Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7120 Old 12-17-2003, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Hartford/New Haven channels are probably going to be on either the Dish satellite at 110 or 119 degrees West because they will be able to be received with the Dish 500. The next local market that was announced after Hartford/New Haven will require customers to get the new oval-shaped "SuperDish" which can "see" more than those two satellites.

These are the stations included: WFSB-3, WTNH-8, WVIT-30, WTIC-61, WTXX-20, WCTX-59, WEDH-24, WUVN-18. No mention of PAX affiliate WHPX-26 New London.

These locals-by-satellite will be available to Dish Network subscribers in 7 CT counties: Litchfield, Tolland, Windham, New London, Middlesex, Hartford, and New Haven. No mention of Fairfield County.

I heard WTIC Radio's Ray Dunaway mention on his program Tuesday morning (12/16) that Channel 30 had turned off the aircraft warning lights on its Rattlesnake Mountain tower. Presumably this means that work is continuing on adding digital broadcasting capability to the structure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7120 Old 12-17-2003, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No superbowl in HD for me.. I got two e-mails back from WFSB about their upgrade to full power.

From Chief Engineer Victor Zarrilli,
"We are looking at the early part of next year to be complete" He also mentioned that the weather will play a factor in the completion date

Also from Mark Gordon,

"While there is no exact date, we hope to go to full power Spring 2004."

I sent back a response expressing my disappointment. More bad news all of the time. Anyone heard from WVIT?
post #183 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

That's really, really bad news . Comcast finally added our ABC affiliate in HD here in Mystic, so all I am missing is CBS and Fox. My two football channels

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #184 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 06:27 AM

Did something happen to channels 49 & 59 as I seem to have stopped receiving them?
post #185 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Madpoet,
I can get WPRI-DT (CBS Providence) on an outdor antenna in Mystic. Also had been getting WTCX-DT pretty well but lost it about a week ago. John
post #186 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 08:12 AM

I'm a Cablevision customer in New Canaan, CT and I just found that the following have been activated on my cablebox as of this week:

ShowtimeHD
HBOHD
StarzHD
INHD
MSGHD
Fox Digital

Previously (last week), I only had PBS HD and CBS HD.

I would like to know if any other Cablevision CT customers got a SA4200HD box with a DVI out? I have component only and was told by the installer that Cablevision didn't want to give out the version with the DVI port.

Marc

(Sony KLV30XBR900)
post #187 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Really? Hrm... I might have to ask my landlord if I can stick up a mast, since I rent my house. Can I ask what you're using? Thankfully my Hitachi has a built-in tuner, since I sold my MyHD120 when I moved to Mystic.

post #188 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 06:40 PM

Why would Comcast have different deals in different areas of CT? Why do I have to hear that WCBS is on in HD in some ct areas and not mine? It is not a local thing--Comcast routinely pumps NY stations into New Haven and surrounding areas. If WFSB is gonna be a bunch of disagreeable ,rotten shi-heads, I'd be more than happy to watch CSI + the NFL on WCBS New York!!

FARSCAPE SHALL RISE AGAIN!!
post #189 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 07:41 PM

For what it's worth, i was on the phone with comcast today and they told me CBS and Fox will be added on either the Jan1 or Jan4th. Wasn't quite sure of the date. Let's hope so!

Quote:

Originally posted by mattro
Why would Comcast have different deals in different areas of CT? Why do I have to hear that WCBS is on in HD in some ct areas and not mine? It is not a local thing--Comcast routinely pumps NY stations into New Haven and surrounding areas. If WFSB is gonna be a bunch of disagreeable ,rotten shi-heads, I'd be more than happy to watch CSI + the NFL on WCBS New York!!

post #190 of 7120 Old 12-18-2003, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

That would make my New Years

post #191 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Madpoet,
A moderately large outside antenna works 95% of the time where I am. WPRI is not too strong so yur exact location mattrs a lot. John
post #192 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

If they do add CBS and Fox in January, then that will be fine for me. I don't want to deal with my landlord and an antenna. Plus I already pay a fortune for Comcast

post #193 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 06:05 AM

Anyone else have a message this morning on their Comcast receiver saying that CBS HD (KREM) is available on 102? I tried to access that station and didn't see anything.

Also, I have not been able to Acess INHD1, or INH2 for the last two days. Anyone else have this problem?
post #194 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not I... where are you?

post #195 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 07:14 AM

Windosr Locks Area.... Anyone else?
post #196 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mfino
Anyone else have a message this morning on their Comcast receiver saying that CBS HD (KREM) is available on 102? I tried to access that station and didn't see anything.

Also, I have not been able to Acess INHD1, or INH2 for the last two days. Anyone else have this problem?

I got the same message, but I have no channel 102. On top of that, all my HD channels are in the 300's (New Britain). So I don't understand why Comcast would put CBS all the way down in the 100's. I'm assuming they sent the message out to everyone regardless if it really applies to them

Both INHD's work fine for me.
post #197 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 07:20 AM

I just got off the phone with Comcast. The CSR told me that message was sent in error. It was meant for their Spokane, WA area. Bummer... No word from them as to the date or time for WFSB or WTIC coming online...
post #198 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 07:25 AM

Lovely. Man I really hope that the other CSR was correct in saying WFSB was coming in January...
post #199 of 7120 Old 12-19-2003, 07:25 AM

And to think, I was just starting to get excited...although if Comcast somehow does get us CBS and Fox's edtv by January I will be pretty impressed.
post #200 of 7120 Old 12-21-2003, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Viacom, (Owners of CBS), and Comcast just reached a new agreement for Comcast to carry CBS owned affiliates. The following is stolen from a post in the HD programming forum. Who is Channel 3 owned by?

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...ular&id=479551&

Viacom and Comcast Sign Multi-Year Affiliation Agreement
Deal Includes Long-term Carriage For Viacom Cable and Broadcast Television Properties and the Development of New Video-on-Demand Services

NEW YORK and PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B) and Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) today announced a multi-year agreement that provides for the long-term carriage of Viacom's cable television networks, for new video on demand (VOD) products for Comcast subscribers, and for analog and digital retransmission consent to Comcast systems for Viacom television stations.

The retransmission consent will make it possible for Comcast subscribers in CBS owned-and-operated markets to receive CBS's industry leading lineup of high definition television programming, including CBS's broadcast of Super Bowl XXXVIII on February 1, 2004.

Also, somebody else posted this market list. A lot of help to us since Hartford is not on the list!

Here's a list of areas where CBS should be carried on Comcast as a part of the newly announced deal:

New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco, CA
Boston, MA
Detroit, MI
Minneapolis, MN
Miami, FL
Denver, CO
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD
Salt Lake City, UT
Dallas, TX

Here's where Comcast already carries CBS HD:

Chicago, IL
Washington, DC
Atlanta, GA
Tampa, FL
Indianapolis, IN
Nashville, TN
Kansas City
Harrisburg, PA
Louisville, KY
Jacksonville
Little Rock, AR
Knoxville, TN
Huntsville, AL
Chattanooga, TN
Charleston, SC
Augusta
Salisbury, MD
Eugene, OR
Panama City, FL
Spokane, WA
Orlando, FL
Springfield, MA

Here's where Comcast does not currently offer CBS in HD nor are these areas part of the CBS/Viacom deal. CBS stations in this area are not owned by CBS and have not given Comcast their permision to be added to the cable system.

Seattle, WA
Cleveland, OH
Sacramento, CA
Portland, OR
Albuquerque, NM
Flint, MI
Ft. Myers, FL
Naples, FL
Richmond, VA
Tallahassee, FL
Fort Wayne, IN
Fresno, CA
post #201 of 7120 Old 12-21-2003, 07:08 AM

In that list, you forgot to add Hartford, CT, we don't get CBS-DT from Comcast, either!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
post #202 of 7120 Old 12-21-2003, 08:55 AM

I understand that: but WFSB-Dt is on Comcast in Springfield...why not Hartford?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
post #203 of 7120 Old 12-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I have not been able to get PBS since they stopped the "demo loop". Does anyone have any information as to where 49-1 (and 52-1) PBS went? Where did CPTV-DT go?
post #204 of 7120 Old 12-23-2003, 09:01 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast in Hartford has reached an agreement to put FSB HD on its local system and when that will be? Meredith Corporation has several other CBS affiliates and, from the comments in other threads, it doesn't appear any of them have made a deal with Comcast as yet. Neither Comcast nor FSB have responded to my inquiries. What a shame if we have to miss the playoffs and SB.
post #205 of 7120 Old 12-24-2003, 09:05 AM

Long Island Reception

Hello Connecticut. I live on the north shore of the north fork of Long Island. I have a pretty straight shot across the water of Long Island Sound. I'm about 1/2 mile from the water and am approximately 60-70 feet above the water, street level. I am hoping to put up an OTA antenna in my attic. I have a two story house with a huge attic. The house itself is the tallest around. So I don't think that I could have a better line 0' site from this side of the sound.

I currenty have Dish and am getting the 811 installed, hopefully, in the beginning of January. CBS, SuperBowl, should be covered as they are installing a second dish to receive CBS-HD. I would like to get ABC and NBC, OTA from you guys.

I have been to Antennaweb and it shows WTNH at 344 degrees and a yellow antenna type. My distance to the tower is 36 miles. What type of VHF antenna would be suggested in this case? 36 miles seems a bit far for a Silver Sensor type.

WVIT, New Britain, is at 1 degree, 51 miles. For this I was assuming a highly directional, yagi type. I am hoping that I won't lose too much gain inside my attic. I don't have any attic insulation where this would point, just plywood and cedar siding. WFSB is at 4 degrees, pretty much straight line with WVIT. I read here that they are operating at substantially reduced power at the time being. This is not so much of a problem as CBS should be available via the satellite.

If I get a dual VHF/UHF antenna and point it at 1-4 degrees will this kill my effort to receive the VHF station at 344 degrees? Would I have to get two antennas? One highly directional for the UHF and one for the closer, stronger powered VHF.

Thanks for any input.

Brad

The Evil Plan = (Dynasty + Empire) / at 40 Hz !
post #206 of 7120 Old 12-24-2003, 09:38 AM

Brad,

I am in Milford which is between New Haven and Bridgeport on the shore of Connecticut. I tried at first with a Channel Master 4228 with no rotator and learned very quickly the rotator is a must!!! Every day can present you with different weather and unseen atmospheric conditions that impact reception!! A rotation of just a few degrees can make the difference between HD ota joy and frustration!!!

With that said, there is still no WVIT and forget WFSB!!! I think they (WFSB) are broadcasting with the power supplied from a 75 watt lamp socket and WVIT is not broadcsting yet!!! You will most likely get WTNH with no problem, you are very close and they are very strong!!

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!!

scottte
post #207 of 7120 Old 12-24-2003, 09:41 AM

All of the stations you want to receive are within 20 degrees if each other. You may get by with a single antenna. I would try to line up with WTNH ABC. I don't hink you have any chance at WFSB until they increase power. WVIT is another issue and no one is sure when they are going to come on line. I am 43 miles from WTNH over varied terrain. For the most part, I get a watchable signal. I am 23 miles from WFSB, and can't receive a thing.

Pete
post #208 of 7120 Old 12-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mrjulius
Long Island Reception

What type of VHF antenna would be suggested in this case? 36 miles seems a bit far for a Silver Sensor type.

Silver Sensor is UHF only, so it shouldn't work with WTNH, as it's VHF.
post #209 of 7120 Old 12-26-2003, 01:47 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I went to Rad Shack today and spoke to a guy there that seemed to know about Long Island reception of the ABC station, WTNH. I ended up getting a VHF/UHF combo with a 40 degree reception arc. He said that I should have no problem at all with WTNH. The other stations may be a problem due to the current operating power and distance.

Another question popped up today. My RPTV, Mitsubishi WS 65819, only accepts HDTV resolutions of 480P and 1081I. I read that ABC broadcasts in 720P. My TV manual states that any signal in 720P must be converted by the STB/Receiver.

Does ABC, OTA, broadcast their hi/def signal in 720P?

Any additional advice or thoughts?

Thanks again,
Brad

BTW, The Rad Shack antenna is still in the box in case I'm SOL on the 720P thing.

The Evil Plan = (Dynasty + Empire) / at 40 Hz !
post #210 of 7120 Old 12-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
.Another question popped up today. My RPTV, Mitsubishi WS 65819, only accepts HDTV resolutions of 480P and 1081I. I read that ABC broadcasts in 720P. My TV manual states that any signal in 720P must be converted by the STB/Receiver.

Does ABC, OTA, broadcast their hi/def signal in 720P?

Any additional advice or thoughts?

Thanks again,
Brad [/b][/quote]

Yup, WTNH is 720P in HD, but your Mits will upconvert it to 1080i.

Chip
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page