Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 7107 Old 11-06-2003, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panda - ome more thing. Before buying an antenna, I would go to antennaweb.com and plug in your zip code. They will tell you what color code your antenna should be. Radio shack uses these color codes. I don't know if Channelmaster does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 7107 Old 11-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

shumi, yes I use it for WTHN, but dont forget the real channel is 10, so it passes only channel 10 on and combines it with the full range Terk. (it also blocks channel 10 from the terk so you do not get ghosting). Works very well. I wish they made one so I could do the same for UPN out of NH. For some reason they do not, they do UHF in ranges, and of course the hartford stations fall within that range...too bad.

Still no WFSB on my Mits since last Thursday....They did something and did not return my calls (not surprised there)
post #63 of 7107 Old 11-07-2003, 01:35 PM

I'm really new to Comcast digital, much less HD. I got HD about 2 weeks ago and I find I get frequent breakups with digital artifacts on just about all content. InHD and InHD2 may be a little better, certainly their programming is well shot.
In any case, are these problems with Comcast HD normal or is it something worth calling them about? I have a really clean cabling setup with 1 continuous cable running 20 feet from the junction box to my tuner (Moto 5100, no DVI yet).
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken
post #64 of 7107 Old 11-07-2003, 01:40 PM

Anybody in Connecticut have a working DVI on a Comcast Motorola 5100 yet?

If not, any idea when?
post #65 of 7107 Old 11-07-2003, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenc3dan_av
I'm really new to Comcast digital, much less HD. I got HD about 2 weeks ago and I find I get frequent breakups with digital artifacts on just about all content. InHD and InHD2 may be a little better, certainly their programming is well shot.
In any case, are these problems with Comcast HD normal or is it something worth calling them about? I have a really clean cabling setup with 1 continuous cable running 20 feet from the junction box to my tuner (Moto 5100, no DVI yet).
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

I've had HD through Comcast for about 2 months now without any problems.

Actually I did have one issue, after they installed the HD, my cable modem went out. If your problems are that frequent I'd definitely give them a ring and see what they say. Good luck!
post #66 of 7107 Old 11-08-2003, 04:59 PM

i just received hd from comcast in branford and am crushed to find im not getting fox/cbs/upn/abc all i get is 720 nbc!

am i missing something?
post #67 of 7107 Old 11-08-2003, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jamesdouglas
i just received hd from comcast in branford and am crushed to find im not getting fox/cbs/upn/abc all i get is 720 nbc!

am i missing something?

Didn't you look at Comcast's site

Don't forget ESPN-HD (3 HD shows a week)
HBO
SHOWTIME
INHD1 & 2 (Clockwork Orange was awesome last night)

Also Fox isn't HD yet...but I can't wait to get CBS and ABC as well.
post #68 of 7107 Old 11-09-2003, 11:21 PM

I've got Comcast Hartford coming out tomorrow to check out my stuttering, blocky digital cable and HD.
post #69 of 7107 Old 11-10-2003, 12:24 PM

For a variety of reasons I've posted previously on this thread, I'm seriously considering mounting a Channel Master 4228 with rotator in my attic (with possible pre-amp also). I've been to antennaweb.org and looked at all the information there. All of the DT channels in CT that I'm interested in are in the UHF range except WTNH, which is broadcasting OTA on channel 10, which is VHF.

My question is whether anyone using a CM 4228 in CT is able to pick up WTNH on channel 10 even though it's a UHF antenna? I've read elsewhere on the forum that this antenna is good down to something like channel 9 or 8, but I'd like to confirm it if possible.

By the way, I'm getting WTNH now on rabbit ears, so signal strength should not be an issue.

Thanks

Chris

Chris
post #70 of 7107 Old 11-10-2003, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not having CSI and football in HD is hurting me . Wish Comcast would get on the ball.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #71 of 7107 Old 11-10-2003, 04:41 PM

CHDinCT,

I am using a CM 4228 with CM 7777 pre amp and pick up WTNH with it at about 90-95 on meter in Milford. Hope that helps!!!

scottte
post #72 of 7107 Old 11-10-2003, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone know what QAM channels are and are not encrypted?

post #73 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
Not having CSI and football in HD is hurting me . Wish Comcast would get on the ball.

The football is what I'm looking for. I just got something in the mail from Comcast talking about 3 months of Digital Cable for $9 /month. If they added CBS to their lineup, I'd take them up on that offer. It would cover the football and basketball seasons nicely. How much additional is HD through Comcast? I could never go with them permanently though because I couldn't give up my DirecTivo.
post #74 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CHDinCT
For a variety of reasons I've posted previously on this thread, I'm seriously considering mounting a Channel Master 4228 with rotator in my attic (with possible pre-amp also). I've been to antennaweb.org and looked at all the information there. All of the DT channels in CT that I'm interested in are in the UHF range except WTNH, which is broadcasting OTA on channel 10, which is VHF.

My question is whether anyone using a CM 4228 in CT is able to pick up WTNH on channel 10 even though it's a UHF antenna? I've read elsewhere on the forum that this antenna is good down to something like channel 9 or 8, but I'd like to confirm it if possible.

By the way, I'm getting WTNH now on rabbit ears, so signal strength should not be an issue.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I just tried a ChannelMaster 4221 (the four bay model) with no amplifier on my roof here in Cromwell, and I was able to get a very watchable signal. With the bigger CM and a rotor, I don't think you should have a problem.
post #75 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 11:19 AM

Comcast Hartford service came out yesterday and gave me a new 'better' splitter. I have one cable coming in to the house split to my tuner and cable modem. Still getting blocky artifacts on the digital channels (especially 'toons) and periodic pixelization zaps on the HDTV channels. This happens on scene transitions and cuts on the animation channels and every couple of minutes on the HDTV channels. You'd think animation would compress more easily than anything, it's all line work and solid colors but these channels seems to be the worst sufferers from compression artifacts. I have no idea what's up with the HD unless they are getting weak feeds or skimping on bandwidth somehow. Looks like I'll be switching to satellite unless they can fix this - I have a Thursday Oct 13th appointment.
post #76 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

I just got an email response from WCTX-DT programming stating that they will not be broadcasting "true HD" until January or February.
post #77 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 01:21 PM

scottte and jake14mw,

Thanks for confirming that the CM 4221 or 4228 should work for WTNH. I was pretty sure if would but getting confirmation helps since most of the places that sell antennas don't allow returns, or at least charge restocking fees.

Chris

Chris
post #78 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AreBee
I just got an email response from WCTX-DT programming stating that they will not be broadcasting "true HD" until January or February.

AreBee,

What was your original question to WTNH? I wonder if this has anything to do with them rearranging the content on their sub-channels recently. I no longer get 8-3 or the radar image on 8-2. Also, last night's MNF telecast looked like HD to me, but I did experience a lot more dropouts than other nights. Their HD telecasts were working fine for me until these latest changes.

Chris

Chris
post #79 of 7107 Old 11-11-2003, 04:48 PM

Sometime last week WTNH made a change. Prior to the change, for SD programs, they were broadcasting a digital stretched and cropped signal on 8-1. The radar loop on 8-2 and a sports ticker on 8-3. Now they are broadcasting a progressive scan uncropped and unstretched signal for SD programs. This shows up on 8-1, 2,&3. Their HD broadcasts remain unchanged
post #80 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What was your original question to WTNH? I wonder if this has anything to do with them rearranging the content on their sub-channels recently.

My original question was to WTNH in regards to WCTX and their ability to broadcast Enterprise and Jake 2.0 in HD. Both are Lin stations and WTNH usually responds promptly to inquires. After not receiving a reply from WCTX, I went to WTNH who responded that day to say no HD for a while. This was mid October. WCTX got back to me Monday, allmost a month after my original question with the same answer although they cited money as the reason for the delay.

Quote:

Also, last night's MNF telecast looked like HD to me, but I did experience a lot more dropouts than other nights.

MNF was horrible this week. Audio dropouts, pixellization etc. were rampant and I had a 100 signal. Turns out it was countrywide though and not exclusive to WTNH.

Ralph
post #81 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey, at least Comcast is going to give us OnDemand stations soon....

Seriously though, I am very hopeful that we'll get the new 5100 boxes here in Groton/Mystic. Would love to have DVI out someday. I am annoyed by the lack of major braodcast HD, but what can you do. Sadly I am too far from any broadcasts here to even consider an antenna.

-MP

post #82 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Per the guys at Fox 61:

"We just got our construction permit from the FCC. We hope to have a
digital signal early next year."

Great, a year after that or so maybe Comcast will actually pick up the feed.

post #83 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jake14mw
The football is what I'm looking for. I just got something in the mail from Comcast talking about 3 months of Digital Cable for $9 /month. If they added CBS to their lineup, I'd take them up on that offer. It would cover the football and basketball seasons nicely. How much additional is HD through Comcast? I could never go with them permanently though because I couldn't give up my DirecTivo.

Jake, my bill went up by ~$2, the difference in the rental price for the STB.
post #84 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Regarding WTNH's latest change with their digital channel, I couldn't be happier about it!

I have gone out of my way to call and e-mail everyone that I know in the station's engineering department letting them know how happy I was with quality of the picture and the ease of receiving the OTA signal now that there are no multi-casting issues. The difference is night and day. I love the no stretch and full bandwidth. If you are happy with these changes, please let Francine Du Verger (Director of Engineering) know by e-mailing her at: francine.duverger@wtnh.com

They also told me that they are taking the old HD equipment from WTNH, wipe in clean and reconfigure it for WCTX. By the end of January 2004 was what thy were shooting for.

Also, in the first quarter of 2004 WTNH plans to make a "significant increase" in their OTA transmission power. Now we just need the other networks in Connecticut to step up to the plate.
post #85 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 09:47 AM

I can no longer get WTNH.....there is signal but no programming showing up on 8.1, 8.2 or 8.3 on my Samsung TS-160.

If I reprogram my TS-160 and tell it there is no Satellite dish and to use OTA only, I can manually dial in 10.1, or do a channel search and add it to my OTA channel list and get WTNH back again, as long as I stay in OTA only mode with the Samsung....however, I soon as change the TS-160 back to add a SAT dish, it checks my zip code, downloads the up to date PSIP information, deletes 10.1 and only allows me to select 8.1, .2 or .3 again, which are now not showing any programming. If I try to manually select 10.1 it cames back and says channel not available (basically it doesn't think it is a valid digital OTA channel).

Until WTNH starts sending updated PSIP information to the Sat company and delete the remapping to 8.1, I am dead in the water.

Vix
post #86 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Tele-media Cable in CT is starting their HD service around Thanksgiving 2003 and the details are starting to come in. Please post all information regarding Tele-Media's HD service here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=314315
post #87 of 7107 Old 11-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Any news if COX in CT will pick up locals like Comcast? Also anyone in CT with comcast, are they encrypted? Can my QAM tuner in my Mits TV tune them in without a cable box?
post #88 of 7107 Old 11-13-2003, 09:32 AM

Ok...I now get WTNH...it has moved to 8.2, it is mapped in my TS-160 and I am now good to go, picking it up at 77% with a good picture.

I do miss the channel 8.3 doppler radar.

Vix
post #89 of 7107 Old 11-13-2003, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
Per the guys at Fox 61:

"We just got our construction permit from the FCC. We hope to have a
digital signal early next year."

Great, a year after that or so maybe Comcast will actually pick up the feed.

Such posted info previously that he heard Dec 1. Early next year, great, that kills the football season. . I wonder if that has any affect on WVIT's date to go digital.
post #90 of 7107 Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BillN96
Regarding WTNH's latest change with their digital channel, I couldn't be happier about it!

I have gone out of my way to call and e-mail everyone that I know in the station's engineering department letting them know how happy I was with quality of the picture and the ease of receiving the OTA signal now that there are no multi-casting issues. The difference is night and day. I love the no stretch and full bandwidth. If you are happy with these changes, please let Francine Du Verger (Director of Engineering) know by e-mailing her at: francine.duverger@wtnh.com

They also told me that they are taking the old HD equipment from WTNH, wipe in clean and reconfigure it for WCTX. By the end of January 2004 was what thy were shooting for.

Also, in the first quarter of 2004 WTNH plans to make a "significant increase" in their OTA transmission power. Now we just need the other networks in Connecticut to step up to the plate.

Bill,

For those of us who are just starting to get into this, could you elaborate on what the changes were? It sounds like that previously, when they were upconverting a standard definition image they were stretching it to 16x9? I can see how if they stopped that it would make you happy. Also, can anyone explain to me what the 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 means versus receiving the signal on channel 10? I really don't understand that whole thing. I know that having the live radar image on one of those channels was a nice thing to have.

Lastly, WTNH increasing their transmission power is good news but ironic. Their signal seems to be the strongest of anyone.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page