South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 3822 Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It can be hard to notice since it's happening at 60Hz, but if you get close and focus on the edges, it might be more noticeable if it's happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3822 Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
It can be hard to notice since it's happening at 60Hz, but if you get close and focus on the edges, it might be more noticeable if it's happening.
Right now a movie is on called Heaven Can Wait. It is showing on CW 25 cropped in the 4x3 format. I verified the channel is still broadcasting 1080i 16x9 but I wouldn't expect that to change anyways. This made it easier to watch for any flashing along the edges. There wasn't any.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
post #3813 of 3822 Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

I forgot to note my 60" is set to 120 hz with the film mode set to standard. This appears to give my set the advantage of eliminating LCD blurring without the "soap opera effect."

post #3814 of 3822 Old 10-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I noticed earlier this year when first noticing this problem was that I didn't notice it during the daytime, but did notice it during typical primetime programming. Perhaps the different source is the culprit?

Although, it's possible your TV's film mode may have some impact on that, but I couldn't say as I don't know what model your TV is or what exactly that film mode does.
post #3815 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One thing I noticed earlier this year when first noticing this problem was that I didn't notice it during the daytime, but did notice it during typical primetime programming. Perhaps the different source is the culprit?

Although, it's possible your TV's film mode may have some impact on that, but I couldn't say as I don't know what model your TV is or what exactly that film mode does.
I have a 60" Sharp Aquos. I think film mode compensates for the soap opera effect by lowering to the 24 frame standard when in 120 hz mode. I may be wrong but I think what the TV is doing is interpretating more frames in the same space at 120 hz in what would be 1 frame at 60 hz. The advantage of doing this is to reduce or eliminate LCD blurring without the soap opera effect. However you can actually change film mode to get the soap opera effect back. The reason anyone would do that boils down to getting more realism during sports events.

post #3816 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post
I have a 60" Sharp Aquos. I think film mode compensates for the soap opera effect by lowering to the 24 frame standard when in 120 hz mode. I may be wrong but I think what the TV is doing is interpretating more frames in the same space at 120 hz in what would be 1 frame at 60 hz. The advantage of doing this is to reduce or eliminate LCD blurring without the soap opera effect. However you can actually change film mode to get the soap opera effect back. The reason anyone would do that boils down to getting more realism during sports events.

If it's processing the 1080i as 24fps, then yeah that's the same thing my TV is doing too, which is why you would see no interlace flickering.

And this is the TV you took the pictures from The Flash on, right?

If that's the case I'm going to need to find an antenna to test on my TV. If it really is Uverse, then it's happening specifically to that channel. Although I have seen this kind of problem on WSBT, it was only during specific TV programs (the late night shows, and it didn't affect the network logo) and the rest of their shows displayed properly, so I figured that was a problem with the production process of those shows.

If I don't get the problem with OTA, then the problem either lies in the signal between WCWW and AT&T, or AT&T is doing something to manipulate the signal. Either way I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3817 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it's processing the 1080i as 24fps, then yeah that's the same thing my TV is doing too, which is why you would see no interlace flickering.

And this is the TV you took the pictures from The Flash on, right?

If that's the case I'm going to need to find an antenna to test on my TV. If it really is Uverse, then it's happening specifically to that channel. Although I have seen this kind of problem on WSBT, it was only during specific TV programs (the late night shows, and it didn't affect the network logo) and the rest of their shows displayed properly, so I figured that was a problem with the production process of those shows.

If I don't get the problem with OTA, then the problem either lies in the signal between WCWW and AT&T, or AT&T is doing something to manipulate the signal. Either way I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Yes it is the same tv I took pictures of CW 25 on but the pics I took of the Flash was on Hulu. As for trying to catch prime time content, that's difficult for me as I work second shift during the week days. As for antenna, where are you located? If your close enough to CW 25, you don't need anything special. A crappie set of rabbit ears should do the trick.

post #3818 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post
Yes it is the same tv I took pictures of CW 25 on but the pics I took of the Flash was on Hulu. As for trying to catch prime time content, that's difficult for me as I work second shift during the week days. As for antenna, where are you located? If your close enough to CW 25, you don't need anything special. A crappie set of rabbit ears should do the trick.

Oh okay. Does The CW play any network content on the weekends like repeats of some of the shows during the week or anything maybe? Because yeah I was mostly noticing the problem on network content, which to me definitely seemed to suggest it was a problem with how CW25 handled the network signal.

I'm not that close to CW25 but even if I can just pick up a few seconds of signal at a time it should be more than enough. I just don't know if I have any antennas laying around anywhere lol.

post #3819 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh okay. Does The CW play any network content on the weekends like repeats of some of the shows during the week or anything maybe? Because yeah I was mostly noticing the problem on network content, which to me definitely seemed to suggest it was a problem with how CW25 handled the network signal.

I'm not that close to CW25 but even if I can just pick up a few seconds of signal at a time it should be more than enough. I just don't know if I have any antennas laying around anywhere lol.

It doesn't appear The CW does any programming on the weekends. I was considering inviting you over to see my tv so you can compare apples to oranges. However if it's happening only on network programing in the time I'm not around, then that's kind of pointless.

post #3820 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Well I'll look for an antenna and report back.

Anybody else around here with a nice 1080p TV able to check as well? haha
post #3821 of 3822 Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CW25 reception

Hello, I'm in portage, MI and have always been able to pick up cw25.
ABC57 I usually would pull in for a few seconds and it would go out.
Over the last 2 months I have lost CW completely TV won't even scan it in and ABC comes in beautiful.
Any ideas?
post #3822 of 3822 Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Very interesting: tonight on CW25 the ABC57 election results overlay is displayed at the proper 1080i resolution, whereas the actual episode looks just as low resolution as before.

I'd say that pretty much confirms its not U-verse doing this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page