Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7115 Old 11-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Also, can anyone explain to me what the 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 means versus receiving the signal on channel 10.

Jake,

WTNH is digital Channel 10-1. Upon inputting "10-1" on your remote, your set top box should "remap" the channel to 8-1. That helps people more easily identify the digital channel with their analog channel 8. From then on, your box should recognize 8-1 from then on out. Other examples are 33-1 remaps to 3-3 (WFSB), 39-1 remaps to 59-1 (WCTX) 12-1 remaps to 20-1 (WTXX). After the channels remap, they'll be right next to their analog counterparts as you scroll through the channels. Digital channels always have a "-". 3-3, 8-1, 59-1 etc. If you type in 10, you're going to get analog 10. I hope that helps.

On a related note, I checked WTNH yesterday evening and 8-1, 8-2 and 8-3 were all showing the same thing which at the time was a 4:3 picture with black bars. This was an SD show. I didn't get to check actual HD programming though, as my power went out shortly after.

Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7115 Old 11-14-2003, 06:23 AM

There's lots of strange remapping stuff going on right now. I have three HD tuners and they all act differently (Mits SR-HD5, Sammy TS160, and HiPix).

I'm no longer getting a signal on my HiPix on 33-3/3-3, HD material for WFSB is only viewable on 33-1/3-1 (screws up my programming for my Hd Recording HiPix), wondering if I need to change all my scheduled recordings. My Mits and Sammy tuners see programming on both the .1 and .3 subchannels.

My Mits gets WTNH on 10-1/8-1, but my HiPix only sees programming on 10-2/8-2 (that was 2 days ago when I checked). My Sammy only sees 8-2 also.

The only other channel I watch regularly is WWLP 11-1&3/22-1&3, that's unchanged on all my STB's and my HiPix.

These stations are driving me nuts...................

If you are listening:
Just put all your programming on one damn subchannel, push it at 480i for SD stuff and 1080i/720P for HD stuff & let the viewer decide if they want to stretch the SD or view it with black bars. Ditch the subchannel simulcast, put up the doppler feed of you want to use a little bandwidth, though I don't like to give it up off the HD feed.

It's always been an issue to me, find me one person anywhere in the country who has the ability to pull in a digital OTA station who does not have an HD set. Why the hell are you simulcasting the same stuff on two subchannels!!!!!!!!
post #93 of 7115 Old 11-14-2003, 08:38 AM

I think the 480P picture that WTNH is now broadcasting lookes better than the 480i picture that they used to broadcast. When they broadcast HD they never have anything on the subchannels. Maybe with the switch to 480p for SD channels means they can't broadcast the radar loop. I can tell the signal is progressive on my MITS TV because it has narrower sidebars than 480i SD has.
post #94 of 7115 Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 PM

my tivo told me "a lineup change has occurred"! and it told me that Comcast New Haven was adding wtnh-dt. It dont say when but it does say it is going to happen!!!

FARSCAPE SHALL RISE AGAIN!!
post #95 of 7115 Old 11-14-2003, 03:28 PM

I noticed the other night that some HD shows on WTNH did not look like HD and were boxed instead of stretched just like an SD commercial.

Anyone else see this. I think it was during Karen Sysco.
post #96 of 7115 Old 11-15-2003, 04:28 AM

Did notice the same thing. WTNH probably may not be able to broadcast the radar loop if they are sending 480P SD feed, but it should not be a bandwidth issue, more likely an equipment issue.

WFSB is doing what I requested above, they are not simulcasting SD feeds while an HD broadcast is running. I noticed something interesting yesterday with their audio. I had been listening to some music and left my receiver in 8 channel stereo mode. In that mode, the audio issue with WFSB really wasn't there. Their volume was similar to all other stations. After I noticed the audio mode & changed it back to a Surround mode, the audio was very low again. No expert in this area, but I'm wondering if somehow they are sending some weird Dolby Surround? Or not sending it at all & therefore we get center channel only.

FYI, talked with Fox61 last yesterday. They are not saying the end of December for their tower. Bummer...........
post #97 of 7115 Old 11-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI, talked with Fox61 last yesterday. They are not saying the end of December for their tower. Bummer...........

Damn, my goal is to see some part of 24 in something other than analog. I have more trouble with the reception of analog 61 than any other station. It never really comes in 100% clear. It always has ghosts and it is affected even by the slightest bit of wind.

Anyone heard about WEDH PBS?
post #98 of 7115 Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 AM

WEDN (Norwich)and WEDY(Waterbury) are broadcasting, but they are mostly HDTV demonstration loops and "Smart Travels". I have not heard about WEDH. I don't understand why WEDN and WEDY can't start broadcasting some of the national PBS feeds that WGBH out of Boston does.
post #99 of 7115 Old 11-17-2003, 12:24 PM

On the Comcast website, the channel lineup for my area (Madison CT) now includes 307 ABC HD -- WTNH. However, ch 307 won't tune in on my box yet.

Has anyone heard anything further about WFSB HD coming to Comcast?
post #100 of 7115 Old 11-18-2003, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WEDN (Norwich)and WEDY(Waterbury) are broadcasting, but they are mostly HDTV demonstration loops and "Smart Travels". I have not heard about WEDH.

I know that WEDH's antenna is going to be part of the "candelabra" that is still not completed, (it will also have the antennae of WTXX-DT and WTIC-DT), but I haven't heard a thing from WEDH in regards to equipment status.

I have been having so much trouble with WGBY Springfield since the spring and I only pick up a blip on WEDN.
post #101 of 7115 Old 11-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by eorcman
WEDN (Norwich)and WEDY(Waterbury) are broadcasting, but they are mostly HDTV demonstration loops and "Smart Travels". I have not heard about WEDH. I don't understand why WEDN and WEDY can't start broadcasting some of the national PBS feeds that WGBH out of Boston does.

I thought WEDY was the New Haven channel.
Chip

Chip
post #102 of 7115 Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 AM

There seem to be enough of us on now receiving digital signals here in Ct., that we should be making noise to some of our local stations. Namely WTIC,WFSB,WVIT, and CPTV. All of these stations seem to me to be dragging their feet. WFSB has been broadcasting for a long time at reduced power. Many of us away from the Hartford area cannot receive it. All of these stations missed the mandantory dates to start broadcasting. I realize there is very little incentive to do so, but we still should complain. Here are a few links to feed back to our local stations:

CPTV (PBS)- http://www.cpbi.org/CPBIContactUs.asp

WTIC (FOX)- http://fox61.trb.com/about/site/feedback/?track=nav

WVIT (NBC)- http://www.nbc30.com/contact/

WFSB (CBS)- http://www.wfsb.com/Global/category.asp?C=8354&nav=1VGl

All of these stations have been very slow in moving to digital TV and HDTV. They all have excuses but they are just that. Some like WVIT are already providing HDTV signals to Comcast but not broadcasting them. I am not expecting local HDTV content. No UCONN games on HDTV. But I am expecting them to carry national feeds.

We should also thank WTNH and WTXX for being the real leaders in digital TV in Ct.

WTNH (ABC)- http://www.wtnh.com/Global/category.asp?C=1168&nav=0Rde

WTXX (UPN)- http://wb20.trb.com/

Maybe if enough of us complain, some of these local stations will realize that there are people actually watching and they will start to do something.
post #103 of 7115 Old 11-21-2003, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Lots of dropouts last night on WFSB-DT. 100 signal never wavered., but was a little windy though.
post #104 of 7115 Old 11-21-2003, 06:27 AM

wcbs out of nyc was the same, showed 100 (which I never really get!) but no picture around 8:30 pm or so.....
post #105 of 7115 Old 11-26-2003, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Horrible WTNH lip-synch issue last night during NYPD Blue. Audio behind by almost two seconds.

anyone else see this?
post #106 of 7115 Old 11-26-2003, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AreBee
Horrible WTNH lip-synch issue last night during NYPD Blue. Audio behind by almost two seconds.

anyone else see this?

Hi Ralph:

Yep. Same thing here in beautiful Newington. It seemed more like 3 seconds though. But I love "Blue" so much, and it always looks so good in native 720P, that I put up with it. It also reverted to SDTV a few times and only stereo, and not 5.1.

On a different note, I'll finally be heading to Signal Electronics on Friday, if they're open, to pick up my HDTV antenna setup. Their business hours are no Saturdays, and they're only usually open while I'm at work. So I'm hoping that Friday's the day.

Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes...."

Front Projection Home Theater since 1979.

Click here to see my Home Theater "Corvette Cinema"
post #107 of 7115 Old 11-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Good Luck Bob! I hope your antenna install goes well. I had an old guy in his 70s with glasses wait on me and he took care of me pretty well. Gave me a good deal.

Still getting the Celts blacked out? Look on the bright side, they've been unwatchable so far!

Take care,

Ralph
post #108 of 7115 Old 11-26-2003, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bob,

Be sure to let us know how your antenna install goes. Hopefully, you will have more luck than I am having over in Cromwell. A large hill not far from my house seems to be killing my ability to get signals from the main two towers.

Mark
post #109 of 7115 Old 11-26-2003, 01:28 PM

Anybody have any good word on WTIC and WVIT going live on Rattlesnake mountain??? December??? January??? Or even later????

Any body with any good inside info appreciated!!

Scottte
post #110 of 7115 Old 11-27-2003, 03:45 AM

WTIC is in progress, target is late December.
post #111 of 7115 Old 11-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I got out of work early on Wednesday, and I stopped at Signal Electronics in West Hartford on the way home.

They were helpful and I bought the exact same equipment, a Winegard PR-7015 UHF/VHF antenna and a 9521 Channel Master Rotator, as AreBee in Farmington has. As my new setup is mounted on an un-used chimney above my theater, I also bought a tripod mount, two 5' masts, and 100 feet of rotor cable. Total cost was just under $150.00. (exactly $149.87)

I installed everything yesterday, on Thanksgiving Day. Perfect weather for the job. It was straight forward and easy. We ain't talking Rocket Surgery here.

The reception numbers are somewhat disappointing:

Station -------------- Signal
WFSB - 33 ----------- ZERO
WGBY - 58 ----------- ZERO
WWLP - 11 ----------- 72%
WTNH - 10 ----------- 88%
WTXX - 12 ----------- 90%
WCTX - 39 ----------- 60%

On second thought, I guess the numbers are pretty good. The only disappointing part is not being able to get WFSB and WGBY AT ALL.

WFSB would TRY to hit and lock on different rotator azimuth settings, but it would bump to say 55%, then zero, then 55% again. But it would never lock.

I tried to hit it at EXACTLY the correct azimuth setting from my house, 348 degrees, but I'm not sure how to get my antenna/rotator aligned EXACTLY with the percise degree setting. I used a compass, but it is still a guesstimate sort of when you're 30 feet above ground. I tried to hit it at EVERY azimuth setting. Nutin' Honey.

I will post some pics over the weekend of the antenna setup.

So again, having the exact same equipment setup as AreBee has in Farmington, I did not duplicate his great reception results. If anything, I was hoping to at least match his great reception, as my rig is roof mounted, with the PR-7015 approximately 30 feet above ground level, and his setup is attic mounted. I just logically figured that a roof mount would give better reception than an attic mount. But, it did not work out that way.

And I am glad that I did buy this setup, and I hereby publicly thank Ralph (AreBee) for his input on his gear and setup. I LOVE the Channel Master Rotator with the remote so one can pre-set the station locations. So cool.

But I guess Digital TV signal reception is like Real Estate value: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, is everything.

So while I don't feel that I flushed the 150 smackers down the toilet, I am pissed that I cannot receive WFSB or WGBY AT ALL.

But hopefully I'll be all set when WFSB goes full-power, and the others finally go on-line.

Bob Sliwa

post #112 of 7115 Old 11-28-2003, 07:17 AM

Try adding a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp and you will get much better results. Signal will take it back if it does not work.
post #113 of 7115 Old 11-28-2003, 09:12 AM

Bob - Do you get decent signals on the analog side?
post #114 of 7115 Old 11-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Such
Try adding a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp and you will get much better results. Signal will take it back if it does not work.

More $$$ to make the damn thing work right??

What does that thing cost?

Quote:

Bob - Do you get decent signals on the analog side?

My Dish 6000 receiver doesn't tell me the signal strength of analog signals. Channels 3 and 61 are somewhat watchable if I play with the rotor. Not really interested in watching anything on analog though.

Bob Sliwa

post #115 of 7115 Old 11-28-2003, 04:42 PM

I have the same situation with Ch 3. I get a decent analog picture but I cannot get a digital picture. It only registers 15 on the signal strength meter. Makes you wonder how they expect people to get OTA HDTV!
post #116 of 7115 Old 11-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the same situation with Ch 3. I get a decent analog picture but I cannot get a digital picture. It only registers 15 on the signal strength meter. Makes you wonder how they expect people to get OTA HDTV!

I pick up WFSB most of the time here in Cheshire. The signal is usually
marginal, though, just barely enough to come in.

Chip
post #117 of 7115 Old 11-29-2003, 10:39 AM

I live in Springfield (downtown area) and I get WFSB at a constant signal of about 75. It's been rock solid for months and at least when I'm watching I get no drop outs. I cant remember the ant I'm using but it's the cheapest of cheap. I will get the name of it and post it later. I also get no reception of WSFB analog, kinda strange how it works.

X-Box 360 Gamer Tag
Red Dawn
post #118 of 7115 Old 11-29-2003, 02:40 PM

Bob - I have a channel master preamp. I could not get reception without a preamp. I bought a Radio Shack preamp but I took it back after people here on the AVS forum advised me that Radio Shack preamps are noisy. I called Signal Electronics but they would have to order the CM7777. I went to Lowe's and bought a CM preamp with slightly less gain. I think the cost was $49.00. It made all the difference in the world.

Pete
post #119 of 7115 Old 11-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bob - I have a channel master preamp. I could not get reception without a preamp. I bought a Radio Shack preamp but I took it back after people here on the AVS forum advised me that Radio Shack preamps are noisy. I called Signal Electronics but they would have to order the CM7777. I went to Lowe's and bought a CM preamp with slightly less gain. I think the cost was $49.00. It made all the difference in the world.

Pete

I tried a RS 15-1170 and a CM 3042. I got less signal with
them then without! Am I doing something wrong???

Chip
post #120 of 7115 Old 11-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry you couldn't nail WFSB. WGBY has been awful for me lately. I don't think I pulled it in without dropouts since March.

The CM rotor is awesome! I'm programming macros for each channel so I will change the channel and antenna position with one key stroke.

I didn't mess so much with actual azimuth. I pretty much rotated the antenna 360 degrees for each channel and memorized the position of greatest signal strength.

I know that these things seem like money pits at times, but if the amplifier works, you won't regret it. As Such said, Signal will take it back. You've got nothing to lose. another place that has them is www.starkelectronic.com for $62. They get a lot of praise on the forums.

Ralph
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page