Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #7351 of 7365 Unread 05-11-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post
WFSB will move to channel 36
WCBS will move to channel 36

Is this going to be the same channel 33 fiasco all over again?
Due to my location and a hill near me, most of WFSBs signal is blocked. Just enough of the signal makes it over the hill to kill my WCBS signal.
I can only get WCBS when the leaves are fully on the trees.
My hopes are that WFSB and WCBS would become a SFN, but I doubt that would happen with WFSB being independently owned.
I guess I can cross my fingers and hope to grab a CBS signal from WLNY.
Same fiasco. Can't so an SFN, as they are different channels with different programming. SFN only works for the same signal. Not sure about your location, but if you're right in the middle, you have to use the WCBS-TV repeater on Long Island. WLNY-DT is not the same as WCBS-DT, WCBS-TV, and WFSB-DT in that it's not a regular CBS affiliate.
BiggAW is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7352 of 7365 Unread 05-12-2017, 03:23 AM
Member
 
GSfromCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm 62 miles from ESB and about 32 miles from the Hartford transmitters.
Due to a hill near my house, I have a clearer signal coming from ESB.
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
GSfromCT is offline  
post #7353 of 7365 Unread 05-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
100/40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post
I'm 62 miles from ESB and about 32 miles from the Hartford transmitters.
Due to a hill near my house, I have a clearer signal coming from ESB.
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
I saw one place that said WLNY was on channel 47.
How directional is your antenna ?
100/40 is offline  
 
post #7354 of 7365 Unread 05-13-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post
I'm 62 miles from ESB and about 32 miles from the Hartford transmitters.
Due to a hill near my house, I have a clearer signal coming from ESB.
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
I didn't realize WLNY-DT had the same primetime content as WCBS-DT. WCBS-TV is RF 22, and is a direct mirror of WCBS-DT. I'm guessing RF 22 is in use somewhere to the north, so it was a "freebie" channel to sneak in on Long Island, since there's just open ocean to the south. If you look at the map on tvfool, WCBS-TV RF22 has a very odd gain pattern, with almost nothing broadcast to the east, probably so it doesn't stomp on WLWC-DT, New Bedford, MA. It hits the gold coast of CT plus a lot of Long Island from the opposite direction as WCBS-DT, but does almost nothing to the east. Interesting, the whole east end of Long Island has a better shot at reception, if any, from Hartford than NYC.
BiggAW is online now  
post #7355 of 7365 Unread 05-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
nyctveng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location:
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
wlny wcbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post
I'm 62 miles from ESB and about 32 miles from the Hartford transmitters.
Due to a hill near my house, I have a clearer signal coming from ESB.
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
WCBS and WLNY DO NOT have the same prime time content

WCBS listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/program-guide/


WLNY listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/wlny-program-schedule/
nyctveng is offline  
post #7356 of 7365 Unread 05-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Member
 
GSfromCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
WCBS and WLNY DO NOT have the same prime time content

WCBS listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/program-guide/


WLNY listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/wlny-program-schedule/
Ok. I need to try for RF 22 and see what I can find.
My mistake on WLNY - I saw CBS owned and at first I thought that was their Long Island feed and they just changed up the local content.
I'm using an Antennas direct XG91 on a rotor. I get Fox 5 and WNBC very good, just not WCBS. For my location, ESB is at about 240 degrees. WLNY is at 174 degrees.
I have to find some more info on 22.
I still can't believe I waited YEARS for the two CBS channels to get there own frequency. Wow. I waited for them to separate from ch 33, only for both of them to move to 36. My only hope would be for the 1 WTC signal to be a little stronger due to better LOS.
GSfromCT is offline  
post #7357 of 7365 Unread 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
100/40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well GSfromCT that's a lot of antenna. Can an antenna be too directional? So much to play around with, but sometimes fun.
Based on a personal experience with WGBY Springfield I found that a vertical movement of my antenna went from practically no signal to a solid lock. We're talking about a 10" move. RF is so strange. If it's not a big task I'd give it a try for a shot at WCBS, or maybe WFSB will bounce in. Also I hope this RF 22 can give you a usable signal. GOOD LUCK.
100/40 is offline  
post #7358 of 7365 Unread 05-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Member
 
GSfromCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A long long time ago, WCBS was my strongest signal from the ESB. That was when it was broadcasting on channel 56 and WFSB was transmitting low power and on a different channel.
I have a spare CM 4248 yagi that I will probably walk around my yard in search of 22. I'm about 14 miles directly north of Stratford.
You example of a 10" vertical move reminds me of listening to the radio in a car. The station comes in bad at a red light, so you move up 5 feet and the signal is better.
GSfromCT is offline  
post #7359 of 7365 Unread 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I just got a radio for listening to the Sox games, and the reception goes from good with some AM noise (which I want) to completely unusable by just moving inches in my room. It's bizarre, but yeah, RF can be really weird. I can't wait to listen to some games from WTIC 1080 with that nice AM noise. I can get 103.7 FM, but it just doesn't have the same ambiance as listening to baseball on AM.
BiggAW is online now  
post #7360 of 7365 Unread 06-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
hancox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monroe, CT
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
The website current.org is reporting today that, after WEDY (New Haven) goes off the air, its programming will be seen on a sub-channel of host station WEDW in Bridgeport.

In addition to channel-sharing with WEDY, WEDW will share its frequency with yet another broadcaster. For now, Connecticut Public Broadcasting is declining to name that other broadcaster due to a confidentiality agreement.

The article states that CPTV entered its Bridgeport, New Haven, and Norwich stations in the auction, and originally wanted to relinquish all the spectrum in Bridgeport. It wanted to keep WEDH in Hartford. The auction turned out results that CPTV did not expect. But Connecticut Public Broadcasting will be getting some revenue by having WEDW become a host station, in addition to the money that it is getting by turning off the New Haven station.

I wonder if CPTV's various towers in different parts of the state will be valuable when ATSC 3.0 is launched. Broadcasters are worried about losing viewers who watch content on mobile devices. ATSC 3.0 is a way to stay relevant to this audience. According to the designers of 3.0, each station having only one tall broadcast tower might not be enough to blanket an entire region with a reliable signal that is able to reach each smartphone or tablet.

The engineers are advocating Single Frequency Networks - SFNs - multiple towers that are strategically placed throughout a market. Competing stations would mount supplementary broadcast antennas on each of these towers and share the expenses of maintaining them. The signal is synchronized so that there is no interference from the signal that is coming off the main tower.

I can't see Connecticut's TV stations cooperating on this due to their competitiveness and lack of money to pay the ongoing expenses of multiple towers. But if they go this route, CPTV's towers in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwich are already built and may be a convenient way to make single frequency networks a reality in Connecticut.
Hmmmm. Very interesting on sharing for WEDW.

Given that at least 2 Hartford DMA stations have outright expressed desire for "coverage" in Fairfield County, could they possibly be looking for bandwidth there? Would that even be legal?

I'm scratching my head at who else would want a fairly targeted site like that.
hancox is offline  
post #7361 of 7365 Unread 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
WHNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East Windsor, Connecticut
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
HUH? Aren't WEDN, WEDY, and WEDW all just mirrors of WEDH?
I think that they are, but having WEDY on its own sub-channel of WEDW is a way for the host station to get revenue under the auction rules.

Quote:
I'm very skeptical of this live viewing on mobile thing. I think mobile has already moved beyond that type of model, and the content on OTA stations just doesn't lend itself to live viewing on mobile- it's really designed around prime time when people are at home with their butts planted on their couches.
I agree. The content on the web is nearly limitless depending on the viewer's interests and mood. Over-the-air content is limited by the stations who act as gate-keepers. They dictate the choices that are available.

Quote:
I'm just struggling to see the business model to improve coverage for OTA when their main business now seems to be getting on cable and satellite. Even with cord shaving, I think they want to ride the coattails of the broadband monopolies and get to people through skinny bundles that cost a few bucks more than broadband only, since they are pocketing the lion's share of that money, not the cable companies.
Good point. Years ago, top-of-the-hour station identifications were done live by booth announcers. Now some local stations deliberately have the call letters and city of license in tiny print that is hardly readable on the bottom of the screen. Apparently, the stations don't want people to know that they can receive the channels other than via cable, satellite dish, or paid streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Given that at least 2 Hartford DMA stations have outright expressed desire for "coverage" in Fairfield County, could they possibly be looking for bandwidth there [on WEDW]? Would that even be legal?
I'm scratching my head at who else would want a fairly targeted site like that.
It's a mystery to me, too. I read awhile ago that some residents in those Fairfield County towns wanted to see their towns included in the No School crawls on the Hartford stations. I believe that was one reason why Channel 3 put up a sub-channel that was intended for the audience in Fairfield County. A viewer in that area who saw the sub-channel once posted here that it simulcasted WFSB's program schedule, but public service announcements from the Ad Council replaced the commercials during local time.
WHNB is offline  
post #7362 of 7365 Unread 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
I'm scratching my head at who else would want a fairly targeted site like that.
I doubt it would be one of the big four. WEDW gets you must-carry in the entire NYC DMA, which is it's value, not the actual OTA broadcast range. They're going to have to change their encoding system, as right now, it sends up one messed up feed (too much bandwidth to subchannels) out to all of the sites. Hopefully they will fix the bandwidth allocation problem on WEDH-DT. I wrote them about it, and their response was basically, "yeah we know it's messed up, but it's not a high priority to fix right now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
I think that they are, but having WEDY on its own sub-channel of WEDW is a way for the host station to get revenue under the auction rules.
That's bizarre. A mirror of itself as a subchannel. But how would WEDW get revenue from WEDY? It's the same channel.

Quote:
Good point. Years ago, top-of-the-hour station identifications were done live by booth announcers. Now some local stations deliberately have the call letters and city of license in tiny print that is hardly readable on the bottom of the screen. Apparently, the stations don't want people to know that they can receive the channels other than via cable, satellite dish, or paid streaming.
Yeah, I think they are counting on people being dumb and having cable or satellite just for local channels. I've talked to people who are completely clueless and amazed at my antenna and the fact that I can get the same channels over the air for free that have been available for like 70 years in one form or another.

Quote:
It's a mystery to me, too. I read awhile ago that some residents in those Fairfield County towns wanted to see their towns included in the No School crawls on the Hartford stations. I believe that was one reason why Channel 3 put up a sub-channel that was intended for the audience in Fairfield County. A viewer in that area who saw the sub-channel once posted here that it simulcasted WFSB's program schedule, but public service announcements from the Ad Council replaced the commercials during local time.
While we're at it, maybe they should fight over buggy whips too. Don't we have the internet now for such information? I wish they would get rid of those stupid crawl things completely, they are so annoying to look at 2 weeks later in a recording of something.
BiggAW is online now  
post #7363 of 7365 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
WHNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East Windsor, Connecticut
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's bizarre. A mirror of itself as a subchannel. But how would WEDW get revenue from WEDY? It's the same channel.
I'm guessing that it falls under the category of creative bookkeeping/accounting. Somehow the parent corporation, Connecticut Public Broadcasting, benefits from the arrangement between itself and its TV channels when the rules of the auction are applied. Otherwise, they would not have a dedicated sub-channel for WEDY (if that's what they're planning). It does seem like a waste of a sub-channel, though, when the programming will be the same that is on the primary channel.

Quote:
I've talked to people who are completely clueless and amazed at my antenna and the fact that I can get the same channels over the air for free that have been available for like 70 years in one form or another.
When my internet provider increased the price back in 2009, I called to downgrade to a less expensive option. The customer service rep saw on my account that I did not subscribe to their cable TV. When I told him I get the local stations with an antenna, he said that over-the-air TV was ending, and that I should sign up for cable. He was referring to the end of analog broadcasting. He seemed to really believe there no longer would be OTA TV, unless he was putting on a good act to try to make a sale.


Quote:
While we're at it, maybe they should fight over buggy whips too. Don't we have the internet now for such information? I wish they would get rid of those stupid crawl things completely, they are so annoying to look at 2 weeks later in a recording of something.
Local TV stations did not always have those crawls. I think that the management back then knew that the crawls would be too intrusive for the viewer and too repetitive for TV. People turned on a radio in the morning for the no school announcements. I think some of the companies that call in to have their place of business listed as closed for the day in the TV crawls - like tanning salons - are doing it just to get free publicity. TV stations/networks also didn't always have an ID bug in the lower right corner. I like it when the automated equipment occasionally fails to insert the bug on the local channels and it's absent from the screen for a few days. I still know what station I'm watching because I chose it.
WHNB is offline  
post #7364 of 7365 Unread Today, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,392
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
It does seem like a waste of a sub-channel, though, when the programming will be the same that is on the primary channel.
If the programming is the same, they can map the same video and audio to two different channels in PSIP. That wastes no bandwidth at all.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #7365 of 7365 Unread Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHNB View Post
I'm guessing that it falls under the category of creative bookkeeping/accounting. Somehow the parent corporation, Connecticut Public Broadcasting, benefits from the arrangement between itself and its TV channels when the rules of the auction are applied. Otherwise, they would not have a dedicated sub-channel for WEDY (if that's what they're planning). It does seem like a waste of a sub-channel, though, when the programming will be the same that is on the primary channel.
Yeah, they end up paying themselves with money from the auction or something.

Quote:
When my internet provider increased the price back in 2009, I called to downgrade to a less expensive option. The customer service rep saw on my account that I did not subscribe to their cable TV. When I told him I get the local stations with an antenna, he said that over-the-air TV was ending, and that I should sign up for cable. He was referring to the end of analog broadcasting. He seemed to really believe there no longer would be OTA TV, unless he was putting on a good act to try to make a sale.
Yeah, there was a lot of that kind of lying going on, and unfortunately no one got held accountable for it. A number of cable companies scared people into subscribing to cable by lying about the digital transition.

Quote:
Local TV stations did not always have those crawls. I think that the management back then knew that the crawls would be too intrusive for the viewer and too repetitive for TV. People turned on a radio in the morning for the no school announcements. I think some of the companies that call in to have their place of business listed as closed for the day in the TV crawls - like tanning salons - are doing it just to get free publicity. TV stations/networks also didn't always have an ID bug in the lower right corner. I like it when the automated equipment occasionally fails to insert the bug on the local channels and it's absent from the screen for a few days. I still know what station I'm watching because I chose it.
We used to have the announcements on the local public access channels, but now I presume it's all online. I'm not sure why they need the crawls anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
If the programming is the same, they can map the same video and audio to two different channels in PSIP. That wastes no bandwidth at all.
Hah! That's a great idea!
BiggAW is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off