Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #7351 of 7359 Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post
WFSB will move to channel 36
WCBS will move to channel 36

Is this going to be the same channel 33 fiasco all over again?
Due to my location and a hill near me, most of WFSBs signal is blocked. Just enough of the signal makes it over the hill to kill my WCBS signal.
I can only get WCBS when the leaves are fully on the trees.
My hopes are that WFSB and WCBS would become a SFN, but I doubt that would happen with WFSB being independently owned.
I guess I can cross my fingers and hope to grab a CBS signal from WLNY.
Same fiasco. Can't so an SFN, as they are different channels with different programming. SFN only works for the same signal. Not sure about your location, but if you're right in the middle, you have to use the WCBS-TV repeater on Long Island. WLNY-DT is not the same as WCBS-DT, WCBS-TV, and WFSB-DT in that it's not a regular CBS affiliate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7359 Old 05-12-2017, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm 62 miles from ESB and about 32 miles from the Hartford transmitters.
Due to a hill near my house, I have a clearer signal coming from ESB.
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
post #7353 of 7359 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I tried getting WLNY in last night. Not even a blip. The hill near me kills signals to my NE to SE.
I thought WLNY was the CBS Long Island repeater. I knew it had different local content but same at prime time.
Do you know what frequency the CBS repeater is on? I think it is my last hope to get CBS reliably.
I really hoped the repack would get the two CBS channels on different frequencies.
I saw one place that said WLNY was on channel 47.
How directional is your antenna ?

post #7354 of 7359 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't realize WLNY-DT had the same primetime content as WCBS-DT. WCBS-TV is RF 22, and is a direct mirror of WCBS-DT. I'm guessing RF 22 is in use somewhere to the north, so it was a "freebie" channel to sneak in on Long Island, since there's just open ocean to the south. If you look at the map on tvfool, WCBS-TV RF22 has a very odd gain pattern, with almost nothing broadcast to the east, probably so it doesn't stomp on WLWC-DT, New Bedford, MA. It hits the gold coast of CT plus a lot of Long Island from the opposite direction as WCBS-DT, but does almost nothing to the east. Interesting, the whole east end of Long Island has a better shot at reception, if any, from Hartford than NYC.
post #7355 of 7359 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
wlny wcbs

Quote:
WCBS and WLNY DO NOT have the same prime time content

WCBS listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/program-guide/

WLNY listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/wlny-program-schedule/
post #7356 of 7359 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
WCBS and WLNY DO NOT have the same prime time content

WCBS listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/program-guide/

WLNY listings:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/wlny-program-schedule/
Ok. I need to try for RF 22 and see what I can find.
My mistake on WLNY - I saw CBS owned and at first I thought that was their Long Island feed and they just changed up the local content.
I'm using an Antennas direct XG91 on a rotor. I get Fox 5 and WNBC very good, just not WCBS. For my location, ESB is at about 240 degrees. WLNY is at 174 degrees.
I have to find some more info on 22.
I still can't believe I waited YEARS for the two CBS channels to get there own frequency. Wow. I waited for them to separate from ch 33, only for both of them to move to 36. My only hope would be for the 1 WTC signal to be a little stronger due to better LOS.
post #7357 of 7359 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well GSfromCT that's a lot of antenna. Can an antenna be too directional? So much to play around with, but sometimes fun.
Based on a personal experience with WGBY Springfield I found that a vertical movement of my antenna went from practically no signal to a solid lock. We're talking about a 10" move. RF is so strange. If it's not a big task I'd give it a try for a shot at WCBS, or maybe WFSB will bounce in. Also I hope this RF 22 can give you a usable signal. GOOD LUCK.
post #7358 of 7359 Old Today, 04:46 AM

A long long time ago, WCBS was my strongest signal from the ESB. That was when it was broadcasting on channel 56 and WFSB was transmitting low power and on a different channel.
I have a spare CM 4248 yagi that I will probably walk around my yard in search of 22. I'm about 14 miles directly north of Stratford.
You example of a 10" vertical move reminds me of listening to the radio in a car. The station comes in bad at a red light, so you move up 5 feet and the signal is better.
post #7359 of 7359 Old Today, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got a radio for listening to the Sox games, and the reception goes from good with some AM noise (which I want) to completely unusable by just moving inches in my room. It's bizarre, but yeah, RF can be really weird. I can't wait to listen to some games from WTIC 1080 with that nice AM noise. I can get 103.7 FM, but it just doesn't have the same ambiance as listening to baseball on AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception