into four channels. I don't know where they will find a host station or stations to accommodate all of them.
WUVN has an option of channel sharing, meaning that they didn't have an agreement with someone before the auction started, but now have up to 120 days after receiving payment to reach one and then file it with the FCC. My guess is that WUTH-CD will become the channel sharing host for WUVN, though they could also try to make an agreement with one of the other full-power stations in the market, and I don't see it going away because it preserves their must-carry rights. They could channel share Univision and UniMas on a full-power station in SD and then put the current array of channels in HD on WUTH-CD, for example.

WEDN isn't going anywhere, but WEDY won a bid to go off the air and will either go away or channel share with someone.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right, it's the same thing that has gone on since the digital transition. I just meant that the confusion will continue. I've read comments elsewhere where people think that the stations should use the occasion of this latest channel rearranging as a time to start identifying themselves by their actual channel number and not by the virtual number. The FCC currently forbids this. The thinking is that all the viewer has to do is re-scan when the time comes.
So the FCC *requires* them to use their original analog channel number as their PSIP number? This makes no sense at all. At this point, those channel numbers are pretty much arbitrary numbers, as they often were totally different from their cable numbers, and the cable numbers were often used to make their HD cable numbers by adding 100 or 1000.

Quote:
Oh god, stupid NIMBYs who don't understand physics! So why not go on the tower with WVIT, WTIC, and WEDH?

Quote:
Interesting.

Quote:
There can be adjacency, but it has to be from similarly-situated stations, meaning similar in location, height, power, antenna pattern, etc. The problem is that if you have a station 10 miles away from you and a station right next to you, the one right next to you can more than 30 dB stronger than the one 10 miles away, which means your receiver may not decode the one 10 miles away. You'd lose in-market service in important cities within the core of the market. Although WFSB and WEDH weren't that terribly far apart geographically, the difference in height, power, and directional pattern would have caused too much interference in that manner.
Why is this an issue at all? They are on two different frequencies. What in ATSC-8VSB causes frequencies to bleed over onto each other?

Quote:
The presence of the channel 22 translator had no bearing on it. The law for the repack required that service area be "preserved". So that means that since WCBS and WFSB are co-channel today, "preserving" service could be accomplished without breaking them up.
Oh great. So because they suck now, they are allowed to suck in the future? You'd think they could put some crappy non-big 6 channels co-channeled, but no, they have to put something important together....

Quote:
49 in New York would have had issues with WRNN on 48 and WWSI on 49.
Ooooh, I didn't realize 49 was in use in Philly.

Quote:
No. The FCC would lose any lawsuit filed after it did something like that on free speech grounds. It would be the government declaring certain speech more important than other speech.
So if the government isn't allowed to use actual data in their evaluations of what is important and what isn't, doesn't that open up a whole can of worms? Since there are a limited number of frequencies available, and effectively no space for any new channels to come online, doesn't that limit the free speech of potential new entrants to the market? By that logic, shouldn't the available frequencies get leased out to the highest bidder on a regular basis or something? That line of thought and logic could be taken to all sorts of crazy extremes given the limited amount of spectrum left for TV and the physics behind it all.

Quote:
And yes, people concerned about radiation from broadcast towers should not own cell phones. If they understood the physics of RF propagation, they would know why I say that.
What about computers with Wi-Fi cards? Or cordless phones? Yes, they are a bit lower power/range, but still, it's RF.

Quote:
WUVN has an option of channel sharing, meaning that they didn't have an agreement with someone before the auction started, but now have up to 120 days after receiving payment to reach one and then file it with the FCC. My guess is that WUTH-CD will become the channel sharing host for WUVN, though they could also try to make an agreement with one of the other full-power stations in the market, and I don't see it going away because it preserves their must-carry rights. They could channel share Univision and UniMas on a full-power station in SD and then put the current array of channels in HD on WUTH-CD, for example.
Aren't they under retransmission consent with cable and satellite operators? In which case, do they even need a transmitter at all?

Quote:
WEDN isn't going anywhere, but WEDY won a bid to go off the air and will either go away or channel share with someone.
They should have dumped WEDN, but I digress. WEDY will just go away, it's pointless to channel share something that's already available from WEDH anyway. It's not like Long Island wants CPTV, if they want it that badly, they can get WEDW on DirecTV or a giant antenna.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
So the FCC *requires* them to use their original analog channel number as their PSIP number? This makes no sense at all. At this point, those channel numbers are pretty much arbitrary numbers, as they often were totally different from their cable numbers, and the cable numbers were often used to make their HD cable numbers by adding 100 or 1000.
It makes perfect sense. Viewers expect WFSB to be on channel 3, not 33. It reduces viewer confusion and preserves the channel positions stations have been using for decades.

Quote:
So why not go on the tower with WVIT, WTIC, and WEDH?
Presumably to avoid paying rent. If they own their current tower, paying rent on someone else's tower would create a new on-going expense.

Quote:
Why is this an issue at all? They are on two different frequencies. What in ATSC-8VSB causes frequencies to bleed over onto each other?
Physics. Filters are only so good. Receivers can discriminate between signals about 30-35 dB apart in strength on adjacent channels. Get a signal powerful enough, and you'll desense the receiver entirely. This is nothing unique to ATSC.

Quote:
Oh great. So because they suck now, they are allowed to suck in the future? You'd think they could put some crappy non-big 6 channels co-channeled, but no, they have to put something important together....
That's essentially what "preserve" means: Don't make it worse.

Quote:
So if the government isn't allowed to use actual data in their evaluations of what is important and what isn't, doesn't that open up a whole can of worms? Since there are a limited number of frequencies available, and effectively no space for any new channels to come online, doesn't that limit the free speech of potential new entrants to the market? By that logic, shouldn't the available frequencies get leased out to the highest bidder on a regular basis or something? That line of thought and logic could be taken to all sorts of crazy extremes given the limited amount of spectrum left for TV and the physics behind it all.
Would you spend millions of dollars putting a station on the air if the FCC could take it away next year because it decides your programming wasn't good enough? Just because your programming is low-rated, if it's the only, say, Spanish-language programming in the area, does that mean the government should take it away and give it to someone else? If there are two Spanish-language stations, which one does the government force off the air? How do you know the one that was taken away won't be ahead in the ratings next year?

Licenses were assigned and, unless the stations violate a rule, they can be renewed with the filing of a renewal application to encourage them to be constructed in the first place to the tune of millions of dollars, continue following the rules, and providing free broadcast service. If someone wants to bid on a station as you're suggesting, they can simply make an offer to buy out an existing licensee today without the government being involved.

Quote:
What about computers with Wi-Fi cards? Or cordless phones? Yes, they are a bit lower power/range, but still, it's RF.
Yes, it was an example, not an exhaustive statement. I hate the stupidity of people opposing cell towers due to RF concerns, then stepping outside to talk on their cell phones. Either you are concerned about it or you aren't.

Quote:
Aren't they under retransmission consent with cable and satellite operators? In which case, do they even need a transmitter at all?
Depends on their programming contracts. Many contracts are "broadcast only" meaning that they can broadcast it and resell that broadcast to cable, but could not go directly to cable.

Quote:
They should have dumped WEDN, but I digress. WEDY will just go away, it's pointless to channel share something that's already available from WEDH anyway. It's not like Long Island wants CPTV, if they want it that badly, they can get WEDW on DirecTV or a giant antenna.
A license inherently has value. Do you throw things away that have value just because you don't need them, or do you try to sell them to someone else? Or perhaps hold onto them hoping they will have more value later?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 04-18-2017, 05:28 AM

It is my understanding that The slightly shorter tower on Rattlesnake Mountain is owned by WVIT-TV (NBC) channel 30. Is any other TV or radio station on it? I don't think there is.

The bigger tower houses channels 20 (CW), 24 (PBS), 61 (FOX) and WRCH-FM 100.5 of New Britain ("Lite 100.5"), if I'm not mistaken.

There's one great sport to get a great (but brief) view of Rattlesnake's height during the day. Drive along CT Route 372 westbound in Berlin. As you hit the top of the hill coming from East Berlin (after Pepin Lane and before Beckley Road), you see the mountain and said towers looming over New Britain's Walnut Hill and the Hospital Of Central Connecticut below it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM

One of the reasons WEDY existed was to cover downtown New Haven which was in the East Rock shadow. In today's world it's probably a waste of operating money.
BiggAW likes this.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. Viewers expect WFSB to be on channel 3, not 33. It reduces viewer confusion and preserves the channel positions stations have been using for decades.
I find that kind of bizarre. I'd rather not have PSIP and get the real RF numbers, but I guess I'm also a geek. My mind still has NBC as channel 4, and Fox as channel 6, since they used to be those on cable, and are now 100+ or 1000+ those numbers for HD depending on the cable provider.

Quote:
Physics. Filters are only so good. Receivers can discriminate between signals about 30-35 dB apart in strength on adjacent channels. Get a signal powerful enough, and you'll desense the receiver entirely. This is nothing unique to ATSC.
Interesting. So they can be in the same market, but not the same immediate area?

Quote:
That's essentially what "preserve" means: Don't make it worse.
Great. High standards haha!

Quote:
Would you spend millions of dollars putting a station on the air if the FCC could take it away next year because it decides your programming wasn't good enough? Just because your programming is low-rated, if it's the only, say, Spanish-language programming in the area, does that mean the government should take it away and give it to someone else? If there are two Spanish-language stations, which one does the government force off the air? How do you know the one that was taken away won't be ahead in the ratings next year?

Licenses were assigned and, unless the stations violate a rule, they can be renewed with the filing of a renewal application to encourage them to be constructed in the first place to the tune of millions of dollars, continue following the rules, and providing free broadcast service. If someone wants to bid on a station as you're suggesting, they can simply make an offer to buy out an existing licensee today without the government being involved.
Yeah, those are all valid points. I just wonder if the public good is really being served here, since there are some low-rated channels that are getting cleaner assignments than the major channels. Really, having the big 4/5/6 free serve the most public good, as that gives free TV that people actually want versus niche channels. I wouldn't want to say that all channels should be broadcast in English, but giving good frequencies to non-english language channels inherently limits their potential audiences. I like the idea of having TV options available in many languages, but it seems to me that DBS is the best avenue for that type of programming, since it has lots of bandwidth to do so. I should think that given the ability to prioritize what people actually use, they could have gotten the big 6 plus various duplicate PBS stations in NYC from both cities clean channel assignments, and relegated some second-tier stuff to adjacent channels.

Quote:
Yes, it was an example, not an exhaustive statement. I hate the stupidity of people opposing cell towers due to RF concerns, then stepping outside to talk on their cell phones. Either you are concerned about it or you aren't.
Yeah, I was just highlighting their stupidity.

Quote:
Depends on their programming contracts. Many contracts are "broadcast only" meaning that they can broadcast it and resell that broadcast to cable, but could not go directly to cable.
That's an interesting angle. So could they put a crummy looking 480i feed on any station that will give them the minimum bandwidth to do that, and then transmit a nice 1080i signal via fiber over to cable/IPTV/DBS?

Quote:
A license inherently has value. Do you throw things away that have value just because you don't need them, or do you try to sell them to someone else? Or perhaps hold onto them hoping they will have more value later?
They got their money for WEDY, so that ended up being a good play I guess. Not sure if they tried to sell WEDN, that's also pointless.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I find that kind of bizarre. I'd rather not have PSIP and get the real RF numbers, but I guess I'm also a geek. My mind still has NBC as channel 4, and Fox as channel 6, since they used to be those on cable, and are now 100+ or 1000+ those numbers for HD depending on the cable provider.
The average viewer wants their channels to be where they expect them to be. Imagine how an elderly relative would react if suddenly every station in Connecticut were on a different channel.

Quote:
Interesting. So they can be in the same market, but not the same immediate area?
It's the opposite. They can be on the same tower or same immediate area, but not spread apart within the same market.

Quote:
Yeah, those are all valid points. I just wonder if the public good is really being served here, since there are some low-rated channels that are getting cleaner assignments than the major channels. Really, having the big 4/5/6 free serve the most public good, as that gives free TV that people actually want versus niche channels. I wouldn't want to say that all channels should be broadcast in English, but giving good frequencies to non-english language channels inherently limits their potential audiences. I like the idea of having TV options available in many languages, but it seems to me that DBS is the best avenue for that type of programming, since it has lots of bandwidth to do so. I should think that given the ability to prioritize what people actually use, they could have gotten the big 6 plus various duplicate PBS stations in NYC from both cities clean channel assignments, and relegated some second-tier stuff to adjacent channels.
Which of these channels are you referring to? As I see it, except for WEDH and maybe WVIT, each Connecticut station's channel has some tradeoff that was made.

And who will pay for this DBS service? Does it make sense to provide Hartford Spanish-language local news nationwide when the target audience is the local area?

Quote:
That's an interesting angle. So could they put a crummy looking 480i feed on any station that will give them the minimum bandwidth to do that, and then transmit a nice 1080i signal via fiber over to cable/IPTV/DBS?
Depends on what's in the contract.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The average viewer wants their channels to be where they expect them to be. Imagine how an elderly relative would react if suddenly every station in Connecticut were on a different channel.
I see your point, but I would argue that they're already a total mess. First we have different systems, then we have two DMAs. You want to watch the game on FOX? At my friend's house in Bethel (Danbury), it's 1005, at my parents' house, it's 1006, at my house it's 106 on cable or 61-1 OTA, another friend has DirecTV, so it's 61 on his TV. Saying it's channel 31 is not really any more or less logical than any of the other channel numbers it already has. The same is true for all the other networks on various systems in the two DMAs.

Quote:
It's the opposite. They can be on the same tower or same immediate area, but not spread apart within the same market.
Oh ok, I guess I misunderstood that then. Sounds like they should get more on the same tower then so that they can use a block of adjacent channels more efficiently.

Quote:
Which of these channels are you referring to? As I see it, except for WEDH and maybe WVIT, each Connecticut station's channel has some tradeoff that was made.
Particularly CBS. That really sucks to have CBS with an adjacent channel on the same frequency. If you're around Bridgeport or Danbury, good luck.

Quote:
And who will pay for this DBS service? Does it make sense to provide Hartford Spanish-language local news nationwide when the target audience is the local area?
Spanish-speaking households already have a much higher than average DBS penetration, because DBS has a lot more spanish language programming. That's why we have LiLs and spot beams. Or basic cable.

Quote:
Depends on what's in the contract.
Do the contracts get down to the granularity of who is getting what format?
Old Today, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure if they tried to sell WEDN, that's also pointless.
The website current.org is reporting today that, after WEDY (New Haven) goes off the air, its programming will be seen on a sub-channel of host station WEDW in Bridgeport.

In addition to channel-sharing with WEDY, WEDW will share its frequency with yet another broadcaster. For now, Connecticut Public Broadcasting is declining to name that other broadcaster due to a confidentiality agreement.

The article states that CPTV entered its Bridgeport, New Haven, and Norwich stations in the auction, and originally wanted to relinquish all the spectrum in Bridgeport. It wanted to keep WEDH in Hartford. The auction turned out results that CPTV did not expect. But Connecticut Public Broadcasting will be getting some revenue by having WEDW become a host station, in addition to the money that it is getting by turning off the New Haven station.

I wonder if CPTV's various towers in different parts of the state will be valuable when ATSC 3.0 is launched. Broadcasters are worried about losing viewers who watch content on mobile devices. ATSC 3.0 is a way to stay relevant to this audience. According to the designers of 3.0, each station having only one tall broadcast tower might not be enough to blanket an entire region with a reliable signal that is able to reach each smartphone or tablet.

The engineers are advocating Single Frequency Networks - SFNs - multiple towers that are strategically placed throughout a market. Competing stations would mount supplementary broadcast antennas on each of these towers and share the expenses of maintaining them. The signal is synchronized so that there is no interference from the signal that is coming off the main tower.

I can't see Connecticut's TV stations cooperating on this due to their competitiveness and lack of money to pay the ongoing expenses of multiple towers. But if they go this route, CPTV's towers in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwich are already built and may be a convenient way to make single frequency networks a reality in Connecticut.
Old Today, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The website current.org is reporting today that, after WEDY (New Haven) goes off the air, its programming will be seen on a sub-channel of host station WEDW in Bridgeport.

In addition to channel-sharing with WEDY, WEDW will share its frequency with yet another broadcaster. For now, Connecticut Public Broadcasting is declining to name that other broadcaster due to a confidentiality agreement.
HUH? Aren't WEDN, WEDY, and WEDW all just mirrors of WEDH? All WEDW needs to to do is be a legal full-power station to force must-carry on DirecTV. They really lucked out with WEDW, as Fairfield County folks may be interested in CPTV in particular over WNET, but WEDW gets CPTV carried for all DirecTV subscribers in the entire DMA (DISH as well, even though they aren't a significant player in the NYC DMA due to lacking NYC sports).

Quote:
The article states that CPTV entered its Bridgeport, New Haven, and Norwich stations in the auction, and originally wanted to relinquish all the spectrum in Bridgeport. It wanted to keep WEDH in Hartford. The auction turned out results that CPTV did not expect. But Connecticut Public Broadcasting will be getting some revenue by having WEDW become a host station, in addition to the money that it is getting by turning off the New Haven station.
Interesting. I wonder if they can compress the snot out of WEDW, and send DirecTV a fiber feed? I'm guessing their relinquishment of WEDW would have been conditional on keeping must-carry status for D* and E*?

Quote:
I wonder if CPTV's various towers in different parts of the state will be valuable when ATSC 3.0 is launched. Broadcasters are worried about losing viewers who watch content on mobile devices. ATSC 3.0 is a way to stay relevant to this audience. According to the designers of 3.0, each station having only one tall broadcast tower might not be enough to blanket an entire region with a reliable signal that is able to reach each smartphone or tablet.
I'm very skeptical of this live viewing on mobile thing. I think mobile has already moved beyond that type of model, and the content on OTA stations just doesn't lend itself to live viewing on mobile- it's really designed around prime time when people are at home with their butts planted on their couches. WEDH-DT today has great coverage, and here in Groton, WEDN-DT is nowhere to be found, but WEDH-DT is my best signal other than the ION station in New London that has crappy re-runs all day.

Quote:
The engineers are advocating Single Frequency Networks - SFNs - multiple towers that are strategically placed throughout a market. Competing stations would mount supplementary broadcast antennas on each of these towers and share the expenses of maintaining them. The signal is synchronized so that there is no interference from the signal that is coming off the main tower.

I can't see Connecticut's TV stations cooperating on this due to their competitiveness and lack of money to pay the ongoing expenses of multiple towers. But if they go this route, CPTV's towers in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwich are already built and may be a convenient way to make single frequency networks a reality in Connecticut.
SFNs are super cool from a tech perspective, no doubt about it. I'm just struggling to see the business model to improve coverage for OTA when their main business now seems to be getting on cable and satellite. Even with cord shaving, I think they want to ride the coattails of the broadband monopolies and get to people through skinny bundles that cost a few bucks more than broadband only, since they are pocketing the lion's share of that money, not the cable companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement