South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #3811 of 3838 Old 10-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It can be hard to notice since it's happening at 60Hz, but if you get close and focus on the edges, it might be more noticeable if it's happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
It can be hard to notice since it's happening at 60Hz, but if you get close and focus on the edges, it might be more noticeable if it's happening.
Right now a movie is on called Heaven Can Wait. It is showing on CW 25 cropped in the 4x3 format. I verified the channel is still broadcasting 1080i 16x9 but I wouldn't expect that to change anyways. This made it easier to watch for any flashing along the edges. There wasn't any.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
post #3813 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

I forgot to note my 60" is set to 120 hz with the film mode set to standard. This appears to give my set the advantage of eliminating LCD blurring without the "soap opera effect."

post #3814 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I noticed earlier this year when first noticing this problem was that I didn't notice it during the daytime, but did notice it during typical primetime programming. Perhaps the different source is the culprit?

Although, it's possible your TV's film mode may have some impact on that, but I couldn't say as I don't know what model your TV is or what exactly that film mode does.
post #3815 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One thing I noticed earlier this year when first noticing this problem was that I didn't notice it during the daytime, but did notice it during typical primetime programming. Perhaps the different source is the culprit?

Although, it's possible your TV's film mode may have some impact on that, but I couldn't say as I don't know what model your TV is or what exactly that film mode does.
I have a 60" Sharp Aquos. I think film mode compensates for the soap opera effect by lowering to the 24 frame standard when in 120 hz mode. I may be wrong but I think what the TV is doing is interpretating more frames in the same space at 120 hz in what would be 1 frame at 60 hz. The advantage of doing this is to reduce or eliminate LCD blurring without the soap opera effect. However you can actually change film mode to get the soap opera effect back. The reason anyone would do that boils down to getting more realism during sports events.

post #3816 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post
I have a 60" Sharp Aquos. I think film mode compensates for the soap opera effect by lowering to the 24 frame standard when in 120 hz mode. I may be wrong but I think what the TV is doing is interpretating more frames in the same space at 120 hz in what would be 1 frame at 60 hz. The advantage of doing this is to reduce or eliminate LCD blurring without the soap opera effect. However you can actually change film mode to get the soap opera effect back. The reason anyone would do that boils down to getting more realism during sports events.

If it's processing the 1080i as 24fps, then yeah that's the same thing my TV is doing too, which is why you would see no interlace flickering.

And this is the TV you took the pictures from The Flash on, right?

If that's the case I'm going to need to find an antenna to test on my TV. If it really is Uverse, then it's happening specifically to that channel. Although I have seen this kind of problem on WSBT, it was only during specific TV programs (the late night shows, and it didn't affect the network logo) and the rest of their shows displayed properly, so I figured that was a problem with the production process of those shows.

If I don't get the problem with OTA, then the problem either lies in the signal between WCWW and AT&T, or AT&T is doing something to manipulate the signal. Either way I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3817 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it's processing the 1080i as 24fps, then yeah that's the same thing my TV is doing too, which is why you would see no interlace flickering.

And this is the TV you took the pictures from The Flash on, right?

If that's the case I'm going to need to find an antenna to test on my TV. If it really is Uverse, then it's happening specifically to that channel. Although I have seen this kind of problem on WSBT, it was only during specific TV programs (the late night shows, and it didn't affect the network logo) and the rest of their shows displayed properly, so I figured that was a problem with the production process of those shows.

If I don't get the problem with OTA, then the problem either lies in the signal between WCWW and AT&T, or AT&T is doing something to manipulate the signal. Either way I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Yes it is the same tv I took pictures of CW 25 on but the pics I took of the Flash was on Hulu. As for trying to catch prime time content, that's difficult for me as I work second shift during the week days. As for antenna, where are you located? If your close enough to CW 25, you don't need anything special. A crappie set of rabbit ears should do the trick.

post #3818 of 3838 Old 10-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post
Yes it is the same tv I took pictures of CW 25 on but the pics I took of the Flash was on Hulu. As for trying to catch prime time content, that's difficult for me as I work second shift during the week days. As for antenna, where are you located? If your close enough to CW 25, you don't need anything special. A crappie set of rabbit ears should do the trick.

Oh okay. Does The CW play any network content on the weekends like repeats of some of the shows during the week or anything maybe? Because yeah I was mostly noticing the problem on network content, which to me definitely seemed to suggest it was a problem with how CW25 handled the network signal.

I'm not that close to CW25 but even if I can just pick up a few seconds of signal at a time it should be more than enough. I just don't know if I have any antennas laying around anywhere lol.

post #3819 of 3838 Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh okay. Does The CW play any network content on the weekends like repeats of some of the shows during the week or anything maybe? Because yeah I was mostly noticing the problem on network content, which to me definitely seemed to suggest it was a problem with how CW25 handled the network signal.

I'm not that close to CW25 but even if I can just pick up a few seconds of signal at a time it should be more than enough. I just don't know if I have any antennas laying around anywhere lol.

It doesn't appear The CW does any programming on the weekends. I was considering inviting you over to see my tv so you can compare apples to oranges. However if it's happening only on network programing in the time I'm not around, then that's kind of pointless.

post #3820 of 3838 Old 11-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Well I'll look for an antenna and report back.

Anybody else around here with a nice 1080p TV able to check as well? haha
post #3821 of 3838 Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CW25 reception

Hello, I'm in portage, MI and have always been able to pick up cw25.
ABC57 I usually would pull in for a few seconds and it would go out.
Over the last 2 months I have lost CW completely TV won't even scan it in and ABC comes in beautiful.
Any ideas?
post #3822 of 3838 Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Very interesting: tonight on CW25 the ABC57 election results overlay is displayed at the proper 1080i resolution, whereas the actual episode looks just as low resolution as before.

I'd say that pretty much confirms its not U-verse doing this.

post #3823 of 3838 Old 04-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Poor CW Reception

I live about 45-50 miles Northeast of South Bend in St. Joseph county Michigan. All South Bend Channels show a signal strength of 90 - 100 which is excellent. The exception to that is the CW. 25-1 and 25-2. Most of the time the signal is so weak it won't even come in pixelated. I use a channel master antenna and pre-amp and an inexpensive 10dB gain distribution amp

Why is the CW so poor when everything else is great?
post #3824 of 3838 Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post
I live about 45-50 miles Northeast of South Bend in St. Joseph county Michigan. All South Bend Channels show a signal strength of 90 - 100 which is excellent. The exception to that is the CW. 25-1 and 25-2. Most of the time the signal is so weak it won't even come in pixelated. I use a channel master antenna and pre-amp and an inexpensive 10dB gain distribution amp

Why is the CW so poor when everything else is great?
Have you thought about contacting CW?
post #3825 of 3838 Old 05-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
South Bend TV landscape could be flipped upside down

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...ebook-comments
post #3826 of 3838 Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 9
post #3827 of 3838 Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am just west of UP Mall so all the towers are almost due south. The TV fool plot shows they fall within 169-189 deg of my house. I live in a wooded subdivision so there are lots of trees between my roof mounted antenna and the towers.

I am curious why WSBT (channel 22) often has lousy reception (pixelation and audio dropouts). Even on clear, calm days I will experience this (although it is worse in windy or rainy weather.) What I find odd is I have these issues on WSBT even on days when reception on some of the lower power channels (e.g., ch 57) is just fine. Is this just the nature of the OTA beast?
BoblK likes this.
post #3828 of 3838 Unread 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The last few months 22.1 22.2 & 22.3 have has very poor signal strength. Other channels are in the 90-100% range from South Bend. 45-50 miles Northeast in St. Joseph County Michigan. Has something changed at CBS South Bend?
post #3829 of 3838 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
FOX is moving to SBT2/ 22.2 from WSJV 28 on Monday, August 1st. The weather channel 22.3 will go away to improve the picture quality on 22.2.

Comcast in La Porte does not even carry 22.2, good thing I use the antenna! Both 28.1 and 22.2 will simulcast the same channel at first. I wonder what Sinclair will do with 28.

SBT-2 to become FOX affiliate Monday, Aug. 1:
http://wsbt.com/news/local/sbt-2-to-...onday-august-1
post #3830 of 3838 Unread Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I'm aware Uverse doesn't carry 22.2 correct? If they do it's certainly not in HD. This sucks.
post #3831 of 3838 Unread Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
From the South Bend Tribune: http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...f79794a92.html

It almost sounds like Sinclair has no plans to do anything with 28 other than just airing H&I. We can't even pick up the South Bend CW out here at the Porter/ La Porte County line by Valparaiso but we can get 16,22,28,34,46,57,69 via the antenna. I still have never pulled in CW25 on the antenna. I would rather get that instead of H&I.

It seems like a waste to just gut one of the few high-power signals in South Bend and basically shut it down. I know several people with cable in this area who will lose the South Bend Fox affiliate when it is at 22.2. Sinclair says they will negotiate to get it added, but Comcast out here has never added a single subchannel from South Bend, only the main 5 high-powered ones.

Why not at least put the South Bend cubs games on 28? They are dropping those broadcasts from 22.2.

Of course I wonder if maybe Sinclair has other plans with WSJV. Would it be possible they could add Get TV or Grit?

Last edited by Timroberts; Yesterday at 09:09 PM.
post #3832 of 3838 Unread Today, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WSJV will probably auction their bandwidth.
post #3833 of 3838 Unread Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 35
In the press releases it says Dish will carry it on channel 30. The reasoning behind this is such. When Dish carries a subchannel they usually go by this example to give it a channel number
-They use the stations RF number....now since WSBT 22 is on RF22 that wont work
-They use the stations pre-dtv number...WSBT's pre-DTV number was 30. Bingo. There it is

The other examples they use are that they come to an agreement with the channel spot.
The worst example is when a market is short (missing an affiliate) and then they get one. Dish puts it in the "old" spot. Example is Jonesboro, AR. They were a ABC only market (well PBS too). Dish imported Memphis on 5 (NBC), 3 (CBS) and 13 (FOX). When J'Boro got the other BIg 4 nets locally instead of putting them on 39 (FOX), 42 (CBS) and 9 (NBC...KAIT's pre-dtv spot) they put them at the Memphis slots.
post #3834 of 3838 Unread Today, 11:23 AM

I am anxious about the extra compression necessary to have two HD channels on one digital carrier. I hope the PQ isn't degraded too much!
post #3835 of 3838 Unread Today, 11:25 AM

I expect Channel 16 to acquire the ABC programming in a similar move.
post #3836 of 3838 Unread Today, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflora View Post
I am anxious about the extra compression necessary to have two HD channels on one digital carrier. I hope the PQ isn't degraded too much!
There is a reason they are dropping 22-3 (the WX station). There are lots of areas that are running dual HD (some with dual HD + a SD) and the picture is just fine.

Its amazing what newer encoders can do
post #3837 of 3838 Unread Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflora View Post
I expect Channel 16 to acquire the ABC programming in a similar move.
Why? Is Weigel looking to sell?

And lets say Weigel wanted to sell their stations since they are LD (LP) stations whoever buys them can still run the stations as is. The FCC rule is you can't own 2 separate stations that are the top 4 in a market. You can put programming on your sub (as Sinclair is doing) or you can have it on a LP station. Those are OK.
post #3838 of 3838 Unread Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Why? Is Weigel looking to sell?

And lets say Weigel wanted to sell their stations since they are LD (LP) stations whoever buys them can still run the stations as is. The FCC rule is you can't own 2 separate stations that are the top 4 in a market. You can put programming on your sub (as Sinclair is doing) or you can have it on a LP station. Those are OK.
From what I read, low power stations are very much in limbo regarding the upcoming bandwidth auction. That auction will greatly change the landscape of OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception