Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #7381 of 7392 Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
WOW, WNET is impressive, but HOLY &$%^ Norfolk, VA? That's nuts! Must have been just the right atmospheric conditions!
This has got to be great location for reception. That little flatwave 6550 amped is a beast for its size. According to TVfool i am in a dead spot for Providence area channels. I occasionally will pick up WNAC out of Providence area on good summer nights with Antenna pointed in other direction.

From what I have read on the subject, there is a good Tropo effect in summer along east coast. Usually I get NYC Northern NJ, channels with tropo reception. I'm hoping this DB8E will pull in signals even further away. It looks promising. I had never picked up daytime tropo before installing it. I'll keep scanning away at night and see what I can get.

What antenna are you using? I have a neighbor up the street with a monster setup on his split level. I'm going to have to speak to him about his equipment and reception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7392 Old 08-15-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachusteacher View Post
This has got to be great location for reception. That little flatwave 6550 amped is a beast for its size. According to TVfool i am in a dead spot for Providence area channels. I occasionally will pick up WNAC out of Providence area on good summer nights with Antenna pointed in other direction.

From what I have read on the subject, there is a good Tropo effect in summer along east coast. Usually I get NYC Northern NJ, channels with tropo reception. I'm hoping this DB8E will pull in signals even further away. It looks promising. I had never picked up daytime tropo before installing it. I'll keep scanning away at night and see what I can get.

What antenna are you using? I have a neighbor up the street with a monster setup on his split level. I'm going to have to speak to him about his equipment and reception.
Wow, I would not have guessed it for its size. I have a Clearstream 2v. I'm hoping that if I end up moving towards the center of the state that I'll get everything (WTNH, WTIC, WVIT, WFSB, WEDH, WCCT) reliably. If not, or if I end up somewhere else, I'll get a bigger antenna or antennas. If I have to upgrade though, I'm going straight to the DB8e and Clearstream 5 assuming that I don't have to comply with OTARD, as I think the DB8e is slightly larger than what's protected in a condo/apartment situation.
post #7383 of 7392 Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't believe their is any size restriction on a TV antenna. The size limitation is called out by the FCC only for satellite dishes.
John

post #7384 of 7392 Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post
I don't believe their is any size restriction on a TV antenna. The size limitation is called out by the FCC only for satellite dishes.
John
If the HOA bans satellite dishes/antennas, the OTARD rules apply to all antennas, be they satellite, OTA, or fixed wireless. OTARD protects up to 1m. CT doesn't have too many HOAs for SFUs, so it's mostly MDU types of situations.
post #7385 of 7392 Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

See https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tellite-dishes

Three types of antennas are protected Sat dishes, wireless cable, and TV antennas. Only the first two have a size restriction. Other types of antennas can be completely banned.
John
post #7386 of 7392 Old 08-16-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The FCC protects a TV antenna install for up to 12 feet above the roofline.
post #7387 of 7392 Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 12 foot above the roof rule makes approval pretty much a no brainer but it is not a hard and fast rule.
See http://www.wba-law.com/Unique_Practi..._Associations/ section 3.2
post #7388 of 7392 Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post
See https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tellite-dishes

Three types of antennas are protected Sat dishes, wireless cable, and TV antennas. Only the first two have a size restriction. Other types of antennas can be completely banned.
John
Good catch! Any OTA TV antenna is indeed protected. OTARD is actually very well written, and is an example of a federal regulation that is simple, easy to understand, and achieves its goal as much as reasonably possible.
post #7389 of 7392 Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
I found out my Smartphone does not have a Magnetic sensor in it! Does anyone know of a good Compass App. that would tell me where West 281, West 280, West North West 290 & South South East 138 are? Also what do the numbers stand for next to the direction the Station is in? Also does anyone know of a good Antenna Pointing App with Compass? Write back.

Thanks,
Varian
post #7390 of 7392 Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Hi guys. Just put up a second antenna on my roof pointed to CT, but I live on Long island. Reason being is my9 is tough to get from NYC. I happily enjoyed the "bonus" preseason football game on wctx. Do they normally broadcast football games? Or was it just preseason? Thanks.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #7391 of 7392 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varian38 View Post
Hi,
I found out my Smartphone does not have a Magnetic sensor in it! Does anyone know of a good Compass App. that would tell me where West 281, West 280, West North West 290 & South South East 138 are? Also what do the numbers stand for next to the direction the Station is in? Also does anyone know of a good Antenna Pointing App with Compass? Write back.
I use the signal strength to dial in the stations, which is much more useful than their location, since there may be obstacles or multipath involved. That being said, you could use an actual compass? I've also used Google Maps to give me the general direction relative to the sides of buildings.
post #7392 of 7392 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also recommend a real compass.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-...mpass/34609087
To answer the question about numbers next to the direction you should provide a link to what you are looking at.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page